ADVERTISEMENT

Best Venue/Gym in CBB

Random UK Fan

Dec 10, 2018
I’ve not been to many away games, so admittedly my opinion has its limit. My vote would go to Cameron. It’s not the biggest. It’s not the most up-to-date, but I love the energy the fans bring to the game. The students have the best seats.

I honestly do not think there's much differences between places like AFH, Assembly Hall, Cameron, Rupp, when the places are rokin', i.e. Big games. Even include Mackey. A forgotten, now defunct areana, is Freedom Hall. That place would get loud as ****; especially when UL/UK played----or the the annual IU/UK game.

TBH, the loudest venue I've ever been in,is Assembly Hall. Probably because of the design.

Other great venues/atmospheres'----Hinkle Fieldhouse. I've been there as a fan, and as an official. The place is very unique,and can be extremely loud. Diddle Arena is another hidden gem.....Never been there as a fan, but have worked there.

I think a lot of us get caught up in the obvious, i.e. AFH, Rupp, AH, etc, etc...But trust me, there are some small venues around the country that are flat out loud, crazy, and a ton of fun.

So. Illinois, Wichita St are a couple more.

And this is gonna sound crazy, but some of the best atmosphere's I've worked in have been HS gyms here in Indiana....Seymour(8,000), New Castle(9,000-10,000), The old Wigwam(9,000), JOhnson Arena(Jeffersonville HS).....And then the small town gyms that hold only 3, 4 or 5 thousand---Or tiny Crothersville(capacity of 1,800).

I've worked packed houses at Butler, WKU, etc, etc....Been to packed houses at IU, UK, and Freedom Hall. BUt some of the most electric, juiced up, intimidating places I've worked have been HS tournament games here in Indiana. Or just plain old rivalry games: New Albany/Jeff is a vicious rivalry here in southern Indiana. Austin/Scottsburg, as well. Folk just do not realize how serious HS basketball is in the state of Indiana....

Breslin and Mackey are both great

Schottenstein Center is great for hockey.

Allen Fieldhouse was way overrated (I don’t care how much wheat they wave).

Want to see a game someday at either the Barn in Minny or Hinkle

AFH might not consistently be what it was 20 years ago, but it's still as loud as anywhere for big games.

Haven't been to that many of the classic arenas outside of Cameron.

But, based on sound noise from the TV I might say something like...

1. Kansas
2. Indiana
3. Duke
4. Purdue
5. Gonzaga

There are others in contention, certainly.

I don't think it's the best by any means, but Auburn Arena is a really fun place to watch a game. Gets really loud for 9,100 people and with the steep incline of the different levels there isn't a bad seat in the building.

I've always liked Arkansas' Bud Walton Arena and Purdue's Mackey Complex. They are both crazy loud. Purdue might have the loudest atmosphere in basketball right now. The place rattles the TV cameras.

Reactions: snowsquirrel11
If you ever go to Hinkle make sure of these few things:

1. Afternoon game---Its a great sight with the sunlight coming in...

butler-university-hinkle-fieldhouse.jpg

2. Sit behind the baskets, upper level.

3. If you cannot make a CBB there, then go to a Regional/Semi-Stet game(Indiana State Tourney). Unreal atmosphere.

I've worked both college and HS games there----One of the best atmospheres ever.

I'll take Rupp for any big game but for your average contest have to go AFH
I've been to Rupp for some biggies----MSU years ago was one of the loudest I've heard. I'd put Rupp and Assembly Hall up against any venue for any big game.

BUddy of mine was at the IU/UK game in 2011-----Couldn't hear yourself talk, and was so loud said it made it feel as if your ears had cotton in them....

I honestly do not think there's much differences between places like AFH, Assembly Hall, Cameron, Rupp, when the places are rokin', i.e. Big games. Even include Mackey. A forgotten, now defunct areana, is Freedom Hall. That place would get loud as ****; especially when UL/UK played----or the the annual IU/UK game.

TBH, the loudest venue I've ever been in,is Assembly Hall. Probably because of the design.

Other great venues/atmospheres'----Hinkle Fieldhouse. I've been there as a fan, and as an official. The place is very unique,and can be extremely loud. Diddle Arena is another hidden gem.....Never been there as a fan, but have worked there.

I think a lot of us get caught up in the obvious, i.e. AFH, Rupp, AH, etc, etc...But trust me, there are some small venues around the country that are flat out loud, crazy, and a ton of fun.

So. Illinois, Wichita St are a couple more.

And this is gonna sound crazy, but some of the best atmosphere's I've worked in have been HS gyms here in Indiana....Seymour(8,000), New Castle(9,000-10,000), The old Wigwam(9,000), JOhnson Arena(Jeffersonville HS).....And then the small town gyms that hold only 3, 4 or 5 thousand---Or tiny Crothersville(capacity of 1,800).

I've worked packed houses at Butler, WKU, etc, etc....Been to packed houses at IU, UK, and Freedom Hall. BUt some of the most electric, juiced up, intimidating places I've worked have been HS tournament games here in Indiana. Or just plain old rivalry games: New Albany/Jeff is a vicious rivalry here in southern Indiana. Austin/Scottsburg, as well. Folk just do not realize how serious HS basketball is in the state of Indiana....
You lost me as soon as you lumped Rupp in the same group as AFH and Cameron.
Find me 1 person outside the state of Indiana that feels Assembly hall is on par with Cameron and AFH. It isnt. It is a great ace to watch a game, but not in the discussion for the best.

I haven’t been to many other places, but I think how Breslin Center at MSU has the “Izzone” (our student section) all have best seats in the house and wrap around the court for the first few layers is really cool. Students having good seats adds to atmosphere.

I went to MSU-UM game in 2018-2019 to either split the title with them or win it outright, and the place was just absolutely rocking. Had to yell to talk to someone right next to you.

Reactions: Random UK Fan

Schottenstein/Value City is pretty fun for bball as well. I went to a few games there back in the late 90's/early 00's.

Find me 1 person outside the state of Indiana that feels Assembly hall is on par with Cameron and AFH. It isnt. It is a great ace to watch a game, but not in the discussion for the best.
Look up a few posts. Dukedevils (not a hoosier) thinks its pretty high up. Theres one.

Look up a few posts. Dukedevils (not a hoosier) thinks its pretty high up. Theres one.
I’ve never been so cannot comment. However I’ve heard from Hoosier friends/coworkers through the years that they unanimously dislike the balconies at AH. How can an arena be so great when even its own fans dislike 50% of it?

Reactions: snowsquirrel11
I’ve never been so cannot comment. However I’ve heard from Hoosier friends/coworkers through the years that they unanimously dislike the balconies at AH. How can an arena be so great when even its own fans dislike 50% of it?
I don't mind the balcony however, I understand the ones who dislike them, they can be intimidating. Also, the balcony's are not even close to 50% of seating.

Ass sore? Nah, but your arena isn’t nearly as great as you want to think it is.

Says a random Illinois fan who attended one game.

Here's what people who determine things like this for a living think:

1: KANSAS (ALLEN FIELDHOUSE)​

You could argue for Duke or Kansas to be in this spot, but you have no argument for anyone else. These two are clearly a cut above the rest and host some special atmospheres in the scheme of this sport.

https://nothingbutnylon.com/best-college-basketball-atmospheres/

Says a random Illinois fan who attended one game.

Here's what people who determine things like this for a living think:

1: KANSAS (ALLEN FIELDHOUSE)​

You could argue for Duke or Kansas to be in this spot, but you have no argument for anyone else. These two are clearly a cut above the rest and host some special atmospheres in the scheme of this sport.

https://nothingbutnylon.com/best-college-basketball-atmospheres/
A random Kansas fan lecturing a random Illini fan about his subjective opinion on an anonymous message board.

It’s true what they say…there really ISN’T anything to do in Kansas.

I’d like to do Rupp for a big game, but just seems so quiet on TV most of the time. Even when a top 25 team is in town it seems pretty quiet most of the night.

AFH and Cameron are the two I never turn on the TV and find silence so those are probably my top 2.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
A random Kansas fan lecturing a random Illini fan about his subjective opinion on an anonymous message board.

It’s true what they say…there really ISN’T anything to do in Kansas.
One time I drove to Illinois and hit a massive pothole. Your state isn't as great as you think it is.

Indisputable fact. Sorry, chief.

One time I drove to Illinois and hit a massive pothole. Your state isn't as great as you think it is.

Indisputable fact. Sorry, chief.
Look Ace, you’re acting like I’ve somehow insulted your manhood by saying I wasn’t impressed with Allen Fieldhouse. Are you that Charmin soft or just trolling. I can’t really tell at this point.

First off, there are about 5 HS gyms in Indiana bigger than Cameron...

Secondly---For a BIG game, Rupp is a monster.

Third----You act as if my opinion on AH is just another opinion of another IU fan---When in fact, many analyst, coaches, etc, etc....have called AH one of the toughest venues to play in. Now, does it have some terrible seats? Yep---quite a few of them. So if the question is, "Where is the best place to warch a game", then I woyld agree AH isn't very high on the list; but then again, I wouldn't eliminate an arena b/c of a few thousand seats being meh---when the place holds 17,000+.

WHoa---I just noticed----you said AH is a great place to watch a game....Ok. If you feel that way, how in the hell can you say AH isn't on par with Cameron? You could fit CIS in the south wing of Assembly Hall.

Reactions: JimboBBN
Huh? 50% of it? Seats in the balcony can be bad---MOF, they are----But those seats don't account for even close to 50%.

Does this look to you as if 50% of the seats are in the balcony?

Assembly_Hall_Progress_ED_17.JPG

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Huh? 50% of it? Seats in the balcony can be bad---MOF, they are----But those seats don't account for even close to 50%.

Does this look to you as if 50% of the seats are in the balcony?

Assembly_Hall_Progress_ED_17.JPG
Like I said, I’d never been so it’s only what I’d heard from Hoosier fans I’ve known through the years.

Like I said, I’d never been so it’s only what I’d heard from Hoosier fans I’ve known through the years.
First 10 rows or so of the balcony, are OK....Hell I sat first row, balcony, mid-court----great seats. Lower level is 95% great....But upper section can be rough. I'd say 90% of the seating at AH is just fine. Maybe those friends have shit seats....?? 🤣 😁

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT