ADVERTISEMENT

Coach K rant.

You know, it IS amazing, when you truly look at it, how many players K has coached and what a relationship he has had with them, beyond just as their college coach for a few years. Is there any other coach in history who has the same wide net of relationships that he has had? I think nearly every other college coach out there just has their college players... but the national team guys, headed by K... that's a whole different level.

And his relationship with Kobe was something else. At the first day of Olympic practice, while most of the players sat together in the back row, Kobe sat right up front, because he wanted to be able to listen to everything K said. Kobe was the first guy who really bought into what K and Jerry C wanted to do with the national team, when K took over... Kobe said that he would actually take the role of defensive stopper, putting aside the "I'm the man" thing for the betterment of the team. He really internalized the pride in country that K was talking about, even saying that an Olympic medal meant more to him than an NBA title. And this was a HUGE influence on the rest of the guys, and set the tone for a team of superstars to come together as a true TEAM. That's a big reason why we went from losing random international games to winning just about every game we played.

BTW, for those interested (which is likely most of you), here was what K said after the Pitt game, regarding Kobe.

“The last couple days have been really emotional. Look, Kobe was one of my players. I coached him on three teams, he was my leader. We had special moments, private and public. He was amazing with my grandkids. The grandson on our team (Michael Savarino), his nickname is Mamba because he met him in Beijing, and he would go to my granddaughters and ‘Hi princess’ and kiss their hand. We have a picture of my grandson, Quin, with Kobe with a gold medal and Gigi all together. My wife and my daughters have been sharing pictures. Mickie had an unbelievable relationship with Kobe, so it’s been bad, it’s been bad, and I have been very emotional about it, not publicly, but for the others involved too, are you kidding me? Nine people, horrific, so very tragic.”

GettyImages-149135314-e1580154069334-1024x681.jpg

aff880ceafab3bf683a3e8eca681adce.jpg

1701f055d66e4aeb8067ecd2fbd3b09c.ashx

Love this photo, of K wearing Kobe's medal, and the medals of all of the other guys.

Anyway... crazy how so many people were really thrown off by Kobe, and they never even met the guy. When you consider how the people who knew him well and worked with him for years and years must have felt... puts it in perspective.

You know, it IS amazing, when you truly look at it, how many players K has coached and what a relationship he has had with them, beyond just as their college coach for a few years. Is there any other coach in history who has the same wide net of relationships that he has had? I think nearly every other college coach out there just has their college players... but the national team guys, headed by K... that's a whole different level.

And his relationship with Kobe was something else. At the first day of Olympic practice, while most of the players sat together in the back row, Kobe sat right up front, because he wanted to be able to listen to everything K said. Kobe was the first guy who really bought into what K and Jerry C wanted to do with the national team, when K took over... Kobe said that he would actually take the role of defensive stopper, putting aside the "I'm the man" thing for the betterment of the team. He really internalized the pride in country that K was talking about, even saying that an Olympic medal meant more to him than an NBA title. And this was a HUGE influence on the rest of the guys, and set the tone for a team of superstars to come together as a true TEAM. That's a big reason why we went from losing random international games to winning just about every game we played.

BTW, for those interested (which is likely most of you), here was what K said after the Pitt game, regarding Kobe.

“The last couple days have been really emotional. Look, Kobe was one of my players. I coached him on three teams, he was my leader. We had special moments, private and public. He was amazing with my grandkids. The grandson on our team (Michael Savarino), his nickname is Mamba because he met him in Beijing, and he would go to my granddaughters and ‘Hi princess’ and kiss their hand. We have a picture of my grandson, Quin, with Kobe with a gold medal and Gigi all together. My wife and my daughters have been sharing pictures. Mickie had an unbelievable relationship with Kobe, so it’s been bad, it’s been bad, and I have been very emotional about it, not publicly, but for the others involved too, are you kidding me? Nine people, horrific, so very tragic.”

Love this photo, of K wearing Kobe's medal, and the medals of all of the other guys.

Anyway... crazy how so many people were really thrown off by Kobe, and they never even met the guy. When you consider how the people who knew him well and worked with him for years and years must have felt... puts it in perspective.
So you think he melted down due to his mental state at the time? Why else bring this up?Others played and coached him as well.

Eh, I would bet if another HOF coach went nuts yelling at his own fans like that we would discuss it here. Thankfully, I bet we will never know.

Roy takes the classy approach and insults his fans at a press conference, instead of at the game.

If he truly had a mental breakdown due to Kobe's death, why didn't he say that in the first place instead of waiting til it was the lead on all the morning talk shows? I'm sure it bothered it him, but at this point it looks like a way to deflect criticism.

I was telling J last night, I can't watch his last game without getting emotional. I watched it live in 2016. Was just about to graduate from college. It was like my childhood was ending right before my very eyes. One of the few times I have cried during a live sporting event. I was with two of my friends at the time, and usually they would give me crap for getting emotional. But they knew how much I loved Kobe, and how hard it was for me to say goodbye to him on the court.

Still can't believe he's gone.

Reactions: TheDude1
Sure, I think that was part of it. The guy had had a young man he coached for years and years, a young man he was close with, die in a horribly tragic way. His young daughter died too. This was K's first big public event after it, and it was an emotional one anyway, as the coach on the other sideline is a guy he calls his "son" (Duke fans know that K is famously emotional when it comes to playing against former players.) My guess is that K was already fired up and emotional, and that played a part in his overreaction.

What is going on in peoples lives have a big impact on their emotional state. When they have a big emotional outburst during a time of great personal stress, only an idiot would say that the two aren't connected.

On another note, it's also interesting to see how K connects to SO many players in a way that not many coaches in history do.

I was telling J last night, I can't watch his last game without getting emotional. I watched it live in 2016. Was just about to graduate from college. It was like my childhood was ending right before my very eyes. One of the few times I have cried during a live sporting event. I was with two of my friends at the time, and usually they would give me crap for getting emotional. But they knew how much I loved Kobe, and how hard it was for me to say goodbye to him on the court.

Yeah, I'm sort of shocked we haven't discussed it more! But Brandon getting all crazy sort of put the kibosh on it.

BTW, I'm sick as a dog, so my plans tonight I think are getting cancelled, so I SHOULD be on.

Yeah, I'm sort of shocked we haven't discussed it more! But Brandon getting all crazy sort of put the kibosh on it.

BTW, I'm sick as a dog, so my plans tonight I think are getting cancelled, so I SHOULD be on.
I think he's just trolling, but yea, what a dick for sure haha

This is a guy who thinks Manu Ginobili is the GOAT

Just don't Coach K it, and meltdown on anyone online.

Make sure you hear them properly and act accordingly.

Reactions: JimboBBN
If he truly had a mental breakdown due to Kobe's death, why didn't he say that in the first place instead of waiting til it was the lead on all the morning talk shows? I'm sure it bothered it him, but at this point it looks like a way to deflect criticism.

He literally mentioned it in the postgame press conference.

He literally mentioned it in the postgame press conference.
We saw. It's a great out. Students chanting to Capel, K melts down, K brings up Kobe when he misunderstood. Is that right?

Seriously, the guy can do no wrong. He has a legacy to protect.

We're all going to one day forget his flaws. Eyeroll

"Remember that time he melted down and chastised his student section because he was grieving Kobe's death? yeah, that really happened. Turns out they were being complimentary to the opposing coach who helped resurrect Duke in the late 2010's".

Last edited:
Reactions: RipThru
We saw. It's a great out. Student chanting to Capel, K melts down, K brings up Kobe when his misunderstood. Is that right?

Seems a little far-fetched. Not a good look. He just needs to apologize and own up to it.

Is it possible he was a little on edge and his emotions were all over the place since the passing of Kobe? Sure. But, he insisted in the initial conversation that he was simply trying to defend his former player. No need to bring up Kobe.

Seems a little far-fetched. Not a good look. He just needs to apologize and own up to it.

Is it possible he was a little on edge and his emotions were all over the place since the passing of Kobe? Sure. But, he insisted in the initial conversation that he was simply trying to defend his former player. No need to bring up Kobe.
That's it. Well said.No need for excuses or sugar coating. Well done friend.

I love when members are short and concise.

He's seems like a good guy and certainly knows his way around a chalkboard.

But there's no way he wins that many games running a completely clean program.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84

He had to sleep on it.

He's seems like a good guy and certainly knows his way around a chalkboard.

But there's no way he wins that many games running a completely clean program.
No way. Bagley totally passed Algebra 1 and 2 + English in 1 summer just to enroll early at Duke. This happens after he played for 3 different high schools, one of which was not accredited.

And then Zion's handler/dad/somebody asks Kansas for cars, money, houses and job security then decides nah fvck it I'll go to Duke for the college experience.

Totally legit. Nothing to see here kinda stuff.

Yeah, I watched the fourth quarter the other night. Watching his daughter cheer was the worst. I definitely remember watching it when it happened. I wasn't a Kobe guy but he was an all time great.

I don't think it is far fetched at all. It had just happened. They literally honored Kobe during the game. Sure, immediately after it, when the press mentioned what the students were saying, he may not have IMMEDIATELY gone to "You know what? I've been a bit on edge, so maybe that led to it." Sometimes when we get upset we don't immediately dive into the underlying causes. But I don't know how you could look at the few days he had had and NOT attribute some of it to the emotion of Kobe's death.

....awfully convenient.

Convenient to discuss something that was a big story and that he was emotional about and that the press asked about?

Man, the K and Duke hate is really over the top.

Okay, you guys keep going on about K and insisting that it isn't a lot of sour grapes. Have fun with it;)

I think it is just an excuse. There are no need for excuses. Just own it. He isn't a child. For some there is always an excuse for his poor behavior though.

I don't think it is far fetched at all. It had just happened. They literally honored Kobe during the game. Sure, immediately after it, when the press mentioned what the students were saying, he may not have IMMEDIATELY gone to "You know what? I've been a bit on edge, so maybe that led to it." Sometimes when we get upset we don't immediately dive into the underlying causes. But I don't know how you could look at the few days he had had and NOT attribute some of it to the emotion of Kobe's death.
So, w/o Kobe's death, Coach K would have heard the student chant to Capel differently? "He's one of ours" would have never came into play w/o Kobe's death?

Reactions: jhmossy and RipThru
Convenient to discuss something that was a big story and that he was emotional about and that the press asked about?

Man, the K and Duke hate is really over the top.

Okay, you guys keep going on about K and insisting that it isn't a lot of sour grapes. Have fun with it;)
I understand you lashing to ppl talking about K lashing out.

So, w/o Kobe's death, Coach K would have heard the student chant to Capel differently? "He's one of ours" would have never came into play w/o Kobe's death?

Oh, it may have, but I think his over the top reaction probably happened in part because he was an emotional mess. I mean... I've been watching Duke for, like, nearly 30 years, and I don't know if I ever remember him doing that at Cameron. Makes sense to me that something contributed to that. I don't think this is such a crazy concept?

I understand you lashing to ppl talking about K lashing out.

Stop trolling. It isn't lashing out. It's pointing out that the people who seem most into this, who are throwing the most stones, are UK and UNC guys, and some of them are less reasonable ones at that. Come on... he "conveniently" what... had a guy die? Mentioned it? It's just excuses?

It's pretty obvious what is happening in the thread.

Oh, it may have, but I think his over the top reaction probably happened in part because he was an emotional mess. I mean... I've been watching Duke for, like, nearly 30 years, and I don't know if I ever remember him doing that at Cameron. Makes sense to me that something contributed to that. I don't think this is such a crazy concept?
I'm sure he's grateful for your excuses. You've really put yourself out there on his behalf.

I think it is just an excuse. There are no need for excuses. Just own it. He isn't a child. For some there is always an excuse for his poor behavior though.
This is hysterical coming from a UNc fan. I cant count the number of excuses you folks came up with during the AFAM scandal. And you still use them to this day.

This is hysterical coming from a UNc fan. I cant count the number of excuses you folks came up with during the AFAM scandal. And you still use them to this day.

You’re right. Counting isn’t what you do best but you do contradict yourself often but we all know you’re not playing with a full deck.

ADVERTISEMENT