#8 Kansas
#9 Texas Tech
#13 Illinois
#16 Ohio State
#17 Michigan State
#25 Xavier

Last edited:
Top 25 has always been goofy.

We lose to a team we beat 2 weeks ago then lose again in triple overtime and drop 9 spots. Weird.

• Haha
Reactions: ZIPITYDUDA
Imagine that kind of parody in College Football.
It's why I'll always prefer college basketball to college football. So much fun night in and night out.
Part of me loves it but part of me hates it. The best team usually wins the title in CFB, and that only happens MAYBE 50 percent of the time in CBB.

I also think there is a lot more movement in the basketball rankings simply because there are 30 plus games played each season as opposed to 12.

Reactions: nrmorgan2001
Part of me loves it but part of me hates it. The best team usually wins the title in CFB, and that only happens MAYBE 50 percent of the time in CBB.

I also think there is a lot more movement in the basketball rankings simply because there are 30 plus games played each season as opposed to 12.
I'm sure the IU fans will chime in and talk about banners but one of the reasons I don't get so hung up on the tournament is because the truly best teams are the ones that are consistently great over a 30+ regular season; not necessarily the ones who win 6 games in a single elimination tournament.

I want a championship bad but I'm not going to declare the season a failure if Purdue bows out in the Elite Eight.

Losers already this week:

#1 Auburn
#6 Houston
#7 Duke
#8 Kansas
#9 Texas Tech
#13 Illinois
#16 Ohio State
#17 Michigan State
#25 Xavier
#18 Marquette and #22 St Marys also lost.

Looks like only Illinois and MSU lost to opponents ranked higher than themselves. Either way that is quite a lot of top 25 loses.

I'm sure the IU fans will chime in and talk about banners but one of the reasons I don't get so hung up on the tournament is because the truly best teams are the ones that are consistently great over a 30+ regular season; not necessarily the ones who win 6 games in a single elimination tournament.

I want a championship bad but I'm not going to declare the season a failure if Purdue bows out in the Elite Eight.
This is why I hate all-time rankings that value one or two years’ Tournament runs too heavily. Sorry, but IU is not a better program than KU because KU has lost that final game a few too many times, and the gap is not close. San Francisco is not a better program than Illinois because they won 2 titles decades ago while Illinois had three years they were good enough to win it all and finished just short.

It’s obviously going to “be about the National Championship” each year, but this type of thinking leads to someone thinking Florida has been a better program than Michigan State since 2000, and that’s just ridiculous. Regular season consistency is a huge part of a program’s prestige.

This is why I hate all-time rankings that value one or two years’ Tournament runs too heavily. Sorry, but IU is not a better program than KU because KU has lost that final game a few too many times, and the gap is not close. San Francisco is not a better program than Illinois because they won 2 titles decades ago while Illinois had three years they were good enough to win it all and finished just short.

It’s obviously going to “be about the National Championship” each year, but this type of thinking leads to someone thinking Florida has been a better program than Michigan State since 2000, and that’s just ridiculous. Regular season consistency is a huge part of a program’s prestige.
The difference between Indiana and KU in titles is literally one free throw in 1953.

• Haha
Reactions: IUBtown

It's the hardest championship in all of sports to win. So many years the best team didn't win the Championship. Duke lucked into at least two Championships because of the setup.

Still love the tournament and there is nothing more fun than the opening two rounds of March Madness.

On the flip side, the divide would be larger if Memphis didn't miss a few.
True, but their FT% was 329th in the country. There's a reason that Self started fouling with over 2 min left. In the end, they actually shot above their average at the line.

In 2003, KU was 12-30 from the line vs Syracuse. 25% lower than their norm. Now that's something that shouldn't have happened.

Reactions: HawksJ
True, but their FT% was 329th in the country. There's a reason that Self started fouling with over 2 min left. In the end, they actually shot above their average at the line.

In 2003, KU was 12-30 from the line vs Syracuse. 25% lower than their norm. Now that's something that shouldn't have happened.
True, but CDR was a 71% FT shooter and was 1-5 in the last minute plus, including 2 with 16 seconds left and Memphis up 2. And then, Derrick Rose, also a 71% FT shooter, missed the front end six seconds later.

It's pretty crazy that those guys missed 3 FT's in the final 16 seconds.

Reactions: duckboy33
Well if 95% of your self-worth is tied up in your fandom like it is for many IU fans, what else do you have to lean on other than Dusty Banners. BTW, I always thought that would a great stripper name.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Well if 95% of your self-worth is tied up in your fandom like it is for many IU fans, what else do you have to lean on other than Dusty Banners. BTW, I always thought that would a great stripper name.
"Dusty Banners" would be an epic parody username.

True, but CDR was a 71% FT shooter and was 1-5 in the last minute plus, including 2 with 16 seconds left and Memphis up 2. And then, Derrick Rose, also a 71% FT shooter, missed the front end six seconds later.

It's pretty crazy that those guys missed 3 FT's in the final 16 seconds.
Douglas Roberts definitely blew it, but there was a lot of pressure. He didn't quite go full Collison though.

I'm still not over KU blowing that game vs Syracuse. The run to get there was classic.

Douglas Roberts definitely blew it, but there was a lot of pressure. He didn't quite go full Collison though.

I'm still not over KU blowing that game vs Syracuse. The run to get there was classic.
I couldn't imagine stepping up to the free throw line in that situation.

Hell, I get a bit nervous standing on the first tee when the group behind us is waiting.

Imagine that kind of parody in College Football.
Would be nice. I love college football but it will always be 2nd to hoops until they get some parody. Tired of seeing the same asshats at the top all the time.

The only reason that's true is because the best teams get all of the talent. There really is no parady at all in CFB
True, but again parody is much better in CBB.

Reactions: shields
The only reason that's true is because the best teams get all of the talent. There really is no parady at all in CFB

True, but again parody is much better in CBB.
/parity

The difference between “the best team winning it all” in cfb vs. cbb is not about talent distribution, but about the nature of the game.

One dude getting hot can easily win a cbb game between dramatically lopsided teams . That doesn’t happen in cfb.

Which is why people talking about the NCAA Tournament as a reason for ‘the more teams the better’ cfb playoff aren’t rational.

/parity

The difference between “the best team winning it all” in cfb vs. cbb is not about talent distribution, but about the nature of the game.

One dude getting hot can easily win a cbb game between dramatically lopsided teams . That doesn’t happen in cfb.

Which is why people talking about the NCAA Tournament as a reason for ‘the more teams the better’ cfb playoff aren’t rational.
Yes there is a lot of truth to that too. Very good example was tonights game of Purdue vs Michigan. Purdue a top offensive team couldn't hit the ocean tonight, and Michigan, a team that shoots 34% from 3 on the season hits for 60% in this game.

Reactions: HawksJ
Yes there is a lot of truth to that too. Very good example was tonights game of Purdue vs Michigan. Purdue a top offensive team couldn't hit the ocean tonight, and Michigan, a team that shoots 34% from 3 on the season hits for 60% in this game.
It doesn’t help that Purdue’s defense is Swiss cheese. It was basically an empty gym out there for Michigan’s shooters.

It doesn’t help that Purdue’s defense is Swiss cheese. It was basically an empty gym out there for Michigan’s shooters.
Tonight was especially bad. They actually played really well vs Illinois on D. Not great, but light years better than tonight. Not only that, but we usually outrebound teams and between rebounding and turnovers, Michigan had 16 more shot attempts than Purdue. So when one team gets 16 more attempts and almost doubles their shooting % and the other shoots almost half their shooting %, that's the difference in the game.

Very abnormal for a Painter team..
It's been very frustrating watching this team on D this year. Especially with how good we are on O. If our D was anywhere close to typical Painter teams we'd be the favorite to win it all.

Purdue fell to 10 on Kenpom, and their D dropped to 126. Ouch.
Yeah, I don't know if we're that bad. We've had teams we have played that are really good that were without players or didn't play well for a good part of the season that are playing well now. Skews the stats a bit.

It's been very frustrating watching this team on D this year. Especially with how good we are on O. If our D was anywhere close to typical Painter teams we'd be the favorite to win it all.
Agree....And more than just a favorite, but probably a HUGE favorite.

Reactions: Boilermaker03
Yeah, I don't know if we're that bad. We've had teams we have played that are really good that were without players or didn't play well for a good part of the season that are playing well now. Skews the stats a bit.
Yeah, I'm not sold they are that bad(dfensively)...In years past, Purdue could survive a night like tonight(shooting),, foul trouble, etc, etc..or at least give themselves a shot, b/c of their defense. But this year---not so much. Its the ONLY thing that concerns with me PU, and a deep run, i.e. Elite 8/FF.

Offensively of course they are mre than good enough....Just need to tighten things up defensively...

Yes, Purdue is an example of a team that could absolutely win the national championship or lose to an 8th-seed.

That scenario would never happen in football…ever.

Reactions: Boilermaker03
Yeah, I'm not sold they are that bad(dfensively)...In years past, Purdue could survive a night like tonight(shooting),, foul trouble, etc, etc..or at least give themselves a shot, b/c of their defense. But this year---not so much. Its the ONLY thing that concerns with me PU, and a deep run, i.e. Elite 8/FF.

Offensively of course they are mre than good enough....Just need to tighten things up defensively...
Agree 100%. I just don't know if they are going to get much better this late in the season...

Reactions: IUfanBorden
/parity

I mean I don’t think anyone wants to see a 64 team football field, but teams absolutely do play different week to week in football.

SEC Championship game:
Alabama 41
Georgia 24

NC game
Alabama 18
Georgia 33

I think those two make the finals in any scenario, but it’s not crazy to think a top 10 team could play a great game and upset a top 2 team to shake up the NCG game.

Losers already this week:

#1 Auburn
#6 Houston
#7 Duke
#8 Kansas
#9 Texas Tech
#13 Illinois
#16 Ohio State
#17 Michigan State
#25 Xavier
I feel like we need to add at least one more team to this.'

:(

I've missed all of it. I'm all in on the Olympics and have no time for literally anythign else. Get up, go to work all day, come home and try and squeeze in 12 hours of DVR Olympic coverage from 6pm till 10:30 when i go to bed.

I'm two days behind on the Olympics as it is and living off the grid. Haven't looked at any news site in over a week so I don't get results spoiled.

ADVERTISEMENT