ADVERTISEMENT

7 teams…

AuHoosier420

Gold Member
Oct 9, 2008
one of these 7 will likely win it all. I think Kansas is only other team that could be included.

Reactions: cdbearde
I'd still put Purdue on there, despite the pedestrian defensive efficiency numbers. Their offense is just really, really hard to stop.
Agreed. But Purdue can’t stop anyone themselves. I think they would be undefeated if they just had an average defense

Reactions: dukedevilz
Purdue scares me more than some of those teams.

Yeah, I'd worry about them fouling out our frontline. Edey and Williams command a lot of attention, and they're so incredibly efficient. And then you have Ivey, who very well might be the most talented player in the country. I'm hoping someone else knocks them out. They won't be an easy out.

Agreed. But Purdue can’t stop anyone themselves. I think they would be undefeated if they just had an average defense
No team in the country will outscore Purdue this year. The defensive metrics are overrated at this point. The margin between the 50th rated defense and 100th is pretty small. They stop teams when they need to.

It's true that Purdue's defense isn't great. But Purdue's offense is historically great. In the KenPom era, only the following teams had a higher AdjO than Purdue's 126.1:

2015 Wisconsin 129.0 - National Runner-up
2018 Villanova 127.8 - National Champ
2021 Gonzaga 126.4 - National Runner-up

Feel free to discount Purdue all you want because of our AdjD. But good luck stopping us.

It's true that Purdue's defense isn't great. But Purdue's offense is historically great. In the KenPom era, only the following teams had a higher AdjO than Purdue's 126.1:

2015 Wisconsin 129.0 - National Runner-up
2018 Villanova 127.8 - National Champ
2021 Gonzaga 126.4 - National Runner-up

Feel free to discount Purdue all you want because of our AdjD. But good luck stopping us.
Indiana is the only team ranked in the top 20 on kenpom currently in defense that you have played and you lost against them. Illinois is 22 Villanova is 27 and you did beat both of them though.

• Haha
Reactions: BleedinGold
Indiana is the only team ranked in the top 20 on kenpom currently in defense that you have played and you lost against them. Illinois is 22 Villanova is 27 and you did beat both of them though.
Yep. Purdue's offense is a factor in why that is the case.

But while we are at it, you are lauding Auburn being top 20 in offense. Do you know how many top 30 defenses you've played this year? That would be less than the number of top 30 defenses we've played.

Yep. Purdue's offense is a factor in why that is the case.

But while we are at it, you are lauding Auburn being top 20 in offense. Do you know how many top 30 defenses you've played this year? That would be less than the number of top 30 defenses we've played.
Kentucky and lsu are both ranked in the top 20 an auburn beat both of them.

• Sad
Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Exactly. 2. Maybe you don't belong on that list either?
You don’t make sense. The difference is that auburn is proving it on defense while your team is not even though the resumes are similar.

You don’t make sense. The difference is that auburn is proving it on defense while your team is not even though the resumes are similar.
You downplayed Purdue's offense because they haven't played anyone in a thread that you started by showing the teams that are top 20 in both offensive and defensive efficiency. Are you sure you are a top 20 offensive team?

Based on where teams are at right now I'd say Duke, Gonzaga, Purdue, Auburn, Kentucky, and Zona have the best shots (no particular order).

I don't see Baylor or Houston getting there. I guess they could but I just haven't been overly impressed with either. Baylor had some good wins early but I think they're starting to come back to Earth and all the roster turnover is starting to show. I simply just don't trust Houston.

Kansas and Illinois might have the teams to win it imo if they're at their best. Kansas had the early 1 pt loss to Dayton where they shot 9-20 from the line and a loss at Tex Tech (no shame there). We beat them pretty soundly but I'm not sure anybody in the country would've beat UK that night. Two of Illinois losses are without Kofi, two fairly close losses to Zona and Purdue. They did get smoked by Cincy but that was early on and was Kofi's 1st game back I'm pretty sure. They've looked really good lately.

Reactions: Boilermaker03
You downplayed Purdue's offense because they haven't played anyone in a thread that you started by showing the teams that are top 20 in both offensive and defensive efficiency. Are you sure you are a top 20 offensive team?
Purdue has to have its offense dominate while auburn does not. Even though we are still top 20 on offense Not sure why this is going above your head

• Sad
So that's why mighty Georgia (by far the worst team in the SEC) outscored them by 10 in the 2nd half and Auburn had to win at the buzzer?
We just didn’t play well in the 2nd half Saturday. Stopped giving Jabari touches and uga had a guard that literally couldn’t miss. We still won the game though. That’s the difference. Kentucky uses excuses for why you lost. We still won here

• Haha
We just didn’t play well in the 2nd half Saturday. Stopped giving Jabari touches and uga had a guard that literally couldn’t miss. We still won the game though. That’s the difference. Kentucky uses excuses for why you lost. We still won here
I always get a kick out of the "we" fans... like you're part of the team or some shit. It's cute.

I always get a kick out of the "we" fans... like you're part of the team or some shit. It's cute.
This is ironic coming from a Kentucky fan. 90 percent of your fanbases entire life’s worth is tied to the Kentucky basketball program. You all literally take loans out for UK basketball. Just imagine the credit card debt to buy tickets

This is ironic coming from a Kentucky fan. 90 percent of your fanbases entire life’s worth is tied to the Kentucky basketball program. You all literally take loans out for UK basketball. Just imagine the credit card debt to buy tickets
Why is it ironic? I don't say it. I make fun of them for it too. Again the knock on finances when Alabama is a poorer state than Kentucky, lol. Must be the same way for Auburn football...

We won the game. Our only loss this season occured in double OT over 2 months ago.
I'm curious to see how you do at Arkansas tomorrow. You've only played one likely tourney team on the road and that was at Jekyl and Hyde Alabama that is on the bubble.

Crazy that you only play 2-3 road games at NCAA teams this year. The schedule was very kind.

Last edited:
I'm curious to see how you do at Arkansas tomorrow. You've only played one for sure tourney team on the road and that was at Jekyl and Hyde Alabama that is squarely on the bubble.
I'm curious to see how you do at Arkansas tomorrow. You've only played one likely tourney team on the road and that was at Jekyl and Hyde Alabama that is squarely on the bubble.

Crazy that you only play 2-3 road games at NCAA teams this year. The schedule was very kind.
Alabama is firmly in the field. Not on the bubble. We also played at St. Louis who I expect will be in the field. We also beat Loyola in a neutral site who will be in the field. Auburn plays at arky, at Tennessee, at Florida, and miss st. Over the next few weeks. All those teams are in tourney or the bubble.

The poors don’t side with auburn in the state of Alabama pal. They are row tahd all the way…

Based on what you're telling me I would imagine this is what 99% of Auburn fans looks like. Which one are you? Salmon shorts guy? (Because rich people call pink "salmon")

img.jpg

I just can't see Houston doing this with Sasser being out for the year.

Backcourt depth is a major concern. Their starting 5 is still really talented. And like most Houston teams, they can rebound and defend. But yeah, I'm going to have a hard time seeing them go beyond the Sweet 16 this year.

Alabama is firmly in the field. Not on the bubble. We also played at St. Louis who I expect will be in the field. We also beat Loyola in a neutral site who will be in the field. Auburn plays at arky, at Tennessee, at Florida, and miss st. Over the next few weeks. All those teams are in tourney or the bubble.
Alabama should almost certainly be in but damn, they have some ugly losses. They gamed the system by playing no one in Q4 this year which allows them to have a NET ranking of 24. Those wins over Gonzaga and Houston are likely enough to get them in unless they fall apart tho (which they might do...they are 3-6 in their last 9).

SLU got snubbed last year with a NET ranking of 43. Their current NET ranking is 53 and they are unlikely to take the autobid from Davidson. I'll be surprised if they are dancing.

MS State is 48 in the NET and just 1-5 in Q1. Florida is 44 and 1-5 in Q1. Both teams have work to do. I'd wager there is a good chance one of the two is left out.

MS State hosts TN and then travels to LSU and Bama. They might need 2 of those because outside of hosting Auburn, the rest of their schedule is super soft.

Florida still has 2 games with UK and one with Auburn. They might need to win at least one of those. Their games against Georgia and Vandy certainly aren't going to help.

It's way too early to say only this amount of teams can win it all. Teams start peaking every year in conference tournaments and head into the tournament rolling. Auburn did it a couple years back and made the final four.

Reactions: mikeinknoxville
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT