ADVERTISEMENT

100 greatest shooting guards of all time

There are folks actively trying to get others to boycott this account for his lists.
it should be boycotted. Possibly the worst list I've ever seen. It would be helpful if the guy at least listed his criteria.

If we're talking how they did in college then Devin Booker isn't one of the top 1000 shooting guards in CBB history, let alone top 100.

FYI the tweet has now been deleted 🤣
AltruisticPlasticGartersnake-max-1mb.gif

would love to hear @dukedevilz's reaction to the list and what his top 10 or top 20 look like.

So hard to compare players from different generations. Might try to give a top 25 list later this week.

Just quickly glancing at the guys in the first column, one of my concerns is how you'd classify the position of each player? I think it should be regarded as simply where did they play the most minutes? I know Valentine has the body of a wing, but he was Michigan State's primary ball handler. He's a point guard, IMO. David Thompson, Clyde Drexler, and Chris Mullin played more of the 3, IIRC. There are certainly many others like that.

Reactions: Sparty_57
would
So hard to compare players from different generations. Might try to give a top 25 list later this week.

Just quickly glancing at the guys in the first column, one of my concerns is how you'd classify the position of each player? I think it should be regarded as simply where did they play the most minutes? I know Valentine has the body of a wing, but he was Michigan State's primary ball handler. He's a point guard, IMO. David Thompson, Clyde Drexler, and Chris Mullin played more of the 3, IIRC. There are certainly many others like that.
yea I was suprised to see Mullin on there. He was clearly a 3 in college.
Putting that aside and just looking at the rankings themselves there are plenty of head scratchers in there.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Am I colorblind is Steve Alford seriously not on that list?
there are several glaring omissions and just as many glaring inclusions. Devin Booker made the list despite being a 10ppg game player in college.

Maybe they consider Alford a point guard. He did play point on that team. Smart wasn't the lead guard.

Shawn Respert is Michigan State's all-time shooting guard.

Shawn Respert is Michigan State's all-time shooting guard.
yep, people forget what a stud he was in college. One in a long line of many undersized 2 guards who dominated college and were never heard from again. Those type of forgotten players alone should really make up about 50% of this list.

I have Skiles as MSU's 2nd best point guard behind Magic. Loved Skiles. If it wasn't for home court advantage back then in the tourney he might've led MSU just as far as Magic did. Screw Mateen Cleaves if that's what you're gonna respond :)

yep, people forget what a stud he was in college. One in a long line of many undersized 2 guards who dominated college and were never heard from again. Those type of forgotten players alone should really make up about 50% of this list.

Exactly this. 2 guards in college are predominantly undersized. These players are in the 6'1-6'3 mold. The guy ranking this is likely classifying people by the position they'd play at the NBA level, according to their height. Michigan State is a good example. Respert was ranked as a point guard, but he's a 2 guard. And Valentine was ranked as a 2 guard, and he was primarily a 1.

Feel like JJ Reddick was both a great college player and also quite possibly the most overrated college player of all time.
That’s fair. Reminds me of what I used to say about the Blackhawks Patrick Sharp. used to call him the worst good player in the NHL.

Reactions: F-Duke
You mean Chris Lofton? Of course all 3 of UT's best guards (Lofton, Houston, Hopson) were Kentucky products. Thanks for Tony Delk though!
I'll mention to Barnes to not raid the state of KY at such a disportionate level in the future.

The person who runs that Instagram account generally makes trash lists on purpose

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
Not trying to be a Homer, but no Sam Cassell OR Bobby Sura means the list is crap.

Reactions: F-Duke

I have Skiles as MSU's 2nd best point guard behind Magic. Loved Skiles. If it wasn't for home court advantage back then in the tourney he might've led MSU just as far as Magic did. Screw Mateen Cleaves if that's what you're gonna respond :)
Skiles was special. In '86, they had Kansas on the ropes in a Sweet 16 matchup with a couple of minutes left; then, the clock at Kemper Arena stopped for 15 seconds while the game played on. The Spartans lost in OT.

I'm still pissed.

Skiles was special. In '86, they had Kansas on the ropes in a Sweet 16 matchup with a couple of minutes left; then, the clock at Kemper Arena stopped for 15 seconds while the game played on. The Spartans lost in OT.

I'm still pissed.
that's the game I was referencing. I'm still mad about it too and I'm not even a MSU fan, just a big Skiles fan.

@dukedevilz I’m curious on your take, would you categorize Jason Williams as a 1 or a 2? He played some point and put up assist numbers, but spent two of his three years next to Duhon, a true point. I think of him as a two, and would have him near the top of a list like this.

@dukedevilz I’m curious on your take, would you categorize Jason Williams as a 1 or a 2? He played some point and put up assist numbers, but spent two of his three years next to Duhon, a true point. I think of him as a two, and would have him near the top of a list like this.

I've never understood this argument. Being a prolific scorer doesn't automatically make you a combo guard. Jason Williams has the second highest assist average in Duke history at 6.0 assists per game (higher than Duhon, Amaker, Dawkins, Snyder, Wojo, Cook, and Tyus Jones). That assist average would place him 11th in the nation this season. Being a point-guard is kind of like being a spread-offense quarterback; you simply have to make the right reads. If there is an opening, you make the play yourself. I hate the idea of the point guard simply being someone who is a pass-first type player. Williams is a point guard in my book.

I've never understood this argument. Being a prolific scorer doesn't automatically make you a combo guard. Jason Williams has the second highest assist average in Duke history at 6.0 assists per game (higher than Duhon, Amaker, Dawkins, Snyder, Wojo, Cook, and Tyus Jones). That assist average would place him 11th in the nation this season. Being a point-guard is kind of like being a spread-offense quarterback; you simply have to make the right reads. If there is an opening, you make the play yourself. I hate the idea of the point guard simply being someone who is a pass-first type player. Williams is a point guard in my book.

TL;DR = @WojoRising is a dummy.

• Haha
Reactions: dukedevilz
ADVERTISEMENT