ADVERTISEMENT

Portal thread?

I honestly don't know. What I do know is, we get just about every player we aggressively pursue.

The last first round pick in the 2023 NBA draft is making more than 2 mil. Filipowski would have gone in the 1st Round, so I figure he was offered at least 2.5 M.

Here are some estimates:

Flip- 2.5 M
Proctor- 1 M
McCain- 1 M
Roach- 800k
Mitchell- 800k
Foster- 500k
Stewart- 500k
Power- 500k
Young- 300k
Blakes- 200k
Schutt- 200k
Reaves- 200k

Total: 8.5 Mil

I might be off by 10-20%. Just know that securing 7 top 25 kids is costly... Really think Cooper Flagg will be the highest paid in all of CBB next season.
I think Uk about three-fifty.

• Haha
Reactions: ExitFlagger
Same question applies either way.
200.webp

I don't trust you, are you about to rob me of my innocence.?

What's going on in Durham? Floor slap gang can't be happy about this. And

Unlimited transfers doesn't help. I'd say Cooper Flagg is making several guys worried about minutes.

Stewart leaving is the one that hurts the most, IMO. I thought he could have started at the 4, with Flagg at the 3... A year ago, we only expected Roach and Mitchell for one more year. So, not crushing in that sense. But, losing Stewart will hurt a lot.

Unlimited transfers doesn't help. I'd say Cooper Flagg is making several guys worried about minutes.

Stewart leaving is the one that hurts the most, IMO. I thought he could have started at the 4, with Flagg at the 3... A year ago, we only expected Roach and Mitchell for one more year. So, not crushing in that sense. But, losing Stewart will hurt a lot.
Plenty of stud transfers out there to restock with.

Nuts they didn't lose a single player last year, I guess the GM ran out of that money.

• Another Nike executive, Rachel Baker, allegedly said she was worried about carrying cash through an airport.
back when Zion was at Duke she only had to carry pizzas and donuts through the airport.

I honestly don't know. What I do know is, we get just about every player we aggressively pursue.

That seems to be the case for KU lately too, which is why I laugh when goofs like MGO talk about KU becoming irrelevant. Good luck w/ that. 😂

More likely, Bill's finally able to build rosters the way he wants to, which hasn't been the case for a long time. Even before the FBI probe, he struck out on top targets all the time.

The last first round pick in the 2023 NBA draft is making more than 2 mil. Filipowski would have gone in the 1st Round, so I figure he was offered at least 2.5 M.

Here are some estimates:

Flip- 2.5 M
Proctor- 1 M
McCain- 1 M
Roach- 800k
Mitchell- 800k
Foster- 500k
Stewart- 500k
Power- 500k
Young- 300k
Blakes- 200k
Schutt- 200k
Reaves- 200k

Total: 8.5 Mil

I might be off by 10-20%. Just know that securing 7 top 25 kids is costly... Really think Cooper Flagg will be the highest paid in all of CBB next season.

If those figures are close to accurate, Duke may have had 5 players that earned more than Hunter Dickinson. There were rumors of him getting over 1 mil, but I've heard the true figure was roughly 750k.

Plenty of stud transfers out there to restock with.

This is true. UNC lost 6 guys in the portal last year, IIRC. And they brought in some nice transfers like Harrison Ingram and Cormac Ryan.

That seems to be the case for KU lately too, which is why I laugh when goofs like MGO talk about KU becoming irrelevant. Good luck w/ that. 😂

More likely, Bill's finally able to build rosters the way he wants to, which hasn't been the case for a long time. Even before the FBI probe, he struck out on top targets all the time.

If those figures are close to accurate, Duke may have had 5 players that earned more than Hunter Dickinson. There were rumors of him getting over 1 mil, but I've heard the true figure was roughly 750k.

I may be way off. Kentucky got a boost in funds recently and is allegedly around 7-8 M now. Arkansas is supposedly at 6 M. So, if those 2 schools start beating Duke in recruiting battles, then you could probably cut my estimates in half.

But since we're winning so many recruiting battles, I figure we must be overpaying for a lot of guys.

This is true. UNC lost 6 guys in the portal last year, IIRC. And they brought in some nice transfers like Harrison Ingram and Cormac Ryan.

I may be way off. Kentucky got a boost in funds recently and is allegedly around 7-8 M now. Arkansas is supposedly at 6 M. So, if those 2 schools start beating Duke in recruiting battles, then you could probably cut my estimates in half.

But since we're winning so many recruiting battles, I figure we must be overpaying for a lot of guys.

Nothing new for Duke though. They've been landing practically whoever they want for decades.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Mark is a 6'7 forward who can't shoot. No one goes from Duke to Mizzou if they're good.

Jalen Warley enters the portal from FSU. Would have been our senior starting point guard. Best perimeter defender on the team.

I think we have 3 players now. Should be a fun season!

Dante Harris enters portal for UVA. Transferred in from Georgetown. I can’t say I’m that sad to see him go. Hopefully, it means good news regarding Trent Perry committing.

Reactions: PA_Panther
The portal is really hard to keep up with. Not just the players entering but the schools going after them. Leaders change so fast due to the NIL offerings, etc. can’t really count yourself the leader until it’s all said and done.

Dante Harris enters portal for UVA. Transferred in from Georgetown. I can’t say I’m that sad to see him go, Hopefully, it means good news regarding Trent Perry committing.

You guys contacted Dallin Hall recently, too. He was HM All-Conference in the Big 12. I'd rather have him over a 4-star recruit. Don't think he could start for Duke, so not super hopeful we can get him. But,, maybe he just wants money.

You guys contacted Dallin Hall recently, too. He was HM All-Conference in the Big 12. I'd rather have him over a 4-star recruit. Don't think he could start for Duke, so not super hopeful we can get him. But,, maybe he just wants money.

What are your thoughts on Duke and the portal? They haven’t really needed to use it much in the past, but in the free agency situation we’re all in, do you think Duke will be at a comparative disadvantage (like Michigan with admissions or just potential starting position with all the 5*s coming in)? Just curious.

Edit to add: NIL obviously won’t be an issue. Just wondering about the other factors.

Again, no one is picking UVA over Duke. If both are interested, we’re not winning that battle.

Again, no one is picking UVA over Duke. If both are interested, we’re not winning that battle.

If it's just about money, then yes. But, we didn't get Kadin Shedrick or Ernest Udeh last year. Money is a huge factor, but guys also want significant minutes. I imagine he'd start at the likes of Virginia or Clemson. I could see him being the 1st or 2nd guy off the bench here... and maybe that 's good enough for him.

Reactions: jhmossy
Better than Brea at Dayton?

Brea is the probably the best shooter in America. But, he's mostly utilized as a catch-and-shoot player. Great for spacing; you can't pinch too far off of him.

If you're going to win titles, though, you need playmakers. Devion Smith is one of the premier playmakers.

What are your thoughts on Duke and the portal? They haven’t really needed to use it much in the past, but in the free agency situation we’re all in, do you think Duke will be at a comparative disadvantage (like Michigan with admissions or just potential starting position with all the 5*s coming in)? Just curious.

Edit to add: NIL obviously won’t be an issue. Just wondering about the other factors.

We've never really gone after elite players before in the portal. Mostly filling out the roster. I think we'll need to go after elites in the future. The portal is in the one-and-done method. And Scheyer will need to adopt.

If we continue to simply look for role players, that can still be a challenge in itself. Sure, we can outbid teams. But, don't think too many guys are crazy about the thought of earning all of their minutes, knowing there's a realistic possibility of not being in the regular rotation. Heck, we had two 5-stars that were getting little to no minutes this past season. Coaches that are competing against us for transfers certainly won't be shy about pointing out that detail.

I believe there was one transfer target that had academic concerns last year. But, I rarely hear about it. I'm sure we avoid players with red flags. But like most institutions, Duke has a talent waiver where the athletes don't have to be on par with the typical student.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT