22.1 pts
8.9 reb
2.1 assists
2.3 TO

This is where it gets good

2.2 steals wow
1.8 blocks pretty good for a 6’6 forward
Only 2.0 fouls per game

Truly amazing how aggressive he is on defense and only manages to foul twice a game. That’s a real talent and even better.....

Coaching

He shoots something like 70%. And that is brought down by his three point shooting (32%)... he shoots 76% from two. To me that's a pretty amazing stat.

He is a very odd player, I feel, for refs. He moves so very quickly, and his hands are INSANELY quick... I honestly have a hard time sometimes even seeing what he is doing on D, especially with some of his step-in steals.

Zion is remarkably quick and nimble on the perimeter. Can’t remember many guys his size being able to jump passing lanes like he does.

The fouls thing is tough. Obviously he plays very aggressively and could get called for several more fouls a game. But he also gets a ton of contact on him that goes uncalled as well. Against FSU last week he probably could have been called for 8-10 fouls, but he also could have shot 25 FTs.

Honestly, I don’t think it’s bias toward him. I just don’t think college refs know how to handle him. More incompetence than bias.

Despite the troll job he certainly gets away with some fouls on defense. He is allowed to be very physical with who he guards. However, he also gets fouled on offense without calls as well. It's a very difficult job to officiate with elite athletes anyway and he is the extreme there and that, along with the media obsession, makes him a tough dude to figure out in that regard.

I don't think Williamson gets the Jordan or NBA superstar treatment from the officials, I'm like the earlier poster in thinking that officials just don't know how to handle him. In Kentucky HS games he'd walk onto the court with a three foul handicap because officials use the whistle to equalize talent at the high school level. In college he is so ungodly powerful that I think fouls committed on him don't get called because of the old Billy Packer mantra of advantage/disadvantage...when you make contact with him it doesn't impact him, so it isn't interpreted as a foul. His spin dribble down the lane is so quick and powerful but it rarely initiates any contact, so he is able to avoid those player control fouls that would seem to dog somebody that quick.

He is truly as unique a physical talent as we've seen in college basketball for the better part of 40 years.

2 fouls a game right :rolleyes:
I know right. It’s almost unheard of for somebody averaging almost 2 blocks and over 2 steals a game.
Couple that with his points that are created driving to the basket because he isn’t a great outside shooter and it really makes your jaw drop.

Such good.........coaching

Zion is shooting 76% on 2-point field goals an is only averaging 13 field goal attempts per game (I'm taking out the 30-second game against UNC out of the average). I know it might kill our ball movement a little, but the dude needs 20+ attempts a game. Sometimes he overdribbles, sometimes we force the entry pass into him, but come on. We're talking about 76%. I'll take those odds any day of the week.

Reactions: Quavarius
Zion is shooting 76% on 2-point field goals an is only averaging 13 field goal attempts per game (I'm taking out the 30-second game against UNC out of the average). I know it might kill our ball movement a little, but the dude needs 20+ attempts a game. Sometimes he overdribbles, sometimes we force the entry pass into him, but come on. We're talking about 76%. I'll take those odds any day of the week.
RJ ain’t having none of that

RJ ain’t having none of that

The shot distribution has been a little better lately in Zion's last 10 games. RJ has averaged 14.4 FGA (18.7 season average) in those 10 games, while Zion is at 13.5 FGA per game. I understand it's easier to get shots off from the perimeter (not having to worry about the entry pass), but I'd still like to see Zion get a few more touches.

We're 340th in the freaking country in 3-point shooting (30.2%)... and 5th in 2-point shooting (58.3%). Pretty obvious we should RARELY take outside jumpers. If the shot clock is expiring or you're wide open, go for it. Otherwise, get the ball inside.

He is probably the most impressive all around talent I have seen at the college level. There have been guys who were monsters in college but very few who are simply unstoppable. He is Pistol Pete, Shaq level unguardable right now.

Despite the troll job he certainly gets away with some fouls on defense. He is allowed to be very physical with who he guards. However, he also gets fouled on offense without calls as well. It's a very difficult job to officiate with elite athletes anyway and he is the extreme there and that, along with the media obsession, makes him a tough dude to figure out in that regard.
It is the old Shaq line of thinking IMO. Shaq was fouled almost every time he touched the ball in the low post, but refs didn't call many of them. I believe, much like Zion, there are times where you make contact with them but because of their power and size, they just keep playing through it. This happens with Lebron at times too. Tough guys to officiate.

He is probably the most impressive all around talent I have seen at the college level. There have been guys who were monsters in college but very few who are simply unstoppable. He is Pistol Pete, Shaq level unguardable right now.
Not to mention the rate he takes away the ball from the other team without fouling. WOW

It is the old Shaq line of thinking IMO. Shaq was fouled almost every time he touched the ball in the low post, but refs didn't call many of them. I believe, much like Zion, there are times where you make contact with them but because of their power and size, they just keep playing through it. This happens with Lebron at times too. Tough guys to officiate.
On the flip side since he is so much stronger than any player on the other team, any other player to ever play the game would average more than 2.0 fouls per game. It’s almost like Jesus Christ himself is playing inside of Zion. Amazing really

I mean, it does work both ways. I think even Duke fans realize he gets the benefit of the doubt on defense and rival rans that he does not on offense. I’m sure there are homers both ways though. That will only hell him at the next level IMO though.

What’s most impressive about Zion is the fact that he’s doing this along side RJ Barrett. We all can wonder how good they’d be without him and just imagine what Zion’s numbers would look like then.

I wonder how many games have ever been played with a player having 3 steals 3 blocks and 0 fouls?

After he fouled out of the Texas Tech game, the refs got the message (if you know what I mean). We know that’s what OP means!

Let the stars play is what they say, unless...

After he fouled out of the Texas Tech game, the refs got the message (if you know what I mean). We know that’s what OP means!

Let the stars play is what they say, unless...

I can't remember if Thoroughblue is one of those crazy Rafters guys who are all caught up in conspiracy theories. I think he is. He is really dodging it, though. I mean, sort of dodging it. Well... dodging having to actually think about something and justify it.

I can't remember if Thoroughblue is one of those crazy Rafters guys who are all caught up in conspiracy theories. I think he is. He is really dodging it, though. I mean, sort of dodging it. Well... dodging having to actually think about something and justify it.
What I did was put out numbers without putting my obviously biased view on it. If you have a problem with the numbers you need to take that to someone else.

What I did was put out numbers without putting my obviously biased view on it. If you have a problem with the numbers you need to take that to someone else.

giphy.gif

I think this is key; he is just so big and so fast... couple that with his aggression, and it's tough.

There was a play last weekend where he "trapped" a guy by barreling into them and forcing them off balance, meaning they either had to make a wild pass or travel. It should have been an easy foul call, but Zion does it all so fast that it looked clean until slow-mo.

On the other hand, Zion exploded to the rim for lots of dunks and tip ins, and was hacked on several. But he rips through the arm contact so easily, it doesn't really look like contact.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT