ADVERTISEMENT

ACC Thread

Kevin Keats getting a double tech ejection before the under 4 media timeout in the first half sure didn’t help State. 4 FTs and the ball for Wake.

Second tech was weak but still, can’t be that far out on the court. You killed your team.
It might have helped them.

Reactions: UNC71-00
Kevin Keats getting a double tech ejection before the under 4 media timeout in the first half sure didn’t help State. 4 FTs and the ball for Wake.

Second tech was weak but still, can’t be that far out on the court. You killed your team.

It doesn’t matter. The key to job security at NC State is acknowledging and appeasing the lunatics. They make up the majority of the fanbase.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
IMG-6619.png

Stay classy state.

The Capels have been a part of more failed/disappointing basketball teams than any other family in ACC history

#truestory
He just rolls the balls out and lets them play. No direction, no identity. Last year it worked because he had four shooters.

This year is a disaster with two highly recruited freshman guards

I like State by a smidge but should be a good game.

If FSU can get Miami into a track meet, I could see it wearing down the Canes who have limited depth. That said, I really would have liked to have played them without Wooga Poplar lol.

State pulled away late. Wasn't sure if they were going to close the gap for a while.

Miami got crushed against Colorado and Kentucky. But, I'd say limited depth caused that, as it seemed like both games were competitive in the first half and things just fell apart in the 2nd half. Kyshawn George has played well lately, though. Almost like a 6th starter for the Canes. Should be a good one tonight.

The Capels have been a part of more failed/disappointing basketball teams than any other family in ACC history

#truestory

Between '95 Duke and '02 UNC, I'd say that's fair. Crazy that they were both leaders on historically bad Duke/Carolina teams.

Also of note, I was trying really hard to track down a Georgia Tech-UNC game from 2000 where UNC played on the road against Georgia Tech. I could have sworn for the life of me that Jason Capel punched Jason Collier in the neck. I want to say he was ejected. But, guess what? I can't track down the film. I contacted Georgia Tech athletics. They don't have it. I had a back-and-forth with several folks from Raycom. Several email threads and a couple of phone calls. They even asked me, "why do you want this game?" I had to mention I was a basketball junkie and I watch hours and hours of basketball every week. The really reason, is I wanted to capture the punch, if that's what it was. Well, they looked in their archives and couldn't find it. Sad that many games are essentially erased from history.

Last edited:
State pulled away late. Wasn't sure if they were going to close the gap for a while.

Miami got crushed against Colorado and Kentucky. But, I'd say limited depth caused that, as it seemed like both games were competitive in the first half and things just fell apart in the 2nd half. Kyshawn George has played well lately, though. Almost like a 6th starter for the Canes. Should be a good one tonight.

Between '95 Duke and '02 UNC, I'd say that's fair. Crazy that they were both leaders on historically bad Duke/Carolina teams.

Also of note, I was trying really hard to track down a Georgia Tech-UNC game from 2000 where UNC played on the road against Georgia Tech. I could have sworn for the life of me that Jason Capel punched Jason Collier in the neck. I want to say he was ejected. But, guess what? I can't track down the film. I contacted Georgia Tech athletics. They don't have it. I had a back-and-forth with several folks from Raycom. Several email threads and a couple of phone calls. They even asked me, "why do you want this game?" I had to mention I was a basketball junkie and I watch hours and hours of basketball every week. The really reason, is I wanted to capture the punch, if that's what it was. Well, they looked in their archives and couldn't find it. Sad that many games are essentially erased from history.
Too bad it wasn’t a Kentucky game. You could have just asked @Bert Higginbotha

How about Naithan George? This kid is quickly blossoming into a star. Has had back-to-back huge performances against Duke and Clemson... Clemson losing isn't good for the league, of course. Beating them at home is now no longer a Q1 win. Georgia Tech is a sub-100 team, but I'm telling you, that team can play.

It'll be interesting to see if Naithan George can continue to play at this high level. Just a freshmen, so many more good games to come, I'd imagine.

Reactions: TKBray

Wow, I respect this effort! And yes, it is sad how many great performances we can never see again. A lot weren’t even on TV.

Reactions: dukedevilz
How about Naithan George? This kid is quickly blossoming into a star. Has had back-to-back huge performances against Duke and Clemson... Clemson losing isn't good for the league, of course. Beating them at home is now no longer a Q1 win. Georgia Tech is a sub-100 team, but I'm telling you, that team can play.

It'll be interesting to see if Naithan George can continue to play at this high level. Just a freshmen, so many more good games to come, I'd imagine.

I saw GT courtside in Tally. They looked like they had some talent, but man the effort sure was inconsistent. Damon Staudemire was pretty passionate about it in the post game.

I saw GT courtside in Tally. They looked like they had some talent, but man the effort sure was inconsistent. Damon Staudemire was pretty passionate about it in the post game.

And that inconsistency is going to mean more losses for them. But, the talent is there. I could see them being a double-digit seed in the ACC Tournament and making the semifinals.

Next year could be promising for them if they bring back Kowacie Reeves, Naithan George, and Baye Ndongo. Also have Lance Terry, who should be back from an injury. Should be in the upper-half of the league, with the chance to make the NCAAs.

Reactions: GE Nole

I do not remember that punch. Want me to ask the home bored?

I do not remember that punch. Want me to ask the home bored?

Sure. It's possible I'm not remembering it exactly right. Maybe it was just an elbow. It seemed like nothing was called. I remember them showing it on replay and the announcers (maybe Dan Bonner?) saying he should be kicked out.

I've read some recaps of the game (which I believe was played in January 2000 at Alexander Coliseum), and nothing was mentioned about that incident. So, who knows? People didn't capture as much information then as we do now. So, it may just be something that's lost in history.

Sure. It's possible I'm not remembering it exactly right. Maybe it was just an elbow. It seemed like nothing was called. I remember them showing it on replay and the announcers (maybe Dan Bonner?) saying he should be kicked out.

I've read some recaps of the game (which I believe was played in January 2000 at Alexander Coliseum), and nothing was mentioned about that incident. So, who knows? People didn't capture as much information then as we do now. So, it may just be something that's lost in history.

In fairness, most everything Dan Bonner says should be lost in history.

George looks legit and I think GT has something in Stoudamire. Looks for now to potentially be a really good hire. They are a team that could get smoked one game and lay it on a good team the next.

FSU executed the script to perfection and simply out-bodied Miami. Noles had more guys score than Miami had play in the game.

As good as Jim L has been down in Miami, Hamilton has just had a mastery over him. That’s 6 straight wins for FSU in Coral Gables, and I believe 13 out of the last 15 against UM.

FSU is now 5-1 in league play.

FSU executed the script to perfection and simply out-bodied Miami. Noles had more guys score than Miami had play in the game.

As good as Jim L has been down in Miami, Hamilton has just had a mastery over him. That’s 6 straight wins for FSU in Coral Gables, and I believe 13 out of the last 15 against UM.

FSU is now 5-1 in league play.

Yeah, Hamilton is just owning Coach L.

Tonight's game was just hard to watch as a Miami fan. The lack of size is just too much to overcome. That's the biggest issue. FSU absolutely owned the paint, they made it look too easy to score for most of the night. Felt like FSU had 4 bigs to run at Omier all game. They could get physical with him and wear him down and it showed with him on the offensive end as well. He missed some putbacks/finishes that he just left a little short, he had a terrible night from the free throw line. He's just being asked to do too much, game in and game out.

Aside from the obvious lack of size and basically no quality depth, the team is just too flawed in other key areas. They don't move the ball well at all on offense. If they're not hot from outside or getting out quickly in transition, it's a real struggle on offense. The guards are small so they don't really look to attack the paint much. Wooga, for as talented of a shooter as he is, he really can't handle the ball very well and even he can't really get to the rim consistently.

For a team that is undersized and plays mostly guards & wings, they are way too loose with the ball and commit too many turnovers. And they're just bad defensively, period. No rim protection so teams get whatever they want and the guards don't defend well on the perimeter either. I'm just gonna have to continue to reminisce about the two runs they went on last season bc this one is not going to be very enjoyable lol.

Your Noles look legit though @GE Nole. So much length on the team, they're balanced in a lot of areas. I hadn't watched FSU much this season but I was impressed. I loved the strategy by Hamilton to play full court defense all game to take advantage of the huge advantage you guys had in depth. It was smart to Miami's guards expend more energy and the toll it would take on their legs by the end of the game.

Yeah, Hamilton is just owning Coach L.

Tonight's game was just hard to watch as a Miami fan. The lack of size is just too much to overcome. That's the biggest issue. FSU absolutely owned the paint, they made it look too easy to score for most of the night. Felt like FSU had 4 bigs to run at Omier all game. They could get physical with him and wear him down and it showed with him on the offensive end as well. He missed some putbacks/finishes that he just left a little short, he had a terrible night from the free throw line. He's just being asked to do too much, game in and game out.

Aside from the obvious lack of size and basically no quality depth, the team is just too flawed in other key areas. They don't move the ball well at all on offense. If they're not hot from outside or getting out quickly in transition, it's a real struggle on offense. The guards are small so they don't really look to attack the paint much. Wooga, for as talented of a shooter as he is, he really can't handle the ball very well and even he can't really get to the rim consistently.

For a team that is undersized and plays mostly guards & wings, they are way too loose with the ball and commit too many turnovers. And they're just bad defensively, period. No rim protection so teams get whatever they want and the guards don't defend well on the perimeter either. I'm just gonna have to continue to reminisce about the two runs they went on last season bc this one is not going to be very enjoyable lol.

Your Noles look legit though @GE Nole. So much length on the team, they're balanced in a lot of areas. I hadn't watched FSU much this season but I was impressed. I loved the strategy by Hamilton to play full court defense all game to take advantage of the huge advantage you guys had in depth. It was smart to Miami's guards expend more energy and the toll it would take on their legs by the end of the game.

Great post. You should hop in here more often, it’s a good group!

FSU has been playing like an NCAAT team for a couple weeks now. Unfortunately, we spent December playing like bad mid major.

A lot of it has to do with injuries. Gainey wasn’t healthy for the first month, Corhen missed almost a month, Fletcher is out for season, and Spears was ineligible. We lost double digit leads against UNC and UGA in December, and then totally no showed against USF and Lipscomb.

So despite clearly looking like a team capable of winning in March, we still have a lot of work to do just to even make it.

Great post. You should hop in here more often, it’s a good group!

FSU has been playing like an NCAAT team for a couple weeks now. Unfortunately, we spent December playing like bad mid major.

A lot of it has to do with injuries. Gainey wasn’t healthy for the first month, Corhen missed almost a month, Fletcher is out for season, and Spears was ineligible. We lost double digit leads against UNC and UGA in December, and then totally no showed against USF and Lipscomb.

So despite clearly looking like a team capable of winning in March, we still have a lot of work to do just to even make it.

Yeah that's tough to have to dig out of a hole but there's still a lot of season left and you guys are definitely on an upward trajectory. FSU looks like the clear leader of the "rest of the ACC" behind UNC & Duke imo, and I think they're good enough to challenge both of them.

I knew you guys were missing some key players for various reasons but wasn't sure who and how many. Well, they're rolling now lol. I like Spears a lot. He was giving both Pack and Joseph the business. I think Joseph swatted his first shot out of bounds and that's about the only success they had defending him lol. He does a great job at getting to his spots and getting good looks.

They couldn't do anything with Baba Miller either. Felt like he rebounded damn near every one of the shots he missed. Just toying with Miami's players down low.

Yeah that's tough to have to dig out of a hole but there's still a lot of season left and you guys are definitely on an upward trajectory. FSU looks like the clear leader of the "rest of the ACC" behind UNC & Duke imo, and I think they're good enough to challenge both of them.

I knew you guys were missing some key players for various reasons but wasn't sure who and how many. Well, they're rolling now lol. I like Spears a lot. He was giving both Pack and Joseph the business. I think Joseph swatted his first shot out of bounds and that's about the only success they had defending him lol. He does a great job at getting to his spots and getting good looks.

They couldn't do anything with Baba Miller either. Felt like he rebounded damn near every one of the shots he missed. Just toying with Miami's players down low.

Baba has made massive improvements over the last 6 weeks. Last year he never seemed to find his footing after the half year suspension by the NCAA. And this year it was like he was hesitant and overthinking. But something clicked a month ago.

I was talking to him after either the GT or Wake win and he was like “I get why they are asking me to do certain things now. I understand the American game now.” He’s been so much better defensively since then.

Baba has made massive improvements over the last 6 weeks. Last year he never seemed to find his footing after the half year suspension by the NCAA. And this year it was like he was hesitant and overthinking. But something clicked a month ago.

I was talking to him after either the GT or Wake win and he was like “I get why they are asking me to do certain things now. I understand the American game now.” He’s been so much better defensively since then.

That's dope. I'm really interested to see how he develops. He has a chance to be a great player.

That's dope. I'm really interested to see how he develops. He has a chance to be a great player.

I think Wooga will be the highest NBA pick from either team. Great size and every NBA team needs a shooter like him.

But Baba’s size and skill set should certainly be intriguing for some teams. I’m not sure he has the lateral quickness or physicality for the NBA, but he’s still only 20 I guess.

Personally, I’d draft Watkins in the second round. Seems like he could be a very versatile rotation player for someone.

It’s kind of crazy that Hamilton plays Larrenga that well. I think of Jim as a much better coach than Ham

It’s kind of crazy that Hamilton plays Larrenga that well. I think of Jim as a much better coach than Ham

Why? Not trying to be a homer, just genuinely curious. Their career accomplishments are pretty similar. And Ham took over worse situations at Miami and FSU than Jim did, and built both up to be good enough to win the Big East and ACC respectively.

I know Jim has two Final Fours, but Ham was a couple points short of a Final Four one year and then had a national championship caliber team miss the chance at the tourney because of Covid.

To me they are extremely similar. Aside from the head to head record.

Why? Not trying to be a homer, just genuinely curious. Their career accomplishments are pretty similar. And Ham took over worse situations at Miami and FSU than Jim did, and built both up to be good enough to win the Big East and ACC respectively.

I know Jim has two Final Fours, but Ham was a couple points short of a Final Four one year and then had a national championship caliber team miss the chance at the tourney because of Covid.

To me they are extremely similar. Aside from the head to head record.

I am no doubt biased by the way each coaches against Carolina.

Baba is finally showing some of that potential. I could see him being drafted this year.

And how about that dunk by Jamir Watkins?

FSU is finally picking up steam. Not sure any would have predicted this 5-1 ACC start after they dropped games to South Florida and Lipscomb just last month.

I am no doubt biased by the way each coaches against Carolina.

Okay fair enough. So what does that mean? UNC loses to Miami a lot? I’m genuinely asking.

It looks like FSU is 4-6 against UNC going back to 2018. (I didn’t realize how many years we seem to just play one time). I’m sure the the gap would widen a little if I went back a couple more years because FSU had some lean years in the 2013-2016 time frame. But I do recall beating UNC twice in 2012, once in a great ACC Championship game.

Is Jim beating UNC a lot more than that?

Baba is finally showing some of that potential. I could see him being drafted this year.

And how about that dunk by Jamir Watkins?

FSU is finally picking up steam. Not sure any would have predicted this 5-1 ACC start after they dropped games to South Florida and Lipscomb just last month.

Yeah it’s been a nice turnaround. Getting healthy helped. But to be candid—and I hate saying this—FSU gave F effort against USF and Lipscomb. Easily two of the worst efforts I’ve seen in the 20 years Ham has been there. It’s one thing to have injuries but quite another to just quit.

FSU quit against USF. And they no showed the first 30 min against Lipscomb. Got down by like 20. Then FINALLY a player stepped up and called people out with 10 min to go and they started trying. Nearly came back and won, but fell just short. And then have won 5 straight since.

It’s gonna be sad when they are one of the first four out all because they didn’t give effort against Lipscomb.

It’s gonna be sad when they are one of the first four out all because they didn’t give effort against Lipscomb.

Would be very sad, especially if FSU has top 50 talent, which I believe they do. Multiple Quad 3 losses can be a killer for a resume. Margin for error is pretty thin now. You all definitely have a lot of work to do before being on the right side of the bubble.

You have 5 Quad 1 games left, not counting the ACC Tournament. 3 more Q1 wins would put FSU at 5-4 in Q1 games, which might be enough to compensate for the bad losses. But, you also need to avoid anymore bad losses. Winning 2 of the next 3 against Clemson, Syracuse, and UNC would be huge.

Would be very sad, especially if FSU has top 50 talent, which I believe they do. Multiple Quad 3 losses can be a killer for a resume. Margin for error is pretty thin now. You all definitely have a lot of work to do before being on the right side of the bubble.

You have 5 Quad 1 games left, not counting the ACC Tournament. 3 more Q1 wins would put FSU at 5-4 in Q1 games, which might be enough to compensate for the bad losses. But, you also need to avoid anymore bad losses. Winning 2 of the next 3 against Clemson, Syracuse, and UNC would be huge.

That’s the problem with the ACC. Just not a ton of chances to get needle moving wins.

The Big 12 collectively (and I believe it was coordinated) manipulated the NET perfectly. And now almost every league game is Quad 1/2. Whereas the ACC almost did the opposite. Most schools, FSU included, did a horrible job of scheduling for the NET.

#truestory

1994 unexpected Final Four with Duke.

Unexpected Final Four in 2000 with UNC.

They had sone success...lol

ADVERTISEMENT