ADVERTISEMENT

CBB Arena's

b4bama

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2001
With the way the NCAA tournament committee looks at teams resume, winning games at home are now becoming incredibly important especially towards the end of the season. One thing Ive noticed is that teams who have their student sections at mid court (Virginia, Duke, Florida, Michigan State, etc.) usually finish the year strong with wins at home. I understand these teams are all loaded with talent, but I feel like having the students in the middle give teams a bigger advantage than teams who have them behind the goal. Why don't more programs do this?

With the way the NCAA tournament committee looks at teams resume, winning games at home are now becoming incredibly important especially towards the end of the season. One thing Ive noticed is that teams who have their student sections at mid court (Virginia, Duke, Florida, Michigan State, etc.) usually finish the year strong with wins at home. I understand these teams are all loaded with talent, but I feel like having the students in the middle give teams a bigger advantage than teams who have them behind the goal. Why don't more programs do this?
Because people with actually money spread their wallet legs to sit in those seats.

What if you have them behind a goal and in the middle???

FatherlyVerifiableCopperhead-max-1mb.gif

Kentucky can't afford to move the few thousand students to midcourt as they are selling those seats for thousand of dollars a year. In fact my daughter started UK in 1989 and she had to pay to attend basketball games. She still got shitty seats.

Duke, Virginia and Florida can't sell ticket so they put the students where they can do the most damage.

Kentucky can't afford to move the few thousand students to midcourt as they are selling those seats for thousand of dollars a year. In fact my daughter started UK in 1989 and she had to pay to attend basketball games. She still got shitty seats.

Duke, Virginia and Florida can't sell ticket so they put the students where they can do the most damage.
This^^^. How does duke get away with it being as they limited seating as well-----Im sure the students that attend are far fewer in number, but still, thats a lot of revenue lost.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha

Yep! Duke has a hard time selling tickets. Very hard!

Yep! Duke has a hard time selling tickets. Very hard!
47. Duke . . . . . . . . 149,024 . . . . . . . 9,314

1. Kentucky . . . . . . . 398,850. . . . . . . . 23,461

There is no comparison.

We all know why Cameron is a small gym, because Duke would not sell out a large facility. Plus the 23,000 at UK all pay, including the students and their numbers are limited because of high ticket demand.

We have this discussion all the time and Duke will always lose out to Kentucky because they simply don't have the following.

Like Jordan-Hare, Auburn Arena is becoming an increasingly difficult place for opponents to play.

The way our student section is set up makes for a pretty intense and loud atmosphere.

There is no comparison.

We all know why Cameron is a small gym, because Duke would not sell out a large facility. Plus the 23,000 at UK all pay, including the students and their numbers are limited because of high ticket demand.

We have this discussion all the time and Duke will always lose out to Kentucky because they simply don't have the following.

Almost 400,000 people and yet they sound like the dead

There is no comparison.

Disagree. Its a small arena because of

1. Its old.
2. Because it is old and very important to the Duke basketball brand there has not been any demand to build a new arena

I agree Duke would have trouble selling out an arena of Rupp's size consistently, especially against the lesser teams on the schedule, but to act like Cameron Indoor's size appropriately reflects the demand for Duke bball tickets is laughable.

Reactions: Quavarius

1. Its old.
2. Because it is old and very important to the Duke basketball brand there has not been any demand to build a new arena

I agree Duke would have trouble selling out an arena of Rupp's size consistently, especially against the lesser teams on the schedule, but to act like Cameron Indoor's size appropriately reflects the demand for Duke bball tickets is laughable.
What a horrible posit based on little to no facts.

In 1950 Kentucky moved into UK’s Memorial Coliseum. It would seat 12,000. It was the largest facility in the South at that time. UK played there until 1976 when Rupp Arena became the home court for the Cats. Many folks hated to see Kentucky leaving the friendly confines of Memorial coliseum as it was very loud and a very tough place for the visitor to win. However, UK could not afford to not to move to Rupp as it nearly doubled the attendance and more than doubled the revenue.

Duke stays in Cameron for totally different reasons: they can’t sell out a large facility. It has nothing to do with its size not reflecting the demand. It does reflect the ticket demand. You can laugh your ass off and it will not change the facts.

Closer to Duke is the Dean Dome. It was built because North Carolina’s ticket demands are much greater than Duke, so they built it. North Carolina States plays in a facility that seats over 18,000. You can’t sell your argument that Duke can fill a large arena.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
What a horrible posit based on little to no facts.

In 1950 Kentucky moved into UK’s Memorial Coliseum. It would seat 12,000. It was the largest facility in the South at that time. UK played there until 1976 when Rupp Arena became the home court for the Cats. Many folks hated to see Kentucky leaving the friendly confines of Memorial coliseum as it was very loud and a very tough place for the visitor to win. However, UK could not afford to not to move to Rupp as it nearly doubled the attendance and more than doubled the revenue.

Duke stays in Cameron for totally different reasons: they can’t sell out a large facility. It has nothing to do with its size not reflecting the demand. It does reflect the ticket demand. You can laugh your ass off and it will not change the facts.

Closer to Duke is the Dean Dome. It was built because North Carolina’s ticket demands are much greater than Duke, so they built it. North Carolina States plays in a facility that seats over 18,000. You can’t sell your argument that Duke can fill a large arena.

Lol so much wrong. It’s simple, they sell out every game and their tickets are expensive, therefore if they had more seats there would be excess demand. Because they didn’t copy Kentucky in the 70s and increase their Arena size does not mean that they keep Cameron Indoor because they can’t sell out a bigger building. I’m not a Duke supporter in anyway but if you think that 9k seats is an appropriate arena size for Duke then you just don’t do the whole math thing that well.

Lol so much wrong. It’s simple, they sell out every game and their tickets are expensive, therefore if they had more seats there would be excess demand. Because they didn’t copy Kentucky in the 70s and increase their Arena size does not mean that they keep Cameron Indoor because they can’t sell out a bigger building. I’m not a Duke supporter in anyway but if you think that 9k seats is an appropriate arena size for Duke then you just don’t do the whole math thing that well.
Nothing is wrong with my statements.

It is a free country and you are allowed to continue to believe the unbelievable. It is okay with me.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84

It is a free country and you are allowed to continue to believe the unbelievable. It is okay with me.
At what point for a stadium size increase would you consider it not worth it for the program to go through with? You mention Kentucky doubled their stadium size when they built Rupp but neither CI or AFH could probably do the same and sell out like they currently do. However, they both could probably increase their stadium size between 10-20% and still sell out all of if not most of their games. Do you think it would be worth it for either of them to do that?

Kentucky, Duke, and Kansas have the three best arenas IMO. They all have something unique about them and have quite a bit of history.

At what point for a stadium size increase would you consider it not worth it for the program to go through with? You mention Kentucky doubled their stadium size when they built Rupp but neither CI or AFH could probably do the same and sell out like they currently do. However, they both could probably increase their stadium size between 10-20% and still sell out all of if not most of their games. Do you think it would be worth it for either of them to do that?

Some of the seats in Rupp are not good in my view. Plus, last year UK sold fewer tickets than normal; however, UK does try to do the actual count. I think that UNC, Tennessee and UK are about as big as practical. The nicest facility for basketball that I have ever seen a game in is Louisville’s Yum center.

I don't think an arena above 25,000 for basketball would work well as you get so darned far from the floor.

Bert with more bullshit. There, Bert... at least in THIS thread I called what you said bullshit. I notice you pussied out on the other one, where I called you "goofy" and you melted like a popsicle on a July afternoon in Mississippi, and then took your ball and ran home to hide behind mommy's skirts when you got called on it. Whoops.

Duke is not replacing Cameron because it is an iconic building and there would be a REVOLT among donors if they did. An absolute REVOLT. A bunch of us donors would lose our minds. The money from ticket sales wouldn't make up for getting rid of what is one of the most beautiful and iconic venues in college sports, period... a venue that isn't driven by the almighty dollar to have seats a mile from the floor and flashy neon signs and loud annoying music and a sushi bar... but instead driven by the purity of watching a great ball game in a great building.

Here, Bert... since you don't know shit, lemme give you a link from a few weeks ago, from Business Insider, about which college basketball programs made the most money in 2018:

http://www.businessinsider.com/louisville-was-college-basketballs-biggest-money-maker-in-2016-2018-2

There's Kansas at #11, with their nice big arena!

There's UNC at #8, with their nice big arena!

There's Kentucky at #4, with their nice big arena!

And... whoops. There's Duke at #2, making about 20 percent more than Kentucky, 60 percent more than UNC, and nearly double what Kansas made.

But we *couldn't* build a bigger building? The Duke student section is where it is because we couldn't sell those seats? Give me a break. We aren't some state school. We are THE national brand in college basketball. We are Duke, a school with so many resources and so much money coming in from so many industries and avenues that we don't need to be too concerned with some ticket sales. We make enough money that we can actually make decisions that aren't based on grabbing at a few bucks from ticket sales, but instead based on preserving tradition. Ask UNC fans if they miss Carmichael... ask UK fans if they miss Memorial... ask them all if they wish they could snag a few seats from the greyhairs and money folks who sit on their hands, and give those seats to the real fans. Every single one who is honest will admit they do, and wish they would. Sure, there's a lifetime wait to get a season ticket at Cameron... sure, you have to donate five and six figures just to get ON that list... but it's worth it.

You constantly talk about things you don't know about like you actually know something. Your hubris, mixed with your lack of self awareness, is pretty amazing.

There is no comparison.

Duke also has about 30% of the undergraduate population UK has. Cameron is approximately 50% bigger than the Duke undergrad pop. One could make the case that UK just doesn't compare to Duke's higher seat-to-student ratio, but that would be petty and insecure.

Wouldn't higher demand for tickets create a market where baseline seats would go for enough to off-set having students in the more desirable seats?

Duke also has about 30% of the undergraduate population UK has. Cameron is approximately 50% bigger than the Duke undergrad pop. One could make the case that UK just doesn't compare to Duke's higher seat-to-student ratio, but that would be petty and insecure.

Wouldn't higher demand for tickets create a market where baseline seats would go for enough to off-set having students in the more desirable seats?

Duke tickets are higher than Kentucky.

Duke | Cameron Indoor | Capacity 9,314 | Avg. Price: $409

Kentucky | Rupp Arena | Capacity 23,500 | Avg. Price: $322

Kansas | Allen Field House | Capacity 16,300 | Avg. Price: $298

Louisville | KFC Yum Center | Capacity 22,090 | Avg. Price: $87

Here is my source:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jessel...unc-game-has-1700-average-price/#30a1dd5d5fd7

Here is the math per game:

Duke 9314 $409 $3,809,426

UK 23500 $322 $7,567,000

KU 16300 $298 $4,857,400

UL 22090 $87 $1,921,830

Now we know that Duke passes up over $3,000,000 a game because they like a small gym.

You have not noticed that I basically don't respond to you. Over a year and you can't figure it out.

Wow.

So, enough of a pussy that you’ll throw stones, but then run away when anything comes back. Gotcha. A man’s man. I guess all that “TheDude just regurgitates”. and all of that was responding to... I don’t know, someone else.

I think you just know when you are outclassed. That’s the only reason I can think of that a man would throw stones and then run away.

Duke tickets are higher than Kentucky.

Duke | Cameron Indoor | Capacity 9,314 | Avg. Price: $409

Kentucky | Rupp Arena | Capacity 23,500 | Avg. Price: $322

Kansas | Allen Field House | Capacity 16,300 | Avg. Price: $298

Louisville | KFC Yum Center | Capacity 22,090 | Avg. Price: $87

Here is my source:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jessel...unc-game-has-1700-average-price/#30a1dd5d5fd7

Here is the math per game:

Duke 9314 $409 $3,809,426

UK 23500 $322 $7,567,000

KU 16300 $298 $4,857,400

UL 22090 $87 $1,921,830

Now we know that Duke passes up over $3,000,000 a game because they like a small gym.

Ahhh, those difficult economic concepts like “supply and demand”! That’s okay, you’ve already said you are dumb over and over.

Wait... are you responding, or not? Make up your mind. Or do you just throw out insults, but know you can’t actual debate substance?

Btw, I added more insults insinuating you aren’t much of a man a few posts ago. Come on, look at that big juicy worm...

1. Its old.

The voice of reason.

And is it really that hard for Kentucky fans to admit that their mall doesn't blow every other arena out of the water? I've never heard anyone but UK fans say that. Yet Cameron and Allen Fieldhouse get praise from everywhere (Allen is better of course).

Let me guess: Duke can't sell out a big arena... but the reason they play so many road games at neutral sites instead of on campuses is all b/c K is scared, not b/c they need a bigger locale.

Yes it is a free country so you can continue to be a clueless rube and I can’t stop you.

Here, Bert... since you don't know shit, lemme give you a link from a few weeks ago, from Business Insider, about which college basketball programs made the most money in 2018:

http://www.businessinsider.com/louisville-was-college-basketballs-biggest-money-maker-in-2016-2018-2

There's Kansas at #11, with their nice big arena!

There's UNC at #8, with their nice big arena!

There's Kentucky at #4, with their nice big arena!

And... whoops. There's Duke at #2, making about 20 percent more than Kentucky, 60 percent more than UNC, and nearly double what Kansas made.

Just using this as a shameless plug to point out UK is the most valuable basketball program in the country for the second year in a row.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-much-is-your-college-basketball-team-worth-1522670400

That’s a very odd way to misquote. It’s like quoting someone as saying “I would bang that Wood You Wednesday III girl” but leaving off the “if she was the last person on earth.”
I stopped reading after that.

You can toss personal insults at me as well, if you feel the need. I don't mind. Just as I'm sure Bert couldn't care less.

ADVERTISEMENT