ADVERTISEMENT

Damn... :)

Also, not many pitchers are retaliating with 88mpg changeups.

First 5 clips of this video are

92mph
98mph
94mph
94mp
99mph

@Villian07 even said he’s throwing at the guys head for ****’s sake.

There’s a difference between throwing AT someone mid 90s and throwing a little inside high 80s.

Good point. I agree throwing at guys is silly and wrong. There isn't any place for it.

Bring a Detroit Tigers fan, I mainly watch American League games, so it seems it's easier for an American league pitcher to throw at a batter to pay a guy back for showing him up or doing something to a teammate, because AL pitchers don’t have to hit. Although, you're putting your teammates in danger when you throw at someone, because now one of them is going to be a target.

I don’t watch enough NL games to know, but does it happen in the NL very often? Those pitchers have to step up fo the plate.

Absurd take? A bat flip and pimping a HR is trolling and showing up a pitcher. The catch and wait is trolling and showing up the batter. Acting like one is way worse than the other in terms of being an asshole is silly.

I didn’t say throwing at a batter is TRYING to injure them. I’m saying the risk of injuring the batter when you throw at him rises a lot more than when you throw at the strike zone.

You aim for the back and it gets away from you and guess what? That might be above the shoulders. You aim for the thigh and it gets away from you, guess what? That maybe a knee. You aim for the abdomen and it gets away from you guess what? That might be a wrist.

You aim for the middle of the plate and it gets away from you, you might hit someone up high.

How many times have u seen a bat flip? Now how many times have u seen what that asshat OF did??? Tells u all u need to know on the difference.

Bc it shows they aren’t remotely comparable.
Why? I think they are. All of these things are dick moves, but the main reason you don’t see an outfielder troll a batter like this guy did, is because robbing a home run like that, just doesn’t happen very often. There might be 400 home runs hit for every robbed home run.
I just don’t see how one is more dick-ish than the others.
Honestly, I would put bat flipping at the top if I had to. That's telling the pitcher that he ain't shit. What the outfielder did was more of a funny moment than anything. If I was the batter, I'd probably laugh, but if I'm a pitcher and a dude flips his bat after he homers off me, that's not funny at all, that's a slap in the face.

We can agree to disagree. Both things are definitely showing up the opponent, I just think pretending u didn’t catch a ball and watch the hitter run the bases and go to the dugou before reavealing u caught it is much much worse, but just my opinion.

And great point on the lack of opportunity regarding robbing homers.

You aim for the middle of the plate and it gets away from you, you might hit someone up high.

How many times have u seen a bat flip? Now how many times have u seen what that asshat OF did??? Tells u all u need to know on the difference.

The risk of injury doesn’t increase when you aim at someone vs aiming over the plate would be the dumbest thing anyone has ever tried to argue here.

We can agree to disagree. Both things are definitely showing up the opponent, I just think pretending u didn’t catch a ball and watch the hitter run the bases and go to the dugou before reavealing u caught it is much much worse, but just my opinion.

Why lie? He literally throws the ball in when the runner is between 2nd and 3rd.

Tyrrell Hatton had an iron flip this weekend but it was after a bad shot. It was kind of cool though.

Reactions: IUfanBorden

Yeah, but how is that worse than jacking a home run, then flipping the bat? To me, it’s not close, flipping the bat on a pitcher is telling him he sucks, the outfielder that tricked the hitter, certainly didn't insult him, he just pulled a prank.

Yeah, but how is that worse than jacking a home run, then flipping the bat? To me, it’s not close, flipping the bat on a pitcher is telling him he sucks, the outfielder that tricked the hitter, certainly didn't insult him, he just pulled a prank.

And the prank is being exaggerated. He didn't wait until the batter was back in the dugout before throwing the ball in.

Reactions: kyjeff1
And the prank is being exaggerated. He didn't wait until the batter was back in the dugout before throwing the ball in.
Agreed. I'd have waited for that bitch to make it into the dugout before I took the ball out of my glove and threw it in.

Flipping a bat is celebrating something you did. The equivalent would be robbing a home run and going crazy celebrating or dancing or something. The equivalent is not what he did. It was humorous and I'm glad I got to see it but the two aren't really analogous.

Flipping a bat is celebrating something you did. The equivalent would be robbing a home run and going crazy celebrating or dancing or something. The equivalent is not what he did. It was humorous and I'm glad I got to see it but the two aren't really analogous.

Lol you think these are just celebrating and not showing up / trolling the pitcher?

Lol, that first one is hilarious and is definitely showing up the pitcher. I only watched about three after that and the pitcher would have to be pretty sensitive to take offense to any of those.

I don't see how any of that has to do with the two not being the same thing though.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
It would be a much better argument to just say it's a bit of a dick move but one is cool with it than to try and compare it to flipping a bat or celebrating a SO.

It would be a much better argument to just say it's a bit of a dick move but one is cool with it than to try and compare it to flipping a bat or celebrating a SO.

You take same way too literal.

They are the same in that they are both dick moves / trolling. One is to make the pitcher look bad, one is a prank.

Reactions: kyjeff1
I think I take same/similar exactly how it is meant to be taken. I think the comparison is narrowing the meaning too specifically.

One is to celebrate in some way something. The other is not at all that or even remotely close to it. The entire premise of what that player did was to troll, which was entertaining. Anyway, we just disagree, which is all good. It was a pretty funny video IMO.

On a sad note, because this thread seems to be one people are looking at, Jeff Bridges has Lymphoma, which is super crappy.

I guess we view bat flips differently. But I have seen some bat flips that weren't as pronounced and didn't show up the pitcher as much.
But there are some that, in my opinion, are worse than staring at the home run you just hit, which, really, is nothing to get mad at. If staring at your hr is a dick move, than a bat flip certainly is.

Why lie? He literally throws the ball in when the runner is between 2nd and 3rd.

Who was walking in the dugout high fiving teammates? That wasn’t the batter? My mistake I saw it on Highly Questionable not the net so I obviously didn’t see the whole clip. Not so stupid as to lie about something you can rewatch. My mistake.

I like the prank comparison, to me bat flipping is more of a celebration where what that guy did was more of a prank.

Who was walking in the dugout high fiving teammates? That wasn’t the batter? My mistake I saw it on Highly Questionable not the net so I obviously didn’t see the whole clip. Not so stupid as to lie about something you can rewatch. My mistake.

I like the prank comparison, to me bat flipping is more of a celebration where what that guy did was more of a prank.

The fielder clearly throws the ball in when the batter is between 2nd and 3rd.

It took a while for everyone to realize that the ball being tossed in from the center fielder was the ball that they thought went out. But you can see him throw the ball in much earlier than most on here realize. He didn't wait for the guy to finish high fiving.

Ok totally my bad. Still a dick move but not nearly as egregious as waiting for dude to get back to the dugout and celebrate with his teammates before revealing he had the ball.

My apologies for spreading that false narrative.

Ok totally my bad. Still a dick move but not nearly as egregious as waiting for dude to get back to the dugout and celebrate with his teammates before revealing he had the ball.

My apologies for spreading that false narrative.
There are a lot of these "unwritten rules" that become a huge issue and honestly some of them are stupid. I get it, it’s a serious game, but if you're going to get pissed because a.guy doesn't do cartwheels after he robs a hr or a guy stares down a hr, than you should also get upset at a bat flip, but that's not usually the case.
Most of the time, these guys that rob home runs are usually extremely excited, this dude held it together and obviously planned to do it, so he'll probably get nailed his next time up at bat, but it's funny as hell.

The thing is I’m not even a fan of the unwritten rules, I’m all for letting the guys have fun. Bat flips, pitchers getting fired up after Ks, fielders celebrating great catches, the hang signals after a hit (feed me, flexing etc) are no different than TD of first down celebrations in football.

This guy just took it above and beyond imo. Getting excited in the heat of athletic competition is more understandable than pulling an elaborate prank that he’d obv been thinking about before. But again jmo.

It was funny, I just don’t think it has a place in professional baseball. What if there were no outs and 2 people on base and he did this, then proceeded to turn a triple play by tripling off the runners if they assumed it was gone and didn’t tag correctly.

I see nothing wrong with it.

I also see nothing wrong with first baseman pretending to throw the ball back to the pitcher only to take out the base runner for leading off the bag.

The dupe is not a victim.

Reactions: treyforuk
I see nothing wrong with it.

I also see nothing wrong with first baseman pretending to throw the ball back to the pitcher only to take out the base runner for leading off the bag.

The dupe is not a victim.

At least that serves a purpose, to get an out. This was just for dude to look cute and make a viral highlight, or whatever his intention was, it had nothing to with gaining an advantage in the game.

At least that serves a purpose, to get an out. This was just for dude to look cute and make a viral highlight, or whatever his intention was, it had nothing to with gaining an advantage in the game.
There's no way he pre-planned that. That would be impossible to do.

No it wouldn’t. He coulda had the thought 5 years ago.

“If I ever rob a homer I’m gonna pretend that I didn’t catch it and hide it in my glove”

Obv you can’t pre plan robbing a HR, but you can pre-plan ur actions if you do. Hell we used to practice robbing HRs in high school when 90% of the games never had a HR from either team. (Our coach was an asshat tho lol)

No different than pre planning a TD celebration, just robbing a hr is much much much less likely.

You think it just hit him in that moment? He makes a great catch and robs a homer and instead of instantly and naturally getting excited, he does that. Definitely pre meditated imo.

If he pre-planned that then kudos to him for making his diabolical plan come to fruition without a hitch.

If he pre-planned that then kudos to him for making his diabolical plan come to fruition without a hitch.

I think it’s more likely he pre-planned it than him suppressing the emotion of robbing a HR and decide to do that in the spur of the moment. B

But I mean obv just a hunch/opinion, nothin gonna prove it one way or another.

I think it’s more likely he pre-planned it than him suppressing the emotion of robbing a HR and decide to do that in the spur of the moment. B

But I mean obv just a hunch/opinion, nothin gonna prove it one way or another.
He was probably surprised to see someone actually fall for it.

The thing is I’m not even a fan of the unwritten rules, I’m all for letting the guys have fun. Bat flips, pitchers getting fired up after Ks, fielders celebrating great catches, the hang signals after a hit (feed me, flexing etc) are no different than TD of first down celebrations in football.

This guy just took it above and beyond imo. Getting excited in the heat of athletic competition is more understandable than pulling an elaborate prank that he’d obv been thinking about before. But again jmo.

It was funny, I just don’t think it has a place in professional baseball. What if there were no outs and 2 people on base and he did this, then proceeded to turn a triple play by tripling off the runners if they assumed it was gone and didn’t tag correctly.
Haha, your last scenario is a good question. It’s kind of the same thing as hiding the baseball in the first baseman's glove after a pitchers mound visit, then tagging the base runner out when he takes a lead.
I would like to see someone try it to see what happens. I would love to see how the officials would handle that.

ADVERTISEMENT