ADVERTISEMENT

Why does espn hate Michigan so much

JayhawkWriter

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2016
During the KU vs Texas game, Fran starts talking and he throws out the possible scenario that even though DUKE lost to an unranked Syracuse team at home, if they go on the road and beat Virginia on Saturday they had a strong argument to remain the number 1 team in the country. What gives? I can only remember 2 instances where the number 1 team lost, number 2 team won and the number 1 team stayed number 1. First was in 1997 when KU lost to MU in double overtime but stayed number one because everyone else already had 2 losses and it was KU's first (they just weren't a unanimous number 1 anymore). Second was when Illinois lost to Ohio State in 2005 (first loss of the season, everone else had 3 or more losses, they remained unanimous number 1). I could be missing more but those two I remember. If Michigan wins out this week no way they aren't number 1 right?

During the KU vs Texas game, Fran starts talking and he throws out the possible scenario that even though DUKE lost to an unranked Syracuse team at home, if they go on the road and beat Virginia on Saturday they had a strong argument to remain the number 1 team in the country. What gives? I can only remember 2 instances where the number 1 team lost, number 2 team won and the number 1 team stayed number 1. First was in 1997 when KU lost to MU in double overtime but stayed number one because everyone else already had 2 losses and it was KU's first (they just weren't a unanimous number 1 anymore). Second was when Illinois lost to Ohio State in 2005 (first loss of the season, everone else had 3 or more losses, they remained unanimous number 1). I could be missing more but those two I remember. If Michigan wins out this week no way they aren't number 1 right?

1) You have to be kidding, ESPN slurps U of M all day, every day...regardless of sport.

2) Yes, if Michigan wins out this week, they deserve/should be #1

3) Some people have questioned Michigan's Strength of Schedule...which is currently #100 per Ken Pomeroy. For reference, Duke is currently at #18.

4) Who cares about rankings in mid-January?

Who cares. But if we beat Virginia (huge IF) without Tre Jones and possibly Cam Reddish, who will have a better resume? That would be the 5th Top 15 team we would have beaten.

A lot of people don't like over grown weasels, not just ESPN. But, I don't know why that is.

Who cares. But if we beat Virginia (huge IF) without Tre Jones and possibly Cam Reddish, who will have a better resume? That would be the 5th Top 15 team we would have beaten.
Its all about when you win those games. We have top ten wins against MSU and Tenn but are behind both in the rankings right now. Can't see how a two loss DUKE could stay number 1 over an unbeaten MU team.

Its all about when you win those games. We have top ten wins against MSU and Tenn but are behind both in the rankings right now. Can't see how a two loss DUKE could stay number 1 over an unbeaten MU team.

Well if Duke wins against UVA on Saturday to go along with their other 4 Top 15 wins.....

I can see how. If Duke’s resume (after beating a top 5 Virginia) is better than Michigan’s, I can certainly see how they can stay ranked above them. It prolly wouldn’t happen because of the massive meltdown to college basketball fans. Also, I have no idea what Michigan’s resume looks like compared to Duke accept they’re undefeated.

If UVA beats VT and Duke this week, they will finally have entered the conversation for the #1 ranking.

no, the talking heads will use the Tre Jones injury as a way to downplay UVA's record. They might not drop below Gonzaga next week, but they won't climb above Tenn or Michigan. Like I said earlier, I honestly believe there is a bias against UVA this year where they are being poll punished for the 1v16 loss last spring.

I personally think they deserve the benefit of the doubt if they beat UVA Saturday. I mean yeah they had 2 top 2 picks still out there but what’s a team without their leading point guard? Ask yourself, would your team win without your starting PG? Ours sure as heck wouldn’t.

They have a strong resume and it’d be stronger by beating UVA.

I’m fine if Michigan is #1, but resume wise, Duke’s will be stronger if they win this weekend.

Last edited:
I could definitely see this. I know the big ten still has a spot in Super Tuesday but how much longer do you think the BTN lets marquee games go to espn over themselves.?

For real, I think it is a factor. I remember when I was back at MSU in the Izzone during the Shannon Brown / Maurice Ager days, and those guys would always have a ESPN Top-10 worthy dunk almost every game. We'd go to the game, then go home and watch Sportscenter to see the dunk again.

Now I feel like MSU and the B1G rarely ever makes any Top-10 plays on Sportscenter. Even just the discussion of the games (esp considering Michigan and MSU are both Top-10 teams) it seems like ESPN will only talk about the game for 20 seconds and then on to ... Duke / UK / whoever else.

If both teams win this week, we will be at (using Kenpom):

Duke's best wins:
#1 home
#8 neutral
#12 neutral
#15 neutral
#26 away
#32 home

Michigan's best wins:
#9 home
#14 away
#16 home
#21 away
#32 home

Duke's losses:
#4 neutral
#35 away

Michigan's losses:
None

So Michigan's 5 best wins are about even with Duke's wins 2 through 6.

It comes down to what is better:
Winning vs #1 at home but losing to #4 (neutral) and #35 (home) vs not beating #1 but having no losses.

Now I’ve read everything. Espn now hates the school that has one of the largest fan bases in college sports. A network that employs Jalen Rose and Desmond Howard as premier analysts.

Speechless. I wish MSU got the press UM gets. Good lord they get slurped non stop. I think Harbaugh ate some Cheerios. Write an article!

1) You have to be kidding, ESPN slurps U of M all day, every day...regardless of sport.

3) Some people have questioned Michigan's Strength of Schedule...which is currently #100 per Ken Pomeroy. For reference, Duke is currently at #18.

3).....SOS puts too much weight into which level the cupcakes you play are. Michigan's SOS would be a bit higher if they went 4-0 against Princeton, Hartford, Yale, and Eastern Michigan rather than 4-0 against Air Force, Binghamton, Chattanooga, and George Washington. Would going 4-0 against the first set of cupcakes make Michigan better because the SOS would be higher? Not really, no.

3).....SOS puts too much weight into which level the cupcakes you play are. Michigan's SOS would be a bit higher if they went 4-0 against Princeton, Hartford, Yale, and Eastern Michigan rather than 4-0 against Air Force, Binghamton, Chattanooga, and George Washington. Would going 4-0 against the first set of cupcakes make Michigan better because the SOS would be higher? Not really, no.

This happens every year. A lot of teams are impacted by the real garbage teams. It may feel as though it’s just Michigan but it’s not.

This happens every year. A lot of teams are impacted by the real garbage teams. It may feel as though it’s just Michigan but it’s not.

I didn't say it was just Michigan. I was just comparing Michigan's cupcakes to Duke's cupcakes. Michigan and Duke have each played 7 teams outside of the Kenpom top 150, it's just Michigan's cupcakes are significantly worse.

vs

You see my point? I'm not saying Michigan's schedule is as good as Duke because it's not. I'm just saying that people put way too much weight into overall strength of schedule. Outside of certain tiers, a cupcake is a cupcake.

Last edited:
Reactions: RichardMassive
I mean, name means something. In football Michigan will get a bump off their name. In basketball Duke will get a bump off their name. It has certainly helped UNC before. Heck, probably is right now. Also, Duke has been hyped to a degree probably never seen before. That has some influence as well.

I could definitely see this. I know the big ten still has a spot in Super Tuesday but how much longer do you think the BTN lets marquee games go to espn over themselves.?

It’s FOX that might get premier BIG games, not BTN which is always secondary rights

Last edited:
They should’ve been 1 already imo. But I think you’re right

Michigan went 33-8 last year and finished on a 14-1 run that included a trip to the National Championship Game.

They returned 3 starters (Simpson/Matthews/Livers) and 2 key bench players (Poole/Teske).

They brought in a 5* (Brazdeikas) and 3 top 100 4*s.

They start the season 17-0.

And people will still argue they are unproven and put them behind a team with 2 losses.

They slurp Duke and Zion a hundred times worse. Vitale and Bilas are nauseating when Duke is the topic. That is their chosen storyline for 2019. Zion and Duke. Nothing else matters to them. Sort of like SEC football every year.

no, the talking heads will use the Tre Jones injury as a way to downplay UVA's record. They might not drop below Gonzaga next week, but they won't climb above Tenn or Michigan. Like I said earlier, I honestly believe there is a bias against UVA this year where they are being poll punished for the 1v16 loss last spring.
No doubt Va will be forever diminished until they make a E8 or F4 run. I wouldn't bet against them this year. They look good. And determined to erase that memory no doubt.

Dan Jockitch is no fan of Michigan either
He's pretty vocal about it. It isnt some conspiracy unlike OPs hypothesis. Dan is pretty clear about his thoughts on Michigan.

Anyway, if Duke wins tonight they stay #1. If UVA wins they will probably move to #1, big win over #9 VT earlier and this one.

Id argue Tennessee should be ahead of Duke.....loss to Kansas v a loss to Syracuse, but it'll all work itself out.

Not too worried about it, 45 minutes to Cayts @ Warplainseagletigermen.

ADVERTISEMENT