ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone still go to a proper Barbershop?

lurkeraspect84

Mar 4, 2014
I've been cutting my own hair for a while, but my oldest friend is a proper barber. Went to visit him during my time in Kentucky a couple of weeks back. Amazing the money he's raking in. I was there for an hour and he had to make at least a hundred.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
I've been cutting my own hair for a while, but my oldest friend is a proper barber. Went to visit him during my time in Kentucky a couple of weeks back. Amazing the money he's raking in. I was there for an hour and he had to make at least a hundred.

I go to a place called the Beautiful Bearded Man. Great place, they treat you with a beer or whiskey each time. Well worth the expense.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84

I’ve been going to keep Sports Clips here because it’s convenient but I’m getting annoyed at having to re-explain what I want done every time. My mom owned a barber shop so she cut my hair for most my live but I’d imagine going to a regular barber shop they’d be better at remembering me.

I go to a barbershop still. Was sick of going to Sport Clips, and the other chains that hire people with no experience. I'm kind of OCD about things though. I hate when one side is faded higher / shorter than the other, hate if I can feel missed-hairs poking up, etc.

I go to the same lady every time, and I don't even have to tell her what to do - she just knows. Perfect every time.

RollLaugh

I"m pretty open, but the "man" would put me off. However, I'm all for a place called "Beautiful(y) bearded".
Bert went there once. Had to call the wife and ask her to bring the credit card and a wig. He hasn't been seen 10 miles from the place since.

I go to a barbershop still. Was sick of going to Sport Clips, and the other chains that hire people with no experience. I'm kind of OCD about things though. I hate when one side is faded higher / shorter than the other, hate if I can feel missed-hairs poking up, etc.

I go to the same lady every time, and I don't even have to tell her what to do - she just knows. Perfect every time.

I’m jealous. I’m calling the barber shop in the town we are moving to when I’m done writing this post.

I’m picky with my hair, too. When I moved for college I tried 3 different places that all shat the bed. I started planning my haircuts around trips back home to the U.P.

Can a woman be a prober barber?

"Barber, I hardly knew her."

I do.

Old school too, only accepts cash - in their defense, there is an ATM outside.

Owned by a husband and wife, both of them cut, and they’re hands down the best chairs in the shop.

Edit: Both diehard UK fans and football season ticket holders too, which makes the small talk easy.

Last edited:
been going to the same old school barbershop for 20 years after also going to that same barbershop 40 years ago when I was a kid. Bunch of Russian barbers. Cash only, the TV either has soccer or hockey on and that's it.

Often a playful chocolate lab is roaming around as well.

Can a woman be a prober barber?

"Barber, I hardly knew her."

She's better than the other dudes at that same barbershop. I had to go to a dif dude for my last cut actually, because she was not working and I needed a cut before the weekend.

Dude was done in like 12 minutes, which kind of irked me. Didn't trim around my ears, barely straight razored my neckline, didn't brush the hair off and no product at the end, and talked shit about non-locals (to CO) the whole time (which I am).

My girl, she takes like 30+ minutes to cut my hair. Super relaxing and she's pretty hot. She'll re-check certain areas multiple times to make sure everything is even, takes like 10 minutes doing just the straight razor, and the cut is exactly the same every single time.

I’m jealous. I’m calling the barber shop in the town we are moving to when I’m done writing this post.

I’m picky with my hair, too. When I moved for college I tried 3 different places that all shat the bed. I started planning my haircuts around trips back home to the U.P.

Do it. Once you find a good one, you'll never go back to Bo Rics, Sport Clips, etc.

It's not even that much more expensive either, at least out here. Great Clips was like $16 for a haircut. My lady is $20, plus tip. For $4 more, I'm getting a good cut each time from the same person who knows my style. Not a revolving door of fresh-out-of-cosmotology school kids that don't really give af and are gone the next time I'm in there.

Do it. Once you find a good one, you'll never go back to Bo Rics, Sport Clips, etc.

It's not even that much more expensive either, at least out here. Great Clips was like $16 for a haircut. My lady is $20, plus tip. For $4 more, I'm getting a good cut each time from the same person who knows my style. Not a revolving door of fresh-out-of-cosmotology school kids that don't really give af and are gone the next time I'm in there.

It really irks me. They don’t care at all. I’ve read employee complaints on Glassdoor and apparently they are pushed to do their exams quick. It shows. I have thick hair so I like it thinned and asking for that with them feels like I’m asking them to fix world hunger.

Reactions: MileHighSpartan
My haircut is pretty simple, but not simple enough that I could pull it off by myself. I cut my own hair in HS, which consisted of putting a #4 in the Wahl clippers and moving it around my whole head, but I've discovered I like a nice fade off of a #1 to a #6 on top, so I let a pro handle the job. Girls at Sports Clips and Supercuts just can't pull this off. Idk what the deal is, but fades seem to blow the minds of girls at chain haircut places. I'm not loyal to one barbershop, though. If there's a barbershop either near home or near work that has decent reviews and decent prices, I'll go there. Most barbershops are the same and most finish with a straight razor, so I'll just pick the most convenient. Though, I did appreciate the barbershop in my college town. They would offer you a free beer when you walked in and there was a barber there who is the only barber I've trusted to cut the top/front of my hair with scissors.

My dad owned his barbershop for over 40 years. I will say he made a lot of money because he was good at what he did. He had clients who lived 2 counties away that would come just to get a haircut. He taught me how to cut and said if you couldn’t cut with your left hand (he’s right handed) you wouldn’t be a good barber.

Have been shaving my head since HS. Do it every 6-10 weeks and repeat. Did go to a barber shop for my wedding , more to help my brother get a proper haircut so he didn't look too much like a bum. They just opened a barber shop/cigar lounge down the street from me.

I have never been to a proper barber. The only time I had to pay for haircuts was in basic training. Even then, my head was already shaved, but they still made me sit my ass in the chair and go through the motions... even though not a single hair was cut, and still had to pay for it.

Any gheys guys here go to a salon?
giphy.gif

Same barber for 33 years. He knows I want a bald cut and eyebrow trim (bushy eyebrows irk me). I figured I have paid him over 14000 dollars over the course of 33 years
Never trimmed my eyebrows for 30+ years, then some broad who was cutting my hair took it upon herself to trim them without asking.... have to trim them at least once a month now. ****ing ****.

Never trimmed my eyebrows for 30+ years, then some broad who was cutting my hair took it upon herself to trim them without asking.... have to trim them at least once a month now. ****ing ****.
Kind of but not really related. My wife put lotion on my elbow. The very first time with lotion and now that elbow is dry and been that way since she ****ed it up.

Lotion and Chapstick is a racket.

Reactions: tw3301
I'd go anywhere that can pull this off. Evidently it's in. The kids call it "Rad", and "totally tubular". Thing of beauty I tell ya. Guess I better start the grow out now. Admit it . . . you chubbed up a little when you saw it, didn't you? See!?

9-bad-hairstyles-for-men-do-not-make-these-hair-mistakes-c2b7-mhd-inside-bad-haircuts-for-men-1.jpg

Last edited:
Kind of but not really related. My wife put lotion on my elbow. The very first time with lotion and now that elbow is dry and been that way since she ****ed it up.

Lotion and Chapstick is a racket.
The key to fixing that is to just rub salt everywhere. That way nothing ever stands out as "dry". Same consistency everywhere. You don't hear any women bitching about this guy's elbow do you?

530782408f8e0.jpeg

The key to fixing that is to just rub salt everywhere. That way nothing ever stands out as "dry". Same consistency everywhere. You don't hear any women bitching about this guy's elbow do you?

530782408f8e0.jpeg
I'm telling you man, mine's worse and it's all her fault.

I'm so white ashy doesn't show up.

Will try the salt.

Dang!!! Why don't you just do it yourself? That's what I do.
Because I have a major problem with ingrown hairs. When I first saw my barber, he told me he could end my razor bumps in 6 weeks. The last one was gone in week 4. Been with him ever since. He will turn 80 in August and I’m going to DIM when he hangs up his razor. The conversation is worth the double sawbuck I pay him!

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
ADVERTISEMENT