ADVERTISEMENT

2018-19 Recruits

Trent and O'Connell can bomb it for sure but let's be honest, how many minutes are they really going to play when you have Jones, Barrett, Reddish, and Williamson? All those guys are going to play 30+ MPG... and Reddish isn't a 4, even in "positionless" basketball. Duke is going to be in trouble inside if that's the case. If any of the newcomers is a 4 it's Zion. He didn't commit to Duke to come off the bench either. No way Trent plays anywhere close to the minutes he's playing this year, IMO.
If Trent returns, there's no chance he won't start next year. It's not far fetched that he could be our best player. 5 star recruits who return to college for their 2nd year usually take huge jumps and end up in the All-American conversation.

It's like Devin Booker returning to UK for 2016 and you saying he's not going to start just because UK has the top 3 recruits coming in next year.

The best players will see the most minutes and I think its highly unlikely that Reddish, Barrett and Zion will all be better than a sophomore Gary Trent Jr.

If Trent returns, there's no chance he won't start next year. It's not far fetched that he could be our best player. 5 star recruits who return to college for their 2nd year usually take huge jumps and end up in the All-American conversation.

It's like Devin Booker returning to UK for 2016 and you saying he's not going to start just because UK has the top 3 recruits coming in next year.

The best players will see the most minutes and I think its highly unlikely that Reddish, Barrett and Zion will all be better than a sophomore Gary Trent Jr.
Booker went pro after his freshman year and had he stayed UK wouldn't have landed Jamal Murray. Trent is good, but Barrett and Reddish are better. If he sticks around his minutes will plummet. What is the feeling on whether or not he comes back anyway? He's good enough to be a fringe first rounder this year, IMO. Would he be willing to leave if he was a second rounder though? These are the questions you have to answer now that Duke is a one-and-done factory. ;)

Signed
5* Ayo Dosunmu

Targets
4* Tevian Jones
4* Blake Hinson
4* Courtney Ramey
3* Maurice Calloo
3* JUCO Austin Trice
NR Alan Griffin
NR JUCO Marlon Taylor

Potential Grad Transfers
Jordan Caroline
Josh Cunningham
Maybe more
Jordan Caroline from Reno, Nevada? You're on crack or what?

Reactions: klize17
Signed
5* Ayo Dosunmu
3* Alan Griffin

Targets
4* Tevian Jones
4* Blake Hinson
4* Courtney Ramey
3* Maurice Calloo
3* JUCO Austin Trice
NR JUCO Marlon Taylor

Potential Grad Transfers
Jordan Caroline
Josh Cunningham
Maybe more

Alan Griffin, son of Adrian Griffin, just committed. Hopefully, this is Underwood's Hardaway Jr.

All I know of him is his highlight video, and it is underwhelming. He has a good stroke and length though. Our mods seem ok with the signing.

Reactions: KisteK
Jordan Caroline from Reno, Nevada? You're on crack or what?
He is also the son of Simeon Rice (Illinois alum) and the grandson of JC Caroline who is also an Illinois alum and I believe his number is retired here. On the surface it seems crazy, but...

Iowa State:

Signed -
Talen Horton Tucker 4* #31
Zion Griffin 4* #84
Tyrese Haliburton 3* #148
George Conditt 3*

Recruiting -
Tyler Harris 4* #66

I'd be surprised if we don't land Harris if a scholarship opens up. It's a pretty solid class for us. Horton-Tucker should come in and play immediately. With Wigginton and Lard coming back along with Shayok and Jacobson sitting out, we should be back in the top half of the Big 12 next year.

Signed
5* Ayo Dosunmu
3* Alan Griffin
3* Samba Kane

Targets
4* Tevian Jones
4* Blake Hinson
4* Courtney Ramey
3* Maurice Calloo
3* JUCO Austin Trice
NR JUCO Marlon Taylor

Potential Grad Transfers
Jordan Caroline
Josh Cunningham
Maybe more

Illinois gets commit from 3* Samba Kane who reclassified from 2019. Long rim runner that might contribute a little next season.

Iowa State:

Signed -
Talen Horton Tucker 4* #31
Zion Griffin 4* #84
Tyrese Haliburton 3* #148
George Conditt 3*

Recruiting -
Tyler Harris 4* #66

I'd be surprised if we don't land Harris if a scholarship opens up. It's a pretty solid class for us. Horton-Tucker should come in and play immediately. With Wigginton and Lard coming back along with Shayok and Jacobson sitting out, we should be back in the top half of the Big 12 next year.

I ""love"" Iowa State's 2018 class. Great haul out of Illinois.
Tyler Harris, seems to be a bit of a whore.. e'ery body think they gettin Tyler Harris.

I ""love"" Iowa State's 2018 class. Great haul out of Illinois.
Tyler Harris, seems to be a bit of a whore.. e'ery body think they gettin Tyler Harris.
THT and Zion are solid gets. Illinois messed to by slow playing Zion. I think they would have had him had Nolley not trolled our staff. Unfortunate we had to turn down the THT commit. He looks like a stud.

THT and Zion are solid gets. Illinois messed to by slow playing Zion. I think they would have had him had Nolley not trolled our staff. Unfortunate we had to turn down the THT commit. He looks like a stud.

Agree. I think Conditt will be a good one, but it might take a year or two before he produces at the Big XII level.
Haliburton is the only one I really don't know much about; and of the four, the one I've read/seen the least on.

Agree. I think Conditt will be a good one, but it might take a year or two before he produces at the Big XII level.
Haliburton is the only one I really don't know much about; and of the four, the one I've read/seen the least on.
We were just talking about Conditt on our board. Word is that he's really skinny right now. Got pushed around by a matchstick, Drew Peterson. One high school coach claimed he can't imagine him playing in the Big Ten.

I like his skillset a lot, but I think you're looking at year 3 before he's contributing anything defensively.

We were just talking about Conditt on our board. Word is that he's really skinny right now. Got pushed around by a matchstick, Drew Peterson. One high school coach claimed he can't imagine him playing in the Big Ten.

I like his skillset a lot, but I think you're looking at year 3 before he's contributing anything defensively.
Colin Castleton was the only big that we recruited that I wish that we landed.

There’s no way Conditt doesn’t redshirt next year. We don’t really need him anyway. This will probably be the first year Prohm can go 9 deep.

There’s no way Conditt doesn’t redshirt next year. We don’t really need him anyway. This will probably be the first year Prohm can go 9 deep.
I can't imagine many teams using the RS these days, but that would be good for him. Looking forward to see what this class does for you.

I can't imagine many teams using the RS these days, but that would be good for him. Looking forward to see what this class does for you.
agree to a degree but in some cases it is a good idea if a player is open to the idea.

most teams don't as a rule use players 11-13 and it would be useful in balancing out the classes vs banking the scholarship.

agree to a degree but in some cases it is a good idea if a player is open to the idea.

most teams don't as a rule use players 11-13 and it would be useful in balancing out the classes vs banking the scholarship.
In the age of 5th year transfers, a red shirt could screw some programs down the road.

In the age of 5th year transfers, a red shirt could screw some programs down the road.
its no different than players that go pro after 1-2 or 3 years.

Bo Ryan made a living off of RS'ing players, Fran has red shirted players with some leaving after their RS year, some like Baer have turned out pretty good. a player like Ellingson has been steady not to high but not to low. Moss is just hitting his stride.

other teams have done this with good and bad results, there are no sure fire fixes in todays game where they can and will transfer.

smh, even if he never does anything in the XII, we'd never really know what he could have been in the b1g. Winky

Reactions: Jaycg15
Gil, heard a rumor Moss and Dailey might be leaving..
You hear anything like that?

Reactions: Jaycg15
Gil, heard a rumor Moss and Dailey might be leaving..
You hear anything like that?
nope as the coach and players had their after season sit down to discuss their future, academics are in order and everybody is coming back. just Cook is doing the same thing that Jok did W/O signing a agent and he too is coming back.

now it just depends on the NBA, to me he is not ready. not aggressive enough on Rebounds, gets lazy on defense. need to improve his FT shooting and range.

he did add a nice 15' shot but he needs to reach the College 3 point ARC.

so it looks like everybody will be back, giving the 18-19 team 3 Seniors something this team lacked as Uhl just never stepped up.

Baer will be 100% and will return to the role of 6th man and Senior leader.

Michigan brings in

5*-Ignas Brazdeikis
4*-Brandon Johns
4*- Colin castleton
4*- David dejulius
3*- Adrien Nunez

We are not after anyone else.

It’s beileins best class since 2012. Brazdeikis has all American potential, I think he will be a dominant college player, not much pro upside with him though. IMO he’ll start next year and be the best frosh in the b1g assuming iu doesn’t land Langford. Johns is a highly skilled and athletic 6ft9 forward who is a 5 Star talent when his motor is running but his motor runs hot and cold. Castleton is incredibly intriguing, he’s one of the best shot blockers in the 2018 class and is very skilled despite only playing basketball for 4 years. Dejulius had a monster sr year and will be a very good as a jr and sr imo. His game is similar to Derrick Walton. Nunez was a really late riser who is a sniper. He’s intriguing because he has only played since he was 14. I think best case he could be Dakota Mathias like, worst case he will be Duncan Robinson 2.0. Overall I love the mix of this class, one guy who is a virtual lock to be a great college player in Brazdeikis, 2 guys who have the potential to be first rounders(Johns and castleton), what will be a good 4yr pg(dejulius), and the 5th guy is an absolute sniper and those are always valuable.

Reactions: KisteK and Mgkcbb
IGNAS is going to dumptruck regularly in Beleins system as a college 4 man.

Michigan brings in

5*-Ignas Brazdeikis
4*-Brandon Johns
4*- Colin castleton
4*- David dejulius
3*- Adrien Nunez

We are not after anyone else.

It’s beileins best class since 2012. Brazdeikis has all American potential, I think he will be a dominant college player, not much pro upside with him though. IMO he’ll start next year and be the best frosh in the b1g assuming iu doesn’t land Langford. Johns is a highly skilled and athletic 6ft9 forward who is a 5 Star talent when his motor is running but his motor runs hot and cold. Castleton is incredibly intriguing, he’s one of the best shot blockers in the 2018 class and is very skilled despite only playing basketball for 4 years. Dejulius had a monster sr year and will be a very good as a jr and sr imo. His game is similar to Derrick Walton. Nunez was a really late riser who is a sniper. He’s intriguing because he has only played since he was 14. I think best case he could be Dakota Mathias like, worst case he will be Duncan Robinson 2.0. Overall I love the mix of this class, one guy who is a virtual lock to be a great college player in Brazdeikis, 2 guys who have the potential to be first rounders(Johns and castleton), what will be a good 4yr pg(dejulius), and the 5th guy is an absolute sniper and those are always valuable.
I’m quite high on Johns. I honestly think Beilein recruits very well for the system he is trying to run. Johns will be quite good.

Dejulius, on the other hand, I am far less high on. When he’s hot from a shooting perspective, he’s dangerous, when he’s not, his team loses to a team who has a winless league record and goes out in the first round of districts. There is a reason people like Foster Loyer are rated higher.

Ignas is a monster. Shuddering thinking about him at UM. Absolutely fits the Beilein mold.

Don’t know much about Nunez, and I’ve heard good things about the Castleton kid.
Anyway, a great class for UM. MSU and UM both bring in 5 man classes, and it will be interesting to see them battle it out over the next 4 seasons.

To be fair, Booker went on to become one of the best scorers in the NBA in short order. Very few players go on to become that.

If Trent comes back, Duke will need him, because they'll be a terrible shooting team. There are a helluva lot of tweener types on Duke's team next year though. I think K is going to have genuine issues finding ways to play Barrett, Williamson, and Reddish all on the floor together. Talented guys, but I really, really question the continuity there.

I’m quite high on Johns. I honestly think Beilein recruits very well for the system he is trying to run. Johns will be quite good.

Dejulius, on the other hand, I am far less high on. When he’s hot from a shooting perspective, he’s dangerous, when he’s not, his team loses to a team who has a winless league record and goes out in the first round of districts. There is a reason people like Foster Loyer are rated higher.

Ignas is a monster. Shuddering thinking about him at UM. Absolutely fits the Beilein mold.

Don’t know much about Nunez, and I’ve heard good things about the Castleton kid.
Anyway, a great class for UM. MSU and UM both bring in 5 man classes, and it will be interesting to see them battle it out over the next 4 seasons.

Dejulius can be a gunner at times but is a way better athlete(dejulius dunks on people at 5ft11)and shot creator than Loyer. Loyer is pretty much albrecht 2.0. Honestly shocked Izzo recruited him, as I will be shocked if he is ever able to be a good starting b1g pg.

ADVERTISEMENT