ADVERTISEMENT

Dalton Knecht

Really good player. The only thing better than having a projected lottery/top 15 pick on your team is having one that has 4 yrs of college ball under his belt.

Big time player for UT.
Yeah, he is exactly what we needed. He is multidimensional and not limited to just one mode of attack. He rolled his ankle earlier in the season and it hobbled him some, but he is good to go now and his numbers reflect that. He changes the paradigm.

It baffles me how a talent like him can be such a nobody out of high school. I mean, did he gain 40 lbs or grow 6 inches since he graduated??
kinda, he had a late growth spurt.

Reactions: GhostVol
It baffles me how a talent like him can be such a nobody out of high school. I mean, did he gain 40 lbs or grow 6 inches since he graduated??
He made quite a bit of noise last year. He’s just one of those diamonds in the rough that put the work in and Rick Barnes landed him at the right time.

He made quite a bit of noise last year. He’s just one of those diamonds in the rough that put the work in and Rick Barnes landed him at the right time.
It's not like y'all don't have talented players. You can't have them all. He was exactly what we needed though.

I don't mean this as insult, but I wouldn't take 2 UK players for Knecht. He just fits perfectly with us.
I can understand that, Knecht is the perfect fit for this UT fan.
We need to get Ado back and healthy for those games against you guys. He's the only guy we have that has a chance to contain him.

Reactions: treyforuk
I can understand that, Knecht is the perfect fit for this UT fan.
We need to get Ado back and healthy for those games against you guys. He's the only guy we have that has a chance to contain him.
There you go talking about "containing" someone again. How many seconds per practice do you think Cal allocates for defense?

There you go talking about "containing" someone again. How many seconds per practice do you think Cal allocates for defense?
Actually, Cal is a great defensive coach, take a look at the stats from most of his previous teams. 2015 was historically great defensively. The problem is, he’s got too many freshmen in key positions and they're just not there yet, but they will be.

If you're gonna beat UK, better get em now.

Actually, Cal is a great defensive coach, take a look at the stats from most of his previous teams. 2015 was historically great defensively. The problem is, he’s got too many freshmen in key positions and they're just not there yet, but they will be.

If you're gonna beat UK, better get em now.
I agree they will probably be pretty tough after a few years in the NBA.

Compare the stats.
It's not about averages, it's about excellence. Knecht has shot over 30 several times recently. He almost had 40 pts one game. Reeves has not shot over 30 ever. Don't be jelly over the Vols having a superstar.

It's not about averages, it's about excellence. Knecht has shot over 30 several times recently. He almost had 40 pts one game. Reeves has not shot over 30 ever. Don't be jelly over the Vols having a superstar.
I don't see anyone on this UK team getting a crazy high number of points, or shots. Reeves makes good on his opportunities, he’s turned into an elite scorer at all 3 levels.

The issue is, who do you focus on? UK plays a 5 out offense and everyone on the court can go off on you and they can do it with two rotations of guys. Who do you double up, or trap?

If I'm scheming for UT, I focus on Knecht. You limit him and you have a decent chance to win as long as you score against that defense.

Tonight should be interesting. South Carolina hasn’t let anyone score over 80, because they play slow. Haven't seen anyone slow UK down in a while, so I'm anxious to see how this one plays out.

I don't see anyone on this UK team getting a crazy high number of points, or shots. Reeves makes good on his opportunities, he’s turned into an elite scorer at all 3 levels.

The issue is, who do you focus on? UK plays a 5 out offense and everyone on the court can go off on you and they can do it with two rotations of guys. Who do you double up, or trap?

If I'm scheming for UT, I focus on Knecht. You limit him and you have a decent chance to win as long as you score against that defense.

Tonight should be interesting. South Carolina hasn’t let anyone score over 80, because they play slow. Haven't seen anyone slow UK down in a while, so I'm anxious to see how this one plays out.
The Vols went to the S16 with this same team minus Knecht and Ziegler. If someone focuses on Knecht we will have a lot of options. Also Knecht is a 6'6 Guard that is too big to be covered by a guard and to fast to be covered by a forward. Oats said they tried to stop Knecht, but he still hit 27pts.

The Vols went to the S16 with this same team minus Knecht and Ziegler. If someone focuses on Knecht we will have a lot of options. Also Knecht is a 6'6 Guard that is too big to be covered by a guard and to fast to be covered by a forward. Oats said they tried to stop Knecht, but he still hit 27pts.
I'm thinking Cal will put Ado (6'8") on him and throw 6'6" Reeves at him too. DK is going to score, you just can't let him get 40.

Rahim from UGA scored 34 on UK the other night, but nobody even talked about it. If UK didn’t let off the gas, they win that game by 30.

I feel like you have to beat this UK team by hitting a lot of 3's. You have to outscore them.

UT's defense is the most intense defense in the country, they come out and guard you beyond the 3 point line, which takes the 3 point shot away.

With UK playing a 5 out offense, that should open the paint, but Rick Barnes isn't going to fall into that trap. Should be 2 great games… again.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
I'm thinking Cal will put Ado (6'8") on him and throw 6'6" Reeves at him too. DK is going to score, you just can't let him get 40.

Rahim from UGA scored 34 on UK the other night, but nobody even talked about it. If UK didn’t let off the gas, they win that game by 30.

I feel like you have to beat this UK team by hitting a lot of 3's. You have to outscore them.

UT's defense is the most intense defense in the country, they come out and guard you beyond the 3 point line, which takes the 3 point shot away.

With UK playing a 5 out offense, that should open the paint, but Rick Barnes isn't going to fall into that trap. Should be 2 great games… again.
I think we should approach you kinda the way we approached bama.

I think we should approach you kinda the way we approached bama.
Bama turns the ball over too much and if you take Sears away, they sputter. UK is more efficient and danferous offensively and with three 7 footers and 4 elite shooters, they're tougher to guard than Bama.

Bama's offense is a tightrope walk. They are so loose with the ball because they're trying to play so fast. Seems like they're always on the verge of throwing the ball away.

There's a reason why they have so many losses and are unranked. But, we're counting on them to get the job done this week against Auburn.

Bama turns the ball over too much and if you take Sears away, they sputter. UK is more efficient and danferous offensively and with three 7 footers and 4 elite shooters, they're tougher to guard than Bama.

Bama's offense is a tightrope walk. They are so loose with the ball because they're trying to play so fast. Seems like they're always on the verge of throwing the ball away.

There's a reason why they have so many losses and are unranked. But, we're counting on them to get the job done this week against Auburn.
bama averages 12 turnovers a game. They had 22 against the Vols. That is defense making a difference. bama shoots the 3 and is good at it. The Vols held them to 19% from 3. That is defense making a difference.
#defensematters

Tennessee has played more really good teams and I hope we can shock UK and get the win, but rd 1 is in Lexington and home court will matter bigly.

Reactions: kyjeff1
His road splits are really impressive, too. 24 ppg, 5 reb, 2 ast, 1 blk, 1 stl, 52% fg, 48% 3-pt.

I had never seen Knecht play before this year. But, it was pretty obvious early on in the season that this kid can create his own shot so effortlessly. By the time Maui was over, it was clear he was the star of the team and had All-American potential. He went from an unknown, to a possible 2nd round pick, to a 1st rounder... and now he's working his way into possibly being a lottery pick. What a transformation!

Two years ago he was averaging just 9 ppg or in the lowly Big Sky Conference. Players certainly don't develop at the same age or rate. Such is the case of Knecht.

I think we should put Big Z on him. Let him deal with someone 7’2” the whole game who may not be as mobile, but has the length to pick up the slack.

I think we should put Big Z on him. Let him deal with someone 7’2” the whole game who may not be as mobile, but has the length to pick up the slack.
I think he would foul Z out very quickly, but Z is VERY mobile fir a 7 footer. He might actually fare pretty well.
Knecht is not an easy guy to check.

So this is the year UT breaks through and makes a final four? Shouldn’t be any excuses not to make it this year. Rod had a solid team in Knoxville this year. I think he gets there this year.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Just wanted to say Hi to Bert! I know that you don’t follow football here as much as you do basketball, but I lost Mrs GV last month. Just now getting to the point where I’m getting back to social media. Hope you’re doing well
Hope you come around more often buddy. You’ve always been one of, if not the best UT fans on the board. Hate to hear about the passing of your wife. Always around here if you ever just somebody to talk with.

Just wanted to say Hi to Bert! I know that you don’t follow football here as much as you do basketball, but I lost Mrs GV last month. Just now getting to the point where I’m getting back to social media. Hope you’re doing well
May God bless her soul GhostVol.

I have never experienced that pain, but I can imagine.

The best to you my friend.

I am doing well for an old fart. Thanks for the post and my prayers for you.

May God bless her soul GhostVol.

I have never experienced that pain, but I can imagine.

The best to you my friend.

I am doing well for an old fart. Thanks for the post and my prayers for you.
You said the correct word, Bert.

Pain. Pain I wouldn’t wish on anyone. I have had more talks with Jesus in one month than I have in years. Case in point: this reply at 3:38 EST. You see yourself waking up at odd hours. Any and everything reminds you of what you’ve lost. But God is merciful! I have 9 grandkids ranging from 1 to 16. They are the reason why I still wake up every morning. Each of them brings something special to my life, and for that, I’m grateful!

You said the correct word, Bert.

Pain. Pain I wouldn’t wish on anyone. I have had more talks with Jesus in one month than I have in years. Case in point: this reply at 3:38 EST. You see yourself waking up at odd hours. Any and everything reminds you of what you’ve lost. But God is merciful! I have 9 grandkids ranging from 1 to 16. They are the reason why I still wake up every morning. Each of them brings something special to my life, and for that, I’m grateful!
You are lucky to have 9 grandkids. I had two and one got killed so now I am down to 1 and I hold my breath a lot. She finishes up college this late spring in Italy. I am scared. Just selfish on my part but I wish she would stay in Lexington as I could not afford to lose her.

The best to you brother in handling this loss.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT