ADVERTISEMENT

Bielein is better than Self

bignish

Gold Member
Feb 15, 2016
Team
Duke
Who still thinks Self is as good of a coach as Beilein?

Michigan passing was Warrior-esque tonight. No way Beilein let’s KU lose to Oregon last year.

Discuss.

4 years ago UM missed the dance and 3 years ago they lost the play in game. Beilein is a damn good coach but he’s not a HOFer. Needs to win a natty but damn good coach at a football school to boot.

Reactions: cooljeff
Self is a better coach. No doubt but Beliein is easily a top 10 coach.

4 years ago UM missed the dance and 3 years ago they lost the play in game. Beilein is a damn good coach but he’s not a HOFer. Needs to win a natty but damn good coach at a football school to boot.
4 years ago Michigan lost to Kentucky in the Elite 8, a year after playing for the Natty, but I guess he's no Tom "Bracket Buster" Izzo..Eyeroll

Reactions: Blue_J
If K retired today would you rather have Beilen or Self as your coach?
John Beilein no question, one of the most innovative coaches in the game

He’s great at in game adjustments.

Trade Self for Beilein and KU would have 2 more championships at least with the talent the Jayhawks have had.

Eh but will be close if Beliein wins the natty this year...

I don't define coaching ability by hardware. Roy can win 3 more before hanging it up but you'll never convince me that he's a better coach than Self.

Likewise, Brad Stevens never got one, but I'd rate his ability over anyone currently coaching.

The only two years we missed recently are because we lost LeVert to a season ending injury both years. Context matters.

The only two years we missed recently are because we lost LeVert to a season ending injury both years. Context matters.

Self has been without his most talented big man about twelve years in a row but I don't see anyone giving him a pass for any tourney losses.

Embiid and Azubuike were probably the difference in missing two final fours and arguably a title.

Trade Self for Beilein and KU would have 2 more championships at least with the talent the Jayhawks have had.

We should fire Self now. Actually, the Baugh was destined to be at KU too so let’s swap football coaches.

Self has been without his most talented big man about twelve years in a row but I don't see anyone giving him a pass for any tourney losses.

Embiid and Azubuike were probably the difference in missing two final fours and arguably a title.

I wasn’t comparing the two. I was responding to the MSU troll who was taking a shot as if Beilein missed the tournament with full strength.

One of those years we lost LeVert AND Walton to season ending injuries.

Def a top 5-10 in game coach.

He should have another Final Four and at least another Elite 8 during his time at WVU.

Blew a 20 point lead against Louisville in the Elite 8 in 05, and then Texas hit a shot from damn near half court to beat us in the S16 in 06.

Reactions: Big ol arms
Who still thinks Self is as good of a coach as Beilein?

Michigan passing was Warrior-esque tonight. No way Beilein let’s KU lose to Oregon last year.

Discuss.
So much potato in this post.

Self’s team destroyed Purdue last year and they looked even more impressive than Michigan tonight. KU lost because Oregon got hot and hit some slop shots. They were shooting unreal. Oregon lost by a single point to UNC(you know that team that won it all) despite missing the shots they were hitting against us. Michigan would get their shit pushed in if they had to play that Oregon team.

And Michigan shouldn’t even still be playing. Beilein didn’t hit that miracle 3. A freshman hitting the shot of his life is the only reason they beat Houston. Yes, HOUSTON..

Two 30 foot jumpers has defined Beliein’s career
Pretty much. Although in that KU game a few years back, it was several 30 footers. That shooting rampage Burke went on was like nothing I’ve ever seen.

Self destroyed Purdue last year and looked even more impressive than Michigan tonight. KU lost because Oregon got hot and hit some slop shots. They were shooting unreal. Oregon lost by a single point to UNC(you know that team that won it all) and missed the shots they were hitting against us. Michigan would get their shit pushed in if they had to play that Oregon team.

And Michigan shouldn’t even still be playing. Beilein didn’t hit that miracle 3. A freshman hitting the shot of his life is the only reason they beat Houston. Yes, HOUSTON..

Oh come on. It’s march. Sometimes you’re on the right side of madness sometimes you’re on the wrong side of it. Five years ago we lost a title game with terrible refs to a team that cheated. 4 years ago Aaron Harrison ruined our season with a dagger from 30 feet in the elite 8. Last year Derrick Walton (43% from three) missed a wide open look that would have sent them to the elite 8 over Oregon.

Give Michigan credit for being where they are even if it took a catching a break to get there.

OP is like the CBS analyst who proclaimed Michigsn to be the 2018 natty champs after we won the conference tourney. Let’s not get carried away

Oh come on. It’s march. Sometimes you’re on the right side of madness sometimes you’re on the wrong side of it. Five years ago we lost a title game with terrible refs to a team that cheated. 4 years ago Aaron Harrison ruined our season with a dagger from 30 feet in the elite 8. Last year Derrick Walton (43% from three) missed a wide open look that would have sent them to the elite 8 over Oregon.

Give Michigan credit for being where they are even if it took a catching a break to get there.
Oh I do give them credit and Beilein is a good coach. Just think the OP is out of his gourd a bit.

And sometimes you’re on the right side of the Madness and sometimes the wrong side. That’s true. But some teams have had the shit luck while others have had more of the good luck. I know it’s a phenomenon of statistics, but as a KU fan I’ve seen us on the wrong end over and over again. The only time we’ve been on the right side of it was 2008 with Mario’s big 3 and some missed FTs by Memphis. Other than that I’ve seen a whole lot of last second 30+ footers against us. Crucial shot clock beating guarded 3s, banked in slop....just over and over and over again. I watch other games and they miss those shots. But not against us. The impossible shots always go in against us. I’m pretty sure Danny Manning slaughtered some chickens and sold his soul to some basketball voodoo god in ‘88. Cause other than ‘08, our luck has been shit ever since.

Reactions: rockchalk4ever
Oh I do give them credit and Beilein is a good coach. Just think the OP is out of his gourd a bit.

And sometimes you’re on the right side of the Madness and sometimes the wrong side. That’s true. But some teams have had the shit luck while others have had more of the good luck. I know it’s a phenomenon of statistics, but as a KU fan I’ve seen us on the wrong end over and over again. The only time we’ve been on the right side of it was 2008 with Mario’s big 3 and some missed FTs by Memphis. Other than that I’ve seen a whole lot of last second 30+ footers against us. Crucial shot clock beating guarded 3s, banked in slop....just over and over and over again. I watch other games and they miss those shots. But not against us. The impossible shots always go in against us. I’m pretty sure Danny Manning slaughtered some chickens and sold his soul to some basketball voodoo god in ‘88. Cause other than ‘08, our luck has been shit ever since.

The OP is blatantly trolling

OP is like the CBS analyst who proclaimed Michigsn to be the 2018 natty champs after we won the conference tourney. Let’s not get carried away
Well it isn’t unrealistic anymore. That half of the bracket is broken down. You won’t have to play anybody that is legitimately better than you until the title game if you make it that far. Whoever comes out on top from that half of the bracket will almost surely be a dog, but at that point it’s just a matter of beating one good team.

Beilein at WVU
Big East 5 seasons
104-60 Elite Eight & Sweet Sixteen.

Before Beilein (Catlett)
Big East 7 seasons 106-99 Sweet Sixteen
WVU only had 7 tournament appearances in 24 years under Catlett. One Sweet Sixteen.

Not to mention the terrible state of the program (facing possible sanctions) when Beilein took the job. That nobody wanted.

Reactions: Big ol arms
They’re both great coaches. I’m not gonna bite on the OP’s attempt to get me triggered.

Dumb thread in general. Carry on if you want. I’m out.

Reactions: hailtoyourvictor
Both solid, top coaches.
Beilein is absolutely capable of getting into the HOF, tho I don't know his age. Michigan basketball is in great hands.

Would not trade Self, but I don't think it's insane that others would choose Beilein over Self to man their program. JB reeling in high recruits on the yearly would be quite interesting..

Both have a great collection of talent in their upcoming 2018 recruiting class.
Looking like they're both gon keep on keepin on.

Self’s team destroyed Purdue last year and they looked even more impressive than Michigan tonight. KU lost because Oregon got hot and hit some slop shots. They were shooting unreal. Oregon lost by a single point to UNC(you know that team that won it all) despite missing the shots they were hitting against us. Michigan would get their shit pushed in if they had to play that Oregon team.

You remember Michigan also lost to Oregon by 1 point in the tournament, because the guy that went in the first round of the NBA draft didn’t box out on a free throw.

But here’s the thing, Beilein has to recruit too. So he’s not getting the “talent the Jayhawks have had”.

Reactions: jayhawker332
But here’s the thing, Beilein has to recruit too. So he’s not getting the “talent the Jayhawks have had”.

Here's the other thing: defense is generally important. Beilein teams usually don't play it.

Sure, but would you agree that the Kansas brand holds more weight with recruits than the Michigan brand? It's not apples to apples. If the two switched schools their recruiting gap would probably close, no?

ADVERTISEMENT