ADVERTISEMENT

Would you take Zion or RJ Barrett 1st overall?

First pick?

• Zion

Votes: 43 72.9%
  • RJ

Votes: 16 27.1%

• Total voters
Barrett is Robin. Z is Batman.

conversation_over_batman.gif

Reactions: Big_Blue79
At the beginning of the year, I kept telling friends Barrett>Zion for NBA potential. They’ve all been laughing at me since. But, I still think I get the last laugh.

Ja Morant over RJ. If Zion is healthy, I'd take him over anyone.
Whoever takes a poor shooter and turnover prone PG like Morant over a ready made NBA wing like RJ who's demonstrated great playmaking skills and scoring efficiency will regret it for a long time.

The Morant over RJ talk is silly.

Whoever takes a poor shooter and turnover prone PG like Morant over a ready made NBA wing like RJ who's demonstrated great playmaking skills and scoring efficiency will regret it for a long time.

I disagree. Ja Morant shoots a higher FG% than RJ Barrett and averages more points in fewer FG attempts, which is the very definition of efficiency. He also averages 10+ assists per game, which offsets the turnovers, imo.

Personally, I don't think you could go wrong with either pick, but it's not absurd to choose Morant over Barrett. Probably going to come down to need.

Addendum: Speaking of efficiency, I just checked and Ja Morant has a better PER than Barrett as well.

Last edited:
So you think this is an actual conversation?

Probably not. However, when you say silly things about funerals for other teams it isn't unreasonable you could say other stupid things.

I do worry about Zion's longevity/health, but it's kind of like asking would you rather have LeBron or DeMar DeRozan? DeRozan is a very solid player, perennial all-star, but I don't know if he's a game-changer. While Zion needs to work on his shot, I could see him flourishing in the NBA with all the open floor space. In the NBA he'll have several teammates that can shoot very effectively, so they can't over help on Zion too much. I think he'll do very well in exploiting one-on-one matchups. I'd take him #1, no doubt. I think Ja Morant might have a higher ceiling than RJ. So I'd say 1. Zion 2. Morant 3. RJ

I do worry about Zion's longevity/health, but it's kind of like asking would you rather have LeBron or DeMar DeRozan? DeRozan is a very solid player, perennial all-star, but I don't know if he's a game-changer. While Zion needs to work on his shot, I could see him flourishing in the NBA with all the open floor space. In the NBA he'll have several teammates that can shoot very effectively, so they can't over help on Zion too much. I think he'll do very well in exploiting one-on-one matchups. I'd take him #1, no doubt. I think Ja Morant might have a higher ceiling than RJ. So I'd say 1. Zion 2. Morant 3. RJ
Even if I agreed that Zion is better than RJ, I would say the gap is much closer than the gap between LeBron and DeRozan.

Doesn't Texas Tech have some SG that's supposed to challenge for a top pick?
Jarrett Culver. Yeah he’s pretty good. I’ll admit I’ve not seen Texas Tech play this year so I’m not sure how good he really is. Sounds very good though

Reactions: denniden
Culver is a beast. Go watch the tech vs duke game. He destroyed them. And he isn’t even close to his ceiling. Kid will continue to get better

Reactions: denniden

Is it still silly?

When did RJ become a good shooter?

Reactions: Cat_Incognito
Not even close for me, I would be all over RJ. Much more skilled and NBA ready now. Zion needs a shot and I think he will be plagued by injuries given his size. He will sell tickets though.
I’ve been thinking the same thing most of the season.

Make sure he tells people that when he's selling insurance next year.

Eyeroll

Culver is good, but he isn't challenging Zion for first pick.
“a” top pick

However, I liked RJ over Zion so I don’t have much of a leg to stand on here.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
Zion is the best college prospect since at least AD (probably even more valuable solely because of his position). It's obvious by the eye test and the stats; Zion was on track to possibly pass AD for the best projected WARP in the last 15 or so years (i.e. since Pelton began tracking) before he missed time due to injury.

But the good news for the 15 blind people that voted for RJ is that you all have become candidates for the GM job for the Phoenix Suns.

RJ is a better pro prospect. His style of play translates better to NBA IMO

"Barrett's volume scoring gives him the highest projected usage rate as an NBA rookie of any underclassmen in the top 100. The question is whether Barrett will score efficiently enough to justify that big a role, particularly as a young player. While Barrett is a strong playmaker for a wing, the rest of his game doesn't project particularly well. Notably, his steal rate is surprisingly weak for a player with his athletic gifts."

Volume scoring, unless it's at elite efficiency, is one of the worst scaling skills for the NBA.

Good post. I think DeRozan is a good litmus test for people that follow the NBA. Analysts that try to do comprehensive analysis of all players (mix of stats and scouting) realize that he's probably overrated (I say probably only because it's hard to know where he is actually rated). Others (like Bill Simmons) overrate his contributions.

I did too, then the season happened and I was wrong.

Yup, same. It was clear within about 10 games that Zion was going to be a lock for #1, and by about 20 games it was clear that he is the best prospect since at least AD.

There's something very "Smollett" about that comment. I don't believe it.

I was thinking the EXACT same thing. I cant imagine anyone A) trying to shit talk Luke Maye and B) with that lame of an attempt. Feels like made up BS.

ADVERTISEMENT