ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest college rivals?

That would be UL or soon to be KU.

So how are they going to strip a title from a team that had zero players under investigation?

And if they did, wouldn't that mean they were no longer champs "on paper?"

Don't short circuit trying to answer those questions. If you see steam coming out of your ears, just give up on it. It's no big thing.

So how are they going to strip a title from a team that had zero players under investigation?

And if they did, wouldn't that mean they were no longer champs "on paper?"

Don't short circuit trying to answer those questions. If you see steam coming out of your ears, just give up on it. It's no big thing.
I’m not even sure what I just read tbh.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
In my short stint here, UL and UK fans are more rivals than any other fans. Especially you ballknockers in North Carolina.
No, we’re just not so damn insecure in our history and what we’ve accomplished that we need a message board to confirm it. We are here along with plenty others of us laughing at your insecurities. We know what we’ve accomplished and so do you so no need to high Jack every damn thread with an insecurity that we don’t have!

Insecure and jealous. Don’t cry because UK/UL isn’t the best rivalry.
I like ya Willi---good pToster. But that damn jealous word....I hate when anyone uses that.

UK/UL is nasty. Hate. Some older UK fans hate the fact the two even play, and constantly remind us how the governor stepped in and made them play. I've been to a cpuple of those games----trust me,its pure hatred.

IU/Purdue is the same...Just total dislike. Same with IU/UK.

Heres the reason i don't think the UNC/Duke rivary, rivals those above: proximity. Duke/UNC are what, 7 miles apart? In other words, its basically an everyone knows everyone type of atmosphere...Probably many Dukies/UNC fans work together....play golf together....hang out at the same bars...hell large majority even related...

Cant sat that with IU/UK, UK/UL, or IU/purdue.

Duke/UNC may get the media vote----and thats cool. Two great programs....But IMO its the type of rivalry it is, gets the hype it gets, more so because of how close the two schools are, opposed to the dislike, hatred that fuels a UK/UL rivalry....

No one, at least not me, is jealous of the UNC/Duke rivalry...Shit we here in Bloomington have two "Duke/UNC" rivals----UK and Purdue.

this.....It might be the "biggest", but its a far cry from most heated..... imo, its a media driven rivalry. like you siad-----they can have the numbers----ill take the passion driven.

IU/PU. UK/UL and KU/ MZ are electric, heated, ally fight wars.
Exactly! I love the Duke/UNc rivalry but if I’m being honest (I know a lot of people can’t handle honesty) it’s just not what it use to be. Still have good games from time to time but it’s like IUfan said, it’s media driven and blew up more than any other rivalry. The UK/UL and the UK/IU rivalry was awesome to watch back in the day and the games was just as good if not better that the Duke/UNc games. I hope we get back to playing IU at some point. It was my second favorite game behind the UL game.

I like ya Willi---good pToster. But that damn jealous word....I hate when anyone uses that.

UK/UL is nasty. Hate. Some older UK fans hate the fact the two even play, and constantly remind us how the governor stepped in and made them play. I've been to a cpuple of those games----trust me,its pure hatred.

Heres the reason i don't think the UNC/Duke rivary, rivals those above: proximity. Duke/UNC are what, 7 miles apart? In other words, its basically an everyone knows everyone type of atmosphere...Probably many Dukies/UNC fans work together....play golf together....hang out at the same bars...hell large majority even related...

Duke/UNC may get the media vote----and thats cool. Two great programs....But IMO its the type of rivalry it is, gets the hype it gets, more so because of how close the two schools are, opposed to the dislike, hatred that fuels a UK/UL rivalry....

No one, at least not me, is jealous of the UNC/Duke rivalry...Shit we here in Bloomington have two "Duke/UNC" rivals----UK and Purdue.

It’s all good Borden. Some UK fans are jealous, the majority are insanely insecure. Some don’t like being second in nothing and it shows and the more when they speak on it. My opinion on the best rivalry won’t change but since the UNC/duke rivalry gets more pub and it always deliver, that’s something you can’t change. The other rivalries are good, may have more hatred etc but overall this is the best one.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
It’s all good Borden. Some UK fans are jealous, the majority are insanely insecure. Some don’t like being second in nothing and it shows and the more when they speak on it. My opinion on the best rivalry won’t change but since the UNC/duke rivalry gets more pub and it always deliver, that’s something you can’t change. The other rivalries are good, may have more hatred etc but overall this is the best one.
Fair enough...

But for the record----the other rivalries are more than, "good". If/when IU/UK resume their series, the hype of THAT game will be insane...

And of note---had IU beaten IOwa in BTT semi-finals, and it had been an IU/Purdue final? That would have been ****ing electric....

Ok, UNC/Duke and everyone else.

UK/UL fans may have more hate in their gutter lives to share, but it's not a bigger rivalry than UNC/Duke.

Learn some cbb history. Try going beyond ESPN some. There's more out there, info.

UK/UL fans may have more hate in their gutter lives to share, but it's not a bigger rivalry than UNC/Duke.

Learn some cbb history. Try going beyond ESPN some. There's more out there, info.
As Marc Antony said, "Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears; I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him."

So I come here not to praise Borden, but to make sure that you people, that know nothing about basketball, understand that Borden is correct.

Plus some folks need to understand that in the mid 1960's no one in North Carolina gave one little shit about college basketball.

While back in Kentucky and Indiana we were ready to go to war over most games. The local TV stations carried the Big Ten, SEC, Ohio Valley, Missouri Valley and NBC games of the week. In North Carolina it was crickets!

So I think @ExecutivePILE needs a course in college basketball history before he tries to tell a bunch of arguing basketball fans (Borden and Bert argue) about shit that happened before North Carolina even knew about the sport of college basketball.

I moved to North Carolina in June 1964 (probably before the "expert" was born). I started dating a girl attending UNC, Greensboro, (remember that in mid-1960's UNC was segregated based on race and sex so she had a different campus instead of those nasty assed boys) and she had no idea about college basketball. Of course I educated her about the sport. That was long before folks in North Carolina had ever seen a college basketball game on TV. It was a sports desert. I would like to know when the first UNC and Duke basketball games was shown on TV.

ESPN in the late 1970's finally introduced North Carolina and Duke basketball. Before ESPN that rivalry was meaningless. ESPN eventually made it important, long after Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, Purdue, LSU et.al. had learned to hate each other.

So don't come here, dude, and try to sell a bunch of basketball fans that the best rivalry started in Durham and Chapel Hill, NC. That ain't going to fly.

Why don't you "Learn some cbb history." duffus.

Last edited:

You have no clue who you are talking, too......And try going beyond ESPN? You see that comment right there tells me a lot. Before ESPN, the Duke/UNC was a rivalry, buried deep in the hills of North Carolina. In other words my friend, its you who needs to go beyond ESPN.

As Marc Antony said, "Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears; I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him."

So I come here not to praise Borden, but to make sure that you people, that know nothing about basketball, understand that Borden is correct.

Plus some folks need to understand that in the mid 1960's no one in North Carolina gave one little shit about college basketball.

While back in Kentucky and Indiana we were ready to go to war over most games. The local TV stations carried the Big Ten, SEC, Ohio Valley, Missouri Valley and NBC games of the week. In North Carolina it was crickets!

So I think @ExecutivePILE needs a course in college basketball history before he tries to tell a bunch of arguing basketball fans (Borden and Bert argue) about shit that happened before North Carolina even knew about the sport of college basketball.

I moved to North Carolina in June 1964 (probably before the "expert" was born). I started dating a girl attending UNC, Greensboro, (remember that in mid-1960's UNC was segregated based on race and sex so she had a different campus instead of those nasty assed boys) and she had no idea about college basketball. Of course I educated her about the sport. That was long before folks in North Carolina had ever seen a college basketball game on TV. It was a sports desert. I would like to know when the first UNC and Duke basketball games was shown on TV.

ESPN in the late 1970's finally introduced North Carolina and Duke basketball. Before ESPN that rivalry was meaningless. ESPN eventually made it important, long after Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, Purdue, LSU et.al. had learned to hate each other.

So don't come here, dude, and try to sell a bunch of basketball fans that the best rivalry started in Durham and Chapel Hill, NC. That ain't going to fly.

Well said...I am no different than most ob here----a big fan of cbb. Only difference is i am also a huge fan of the history. My interest goes well beyond that of just Indiana, and the games. I studied sports history while in college; at one time i wanted to be a sports writer, possibly broadcasting---with one day maybe writing a book(s) about the history of this game...Instead i became extremely insane, and decided to officiate.... 🤣

In other words, and i say this with humility----to question my knowledge about the history of cbb is really a silly thing to do...

• Haha

nobody cares

• Haha

This toilet clogger is highly susceptible to media hype. When that is the case your opinions are flawed.

No, we’re just not so damn insecure in our history and what we’ve accomplished that we need a message board to confirm it. We are here along with plenty others of us laughing at your insecurities. We know what we’ve accomplished and so do you so no need to high Jack every damn thread with an insecurity that we don’t have!
^ Plays with his weenie then smells his fingers.

This toilet clogger is highly susceptible to media hype. When that is the case your opinions are flawed.
Nobody who isn't depressed, hammered and living in KY takes anything Rupp did seriously.

I did not realize we were discussing rivals from the days of peach baskets.

Nobody who isn't depressed, hammered and living in KY takes anything Rupp did seriously.

We’re not. We’re discussing how the many fans from various schools here all agree that UNC/dook isn’t the premier rivalry you’re swallowing. Nothing more or less than that. The history longer than those two programs is merely a long held event before ESPN. Getting irritated at us kind of makes me think you’re even starting to doubt it too.

ric-flair-learn-to-love-it.gif

Last edited:

Is this a serious post? Or are you trolling? Or that ignorant of the history of cbb? Or all the above?

We’re not. We’re discussing how the many fans from various schools here all agree that UNC/dook isn’t the premier rivalry you’re swallowing. Nothing more or less than that. The history longer than those two programs is merely a long held event before ESPN. Getting irritated at us kind of makes me think you’re even starting to doubt it too.

ric-flair-learn-to-love-it.gif
2-3 idiots from extinct powerhouses on a message board = nice consensus.

But keep up the circle jerk you guys have going on the Army/Navy of CBB significance post-1987...

He was coming after you Borden. Why not ask why Duke did not win shit until the 1990's?

I hate folks that pick dates to measure greatness.

The Roman Empire sucked because it happened before 1992. So it does not matter.
I figured, that----just wandering why he took jab at IU, while quoting a UK fan... 🤣

• Haha
I figured, that----just wandering why he took jab at IU, while quoting a UK fan... 🤣
How many titles does IU have? 5
How many titles does Duke have?

Why would he pick on IU. Duke is the late comer.

Why not pick on UCLA? UCLA has 11. We UK fans envy UCLA, but Duke envies IU because they have won five after Indiana won five.

But how do you explain Duke before 1990? Easy they did not count. Now they do and they want to demean Indiana because Indiana counted before Duke ever won shit.

I am 76 years old. Indiana basketball has been a power all of my life. Duke has not been a power all of my life. When Kentucky plays Indiana I am more scared than when Kentucky plays Duke.

I jab Indiana because I love to hate Indiana. He jabs Indiana because he is insecure. Duke is a "johnny-come-lately".

KU/MIZZOU have hatred ties back to the civil war. But the terrors of war cannot touch the UK hatred of Pitino coaching at Louisville. Still blows my mind that confederate statues are being razed but Rick's banner still hangs in Rupp.

i cant argue the unc duke rivalry has delivered more. its due to IU and UL not living up to the hype. When those schools become GREAT again, there'll be no debate. it'll make unc and duke seem like a little girls slapfest

i cant argue the unc duke rivalry has delivered more. its due to IU and UL not living up to the hype. When those schools become GREAT again, there'll be no debate. it'll make unc and duke seem like a little girls slapfest

UL has won a title and have been relevant, IU well all know the problems they've had. Both those teams can be in the title hunt year after year and it still won't matter. Those teams will finish behind the UNC/duke rivalry because like you said, it always deliver and it helps when everyone is watching.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
UL has won a title and have been relevant, IU well all know the problems they've had. Both those teams can be in the title hunt year after year and it still won't matter. Those teams will finish behind the UNC/duke rivalry because like you said, it always deliver and it helps when everyone is watching.
Nobody cares as much as you think they do.

ADVERTISEMENT