ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest Flaws of Championship Contenders

Just like the article says, LSU's weakness doesn't make an logical sense. They struggle to rebound on the defensive end, yet they are one of the best offensive rebounding teams in the country.

I guess you chalk that up to the fact that defensive rebounding requires more discipline cause you gotta focus on boxing out your guy. Offensive rebounding is a more athletic just go up there and get it type of play. On that note I guess it makes sense that they 5th youngest team in NCAA would struggle with the thinking side of rebounding.

I like how Duke’s flaw is also a flaw of our opponents as well. We shoot 30% from 3 and our opponents shoot 28%. I wish those in-depth analysis would mention that we’re shooting the 3 better than our opponents on the season.

Trust me. I understand your point.

Tempo ranks for the last 10 national champions.

2018 - Villanova (150)
2017 - UNC (40)
2016 - Villanova (274)
2015 - Duke (104)
2014 - UCONN (254)
2013 - Louisville* (116)
2012 - Kentucky (150)
2011 - UCONN (221)
2010 - Duke (229)
2009 - UNC (18)

2018 - Villanova (150)
2017 - UNC (40)
2016 - Villanova (274)
2015 - Duke (104)
2014 - UCONN (254)
2013 - Louisville* (116)
2012 - Kentucky (150)
2011 - UCONN (221)
2010 - Duke (229)
2009 - UNC (18)
I liked your post due to the asterisk

My biggest issue for UK is that this team doesn't shoot great and they don't shoot many threes. Hard to win games when you lose from the three point line by 24.

Kentucky:

1 Inconsistent point guard play
2 inconsistent shooting
3 Lack of a 3rd consistent scoring threat(Herro and PJ are pretty consistent, ideally Johnson steps up as the 3rd or Travis).

I’m not so worried about 2 and 3 because Pj, keldon and Hagans get to the free throw line a ton but Hagans just isn’t a championship caliber point guard. Way too loose with the ball. We’ll probably get bounced in the S16 or E8.

Reactions: bignish

2018 - Villanova (150)
2017 - UNC (40)
2016 - Villanova (274)
2015 - Duke (104)
2014 - UCONN (254)
2013 - Louisville* (116)
2012 - Kentucky (150)
2011 - UCONN (221)
2010 - Duke (229)
2009 - UNC (18)

I, too, have trouble understanding how UVA's pace is a weakness in March. It certainly hasn't stopped them from winning games in Nov-Feb.

I think maybe the simpletons confuse "style of play" with being an average to slightly below average offensive team before this year. In general, everyone's defense and intensity tends to notch up a level or two in March, so in the past maybe that has negated some of their advantage on that side of the ball, then when they have found themselves in close games or playing from behind, their offense hasn't been able to step up to the plate. Don't think that will be the case this year, as this is easily Bennett's best offensive team.

Reactions: jhmossy
Kentucky:

1 Inconsistent point guard play
2 inconsistent shooting
3 Lack of a 3rd consistent scoring threat(Herro and PJ are pretty consistent, ideally Johnson steps up as the 3rd or Travis).

I’m not so worried about 2 and 3 because Pj, keldon and Hagans get to the free throw line a ton but Hagans just isn’t a championship caliber point guard. Way too loose with the ball. We’ll probably get bounced in the S16 or E8.

Herro, PJ and KJ played well the last game. PJ more so the second half. I want our defense to step back up. We need Reid in there to take some heat off of PJ. If they can retain their focus prior to Reid's injury, we'll do fine.

Reactions: Montana81
I, too, have trouble understanding how UVA's pace is a weakness in March. It certainly hasn't stopped them from winning games in Nov-Feb.

I think maybe the simpletons confuse "style of play" with being an average to slightly below average offensive team before this year. In general, everyone's defense and intensity tends to notch up a level or two in March, so in the past maybe that has negated some of their advantage on that side of the ball, then when they have found themselves in close games or playing from behind, their offense hasn't been able to step up to the plate. Don't think that will be the case this year, as this is easily Bennett's best offensive team.

I think that is fair. We also haven’t been completely healthy except for 2016. We went to the Elite 8 that year. We definitely choked big time in that Elite 8 game though. People also don’t realize that our pace of play is what makes us efficient. If we tried to play at a faster pace, I doubt we’d be anywhere near as efficient as we are.

Texas Tech - Fouling.

Wtf? That hasn’t hurt us all year. Scoring droughts have hurt us though.

Reactions: jhmossy
Not having everyone 100% healthy and 3 point shooting.

ADVERTISEMENT