ADVERTISEMENT

CBB Arena's

Just using this as a shameless plug to point out UK is the most valuable basketball program in the country for the second year in a row.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-much-is-your-college-basketball-team-worth-1522670400

Yeah, already called the methodology into question on that one... Kentucky’s value went up like 46 percent from 2015 to 2016, and nobody could figure out what happened to make that happen... no new arena, no new facility. Same with Arizona, except they went down that amount. I have a hard time imaginging that the value of those programs really changed THAT significantly with no major infrastructural changes of note. I’d be curious to see... what the math behind such concepts as “risk” for a college basketball team, what equivalents did he use when trying to find similar franchises that had been sold, how did he analyze the “school reputational quality” and then how did that fit into the equation?

But it’s certainly a “stat” that is clickable!

I stopped reading after that.

You can toss personal insults at me as well, if you feel the need. I don't mind. Just as I'm sure Bert couldn't care less.

Uhhh... why should I hurl fishing insults at you? Because out of nowhere you went after me several times, and then wrote some multi-paragraph self-congratulatory screed? I don’t remember anything like that.

Uhhh... why should I hurl fishing insults at you? Because out of nowhere you went after me several times, and then wrote some multi-paragraph self-congratulatory screed? I don’t remember anything like that.
So you were a victim and went on the attack?

So you were a victim and went on the attack?

Wow... you DIDNT read that whole thread, did you? I admit, I did call Bert “goofy” after the first few times he went after me after I hadn’t even reacted to him... but that was about it, and even THAT grave insult resulted in an eight or nine paragraph response about how I don’t hold doors or pay taxes or something.

Reactions: KisteK
Wow... you DIDNT read that whole thread, did you? I admit, I did call Bert “goofy” after the first few times he went after me after I hadn’t even reacted to him... but that was about it, and even THAT grave insult resulted in an eight or nine paragraph response about how I don’t hold doors or pay taxes or something.
Off topic, but does ellipsis and random capitalized words help paint your picture?

Honestly just curious.

Also, I did read the thread. Unfortunately. I also understand Bert gets to some people more than others.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Off topic, but does ellipses and random capitalized words help paint your picture?

Honestly just curious.

Also, I did read the thread. Unfortunately.

Okay, maybe I’m just tired, but I can’t tell if you are serious right now... you don’t know what the function of ellipses and capitalized words in writing are?

And I agree; that is a rather unfortunate thread;). ****ing offseason.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Okay, maybe I’m just tired, but I can’t tell if you are serious right now... you don’t know what the function of ellipses and capitalized words in writing are?

And I agree; that is a rather unfortunate thread;). ****ing offseason.
Just busting balls on someone getting worked up. It's like poking an already angry bear.

Name calling on here is pretty funny to me. "Well,well, you're a pussy", gets me everytime.

Reactions: TheDude1
Just busting balls on someone getting worked up. It's like poking an already angry bear.

Heh... I was fishing SO hard with those two posts in this thread... thought maybe the hiding behind mommy’s skirt would get him... I figured that after that “I’m so dumb” freak out he was ripe for the taking... but Bert was too strong willed and just wouldn’t even give me the time of day. Maybe I went too over the top and into obvious satirical-land? That old man is sly like a Mexican-hating fox.

Heh... I was fishing SO hard with those two posts in this thread.

giphy.gif

Come on... With lines like “taking your ball home and hiding behind your mommy’s skirts”...? Nobody in real life says that, and nobody gets *that* emotional about how much college basketball teams make:) Was PMing @JimboBBN about it; to Jimbos credit, he didn’t think Bert would take the bait, and would respond with some dismissive one liner.

Btw... wood. Holy SHIT wood.

I stopped reading after that.

You can toss personal insults at me as well, if you feel the need. I don't mind. Just as I'm sure Bert couldn't care less.
I actually read few of his posts as he is totally off the rail.

Lurkeraspect I appreciate your defense.

I find it incredible that folks believe some of the crap they write in suggesting that Duke could sell out a large facility.

Duke is the only school in the nation with a large following and a small gym.
I ask: Why?
Answer: they like a little gym.
My response: SURE!

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I actually read few of his posts as he is totally off the rail.

Lurkeraspect I appreciate your defense.

I find it incredible that folks believe some of the crap they write in suggesting that Duke could sell out a large facility.

Duke is the only school in the nation with a large following and a small gym.
I ask: Why?
Answer: they like a little gym.
My response: SURE!

No dumbass. Its part of their BRAND. What part of branding do you not understand? Cameron Indoor Stadium with the Cameron Crazies courtside jumping up and down is a massive part of the Duke brand. That atmosphere is something that every school/student body tries to mimick (with the jumping up and down, chants, etc). So why would they destroy all of that just so add another 5k seats or so when they can just keep their brand and just jack up the prices for the seats they do have?

Its the same reason the Red Sox and Cubs play in Fenway Park and Wrigley Field. You must also think that those two teams dont have the fanbase to sell out a bigger venue I guess?

Reactions: Dattier
No dumbass. Its part of their BRAND. What part of branding do you not understand? Cameron Indoor Stadium with the Cameron Crazies courtside jumping up and down is a massive part of the Duke brand. That atmosphere is something that every school/student body tries to mimick (with the jumping up and down, chants, etc). So why would they destroy all of that just so add another 5k seats or so when they can just keep their brand and just jack up the prices for the seats they do have?

Its the same reason the Red Sox and Cubs play in Fenway Park and Wrigley Field. You must also think that those two teams dont have the fanbase to sell out a bigger venue I guess?

Are you suggesting the Cameron Crazies were the first fans to jump up and down and chant?

At the least you know my name.

Reactions: theetommyt
Are you suggesting the Cameron Crazies were the first fans to jump up and down and chant?

Actually, that might have started as a Duke thing, yes.... something about making the bleachers in Cameron move. I know it pains some people to admit this, but a lot of what many student sections do nowadays started at Duke.

Actually, that might have started as a Duke thing, yes.... something about making the bleachers in Cameron move. I know it pains some people to admit this, but a lot of what many student sections do nowadays started at Duke.
Respectfully disagree. Fans/students have been jumping up and down, chanting, cheer sheets, etc., long before Duke fans were on tv.

Fans cheering are as old as sports themselves. I guess the Crazies invented heckling players as well?

I dont know for certain admittedly, but I feel like Duke started the jumping up and down, or atleast made it famous.
It's weird, I think of UNC fans jumping up and down more than Duke.Granted, fans have been jumping forever, but if I had to associate it with one fanbase, it'd be UNC.

It's weird, I think of UNC fans jumping up and down more than Duke.Granted, fans have been jumping forever, but if I had to associate it with one fanbase, it'd be UNC.

UNC students are behind the basket so you would have never really noticed it on TV

I understand you have a perception and everything, but in terms of history, I'm pretty sure just about all of this started with Duke. I'll find you some links.

I understand you have a perception and everything, but in terms of history, I'm pretty sure just about all of this started with Duke. I'll find you some links.
...of fans cheering and jumping while cheering. That shouldn't be hard.

What are your google search terms? "Duke fans were first to cheer", "Duke fans were first to chant", "who were the first fans to attend a basketball game of interest", "fan support"?

ADVERTISEMENT