ADVERTISEMENT

Could you be a Play-by-Play guy or a Color Commentator?

Definitely as a color commentator. My wife and I will be watching a game, and the real color commentator will say the very thing I say 10:seconds later.
My husband always shakes his head when I lay a stat or a comment and then it's said on broadcast ~so many seconds later.

Ftr, I would not/could not tho.

I like to bounce btwn games and the lull from the ~~ 14 to 6 minute marks, both halves, normally leaves me bored to tears. I'm on my phone, looking up other scores, stats, websites, Twitter..

My husband always shakes his head when I lay a stat or a comment and then it's said on broadcast ~so many seconds later.

Ftr, I would not/could not tho.

I like to bounce btwn games and the lull from the ~~ 14 to 6 minute marks, both halves, normally leaves me bored to tears. I'm on my phone, looking up other scores, stats, websites, Twitter..
Yeah, it’d be fun for maybe a season, but after that I’d just get sick of talking.

Sometimes I'll mute the game and act as a play-by-play announcer. I don't do it for very long, maybe for one 4-minute segment. I like to know that I'm capable of doing such a feat, should ESPN ever need an emergency fill-in.

Just gotta make sure you can quickly identify all 10 players on the court.

Sometimes I'll mute the game and act as a play-by-play announcer. I don't do it for very long, maybe for one 4-minute segment. I like to know that I'm capable of doing such a feat, should ESPN ever need an emergency fill-in.

I often notice when I am watching games with friends the announcers will say exactly what I said 2 seconds prior. :cool:

Like when Vitale screams "Awesome, baby!?"
exactly-point.gif

Reactions: ExitFlagger

You as a Duke fan has a good chance of doing the play by play on ESPN; however, ESPN will not hire a UK man. Not one!

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Both jobs are extremely tough.
But one thing I'm amazed at, is how quickly the play-by-play guys know who the ball carrier, linemen and defenders are in football games on each play.
They call out the names before it's possible to see jersey numbers. If I could do that, I believe I could do play by play. Never tried, so I don't know how good, or bad, I would be.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Both jobs are extremely tough.
But one thing I'm amazed at, is how quickly the play-by-play guys know who the ball carrier, linemen and defenders are in football games on each play.
They call out the names before it's possible to see jersey numbers. If I could do that, I believe I could do play by play. Never tried, so I don't know how good, or bad, I would be.

That's tough to do, especially in football where you see several dozen players from each team. If I were calling a football game it'd be hard not to occasionally say, "Great tackle by #43!" I think I could handle that in a basketball game, but simply too many names to keep track of for football.

Basketball can be tricky sometimes when the players have similar hairstyles and body sizes - and numbers. UCLA's Sebastian Mack and Dylan Andrews is a prime example (#12 and #2). Will McClendon, a backup guard for UCLA, also has a similar hairstyle. But overall, should be much, much easier than football.

F_zJxwOaUAAdYWS

Certainly any decent play-by-play broadcaster would do a good deal of homework to familiarize themselves with as many names and faces as possible. But, it would be hard not to have a slip-up every once in a while.

You as a Duke fan has a good chance of doing the play by play on ESPN; however, ESPN will not hire a UK man. Not one!

If only I went to school for broadcast journalism.

Definitely as a color commentator. My wife and I will be watching a game, and the real color commentator will say the very thing I say 10:seconds later.

that's so funny, we actually have a game in our house where whenever one of us says something before they say it on TV we yell out "BELMONT". We've actually turned the word Belmont into a verb. This all started many years ago when we were watching the NCAA selection show and as they were going through the teams I randomly shouted out BELMONT right before they were listed as a seed. Ever since then we call it Belmonting when you say something before the announcer.

I could 100% be a color guy. No exagerration, I Belmont the announcers 15-20x per game. In both basketball and hockey.

That's tough to do, especially in football where you see several dozen players from each team. If I were calling a football game it'd be hard not to occasionally say, "Great tackle by #43!" I think I could handle that in a basketball game, but simply too many names to keep track of for football.

Basketball can be tricky sometimes when the players have similar hairstyles and body sizes - and numbers. UCLA's Sebastian Mack and Dylan Andrews is a prime example (#12 and #2). Will McClendon, a backup guard for UCLA, also has a similar hairstyle. But overall, should be much, much easier than football.

F_zJxwOaUAAdYWS

Certainly any decent play-by-play broadcaster would do a good deal of homework to familiarize themselves with as many names and faces as possible. But, it would be hard not to have a slip-up every once in a while.

Yeah, football would be tough with so many guys. If you only called games for 1 team it wouldn't be so tough, although you would still always have to do your homework on the opponents.

F_zJxwOaUAAdYWS

I think these broadcasters spend a lot of time with the teams they will be on air with and that has to help, but still, NFL and college fb players sub out a lot during the course of a game. Same with basketball.
They get all week with whatever fb teams they are doing, but in basketball, they only get a short amount of time, because they do a different game each night.
Kurt Herbstreit is doing college AND Thursday night NFL and sometimes, he does 2 college games on a Saturday, AFTER doing college gameday. That’s pretty good.

I think these broadcasters spend a lot of time with the teams they will be on air with and that has to help, but still, NFL and college fb players sub out a lot during the course of a game. Same with basketball.
They get all week with whatever fb teams they are doing, but in basketball, they only get a short amount of time, because they do a different game each night.
Kurt Herbstreit is doing college AND Thursday night NFL and sometimes, he does 2 college games on a Saturday, AFTER doing college gameday. That’s pretty good.
Yeah, Herbstreit must put in 80 hours a week not including the time he's on air. That is wild. Not to mention all the traveling he does. Dude probably never gets to sleep in his own bed during football season.

Yeah, Herbstreit must put in 80 hours a week not including the time he's on air. That is wild. Not to mention all the traveling he does. Dude probably never gets to sleep in his own bed during football season.
And he has a big family at home, something like 5 kids, but I'm sure the wife is loving the money Kurt is raking in. Do it while you can I guess.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
ADVERTISEMENT