ADVERTISEMENT

Calipari and Painter Resumes

Similar, equivalent or night and-day difference?
Very different levels of recruiting so hard to compare. UK sells itself. Purdue never has.

When you add that context, Cal may actually underperform more than Painter.

Reactions: KisteK
Very different levels of recruiting so hard to compare. UK sells itself. Purdue never has.

When you add that context, Cal may actually underperform more than Painter.
Totally different levels of underperformance lol We've also had some teams under Cal really coming on in March. Cal has performed more than underperformed. The big is overrated and I think that type of competition and team composition really hurts that conference in March. Performance has been pretty good until Covid hit.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Totally different levels of underperformance lol We've also had some teams under Cal really coming on in March. Cal has performed more than underperformed. The big is overrated and I think that type of competition and team composition really hurts that conference in March. Performance has been pretty good until Covid hit.
Looking at the NCAA record book and it looks like Cal didn't reach a Final Four until his 19th season? Is that correct? TIC

The B1G definitely has a talent disparity issue. We've been getting raped in recruiting rankings for years and it's not stopping anytime soon. Add the thuggish basketball that's allowed by refs and it's hard to flip it when we finally get into a game where freedom of movement is allowed.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha

SEC hasn’t had a team in the championship game since 2014 and hasn’t won a title since 2012. Both of those were UK. Take out UK and you have to go all the way back to 2007. You could argue that SEC is overrated too in that regard.

Just like we don’t expect Pitino to kill it at Iona, you can’t have the same expectations for Purdue and Kentucky. One basically has his pick of the litter and the other isn’t even close.

Reactions: KisteK
I’d take Painter over Cal right now. Cal just lost to a 15 seed last season. I’m sure if given the chance he could lose to a 16 seed too. But i doubt we’ll get another chance to see because he’s not going to do well enough to get a 1 seed again.

That said Painter would be wayyyyyy down on the list and i said that long before yesterday. There were a few UK fans that brought his name up on HoB months back when they were first ranked #1 and Painter hasn’t done anything super impressive. I figured he’d be the next to break through to the final four maybe. But at the end of the day he’s just not a good enough recruiter to win a title imo.

I believe Painter would do much better than Calipari if he had the talent Calipari does, but recruiting is a part of coaching. Calipari would be a great assistant (just a recruiter) for a better bench coach (which is 95% of all coaches)

Just a damn shame that Kentucky was the only team that had to deal with Covid that year. Super unlucky.
It only affected Kentucky the weekend they were to play a much better Texas team. Teams quarantined for 7-10 days yet Kentucky did for just that weekend, they were better by the Tuesday game against Vanderbilt. 😂😂😂😂

Looking at the NCAA record book and it looks like Cal didn't reach a Final Four until his 19th season? Is that correct? TIC

The B1G definitely has a talent disparity issue. We've been getting raped in recruiting rankings for years and it's not stopping anytime soon. Add the thuggish basketball that's allowed by refs and it's hard to flip it when we finally get into a game where freedom of movement is allowed.
The only reason that Purdue can't recruit well is that I wanted a scholy from Purdue. They told me I had to make 96 percentile on my SAT because I was out of state. I could get to 95 but not to 96.

They turned me down and now I recruit against my desired school.

Had they not turned down Bert they would have had five or six NCAA titles by now! :rolleyes:

The only reason that Purdue can't recruit well is that I wanted a scholy from Purdue. They told me I had to make 96 percentile on my SAT because I was out of state. I could get to 95 but not to 96.

They turned me down and now I recruit against my desired school.

Had they not turned down Bert they would have had five or six NCAA titles by now! :rolleyes:
Damnit Bert, that's a long time to hold a grudge.

If Pitino had Calipari’s rosters, he would be the John Wooden of this century.
images

Wait, let me count the wins or different teams he's taken to the FF.
Oh there are the 3 different 38-win (one with a title) teams. I guess those were just assistants.
I just wanted a yes or no, so you think he’s a great strategist?

His final four teams with Memphis and UMass, he had the best player in college basketball both times. He had the best last season and lost to St Peters. He won it all in 2012 because even he couldn’t have screwed up that team the way he did in 2015, because AD would’ve won the championship no matter what school he was choosing from.

His final four teams with Memphis and UMass, he had the best player in college basketball both times. He had the best last season and lost to St Peters. He won it all in 2012 because even he couldn’t have screwed up that team the way he did in 2015, because AD would’ve won the championship no matter what school he was choosing from.
That's just lazy thinking. How many "one in a generation" players didn't win the title?

When you can own a borderline blue blood like UL.. consistently, I think the answer is clear.
Deflecting like your buddy Kevin now. I bet you are in a very minority of Kentucky fans that think Calipari doesn’t need incredible talent to win. That’s your opinion and we’ll never know because he has five stars backing up five stars.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT