ADVERTISEMENT

Brad Stevens’ Situation-At Least Slightly Similar To Roy Williams In 2003?

Idk about that, seems to me that’s it’s more of a matter of preference.

College is more about personal branding, recruiting, teaching life lessons etc in addition to the on the court stuff. Successful college coaches get elevated to God status among a tight knit community and by the media. They are like celebs on their campuses.

NBA is strictly Xs and Os and more or less being the team chaperone through a grueling 82 game season. Success or failure in many situations is out of the coaches control, most NBA coaches float from team to team or dip down to the assistant ranks for a bit if needed. Coaches who hate recruiting and a 24/7 spotlight typically prefer the NBA where they are second fiddle to the league’s stars.

I understand the difference. The point it, so do the coaches. There are plenty of coaches who prefer the college game and will turn down NBA gigs (Coach K). But you almost never see a college coach go to the NBA and come back to college unless they don't have the opportunity to coach in the NBA anymore.

I understand the difference. The point it, so do the coaches. There are plenty of coaches who prefer the college game and will turn down NBA gigs (Coach K). But you almost never see a college coach go to the NBA and come back to college unless they don't have the opportunity to coach in the NBA anymore.

Fair enough but overall I think the prestige of being a great college coach is greater than being a great NBA coach. Does Phil Jackson overshadow MJ and Kobe? Popovich is maybe the only NBA coach who consistently elevates what he has to work with. All one has to do is look at the cast of nobodies LeBron has been coached by his whole career to get why most don’t care who the coach is in the NBA.

Why wouldn't IU just throw a bunch of money at Pitino? Who out there is better (that would actually come, Stevens isn't happening)?

If Pitino was in his 50s, sure, the risk/reward becomes worth it. But it’s tough to overlook his misdeeds and become a renegade program so you can chase 1-3 good years before he retires.

Reactions: cdbearde
Fair enough but overall I think the prestige of being a great college coach is greater than being a great NBA coach. Does Phil Jackson overshadow MJ and Kobe? Popovich is maybe the only NBA coach who consistently elevates what he has to work with. All one has to do is look at the cast of nobodies LeBron has been coached by his whole career to get why most don’t care who the coach is in the NBA.

There are definitely reasons why guys stay in college rather than coach in the NBA. However, most of the coaches in the NBA, made the jump because it's all about basketball at the next level. No recruiting trips, no worrying about academic requirements, etc. It's just what you prefer.

Reactions: xWVU2010x
There are definitely reasons why guys stay in college rather than coach in the NBA. However, most of the coaches in the NBA, made the jump because it's all about basketball at the next level. No recruiting trips, no worrying about academic requirements, etc. It's just what you prefer.
Also at times no personnel decisions.

Works both ways. I wouldn't want a GM picking my players

If Pitino was in his 50s, sure, the risk/reward becomes worth it. But it’s tough to overlook his misdeeds and become a renegade program so you can chase 1-3 good years before he retires.
I don't see anyone else bringing them out of this funk. Why the hell not?

Reactions: cdbearde
Think about it. Brad is in a good position as the Celtics’ head coach. In 2003, Roy was in a good position as the Kansas Jayhawks’ head man. Just now, the Indiana job opened up. In March of 2003, the UNC job opened. Although Brad didn’t go to IU, he is from Indiana, and his dad played football for the Hoosiers. He also coached for a program Roy, meanwhile, grew up in NC, was a Tar Heel, and was one of Dean’s assistants. Right now, Indiana Hoops isn’t in great shape. In 2003, UNC Hoops was having issues.
No.....Not even close. NBA vs College. Apples to oranges. Stevens is from Indiana...Thats HIS only connection. Roy played at UNC(JV)...Was an assistant there for 10 years..

Worlds different.

Short term, why not? But is the stuff with UofL done on his part, what if it comes down he gets a show cause and you hired him. I don't know where that is, and I do not care to look it up because it is not important to me, but just wondering. Otherwise, short term I would call.
:cool:

I could easily see anyone of Beard, Drew, Matta, Belien, etc, etc....righting the ship. Oats ain't coming. Maybe Mussleman.

I know this----You don't fire a coach with $10 million in his pocket, to hire a Dane Fife. I'd say whatever Dolson went to with the donors to get the buyout, AND "new money", wasn't of someone lesser than Miller.....

Cream deserved the time. He did do an above average job but at the point of his firing he was floundering a bit, stuck in the mud. Archie was a solid hire at the time but obviously didn’t work out. I still have a hard time believing anything Steven’s. Timing may be better than last but that’s going from 0-5%. He can have almost any other NBA job if he wants. I do know and feel Dolson will pursue that until it’s dead. I do feel dolson didn’t spend 10mil, won’t quite be that, to not have a solid idea of who he can get and would they be an obvious upgrade at the position.

b80fa50a4e90f386a3c10140c0fb113c.jpg

46 losses in two years indicates more than just a lack of elite talent.

If not year 2, then year 3.

Not saying he is/was a bad coach. But if it’s the top 5ish job that you guys say it is, then you should only settle for one of the best.

46 losses in two years indicates more than just a lack of elite talent.

If not year 2, then year 3.

Not saying he is/was a bad coach. But if it’s the top 5ish job that you guys say it is, then you should only settle for one of the best.

Bottom 5 job with UCLA

UCLA and Indiana can fight it out...

UCLA was willing to give John Calipari almost 10 millions a year
He said thanks but no thanks. Did get a huge raise from Kentucky.

UCLA may not be as bad as Indiana even.

You take that job you will be fired...

That is pretty much the word around town.

Bottom 5 job with UCLA

You seem cool and I enjoy your posts but don't end them with "the word around town" please.

• Haha
Reactions: duckboy33
I could easily see anyone of Beard, Drew, Matta, Belien, etc, etc....righting the ship. Oats ain't coming. Maybe Mussleman.

I know this----You don't fire a coach with $10 million in his pocket, to hire a Dane Fife. I'd say whatever Dolson went to with the donors to get the buyout, AND "new money", wasn't of someone lesser than Miller.....
I know YOU can see that but you probably saw Crean and Miller righting the ship as well.

Anyway, the fact that IU board earnestly thinks they have a chance at Brad Stevens, and so many IU fans are hyped for this nonsense, shows that they have never learned to be realistic and patient. I wont be surprised if the next 2-3 coaches at IU all turn into disappointments like what happened to Tom Crean and Archie Miller. IU board and fans have such ridiculous level of expectation which is just recipe for failure and the vicious cycle may continue a lot longer.

Reactions: tw3301
Honestly, IU can still attract good coaches. Sampson, Crean and Miller were all considered good hires at the time. They just need to get it right. I know I'm in the minority but Crean did a better job than he's given credit for. He was a lot better than Miller.
Yep. Sampson and Crean had both coached in the Final Four. Other than North Carolina and Kentucky, who has gotten more proven coaches than Indiana in the last 20 years?

Reactions: duckboy33
Pitino saw the writing on the wall in Boston. He wasnt gonna be successful.

I doubt pitino would have been in the nba very long had he tried to stay in Boston. No can’t remember if he was fired or resigned, knowing his ego he resigned esp knowing he gave up his 40 mil lawsuit against Louisville just so we’d change the language to he resigned Or was suspended indefinitely as opposed to being fired although we all know he was fired.
Yeah Pitino would have been fired soon had he stayed. He just wasn't getting it done. 12-22 when he quit after 3 straight losing seasons.

It’s amusing to see so many delusional IU fans still thinking they are a top 5 job in the college basketball and that Brad Stevens is coming. Btw Chris Beard ain’t coming either, their best shot is Scott Drew or a mid major coach.

It’s amusing to see so many delusional IU fans still thinking they are a top 5 job in the college basketball and that Brad Stevens is coming. Btw Chris Beard ain’t coming either, their best shot is Scott Drew or a mid major coach.

says the random internet poster

says the random internet poster

Still delusional, its your choice though just dont be overly frustrated and cursing him when the inevitable happens and Brad Stevens aint coming to IU. Tbh what makes IU fans think that their jobs are still comparable to the blue bloods like Kansas, Kentucky and UNC? 30 years of irrelevance?

It should be noted that no one at IU who is involved in the hiring process has mentioned any names, so any pro media or social media discussion of [fill-in-the-blank-candidate] is pure speculation at this point. No one who knows has said publicly who been contacted or how far discussions have gone.

Last edited:
Still delusional, its your choice though just dont be overly frustrated and cursing him when the inevitable happens and Brad Stevens aint coming to IU. Tbh what makes IU fans think that their jobs are still comparable to the blue bloods like Kansas, Kentucky and UNC? 30 years of irrelevance?

Who said it is?

Bottom 5 job with UCLA

Cal didn't take the UCLA job because they play second fiddle to the Lakers in LA (most big cities are pro sports towns now). Calipari could be a big fish in a small pond in Lexington, plus take over a legendary program and resurrect a huge fanbase. I know IU doesn't get the respect anymore, and perhaps rightfully so, but if a top coach were to come in and make them a perineal Final Four caliber team you'd see huge throngs of fans follow them. Not many schools have alum who are willing to shell out $10 million to buy out what they believed to be a mediocre coach. IU has tried to go on the cheap since Knight left, but their new AD is willing to pay big for the first time and get the right person.

What job open is better?

There aint a better job opening right now, but Brad Stevens aint interested in returning to college basketball anyway. A few years later when this may happen, there will surely be better job openings available for him, maybe even blue bloods like Duke and Kentucky. If anything, Stevens will seriously consider the Duke job when Coach K retires. No way hes considering IU, its time to wake up kid.

Only an hour before tipoff of the NCAA tournament and the top two threads on this board are all about IU's coaching search. Including a few morons pretending like they have any idea what the hell they're talking about.

Feels good to be this relevant even while going through this dark time in the program's history.

ADVERTISEMENT