The Shield

Comedy
Seinfeld
The Office
Curb Your Enthusiasm
East Bound and Down
Cheers

Beat that. Winking

Why beat it when we can just criticize your choices? :)

I need to put some thought into this (hard to do with Wood U Wed needing all my attention tomorrow), but off the top of my head I can say that Breaking Bad is definitely #1 all time in my book. The Shield might make the top 5 as well. Both of those shows had amazing runs capped out by perfect endings. GOT would probably make my list as well.

Tried getting into the Wire years later, but it didn't grab my interest after half a dozen eps so never went back.

As for Sopranos, I personally think its in the running for most overrated show in tv history.

You lost me at comedies though. Seinfeld, IMO went to shit the last few years. Curb had the same fate and brining it back for more shitty episodes is only lowering it in my overall rankings. Office was great for a while and then fell off. PLus the first season was as rip off of the British version. East bound and down had a great first season and then meh. Cheers another one that was great and then pretty bad at the end.

I wouldn't put any of those in my top 5 comedies. Right off the bat I would include two English shows that are both on Netflix, Peep Show and the IT Crowd. Might be the two funniest shows I've ever seen. It's Always Sunny might be in the running for top 5. VEEP had a great run. Comedies are tough, they all seem to fizzle out towards the end unless tjhey have short 5 season runs or less similar to those two English shows I was hyping.

will probably miss something, but here goes......

DRAMA
LA Law
The Practice
Suits
The Sopranos

COMEDY - might be tough as I don't watch many anymore
Seinfeld
Friends
Entourage
East Bound and Down
Curb Your Enthusiasm

Drama
The Wire
The Sopranos
Game of Thrones
Breaking Bad
The Shield

Comedy
Seinfeld
The Office
Curb Your Enthusiasm
East Bound and Down
Cheers

Beat that. Winking
Never really got into The Shield, but your other 4 dramas all make my list. I might go... Six Feet Under for my final drama.

Comedy
Arrested Development
Simpsons
Seinfeld
Flight of the Conchords
Parks & Rec

Drama:
Game of thrones
Vikings
Black sails

Comedy:
South Park

great start
mine would be

Drama:
Game of thrones (greatest series ever)
Vikings
Black sails
Spartacus
Star Trek (original)

Comedy:
South Park
Archer
Family Guy
Modern Dad
Beverly Hillbilly's

i know a lot of people loved "Breaking Bad" for whatever reason i could never get interested in it

Drama
Californication
Breaking Bad
House of Cards
Ray Donovan
Game of Thrones

Bonus: Dexter

Comedy
Chappelle’s Show
East Bound and Down
Entourage
South Park
TV Funhouse

Bonus: Review (Criminally underrated show, got cancelled after 2 seasons)

Drama (any list without these 3 is invalid)
Sopranos
The Wire
Breaking Bad

Comedy
Chappelle’s Show
South Park
Its Always Sunny
Arrested Development
King of the Hill (I will fight anybody that disagrees)

Edit: swapped Seinfeld for Its Always Sunny

Last edited:
Reactions: 829305
Never really got into The Shield, but your other 4 dramas all make my list. I might go... Six Feet Under for my final drama.

Comedy
Arrested Development
Simpsons
Seinfeld
Flight of the Conchords
Parks & Rec

AD (prob my 6th) and Simpsons would be in my top 10, and prob Parks & Rec if I ever watched it. FotC was way too out there for me.

Drama
Californication
Breaking Bad
House of Cards
Ray Donovan
Game of Thrones

Bonus: Dexter

Comedy
Chappelle’s Show
East Bound and Down
Entourage
South Park
TV Funhouse

Bonus: Review (Criminally underrated show, got cancelled after 2 seasons)

Loved Californication. Could probably even put that in comedy. Everything on your list is great, except I don’t know TV Funhouse.

Dexter really went south after Lithgow, then bounced back late. Then, took a massive shit with the ending.

Reactions: Hank_
Any drama category that doesn't include The West Wing is wrong ;)

Drama:
West Wing
Game of Thrones
Mad Men
Peaky Blinders

Comedy:
The Office
Parks and Rec
Seinfeld
Entourage
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Dexter really went south after Lithgow, then bounced back late. Then, took a massive shit with the ending.

Just like Eastbound and Down, I try to forget that the last season ever happened.

I still maintain that the 1st and 4th seasons of Dexter were some of the best TV ever.

Breaking Bad
Band of Brothers
Lost
Walking Dead

Andy Griffith
Adult Swim
Key and Peale
Seinfeld
The Office

Drama
The Wire
The Sopranos
Game of Thrones
Breaking Bad
The Shield
Agree with your top 5 minus the soprano's... Might switch it for sons of anarchy.

Edit: also it's always sunny should be in everyone's top 5 comedy list.

Band of Brothers
The Wire
Breaking Bad
Game of Thrones
Walking Dead

Just out - Lost and Battlestar Galactica

Comedies:
Arrested Development
Community
30 Rock
Always Sunny
The League

Just out - larry sanders, curb your enthusiasm, and anything with H. Jon Benjamin

EDIT: AAAAAnd I'm unable to post again!

Last edited:
Reactions: WheelerG
Agree with your top 5 minus the soprano's... Might switch it for sons of anarchy.

Edit: also it's always sunny should be in everyone's top 5 comedy list.
Need to watch Always Sunny. My brother swears by it. I’ve watched a couple, but Netflix got rid of it just as I began.

This is exactly right. I always tell people that the first four seasons make the show worth watching. But after that it seems like they try too hard. I still watched, but don't blame people who didn't. The ending had no chance at not pissing everybody off. There was just too many loopholes.

I recently saw a theory that I never considered.

was the Narration from Dexter the vigilante who killed people in Miami based on a code his adoptive father trained him to go by? Or is it from Dexter from Alaska who was a lumberjack the whole time sharing some twisted thoughts that he had in his mind but never carried out?

Reactions: 829305 and tw3301
This is exactly right. I always tell people that the first four seasons make the show worth watching. But after that it seems like they try too hard. I still watched, but don't blame people who didn't. The ending had no chance at not pissing everybody off. There was just too many loopholes.

I recently saw a theory that I never considered.

was the Narration from Dexter the vigilante who killed people in Miami based on a code his adoptive father trained him to go by? Or is it from Dexter from Alaska who was a lumberjack the whole time sharing some twisted thoughts that he had in his mind but never carried out?
I liked every season except the last... That one was meh. The Lithgow/Rita season ending event ****ed me up.

Drama
The Wire
The Sopranos
Game of Thrones
Breaking Bad
The Shield

Comedy
Seinfeld
The Office
Curb Your Enthusiasm
East Bound and Down
Cheers

Beat that. Winking

Gilligan’s Is;and
Gilligan’s island
Gilligan’s island
Cheers
Mash

GOT
Shogun
Star Trek (original)
Lonesome Dove
Hill Street Blues

Sidenote: I’ve never laughed at any parks and Rec or Always Sunny episode. Just isn’t funny to me, idk.
problem.gif

I've probably watched 5 total dramas..
I liked Weeds
And the last three seasons of Sons of Anarchy
I'm currently on Shameless..?

I bore easy.

Comedies are easier
Bob's Burgers
Parks and Rec
Friends
Who's Line..
Mama's Family

Reactions: MileHighSpartan
I’ve tried man, parks and rec and always sunny is equivalent to Kevin hart to me, not funny and mostly wack.
What are you watching? Kevin Hart? I can get if the humor doesn't appeal to someone but that show is nowhere close or anyway similar to anything Kevin Hart has done.

Reactions: tw3301
Weighted for peak performance, tried not to deduct too much for holding on too long.

Dramas:
  • The Wire
  • Game of Thrones
  • The Leftovers
  • Battlestar Galactica
  • Breaking Bad
Comedies:
  • The Simpsons
  • It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
  • Parks and Recreation
  • The Office
  • Arrested Development
On the cusp: 30 Rock, The Americans (have only watched 3 seasons), Veep (haven't seen enough episodes), Curb (same), Seinfeld (aged poorly), Sopranos (didn't watch when relevant, feels aged now).

Not even close: anything by Aaron Sorkin.

And Band of Brothers is a miniseries, not a TV show, or it makes the list and bumps Battlestar.

If you're putting together a list of your top 5 shows of all time I think it should go without saying that the show has to be brilliant from start to finish of it's run. there's no way you should be including a show that fizzled out at the end.

I see lots of shows in peoples top 5 that had awful finishes. Dexter, Mad Men to name a couple. Not seeing how with all the amazing tv out there, how someone could accept a poorly finished show as one of the 5 best they've ever witnessed. That's why I struggle with Lost. Such an amazing and ground breaking show, but such an uneven wrap up.

Also agree with poster who pointed out that Band of Brothers is not a tv show, it's a single run mini-series. Amazing, but not eligible for this list.

Interesting question: What shows do you think had the best finishes?

For me, off the top of my head it's Breaking Bad and The Shield. Those two had perfect endings...especially the Shield with the ironic ending of the Vic Mackey's character.

On the cusp: 30 Rock, The Americans (have only watched 3 seasons), Veep (haven't seen enough episodes), Curb (same), Seinfeld (aged poorly), Sopranos (didn't watch when relevant, feels aged now).

Not even close: anything by Aaron Sorkin.

And Band of Brothers is a miniseries, not a TV show, or it makes the list and bumps Battlestar.
Strongly agree on both bold. I still like Seinfeld and rank it in my top 5 all-time, but it hasn't aged well. It's not one I've tried to introduce to my kids, which I will do w/ other classics.

ADVERTISEMENT