ADVERTISEMENT

Will the ACC and SEC Sweep the #1 Seeds?

DezyVol

Aug 3, 2008
Obviously this could change, and there’s still a lot of b-ball to be played. But as of today it seems like Duke - UVA - Tenn are obvious picks for one seeds.

UK is playing like a one seed at the moment. The Seton Hall loss hurts a lot, but they’re almost certainly the 2nd team in terms of raw talent. They still have to play TN twice, if either team sweeps, the other is likely out. A split keeps them both in the conversation.

Michigan and Mich St have taken a step back, though UM is still right on the 1/2 line. Michigan St probably only has room for one more loss to stay in contention. Michigan probably can’t lose more than 2 more.

Gonzaga is the wildcard. If they win out then they likely grab the #1 seed out West. Even a single loss, though, with their schedule, could see them fall easily to a 2.

UNC and Marquette are out on the fringes, but could get back in the mix with really strong finishes.

Obviously this could change, and there’s still a lot of b-ball to be played. But as of today it seems like Duke - UVA - Tenn are obvious picks for one seeds.

UK is playing like a one seed at the moment. The Seton Hall loss hurts a lot, but they’re almost certainly the 2nd team in terms of raw talent. They still have to play TN twice, if either team sweeps, the other is likely out. A split keeps them both in the conversation.

Michigan and Mich St have taken a step back, though UM is still right on the 1/2 line. Michigan St probably only has room for one more loss to stay in contention. Michigan probably can’t lose more than 2 more.

Gonzaga is the wildcard. If they win out then they likely grab the #1 seed out West. Even a single loss, though, with their schedule, could see them fall easily to a 2.

UNC and Marquette are out on the fringes, but could get back in the mix with really strong finishes.
No

Reactions: guppy likes purdue
If duke beats Virginia again does that knock them down a seed line? Maybe not if they win every other game but that’s asking a lot

And if we split with TN will the SEC tourney winner decide the #1seed? That is if KY and TN are playing for the SEC title...

Seems unlikely. Most likely scenario seems like UVA, Duke, Tennessee, and either Gonzaga or Michigan.

Duke/UVA/UT are all probably #1 seeds barring a bunch of losses. Then you have Michigan and Gonzaga fighting for it with UK coming up behind. If UK wins out I think they'd have a pretty good shot, but that's obviously easier said than done considering they still have 2 games with UT.

If UVA only has 2-3 losses and 2 of them are to Duke, they should definitely be a 1 seed. We will have a ton of Quad 1 wins in that scenario. However, if Duke sweeps us, they will surely get the 1 seed in the East (DC) and we may be relegated to a 1 seed in the South (Louisville) or even Midwest (Kansas City). A few more losses and we'll move to the 2-3 line. This, of course, is in isolation without considering how other teams perform.

If UVA only has 2-3 losses and 2 of them are to Duke, they should definitely be a 1 seed. We will have a ton of Quad 1 wins in that scenario. However, if Duke sweeps us, they will surely get the 1 seed in the East (DC) and we may be relegated to a 1 seed in the South (Louisville) or even Midwest (Kansas City). A few more losses and we'll move to the 2-3 line. This, of course, is in isolation without considering how other teams perform.
That is scary for UVA. That means they would have to play another 16 seed this year. And we all know how that turned out last year.

Actually, UT has some tough road games toward the end of their schedule.

They are @UK in a couple weeks, but they also have to go to Auburn and LSU.

Then there is the second UK/UT tilt in Knoxville in March. The way UK is trending, that game may come down to who has the ball last.

I think the 1 seeds will be:
Duke - East
UK - MW
UVA - South
Gonzaga - West

I hate that Gonzaga will get a 1 seed, because they went 1-2 in their toughest games and they're currently playing a bunch of D2 teams to finish out the season.

But the Committee really won't care about that.

Reactions: CB3UK

Then there is the second UK/UT tilt in Knoxville in March. The way UK is trending, that game may come down to who has the ball last.

Duke - East
UK - MW
UVA - South
Gonzaga - West

I hate that Gonzaga will get a 1 seed, because they went 1-2 in their toughest games and they're currently playing a bunch of D2 teams to finish out the season.

This is true. TN still has UK twice. At LSU. At Auburn. Miss St at home. At Ole Miss. Florida at home. 5-2 in those 7 games would be a success. 4-3 is certainly a possibility.

I don’t think the committee would wait to see who wins the SEC tournament, but if TN and UK split and both have the same number of losses going into it (which would require us to drop two of the other games, which is possible but probably unlikely) it will be interesting to see where they go.

Reactions: kyjeff1

Duke - East
UK - MW
UVA - South
Gonzaga - West

A lot of the bigger ACC matchups have been backloaded this year. It was a smart move by the ACC to have more marquee games when all eyes start to focus on college basketball. Of the current top 4 ACC teams, Duke-UVA played once and UNC-Louisville played twice already. The rest are yet to come. And you still have 3 ranked teams in the 5-8 spots so there will probably be losses coming for the potential 1-seeds.

A lot of the bigger ACC matchups have been backloaded this year. It was a smart move by the ACC to have more marquee games when all eyes start to focus on college basketball. Of the current top 4 ACC teams, Duke-UVA played once and UNC-Louisville played twice already. The rest are yet to come. And you still have 3 ranked teams in the 5-8 spots so there will probably be losses coming for the potential 1-seeds.
Yeah, but the overall body of work for UVA and duke will/should be enough to.give both programs a 1 assuming both win the games they are supposed to win.
I do feel, however, that duke could drop a couple of unexpected games and still get a 1 seed, the rest don't have that luxury. I say that because the committee knows that Duke has an incredible amount of talent, that will buy them a couple of excused losses.

The SEC has done the same. That’s why TNs and UKs roughest games are in last 4 weeks.

Funny how the view is “UVA has done enough....”, but the same doesn’t apply to TN with the same record and same # of KenPom top 100 wins. Resumes are almost identical. TNs only loss to healthy KU on neutral in OT. UVAs only loss on road to Duke without Trey.

The SEC has done the same. That’s why TNs and UKs roughest games are in last 4 weeks.

Funny how the view is “UVA has done enough....”, but the same doesn’t apply to TN with the same record and same # of KenPom top 100 wins. Resumes are almost identical. TNs only loss to healthy KU on neutral in OT. UVAs only loss on road to Duke without Trey.

I definitely didn’t say Tennessee hasn’t done enough. I also didn’t say that UVA has done enough to wrap up 1 seed either

Reactions: della and kyjeff1

You have a point, but you have to look at the Ken Pom metrics. IIRC, UVA ranked #2 in offensive efficiency and #2 in defensive efficiency.

Now, don't quote me on that, I didn't look it up myself, but someone posted those rankings on here not too long ago.

If those numbers are correct, UVA is getting the 1 over UT.

You have a point, but you have to look at the Ken Pom metrics. IIRC, UVA ranked #2 in offensive efficiency and #2 in defensive efficiency.

Now, don't quote me on that, I didn't look it up myself, but someone posted those rankings on here not too long ago.

If those numbers are correct, UVA is getting the 1 over UT.

Currently 5 offense, 2 defense.

UT is 2 offense, 43 defense.

We’d probably be a slight favorite on a neutral court.

Currently 5 offense, 2 defense.

UT is 2 offense, 43 defense.

We’d probably be a slight favorite on a neutral court.

Committee is supposed to look at a variety of metrics like record, SOS, NET, etc. Nowhere do I recall hearing about Off and Def Efficiency ratings. That would be WAY down the list.

I do agree TN needs to improve their defense though.

Those are extremely impressive rankings. Tough to ignore those numbers.

Offense is more versatile this year and actually have some post scoring. We still rely too much on the jump shot so I always worry about going cold at the worst time. I’m just ready for the tourney

The SEC tourney championship game is meaningless, the seeding is already decided by that point on Sunday.
As proven in 2016. That's why almost all other conferences have moved their title games to Saturday. The SEC is obviously too slow to catch on and start the tournament a day earlier.

Reactions: guppy likes purdue
don't see 2 sec teams getting a 1 seed. i think uk is on outside looking in right now. if they sweep tenn they are in, for sure, as a 1 w/ no real hiccups in between. not sold on either of them, however. not sold on uva either.

it's going to either be duke or a team from fringe 2/3 to win it all in my opinion. wouldn't be surprised at a duke/um final or something along those lines. duke/nova, msu, etc.

only way they get all 4 #1 seeds if every team falls off the planet. the ACC is not the be all end all conference.

the BT/ACC challenge ended in a 7-7 tie.

What seed would you give Nevada if they end up going 33-1 before the tournament? I don't think they're a top 5 team, personally. I'd be okay with a 2 seed. But if they run the table, they could very well receive a 1 seed. Remember, Gonzaga was a 1 seed in 2013 with 2 losses - and a 1 seed with a single loss in 2017.

My early picks:
Duke, Tennessee, UVA, Gonzaga

Reactions: della

No.

The only time Kentucky is a one seed is when there is no close competition and the the NCAA seeding committee will send them to some distant region.

Virginia, Duke, Gonzaga and some team other than an SEC team.

What seed would you give Nevada if they end up going 33-1 before the tournament? I don't think they're a top 5 team, personally. I'd be okay with a 2 seed. But if they run the table, they could very well receive a 1 seed. Remember, Gonzaga was a 1 seed in 2013 with 2 losses - and a 1 seed with a single loss in 2017.

My early picks:
Duke, Tennessee, UVA, Gonzaga
Ranked 17th on KenPom with an adjusted O of 21 and adjusted D of 25. They're a 3 seed IMO. Their SOS is 106th. Definitely not good enough for a 1 or a 2 seed.

But hey, if the committee wants to put them in UK's bracket as a 2 seed, I'm good with that.

Reactions: dukedevilz
If Nevada were to get a one that would be a disgrace.

They are a good team no doubt but you can’t reward that schedule with a one

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
This bracketology site has 2 ACC and 2 SEC as 1's. Duke-East UVA-Midwest Tenn-South UK-West

http://www.bracketwag.com/

I've never heard of it before lol. Too many things that need to fall into place for UK to be a 1. Its possible, but would dang near have to win out.

It also has UofL as a 4 in UK's bracket.

ADVERTISEMENT