ADVERTISEMENT

Who's the best defender at his position?

Jumper100

Mar 12, 2017
In all of college basketball, who would be your vote for the best defender at his position? Feel free to list guys at all 5 positions if you'd like

Reactions: FVTgoWV
I wouldn’t put a single Kansas player in the top 50. Carter is a great pick.

PG- Jevon Carter
SG- Justin Simon
SF- Mikal Bridges
PF- Gary Clark
C - Mo Bamba

For my money, there's no one I'd rather have defending in the backcourt than Jevon Carter at WVU.

latest

Reactions: FVTgoWV
Jaren Jackson JR is the best defender in the nation imo. He might be the best defender Ive watched since WCS or something.

Mo Bamba erases nearly every shot around the rim and hes up there.

Kenny Williams is a really good perimeter defender. It is hard to rank anyone though when there are so many others I haven't seen.

Reactions: shun1
Texas paid good money for bamba. He must of been more than the 250k for Davis we paid. Best defender by far is billy Preston nobody has scored a single point on him. Dude is killing it

I wouldn’t put a single Kansas player in the top 50. Carter is a great pick.

No kidding. Although Garrett will eventually be one of they very best in the nation. Maybe as early as next year.

Zero Louisville players would be on the list, but if the category was for help defense, Anas Mahmoud would be a good choice. The guy gets a lot of off the ball blocks.

What was the name of the PG from Ohio State? White guy? A few years ago. I can't think of his name.

Briscoe from Kentucky during his freshman year was a very good defender.

What was the name of the PG from Ohio State? White guy? A few years ago. I can't think of his name.

Briscoe from Kentucky during his freshman year was a very good defender.
Kraft dude was a stud and a great 4 yr player

Texas paid good money for bamba. He must of been more than the 250k for Davis we paid. Best defender by far is billy Preston nobody has scored a single point on him. Dude is killing it

Don't forget Vanderbilt

Jaren Jackson Jr. is the best defender in he country. And the stats prove it. 3.4 blocks, a steal, and people just plain as day don’t hotness when he’s guarding them. He also never gets lost or beat. It’s awesome watching him guard Maye and Bonzie, as he just neutralized them. (Bonzie got points but had a terrible shooting night, and also score very little on JJJ, more of our other guys.)

Michigan State's defense is elevated to a new level when Jaren Jackson Jr. is on the floor. Per Hoop Lens, the Spartans allow just .81 points per possession when he's on the court compared to .96 points per possession when he's on the bench.

He blocks 14.4 percent of opposing 2-point attempts by himself when he's on the court and lowers opponents' effective field-goal percentage from 42.5 to 36.9 percent.

I mean its either Bamba or JJJ. They both change the game so drastically. Make scoring 2 point field goals so incredibly difficult for opposing teams.

Rex Pflueger is a fantastic defender for Notre Dame. He doesn't offer a whole lot at the offensive end for ND (roughly 9 ppg and 5 rpg) but he always defends the opponents best guard / wing.

Homer in me has to bring up Dakota Mathias. May not be THE best perimeter defender, but he is certainly one of the best.

Allonzo Trier: 8 pts, 3-10, 4 TOs
Deng Adel: 13 pts, 5-15, 4 TOs
Keylan Martin: 17 pts, 6-13, 2 TOs (much of his points came in garbage time and Mathias was giving up a lot of size)

Last edited:
Reactions: kylemhs31
Michigan State's defense is elevated to a new level when Jaren Jackson Jr. is on the floor. Per Hoop Lens, the Spartans allow just .81 points per possession when he's on the court compared to .96 points per possession when he's on the bench.

He blocks 14.4 percent of opposing 2-point attempts by himself when he's on the court and lowers opponents' effective field-goal percentage from 42.5 to 36.9 percent.
Thanks. I was to lazy to find an article but you picked up my slack.

ADVERTISEMENT