ADVERTISEMENT

Brad Stevens’ Situation-At Least Slightly Similar To Roy Williams In 2003?

gymman1031

Gold Member
Jan 24, 2008
Think about it. Brad is in a good position as the Celtics’ head coach. In 2003, Roy was in a good position as the Kansas Jayhawks’ head man. Just now, the Indiana job opened up. In March of 2003, the UNC job opened. Although Brad didn’t go to IU, he is from Indiana, and his dad played football for the Hoosiers. He also coached for a program Roy, meanwhile, grew up in NC, was a Tar Heel, and was one of Dean’s assistants. Right now, Indiana Hoops isn’t in great shape. In 2003, UNC Hoops was having issues.

16578e2ab7117e38eb9100f6f2dfde29.gif

KU and UNC are at least comparable jobs. IU isn’t even close to the same as an NBA head coaching gig.

He could do much worse than IU if he wants to get back into the college game, but I would be very surprised if he went that route.

Wasn't one of the main reasons why Brad Stevens left is because he was never overly excited about recruiting? He doesn't have to deal with that in the NBA. If that was the case, it's hard for me to believe he would want to return to the college ranks anytime soon, if ever.

Reactions: duckboy33
Wasn't one of the main reasons why Brad Stevens left is because he was never overly excited about recruiting? He doesn't have to deal with that in the NBA. If that was the case, it's hard for me to believe he would want to return to the college ranks anytime soon, if ever.

Ever since the coaching money in college got comparable to NBA money, the number one reason why coaches leave college for the NBA is recruiting. Conversely, the number one reason why NBA coaches leave for a college job is that the NBA is a players’ league where coaches have a lot less influence over rosters and style of play.

IU will only have a chance to get back into the right direction once their board and fans become more practical and less delusional. As long as they are still dreaming of Brad Stevens, Billy Donovan and any other top coaches available in the country, they will just be disappointed and continue the path of failure. When was the last time IU made a final four? And when was the last time they were relevant in March at all? Yeah they hate Tom Crean and Archie Miller, but IU is only capable of attracting head coaches of their caliber nowadays, wont surprise me if the next 2-3 coaches turn out to be no better than Archie. The glory days are long gone, and their fans still act like it was yesterday.

IU will only have a chance to get back into the right direction once their board and fans become more practical and less delusional. As long as they are still dreaming of Brad Stevens, Billy Donovan and any other top coaches available in the country, they will just be disappointed and continue the path of failure. When was the last time IU made a final four? And when was the last time they were relevant in March at all? Yeah they hate Tom Crean and Archie Miller, but IU is only capable of attracting head coaches of their caliber nowadays, wont surprise me if the next 2-3 coaches turn out to be no better than Archie. The glory days are long gone, and their fans still act like it was yesterday.

giphy.gif

So it’s the schools fault? Please explain to me how that matters more than the coach running the program. The blocks are there. Money, recruiting footprint, fan support, facilities, etc. You can’t sit here and tell me with a straight face that the school is destined for <.500 conference records and minimal tournament appearances. This is absurd reasoning.

So it’s the schools fault? Please explain to me how that matters more than the coach running the program. The blocks are there. Money, recruiting footprint, fan support, facilities, etc. You can’t sit here and tell me with a straight face that the school is destined for <.500 conference records and minimal tournament appearances. This is absurd reasoning.

Unrealistic expectations and hypes create a toxic working environment for coaches and the players. The school and the fans are absolutely at fault for being delusional, the unnecessary pressure will only be a turn-off for better candidates. IU's job only looks nice on paper, theres too big a chance to fail given the delusional nature of the program and the fanbase, and it can potentially ruin the career of a promising coach. Some years later you will see that, what happened to Archie Miller aint a coincidence.

Honestly, IU can still attract good coaches. Sampson, Crean and Miller were all considered good hires at the time. They just need to get it right. I know I'm in the minority but Crean did a better job than he's given credit for. He was a lot better than Miller.

I know I'm in the minority but Crean did a better job than he's given credit for. He was a lot better than Miller.

I agree with you on this one. Tom Crean did a superb job at IU actually, and apparently the school and fans expected much more. With their delusional nature the only suitable coaches are obviously Brad Stevens and Billy Donovan, hence why we see threads like this. Unfortunately the top coaches will never consider IU and they will have to settle for the likes of Tom Crean and Archie Miller, leading to more disappointments and the cycle continues.

Last edited:
Unrealistic expectations and hypes create a toxic working environment for coaches and the players. The school and the fans are absolutely at fault for being delusional, the unnecessary pressure will only be a turn-off for better candidates. IU's job only looks nice on paper, theres too big a chance to fail given the delusional nature of the program and the fanbase, and it can potentially ruin the career of a promising coach. Some years later you will see that, what happened to Archie Miller aint a coincidence.

So you believe Indiana should be happy with no tournaments and no conference records >.500?

I agree with you on this one. Tom Crean did a superb job at IU actually, and apparently the school and fans expected much more. With their delusional nature the only suitable coaches are obviously Brad Stevens and Billy Donovan, hence why we see threads like this. Unfortunately the top coaches will never consider IU and they will have to settle for the likes of Tom Crean and Archie Miller, leading to more disappointments and the cycle continues.

Where on this doll did IU touch you?

So you believe Indiana should be happy with no tournaments and no conference records >.500?

For 1-2 seasons this is tolerable, but shouldnt be the norm. I wont comment on Archie Miller, but at least Tom Crean did a fine job at IU. The fact that IU board and fans want much more than that, is a recipe for failure and disappointment. You aint going to find a much better coach than Tom Crean, and more likely it will just turn into Archie Miller 2.0.

Where on this doll did IU touch you?

So I am a hater for simply speaking the truth? My point is simply that IU should take a realistic approach rather than counting on top coaches to save your program, and yet so many IU fans are dreaming of Brad Stevens and its just funny to me how delusional you guys can get.

For 1-2 seasons this is tolerable, but shouldnt be the norm. I wont comment on Archie Miller, but at least Tom Crean did a fine job at IU. The fact that IU board and fans want much more than that, is a recipe for failure and disappointment. You aint going to find a much better coach than Tom Crean, and more likely it will just turn into Archie Miller 2.0.

So I am a hater for simply speaking the truth? My point is simply that IU should take a realistic approach rather than counting on top coaches to save your program, and yet so many IU fans are dreaming of Brad Stevens and its just funny to me how delusional you guys can get.

To me Creans problem was the inconsistent seasons and other behind the scene problems. Players generally resented him and high school coaches in Indiana began to loath him. Most fans know Steven’s isn’t coming, it’s a pipe dream, don’t put that much stock in Twitter. I’m not even sold that Beard or Drew would leave. But I do believe there’s a coach out there that can have Indiana compete in the top half of the conference consistently and make decent tournament runs. If they get lucky a guy who can win the conference and possibly compete for a title. All I know is that guy wasn’t Archie. He’s not a bad coach but his results just weren’t there and you can’t keep a guy like that around for long. It was time to make a move.

Reactions: asindc
Crean was a top hire at the time. UK seriously considered him. He didn't do a superb job. He did an above avg job and may have warranted keeping the job. Considering how much luck goes into hiring in retrospect they should have held on to him since they didn't have a top hire waiting.

I would've fired Miller after 2 seasons. I also would have never hired Miller. I would've fired Crean after his first two years too.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Cream deserved the time. He did do an above average job but at the point of his firing he was floundering a bit, stuck in the mud. Archie was a solid hire at the time but obviously didn’t work out. I still have a hard time believing anything Steven’s. Timing may be better than last but that’s going from 0-5%. He can have almost any other NBA job if he wants. I do know and feel Dolson will pursue that until it’s dead. I do feel dolson didn’t spend 10mil, won’t quite be that, to not have a solid idea of who he can get and would they be an obvious upgrade at the position.

You keep repeating this as if it’s true. There are a small minority of IU fans who think it’s as easy as hiring Stevens as if he would just jump at the job, but for most IU fans Stevens is a long shot. The rest of us IU fans make fun of them just like you might.

Just like Alabama wanted more than a sub-.500 record in conference so they fired Avery Johnson after 4 years (after firing Anthony Grant after 6 years despite a winning conference record), or USC fired Tim Floyd after 4 years despite 3 tourney appearances (including a S16) and a conference winning record and then firing Kevin O’Neill after 4 years despite a tourney appearance and an overall winning record, IU fans want a coach who produces better results than that.

For the vast majority of us, that coach does not have to be Stevens or fill-in-the-blank ”big” name, despite the lazy party line we keep hearing from various media. Just like IU fans were generally excited about Archie Miller (or Alabama fans were excited about Grant) we will be excited about the next coach, even if his name is (most likely) not Stevens.

Reactions: IUBtown
Why wouldn’t he just take the best gig and snag Roy or K or Cal’s job in the next year or so? So many big jobs opening up soon. Indiana kind of pales in comparison to those three.

Why wouldn’t he just take the best gig and snag Roy or K or Cal’s job in the next year or so? So many big jobs opening up soon. Indiana kind of pales in comparison to those three.

Part of the hope is he and his wife are from Indiana. Other than that I’d have no idea. I still say he stays in the NBA.

Why wouldn't IU just throw a bunch of money at Pitino? Who out there is better (that would actually come, Stevens isn't happening)?

I’d love it personally but some think there’s too much baggage. But I believe he’d win early and often until he dies.

He is from Indiana. Besides, if Pitino can leave the NBA for Louisville...

• Haha
Reactions: 829305
College coaches return from the NBA when they don’t have an opportunity to be a HC in the NBA. If the Celtics were foolish enough to fire Steven’s, multiple NBA teams would want to hire him

Idk about that, seems to me that’s it’s more of a matter of preference.

College is more about personal branding, recruiting, teaching life lessons etc in addition to the on the court stuff. Successful college coaches get elevated to God status among a tight knit community and by the media. They are like celebs on their campuses.

NBA is strictly Xs and Os and more or less being the team chaperone through a grueling 82 game season. Success or failure in many situations is out of the coaches control, most NBA coaches float from team to team or dip down to the assistant ranks for a bit if needed. Coaches who hate recruiting and a 24/7 spotlight typically prefer the NBA where they are second fiddle to the league’s stars.

I am just guessing like everybody else I think Beilein is going to be the next coach @ IU. That would be a good hire.

I am just guessing like everybody else I think Beilein is going to be the next coach @ IU. That would be a good hire.

I could see that. He is 68 though and isn’t known to make an instant impact, but maybe the new transfer rules will change that. Probably the best available coach during this cycle assuming his heart is still in it.

College coaches return from the NBA when they don’t have an opportunity to be a HC in the NBA. If the Celtics were foolish enough to fire Steven’s, multiple NBA teams would want to hire him

right. There’s the diff Roy went from a college to a college. Not nba to college, which no coach does unless they fail in the nba ala pitino and cal.

Reactions: duckboy33
Why wouldn't IU just throw a bunch of money at Pitino? Who out there is better (that would actually come, Stevens isn't happening)?
My thoughts as well. Would hate it but it would be a good hire, outside of bad pub. But hell Rick ain’t been getting any bad pub this week after getting Iona in.

Reactions: cdbearde
right. There’s the diff Roy went from a college to a college. Not nba to college, which no coach does unless they fail in the nba ala pitino and cal.

Larry Brown went from the NBA to UCLA then back to the NBA then to KU. He had nothing but winning seasons at both NBA stops immediately before going/returning to college. An outlier, no doubt, but a precedent nonetheless.

Reactions: 829305
He is from Indiana. Besides, if Pitino can leave the NBA for Louisville...

Pitino saw the writing on the wall in Boston. He wasnt gonna be successful.

I doubt pitino would have been in the nba very long had he tried to stay in Boston. No can’t remember if he was fired or resigned, knowing his ego he resigned esp knowing he gave up his 40 mil lawsuit against Louisville just so we’d change the language to he resigned Or was suspended indefinitely as opposed to being fired although we all know he was fired.

Reactions: cdbearde
Larry Brown went from the NBA to UCLA then back to the NBA then to KU. He had nothing but winning seasons at both NBA stops immediately before going/returning to college. An outlier, no doubt, but a precedent nonetheless.

Ahhh didn’t realize that. I remember he coached Kansas with manning maybe? And iverson for the sixers but didn’t realize he went back to college after that or that his first gig was an nba gig.

Pitino saw the writing on the wall in Boston. He wasnt gonna be successful.

I doubt pitino would have been in the nba very long had he tried to stay in Boston. No can’t remember if he was fired or resigned, knowing his ego he resigned esp knowing he gave up his 40 mil lawsuit against Louisville just so we’d change the language to he resigned Or was suspended indefinitely as opposed to being fired although we all know he was fired.

I agree. Boston wasn’t working for him. I was speaking more to the point that a coach of his stature would not necessary wait for the best college job possible.

Reactions: Villian07
Ahhh didn’t realize that. I remember he coached Kansas with manning maybe? And iverson for the sixers but didn’t realize he went back to college after that or that his first gig was an nba gig.

Immediately before UCLA was the Denver Nuggets and immediately before KU was NJ Nets. Philly was several NBA jobs after KU.

Reactions: Villian07
I agree. Boston wasn’t working for him. I was speaking more to the point that a coach of his stature would not necessary wait for the best college job possible.

I mean Louisville isn’t a blue blood but still a top 10 job in my biased opinion. Best one available at the time, like IU this year.

rhe thing about waiting around for a certain job, despite how great of a coach you are, is that u aren’t getting that 5 mil a year waiting around for unc/duke/KU/uk to need a coach.

And obv every coach is different, billy D even turned down UK iirc when they hired bcg.

Reactions: cdbearde and asindc
ADVERTISEMENT