ADVERTISEMENT

Bielein is better than Self

Sure, but would you agree that the Kansas brand holds more weight with recruits than the Michigan brand? It's not apples to apples. If the two switched schools their recruiting gap would probably close, no?
Man check the team self left in Illinois when he came to Ku. Brand shmand . self gets talent and coaches em up

Man check the team self left in Illinois when he came to Ku. Brand shmand . self gets talent and coaches em up

Self at Illinois was probably pretty similar to Beilein at Michigan in term of recruiting.

We always hear about how great the Kansas brand is but now you won't agree with me that the Kansas brand carries recruiting weight? Wtf.

It is troubling to see how many Kansas fans take shots at Beilein because a Duke poster makes a troll thread.

I’m sure we will see this some thread in two years because Michigan will be in the NIT next year.

Houston dominated the game but give Beilein credit he drew up a great play to win the game.

You’ll are having a great year and could win the tournament. KU has a tough Clemson game tomorrow, then Duke/Cuse, then Purdue/TT/wvu/Nova before we get a shot at Michigan. Rival fans will consider us chokers but that’s a tough stretch for any team.

I’m sure we will see this some thread in two years because Michigan will be in the NIT next year.

Houston dominated the game but give Beilein credit he drew up a great play to win the game.

You’ll are having a great year and could win the tournament. KU has a tough Clemson game tomorrow, then Duke/Cuse, then Purdue/TT/wvu/Nova before we get a shot at Michigan. Rival fans will consider us chokers but that’s a tough stretch for any team.

Huh?

Did you see we lost Mgck? Sucks. I wanted him and SNU to both stay. Wasn't a fan of them ban betting

Losing Matty was worse. But Geezus that guy attempted self-fellation like it would somehow save the world. He had to be 50/50 on his predictions/Hot Takes, yet he'd get selective amnesia about tidbits behind some of his wrongs.

I'd love to find a board where it was just open, intelligent cbb dialog without ass hurt fan boys sticking their "worth" in.

Losing Matty was worse. But Geezus that guy attempted self-fellation like it would somehow save the world. He had to be 50/50 on his predictions/Hot Takes, yet he'd get selective amnesia about tidbits behind some of his wrongs.

I'd love to find a board where it was just open, intelligent cbb dialog without ass hurt fan boys sticking their "worth" in.

RollLaugh So fvcking outRollLaugh

Listen, I really like this Mi team and Beilein. But OP, lay off the crack pipe.

Mi lost to Oregon last year as well, and they would have likely won the game had Beilein reminded his players to box out on rebounds, esp at the FT line. Jordan Bell tore Mi apart on the glass, pretty much all game long.

Perhaps Beilein has learned his lesson with this team, unlike the past: play defense and rebound. This team has bought into it.

As for Self: he has won a NC, two FFs, & and no doubt he built that great 2005 Illini team.

Both are great coaches.

Self has been without his most talented big man about twelve years in a row but I don't see anyone giving him a pass for any tourney losses.

Embiid and Azubuike were probably the difference in missing two final fours and arguably a title.

Yea. Self is the only coach who’s team has suffered injuries. Smh. Self deserves no “pass”. You lost at home to Oregon last year to go to the FF.

You remember Michigan also lost to Oregon by 1 point in the tournament, because the guy that went in the first round of the NBA draft didn’t box out on a free throw.
Yep. But I'm also saying there are multiple versions of a team. You get their A game, B game, C game, or maybe their F game. For instance, if you get the aTm that showed up against UNC, that game last night is much more interesting. Maybe you even lose. If you get last night's aTm but shoot like you did against Houston, aTm wins last night's game going away. That's just the thing. Some nights a team is just feeling it. Oregon for the first 25 minutes couldn't miss. At one point they made something like 15 of 17 shots, including 5 three pointers in a row. Two of those threes were banked in, and one of them hit the back of the iron, popped 10 feet in the air and somehow fell through the hoop. And that doesn't consider the difficult two pointers they hit. They were hotter in the first 25 minutes than Michigan was last night. They did cool off the last 15 minutes, but at that point we were down 17 points and the pressure was on and we were missing shots we normally hit. We did get back to within 4 points or something like that despite our poor 2nd half shooting, but then they hit a three pointer with 1 second left on the shot clock, several feet behind the line with a guy in his face..... And that killed our comeback.

Yea. Self is the only coach who’s team has suffered injuries. Smh. Self deserves no “pass”. You lost at home to Oregon last year to go to the FF.
Of course other teams have been without their best big. But KU has had more than their fair share of shit luck with key injuries in March. I can't remember the last time we went into the tourney at full strength. It is what it is.

Last edited:

Not asking for a pass. But don't try to act like playing without one or more of your top talents several years in a row is the norm.

I'm pretty sure that no one would have hammered Calipari if Anthony Davis had gone down before the tourney and they failed to reach the F4.

Not asking for a pass. But don't try to act like playing without one or more of your top talents several years in a row is the norm.

I'm pretty sure that no one would have hammered Calipari if Anthony Davis had gone down before the tourney and they failed to reach the F4.

Well folks did hammer Cal and UK when Nerlens went down and they failed to make the tourney. Was that a fair criticism to you?

Yep. But I'm also saying there are multiple versions of a team. You get their A game, B game, C game, or maybe their F game. For instance, if you get the aTm that showed up against UNC, that game last night is much more interesting. Maybe you even lose. If you get last night's aTm but shoot like you did against Houston, aTm wins last night's game going away. That's just the thing. Some nights a team is just feeling it. Oregon for the first 25 minutes couldn't miss. At one point they made something like 15 of 17 shots, including 5 three pointers in a row. Two of those threes were banked in, and one of them hit the back of the iron, popped 10 feet in the air and somehow fell through the hoop. And that doesn't consider the difficult two pointers they hit. They were hotter in the first 25 minutes than Michigan was last night. They did cool off the last 15 minutes, but at that point we were down 17 points and the pressure was on and we were missing shots we normally hit. We did get back to within 4 points or something like that despite our poor 2nd half shooting, but then they hit a three pointer with 1 second left on the shot clock, several feet behind the line with a guy in his face..... And that killed our comeback.

No. Stupid statement.

Should Self ever fail to tourney....
Good one!!!
tenor.gif

Reactions: KisteK
Well folks did hammer Cal and UK when Nerlens went down and they failed to make the tourney. Was that a fair criticism to you?

Losing early in the tourney wouldn't have been deserving of criticism, but failing to make the field from a weak league with a top 3 roster because one guy missed a handful of games? Ha. Please.

Last edited:
Both are great coaches. JB is 65 and Self is 55 so I'd certainly pick Self if I was starting a team. Not to mention Self's consistency is remarkable.

Duke fans are trash.

Reactions: blue_in_chicago
Hopefully JB gives Self a few pointers on how to win this next game---I'll take all the help we can get.

Reactions: MGO1668

What are you smoking? That game was a back and forth defensive struggle. It was actually a more ugly game to watch. Houston's largest lead was 5 points. Late game - Michigan regained the lead and held it two different times.

Bottom line, Michigan advanced, luck or not. I don't think this game would have been so close had the BIG Tourney been the weekend of Selection Sunday. Horrible decision by the BIG. Every BIG tourney team looked really flat in the first 2 rounds, even Purdue in their first game, despite what the score suggested.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/playbyplay?gameId=401025868

4 years ago UM missed the dance and 3 years ago they lost the play in game. Beilein is a damn good coach but he’s not a HOFer. Needs to win a natty but damn good coach at a football school to boot.

Michigan won that playin game, then lost in the first round.

At Michigan, Beilein has won the first game of every NCAA and BIG tournament game he has been in.

We might see Beliein vs Self again this time for a natty

He should have another Final Four and at least another Elite 8 during his time at WVU.

Blew a 20 point lead against Louisville in the Elite 8 in 05.

It is really a disservice to Beilein to say that they blew a 20 point lead in that 05 game; Louisville went something like the last 13 minutes in regulation of that classic getting a basket on every possession or free throws and got it to OT despite a withering three point barrage by WVU (for whatever reason the number 18 of 24 sticks with me) and not turning WVU over...and Louisville had four quality perimeter shooters that year with Dean, O'Bannon, Francisco Garcia and a stretch four in Palacios. Truly one of the more phenomenal games I've ever watched. Big shot after big shot.

I'm a big fan of Beilein; he's such a throwback coach that he comes across as innovative, but there is no substitute for watching a team in the halfcourt where all positions pass, the spacing is synchronized with cutting and everyone plays unselfishly.

What are you smoking? That game was a back and forth defensive struggle. It was actually a more ugly game to watch. Houston's largest lead was 5 points. Late game - Michigan regained the lead and held it two different times.

Bottom line, Michigan advanced, luck or not. I don't think this game would have been so close had the BIG Tourney been the weekend of Selection Sunday. Horrible decision by the BIG. Every BIG tourney team looked really flat in the first 2 rounds, even Purdue in their first game, despite what the score suggested.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/playbyplay?gameId=401025868

The dumbest thing he said was that Michigan would be an NIT next year. If Wagner returns, Michigan will be a top 5 preseason team. Even if he leaves Michigan will be a top 15 preseason team.

4 years ago UM missed the dance and 3 years ago they lost the play in game. Beilein is a damn good coach but he’s not a HOFer. Needs to win a natty but damn good coach at a football school to boot.

Lol. Look at this fvck with his typical post.

In 2015 Michigan missed the dance because they lost three sophomores to the 2014 NBA Draft and then their starting backcourt (which consisted of two guys on current NBA contracts) both got season ending injuries early in the conference season.

Michigan didn't lose the play-in game the following year either, which was in part due to Levert getting hurt again for nearly all of the conference season.

Self at Illinois was probably pretty similar to Beilein at Michigan in term of recruiting.

We always hear about how great the Kansas brand is but now you won't agree with me that the Kansas brand carries recruiting weight? Wtf.

Kansas, like Duke and the most corrupt Kentucky can recruit anyone. But out of the three, Self is the best coach. As a Michigan wolverine my self. I have some respect for the Kansas coach. The other two, not so much.

But let's be honest here. I can't think of a coach that gets more out of less than John Beilein. Go back and look at this class he has taken to the final four. You are talking about 2 and 3 star players with a couple 4 stars mixed in. He can develop players like I have never seen. The one time he gets a 5 star player and a few 4 stars , he takes them straight to the national title game. Also remember Trey Burke was a 3 star player out of high school. Kansas knows him very well.

MIchigan has the original Fab 5 that Calipari and now K are trying to mimic. The fact Beilein rolls out a JV roster with 2-3 ballers every year is not a mad genius move. It leads to some losing seasons in fact. Maybe he can’t recruit because he’s old though-give him a pass for that?

Beilein is exceptionally clean so he’s probably not going to land very many big time recruits. Notice we are not currently under fbi investigation

ADVERTISEMENT