ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball officiating may be over for me.

IUfanBorden

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2011
Team
Indiana
Just got back from Cardiologist. Was having some issues, so they did a few test. One was an echocardiogram. It showed normal function and strength. But one issue: My arota. I have something called Arotic Valve Scelrosis, and Aortic valve regurgitation. It's a thickening of the Arotic valve. In other words, it doesn't open and close properly. Not a big issue, so to speak. Caught early to where medication , as of now, can treat it. But as of now, basketball...is a no. And that sucks ass. I go back in 2 momths; October 11th . If the meds are doing their job, and the arotic valve is showing improvememt, doc said he'd release me to a light schedule. Check again in November.
Man this is a bummer. I was afraid of this. Had a really good schedule this season too, and was starting to make some progress. Spoke with my assigners today, and they said they would wait until my October visit before removing me from schedule. So there is that. But even then, im looking at a light schedule; doc said no more than 2 games a week. So we shall see. Just thought I'd share.

be real careful with that. I had to have my aortic valve replaced in February. Genetic condition and knew it would have to be replaced eventually, but I thought it was good for now. Was playing one of my regular 3x per week hockey skates on New years eve and 10 minutes in I passed out in the middle of the ice. Thankfully I woke up a minute later and got the valve replaced within a few weeks. Open heart procedure, not fun.

Good luck and be careful!

Reactions: NorthJerseyGator
be real careful with that. I had to have my aortic valve replaced in February. Genetic condition and knew it would have to be replaced eventually, but I thought it was good for now. Was playing one of my regular 3x per week hockey skates on New years eve and 10 minutes in I passed out in the middle of the ice. Thankfully I woke up a minute later and got the valve replaced within a few weeks. Open heart procedure, not fun.

Good luck and be careful!
Told me its something they normally.dont find until it becomes stenosis. Which would require replacement surgery. I have mild calcification build up. My doctor said I'm lucky they found this early. I go back tomorrow for a stress test. Medication will start after that.

Just got back from Cardiologist. Was having some issues, so they did a few test. One was an echocardiogram. It showed normal function and strength. But one issue: My arota. I have something called Arotic Valve Scelrosis, and Aortic valve regurgitation. It's a thickening of the Arotic valve. In other words, it doesn't open and close properly. Not a big issue, so to speak. Caught early to where medication , as of now, can treat it. But as of now, basketball...is a no. And that sucks ass. I go back in 2 momths; October 11th . If the meds are doing their job, and the arotic valve is showing improvememt, doc said he'd release me to a light schedule. Check again in November.
Man this is a bummer. I was afraid of this. Had a really good schedule this season too, and was starting to make some progress. Spoke with my assigners today, and they said they would wait until my October visit before removing me from schedule. So there is that. But even then, im looking at a light schedule; doc said no more than 2 games a week. So we shall see. Just thought I'd share.
Man, that sucks. I'm sorry to hear it. I know you would hate to leave that aspect of your life, but better to be healthy and around longer. Besides, maybe it will get better and it won't be an issue for you. I'll definitely keep you in my prayers.

You can always join us UK fans. We're ALL refs!

2911410.gif

Man, that sucks. I'm sorry to hear it. I know you would hate to leave that aspect of your life, but better to be healthy and around longer. Besides, maybe it will get better and it won't be an issue for you. I'll definitely keep you in my prayers.

You can always join us UK fans. We're ALL refs!

2911410.gif
I love it. Live for it. Plus, well, the money's good. Good news is, it shouldn't interfere with baseball. It's a bummer. That's for sure.

Reactions: KYtotheCore
Just think positively. Better to have found out in an office than on the court.
Yep. But see. That's the thing. When asked if I ever had symptoms during basketball, or any type of exertion, I was like, "nope". Docs like...gotta be truthful. I'm like...not once. So I guess that's why he ordered a stress test.
Funny part of the visit...When asking about symptoms, he also said..."not even during sex"? Before I amswered, my wife was lile:
Tread lightly sir. Tread lightly.
Guess she knew a smartass answer was on the way. So insimply answered..."no".

Reactions: KYtotheCore

Damn Borden. Best of luck.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
Yep. But see. That's the thing. When asked if I ever had symptoms during basketball, or any type of exertion, I was like, "nope". Docs like...gotta be truthful. I'm like...not once. So I guess that's why he ordered a stress test.
Funny part of the visit...When asking about symptoms, he also said..."not even during sex"? Before I amswered, my wife was lile:
Tread lightly sir. Tread lightly.
Guess she knew a smartass answer was on the way. So insimply answered..."no".
Should've just asked "whats sex"? Get better soon my man.

You know much about this Hail?? They sent me a read out of my results. I don't understand a god damn word of it. Might as well been in German.

Nah, I do ultrasounds of just about everything aside from the heart. The heart has so much going on in it that heart ultrasound (echo) its’ very own modality.

Nah, I do ultrasounds of just about everything aside from the heart. The heart has so much going on in it that heart ultrasound (echo) its’ very own modality.
Yeah. It was pretty neat. Just thought you might understand some of the lamguage.

Yeah. It was pretty neat. Just thought you might understand some of the lamguage.

I get the language and the anatomy. Don't have much else to offer besides that. I know how you feel, though. My dad had a CT and MRI done of his abdomen and they couldn't figure out what the report was saying, either.

I get the language and the anatomy. Don't have much else to offer besides that. I know how you feel, though. My dad had a CT and MRI done of his abdomen and they couldn't figure out what the report was saying, either.
I mean the doctor told me what's wrong...But then I get the report, and I'm like---huh? Summary says , "strong and normal function". Doctor report says--" Good echo".
But then tell me, oh, your arota kinda of sucks ass. So I'm like...WTF??

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
I hope all turns out well and you’re able to continue reffing college basketball games. As far as the terminology in your report being confusing, I know exactly how you feel because I’ve been spent a huge majority of my life in & out of the hospital and going to doctors appointments due to being born physically disabled and I almost never understand most of the terminology in the reports that they give me unless they explain it in layman’s terms and even then it’s still usually confusing.

Sorry to hear that, brother. Hopefully all works out, but if it doesn’t, this door closing hopefully opens up a new one.

I hope all turns out well and you’re able to continue reffing college basketball games. As far as the terminology in your report being confusing, I know exactly how you feel because I’ve been spent a huge majority of my life in & out of the hospital and going to doctors appointments due to being born physically disabled and I almost never understand most of the terminology in the reports that they give me unless they explain it in layman’s terms and even then it’s still usually confusing.
Yeah it's a headache. My ass has been on WebMd for 300 fvckin hours.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Yeah it's a headache. My ass has been on WebMd for 300 fvckin hours.
I go to Duke and have a mychart account online but I never check it because I know I wouldn’t understand any of the terminology. Whenever I have to get any kind of tests done I figure if the results come back negative then whichever doctor that ordered the tests will call me but if the results come back positive then the doctor won’t call. Basically the no news is good news approach.

I go to Duke and have a mychart account online but I never check it because I know I wouldn’t understand any of the terminology. Whenever I have to get any kind of tests done I figure if the results come back negative then whichever doctor that ordered the tests will call me but if the results come back positive then the doctor won’t call. Basically the no news is good news approach.
I have the same chart. I was called and told what was going on; nothing to serious. But...the results on MyChart said echo was good. Strong function, etc. But then I m told of the aorta issue. That's where I became comfused. I go back tomorrow, and yep---Im gonna ask a ton of questions.

Reactions: DiehardDukeFan4Life
I have the same chart. I was called and told what was going on; nothing to serious. But...the results on MyChart said echo was good. Strong function, etc. But then I m told of the aorta issue. That's where I became comfused. I go back tomorrow, and yep---Im gonna ask a ton of questions.
Hopefully they give you answers that are easy to understand. Sometimes I wonder if doctors even know how to speak in layman’s terms because most of the time when they answer your questions face to face, their answers are in the same type of confusing medical terms that they use in the online charts where they put your results.

Dropping your name in my prayers. Again.... I’m gonna start charging you if this pattern continues.

For real though, good luck brother.

Dropping your name in my prayers. Again.... I’m gonna start charging you if this pattern continues.

For real though, good luck brother.
Man it seems as if it's always something. Frustrating.

Sorry to hear that man: God speed for you Borden.

@IUfanBorden sorry to hear man. I know you like your b-ball!

I just started working in the ER as a Nurse. I think the big thing is preventing it from becoming Aortic Stenosis or any valve issue. The Aorta pumps blood to the body. If the aorta is not getting enough blood flow from the left ventricle through the aortic valve then your body will get insufficient blood flow and can cause you to pass out if it is a partial blockage. Since you are running as a ref your oxygen demand is higher than it would be walking. The blood in your body (hemoglobin) carries the oxygen to the rest of your body.

The echo shows your heart size, wall and function as well as the ejection fraction (the % of blood pumped to the body) I’m guessing yours was normal based off the report you said. However when they did the ultrasound they saw a thickened aortic valve which can lead to complications if not treated. So you may not have had symptoms yet (or noticed it) but it certainly can in the future.

@IUfanBorden sorry to hear man. I know you like your b-ball!

I just started working in the ER as a Nurse. I think the big thing is preventing it from becoming Aortic Stenosis or any valve issue. The Aorta pumps blood to the body. If the aorta is not getting enough blood flow from the left ventricle through the aortic valve then your body will get insufficient blood flow and can cause you to pass out if it is a partial blockage. Since you are running as a ref your oxygen demand is higher than it would be walking. The blood in your body (hemoglobin) carries the oxygen to the rest of your body.

The echo shows your heart size, wall and function as well as the ejection fraction (the % of blood pumped to the body) I’m guessing yours was normal based off the report you said. However when they did the ultrasound they saw a thickened aortic valve which can lead to complications if not treated. So you may not have had symptoms yet (or noticed it) but it certainly can in the future.
My ejection fraction was 62%; Which is above normal. Function and strength were all "within normal limits". My cardiologist said if i didn't officiate, there wouldn't be much worry (with everyday life). But the officiating for now, has to stop.
Thanks for the information.
Edit: And you're correct. The concern is stenosis. Which would require valve replacement. The regurgitation is somewhat normal. Most people have mild leakage of their valve [miyral]. So basically it wouldn't be that serious if not for basketball.

Damn, I'm sincerely sorry for this! Fortunately, it seems like you're in about as good of a situation as you possibly could be with this diagnosis? Another positive to this is, now instead of just spending 17 hours a day on here, now it can be 19.

Actually, scratch that, 18 and a half....because I'm sure you're already on your phone during halftime lol.

One option for you that you might not have thought about is...you could team up with the ref we were talking about who just walks up and down the court. This way, no matter how little you're able to run, you'll still always look like the fastest ref on the court.

Damn, I'm sincerely sorry for this! Fortunately, it seems like you're in about as good of a situation as you possibly could be with this diagnosis? Another positive to this is, now instead of just spending 17 hours a day on here, now it can be 19.

Actually, scratch that, 18 and a half....because I'm sure you're already on your phone during halftime lol.

One option for you that you might not have thought about is...you could team up with the ref we were talking about who just walks up and down the court. This way, no matter how little you're able to run, you'll still always look like the fastest ref on the court.
Last part made me laugh....

Reactions: jace46555
I got heart tests done and they said I had a leaky valve with relapse or something and stennosis on another valve.

Went to a cardiologist and he basically said whoever told me that from the results didn't know what they were talking about and that a valve with a little leakage is perfectly normal and that there was no stennosis. Sent me for a stress test just to be safe and they were like, yeah, there is nothing wrong with you.

Moral of story. It might be nothing. Hope so!

ADVERTISEMENT