ADVERTISEMENT

Calipari and Painter Resumes

😂

Wooden himself couldn’t do that in this era. Probably not even close.
Pre portal he could have imo. How many times has Kentucky been the inferior talented team in Calipari’s tenure? UCLA had that advantage and won with it, maybe you’re thinking that the first round games now would’ve hurt UCLA?

Pre portal he could have imo. How many times has Kentucky been the inferior talented team in Calipari’s tenure? UCLA had that advantage and won with it, maybe you’re thinking that the first round games now would’ve hurt UCLA?
I get hard just thinking about all that talent staying four years.
Some might say "well he wouldn't have got that talent if they stayed", but look at Wooden.

Why, again, are we comparing these two?

Cal coaches at one of the basketball university meccas.
Painter coaches at Purdue.

One has a title.
Painter coaches at Purdue.

One consistently lands NBA talent.
Painter still coaches at Purdue.

I do believe Painter would kill it at a basketball university mecca, tho.

There’s no comparing then to now. Imagine having guys like Walton and Kareem as seniors. Try to imagine players like Durant, Zion, Davis and Embiid as seniors.

SEC hasn’t had a team in the championship game since 2014 and hasn’t won a title since 2012. Both of those were UK. Take out UK and you have to go all the way back to 2007. You could argue that SEC is overrated too in that regard.
Big hasn't won a title since 2000. Sec was lucky to get 5 teams in the tourney, until lately. The big usually has the most picks in the dance. Its a very short argument if you're trying to compare conferences being overrated.

Big hasn't won a title since 2000. Sec was lucky to get 5 teams in the tourney, until lately. The big usually has the most picks in the dance. Its a very short argument if you're trying to compare conferences being overrated.

Both are overrated

If Pitino had Calipari’s rosters, he would be the John Wooden of this century.

I don’t know about that. I don’t know that Pitino could do it with freshman.

And i fully believe Rick is an infinitely better bench coach than Cal but there haven’t been a ton of freshman he’d play a bunch of minutes.

Even at UK when he was getting crazy talent. The only 2 freshman he ever had that played 20+ minutes a game were Jamal Masburn 24 a game and Roderick Rhodes 20 a game.

Even Ron Mercer, who was the top recruit in the country, only got 18 a game as a freshman.

Reactions: CUJO_1970
Very different levels of recruiting so hard to compare. UK sells itself. Purdue never has.

When you add that context, Cal may actually underperform more than Painter.
Sure, but Calipari has gotten great players everywhere. The caliber has improved at Kentucky, but he’d be pulling 5* players to Purdue.

If Pitino had Calipari’s rosters, he would be the John Wooden of this century.

If Pitino had Cal's roster, they would sit the bench and transfer mid-season instead of going in the nba lottery at the end of the season. Neither Pitino nor Painter could coach 1 and done guys like Cal can. He's the best at it. Problem is, he stopped getting 2-3 super studs.

A lot of the low IQ folks who say "look at the talent, look at Saban" cannot process he has them for 8 months then reloads.

Cal had to cheat at Memphis, he doesn’t at Kentucky. Just ask the Kentucky fans lol.
Your bitterness is sweet.

pulp-fiction-samuel-l-jackson.gif

• Haha
Reactions: treyforuk
Cal had to cheat at Memphis, he doesn’t at Kentucky. Just ask the Kentucky fans lol.
I actually believe that. He definitely cheated at UMass and Memphis and has the vacated Final Fours to prove it.

Given what else we know, I’m guessing boosters paid players for UK but it wouldn’t surprise me if Cal had no knowledge of it.

I actually believe that. He definitely cheated at UMass and Memphis and has the vacated Final Fours to prove it.

Given what else we know, I’m guessing boosters paid players for UK but it wouldn’t surprise me if Cal had no knowledge of it.
You all realize NCAA never named him in anything. He's a clean as a whistle.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Eh one guy has good recruiting classes and loses to shitty teams in the tournament every year

The other gets top classes all the time, “greatest recruiting classes ever”, etc and loses to mediocre/good teams.

They both do less with more, only cal is far worse about it. Cal at least had a title at Kentucky but the fact he only has one title with the players he gets is absolutely laughable

His final four teams with Memphis and UMass, he had the best player in college basketball both times. He had the best last season and lost to St Peters. He won it all in 2012 because even he couldn’t have screwed up that team the way he did in 2015, because AD would’ve won the championship no matter what school he was choosing from.

Denny Crum only won because of Darryl Griffith and Pervis Ellison.

Got it.

That's just lazy thinking. How many "one in a generation" players didn't win the title?

Wilt Chamberlain
Michael Jordan
Pete Maravich
Shaquille O'neal
Charles Barkely
Ralph Sampson
David Robinson
Bernard King
Zion Williamson
Glen Robinson
Wayman Tisdale
Tim Duncan (etc)

and

Chris Gettlefinger

Oh wait, never mind Chris Gettlefinger was indeed a National Champion.

Wilt Chamberlain
Michael Jordan
Pete Maravich
Shaquille O'neal
Charles Barkely
Ralph Sampson
David Robinson
Bernard King
Zion Williamson
Glen Robinson
Wayman Tisdale
Tim Duncan (etc)

and

Chris Gettlefinger

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
Go figure lol Sec top seeds are still in it. Best wait until the tourney is over with without evidence on your assertion.

I'm not just talking about this season lol. I'm basing it on the fact that the SEC hasn't been in a championship game since 2014 and won it all since 2012. And that's actually just Kentucky, not the SEC more generally. This year may be the SEC's year but that doesn't negate the last decade.

If Pitino had Cal's roster, they would sit the bench and transfer mid-season instead of going in the nba lottery at the end of the season. Neither Pitino nor Painter could coach 1 and done guys like Cal can. He's the best at it. Problem is, he stopped getting 2-3 super studs.

A lot of the low IQ folks who say "look at the talent, look at Saban" cannot process he has them for 8 months then reloads.

God, we’re still pretending like Calipari has a rotation of nothing but freshmen every year? What was his last truly young team? 2018? And before that, he always had several key vets outside of maybe 2014. The last few years he’s had as much experience as you can ask for.

Even if the youth excuse were valid, it’s still a lame excuse. Instead of being hyper-focused on OADs, how ‘bout developing more 3-4 year players? “We’re too young” should never be the excuse of a guy who has his pick of the litter.

Btw, what makes you say that Cal is the best at it? The only guy who was in the same stratosphere in terms of recruiting OADs was K, and he won more and was more consistent.

God, we’re still pretending like Calipari has a rotation of nothing but freshmen every year? What was his last truly young team? 2018? And before that, he always had several key vets outside of maybe 2014. The last few years he’s had as much experience as you can ask for.

Even if the youth excuse were valid, it’s still a lame excuse. Instead of being hyper-focused on OADs, how ‘bout developing more 3-4 year players? “We’re too young” should never be the excuse of a guy who has his pick of the litter.

Btw, what makes you say that Cal is the best at it? The only guy who was in the same stratosphere in terms of recruiting OADs was K, and he won more and was more consistent.

We only returned like 5% of our minutes played in 2021. Tried to tell anyone that would listen we weren’t going to very good that year. I got blasted on HoB for suggesting we were going to be between a 4-7 seed the summer before.

We were young in 2019 as well. We started 3 freshman and a sophomore. And had 2 more freshman playing minutes off the bench.

That said i hâte the young excuse as well. He chooses to build his rosters around freshman. And again, he can’t use that excuse this season. But early in the season when we were struggling he did throw out the “well they haven’t had time together” excuse.

Someone in the local media asked him about the summer trip and he said “that was more about off the court stuff” or some bs.

Cal was a great coach at one point. From 2006-2015 he was arguably the best in the sport. But 2015 is now almost a decade ago.

He reminds me of Denny Crum and Bobby Knight in their last 10 years. His results are very similar.

I'm not just talking about this season lol. I'm basing it on the fact that the SEC hasn't been in a championship game since 2014 and won it all since 2012. And that's actually just Kentucky, not the SEC more generally. This year may be the SEC's year but that doesn't negate the last decade.
You're missing the point entirely, the sec wasn't good until recently. You were comparing it to the big10 and it doesn't fit. I'm not talking about this season either. Donovan and Florida were pretty good along with UK. But the remainder of the league sucked. Yep it was just Kentucky. Kentucky has won 8 NCAA championships since 1939. Actually the NIT was he better tournament back then. Think about it, 8 championships, 2nd all time and you're examining a handful of years. Makes no sense whatsoever. These things, and you should know as well anyone, you don't win very often.

UK fans expectations are through the roof, yes we are disappointed that we haven't made a good run since Fox and Monk. Good enough for other programs though.

Wilt Chamberlain
Michael Jordan
Pete Maravich
Shaquille O'neal
Charles Barkely
Ralph Sampson
David Robinson
Bernard King
Zion Williamson
Glen Robinson
Wayman Tisdale
Tim Duncan (etc)

and

Chris Gettlefinger

So was Mat Ishbia

Did you read the thread, numbnuts? I was addressing the low IQ folks who point at all of the talent he has vs Wooden or even Saban. Not how great he is as a tactician. Actually, I think he needs to leave and has been stale for the past 3-4 years.

K hasn't had has all FR line ups. When he's been led by those guys he's been disappointing.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
We only returned like 5% of our minutes played in 2021. Tried to tell anyone that would listen we weren’t going to very good that year. I got blasted on HoB for suggesting we were going to be between a 4-7 seed the summer before.

We were young in 2019 as well. We started 3 freshman and a sophomore. And had 2 more freshman playing minutes off the bench.

That said i hâte the young excuse as well. He chooses to build his rosters around freshman. And again, he can’t use that excuse this season. But early in the season when we were struggling he did throw out the “well they haven’t had time together” excuse.

Someone in the local media asked him about the summer trip and he said “that was more about off the court stuff” or some bs.

Cal was a great coach at one point. From 2006-2015 he was arguably the best in the sport. But 2015 is now almost a decade ago.

He reminds me of Denny Crum and Bobby Knight in their last 10 years. His results are very similar.

HoB used to be a good board. Had good discussions on there. But it turned so fast to badly where you can't even mildly criticize Cal without a few losers immediately screeching to his defense

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
ADVERTISEMENT