ADVERTISEMENT

7 teams…

Wi th the way auburn looked against both misssouri and Georgia (both terrible teams), it’s safe to take them off this list.
I’d be shocked if they make it past the sweet sixteen

Reactions: JC for 3
Backcourt depth is a major concern. Their starting 5 is still really talented. And like most Houston teams, they can rebound and defend. But yeah, I'm going to have a hard time seeing them go beyond the Sweet 16 this year.
I like 'em tons. So I'm not just saying mid-major or whatever. No doubt they are a pain in the ass if you draw them it's gonna be hella annoying. I just think they hit a drought at the 5 min mark vs the wrong team.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Alabama is firmly in the field. Not on the bubble. We also played at St. Louis who I expect will be in the field. We also beat Loyola in a neutral site who will be in the field. Auburn plays at arky, at Tennessee, at Florida, and miss st. Over the next few weeks. All those teams are in tourney or the bubble.
By far the most soft SEC schedule. Auburn is a wuss.

I see 6 true national title contenders this year.

Gonzaga
Duke
Kentucky
Arizona
UCLA
Illinois

Purdue's defense isn't good enough which is a death knell in the tournament, I don't see them overcoming a bad shooting night to a top 15 team.

Auburn's guards are tiny (KD is 6"0 and Green is 5"11) and their decision making is suspect. They seem to play out of control at times, especially on the road.

Baylor is coming back down to earth, guard play isn't good enough to carry them in March.

Houston doesn't have enough depth and the loss of Sasser is big.

Gonzaga
Duke
Kentucky
Arizona
UCLA
Illinois

Purdue's defense isn't good enough which is a death knell in the tournament, I don't see them overcoming a bad shooting night to a top 15 team.

Auburn's guards are tiny (KD is 6"0 and Green is 5"11) and their decision making is suspect. They seem to play out of control at times, especially on the road.

Baylor is coming back down to earth, guard play isn't good enough to carry them in March.

LOL

Gonzaga
Duke
Kentucky
Arizona
UCLA
Illinois

Purdue doesn’t rely on jump shooting to win games. They have two of the most efficient centers in the country, plus an electric lead guard who can get to the rim at will. Purdue is not a live and die by the 3 type of team. Purdue shot it bad from 3 against Michigan on Saturday, but they got to the rim at will. They also draw a ton of fouls. They are definitely in the conversation.

Reactions: Boilermaker03

Gonzaga
Duke
Kentucky
Arizona
UCLA
Illinois

If having small guards is a deal breaker, then you might want to rethink Illinois. Two starting guards are very small. Can shoot the lights out though.

Gonzaga
Duke
Kentucky
Arizona
UCLA
Illinois

No Kansas even in your honorable mention?

If I remember right, there have been a number of teams that didn't meet this criteria until after the tourney. Winning 6 games against the best tends to have a pretty dramatic impact on your numbers.

I don't think fans whose teams are a few slots away in the middle of league play should abandon all hope quite yet.

If I remember right, there have been a number of teams that didn't meet this criteria until after the tourney. Winning 6 games against the best tends to have a pretty dramatic impact on your numbers.

I don't think fans whose teams are a few slots away in the middle of league play should abandon all hope quite yet.
Yeah, it’s a lazy narrative that the national media has grabbed ahold of. Several champions didn’t meet that until after the tourney.

Purdue doesn’t rely on jump shooting to win games. They have two of the most efficient centers in the country, plus an electric lead guard who can get to the rim at will. Purdue is not a live and die by the 3 type of team. Purdue shot it bad from 3 against Michigan on Saturday, but they got to the rim at will. They also draw a ton of fouls. They are definitely in the conversation.
Yeah, if you could be a little more well-rounded on offense, I might consider Purdue a title contender. Your miscellaneous scoring is pitiful.

B0-CB12-DF-4-D00-4-BAF-A3-C3-075-FC65-A7-F63.jpg

Obviously nowhere near the level of last year's team. But, they're still pretty darn solid. One thing to keep in mind, is the fact that Baylor is still undefeated with a full supporting cast. Either LJ Cryer or Jeremy Sochan was missing in each of their 4 losses.

The biggest LOL I see in Kenpom is SD St is holding the #1 D and #230 O. I guess if you draw them you are in a literal rock fight.

They're fun and hard to watch at the same time. They cover ground so freaking well on the defensive end. Seems like they're playing with 6 guys. Mostly a train wreck on offense. I remember watching parts of the Boise State game. With less than one minute in the game, both teams had less than 40 points. Kind of wild.

My ff picks are purdue, zags, uk, and auburn(unless they continue to play like the last week)
I mean we beat Alabama last Tuesday by 19. Saturday you are right though. I feel like auburn will play well against Arkansas tonight. They don’t have size and I feel we will match up well with them

Gonzaga
Duke
Kentucky
Arizona
UCLA
Illinois

I argue with AuHoosier, but Auburn is the real deal. They have to be seen as a the number 1 or number 2 One seed.

The SEC is a grind and there are 6 or 7 good teams. The only gripe from me is Auburn's SEC schedule is easy. They play few tough road games. But in their defense they don't make the conference schedule, it is the SEC office.

I agree you're not one dimensional on offense. Its just we've never seen such a poor defense win it all in March so I was just going based on history.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
I argue with AuHoosier, but Auburn is the real deal. They have to be seen as a the number 1 or number 2 One seed.

The SEC is a grind and there are 6 or 7 good teams. The only gripe from me is Auburn's SEC schedule is easy. They play few tough road games. But in their defense they don't make the conference schedule, it is the SEC office.
They're very good, but they've also had a very easy schedule. I'd be interested to know how good they really are and whether or not they're flying high with confidence right now and playing above their ability due to the schedule. It's not unusual to see a team look great and play at a high level until they get hit a rough patch in the schedule and lose a couple of games and come back down to earth a bit. Take ISU for instance. Obviously not on the same plane as Auburn, but they played a very easy schedule until they hit the Big XII schedule. They were playing very well, and as the season went on, they were playing better and better. Shots were dropping, they were playing with confidence, etc. Then they had to play a lot of good teams, back to back to back to back, and inevitably lost a few. But they still took the best teams down to the wire and lost close games and won a few big games. But that team right now is not very good. A few weeks ago, I'd have placed money on them to take a top 10 team to the wire and have a chance to win it. Right now I expect them to lose that game by 10+. They've come back down to earth and are now playing at a level you would expect of their talent.

Obviously Auburn is on a much higher level than ISU, but I do wonder to what effect they are benefiting from the easier schedule and whether they're playing above their talent level right now. I'd be interested to see what happens to them if they get smacked in the mouth a few times.

Real question here. How does the SEC decide on its scheduling? I assume you rotate

Real question here. How does the SEC decide on its scheduling? I assume you rotate
The SEC office does it. The schools take what is given.

This unbalanced schedule drives me crazy. You have 14 teams in the SEC. They divide them up East/West and rotate; except they really don't rotate or divide them up.

This year Kentucky plays:

Mizz at home
LSU at LSU
UGA at home
Vandy at Vandy
UT at home
TA&M at TA&M
Aub at Aub
MSST at home
Vandy at home
Ala at Ala
SC at SC
Fla at home
UT at UT
Ala at home
LSU at home
Ark at Ark
Miss at home
Fla at Fla

18 games. There is not even a double rotation of the East teams. It is just totally crazy.

That is why I said the Auburn's schedule is none of Auburn's doing.

Kentucky plays home and away: LSU, Vandy, UT, Fla and Ala. That is 10 of the 18 game SEC schedule. Only LSU is a West team. Why can't UK play USC and Georgia twice?

So I don't even know what the scheme is. Hell you have two degrees you need to tell me what makes sense in the scheduling. Then dive even deeper and explain the scheduling of Wednesday Saturday games. Especially before UK played Kansas on the road on a Saturday and they had a Wednesday game.

However, ask me how I could make a more fair schedule and I would be hard pressed to do it based on a 14 team conference that plays 18 games in a year.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
The SEC office does it. The schools take what is given.

This unbalanced schedule drives me crazy. You have 14 teams in the SEC. They divide them up East/West and rotate; except they really don't rotate or divide them up.

This year Kentucky plays:

Mizz at home
LSU at LSU
UGA at home
Vandy at Vandy
UT at home
TA&M at TA&M
Aub at Aub
MSST at home
Vandy at home
Ala at Ala
SC at SC
Fla at home
UT at UT
Ala at home
LSU at home
Ark at Ark
Miss at home
Fla at Fla

18 games. There is not even a double rotation of the East teams. It is just totally crazy.

That is why I said the Auburn's schedule is none of Auburn's doing.

Kentucky plays home and away: LSU, Vandy, UT, Fla and Ala. That is 10 of the 18 game SEC schedule. Only LSU is a West team. Why can't UK play USC and Georgia twice?

So I don't even know what the scheme is. Hell you have two degrees you need to tell me what makes sense in the scheduling. Then dive even deeper and explain the scheduling of Wednesday Saturday games. Especially before UK played Kansas on the road on a Saturday and they had a Wednesday game.

However, ask me how I could make a more fair schedule and I would be hard pressed to do it based on a 14 team conference that plays 18 games in a year.
Wonder what will happen when we go to 16 teams? When did the SEc get rid of divisions for basketball?

The SEC is a grind and there are 6 or 7 good teams.
Real deals don’t struggle with the likes of mizzou and Georgia in back to back games

Auburn is in for a rude awakening when that 7/8 seed in the 2nd round is better than 90% of the teams they played and way better than the teams they are struggling with right now.

Last edited:
Real deals don’t struggle with the likes of mizzou and Georgia in back to back games

Auburn is in for a rude awakening when that 7/8 seed in the 2nd round is better than 90% of the teams they played and way better than the teams they are struggling with right now.
I thought you were an SEC guy?

You’re fvcking high if you don’t think Purdue is national title contender this year. Take your defensive metrics and shove them up your ass.
Ivey's a stud. Him and Johnny Juzang are my 2 favorite players to watch in college basketball.

If the sec is bad this year how the hell would u describe them in years past.

the sec is better this year than i can ever remember

I agree you're not one dimensional on offense. Its just we've never seen such a poor defense win it all in March so I was just going based on history.
I totally agree. Strange thing to me is that by the eye test, our D is significantly better (not great) than the first part of the season. Yet our D efficiency keeps dropping.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT