ADVERTISEMENT

Who Wins the ACC?

Who will win the ACC Regular Season Title in 2021?

• Clemson

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • Duke

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Florida State

Votes: 64 45.4%
  • Louisville

Votes: 14 9.9%
  • North Carolina

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • Virginia

Votes: 37 26.2%
  • Virginia Tech

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other

Votes: 5 3.5%

• Total voters
It’s time to stop talking about Florida St as an elite team. 5 losses to bad or mediocre teams; 4 by double digits. No above average wins.

I definitely thought it was going to be FSU but couldn't be happier to be wrong. I still like FSU for the ACC tourney due to their depth but I can't believe this UVA team won the regular season. Very happy for them!!!

5 regular season championships in the last 8 years and 3 out of the last 4 years.

I definitely thought it was going to be FSU but couldn't be happier to be wrong. I still like FSU for the ACC tourney due to their depth but I can't believe this UVA team won the regular season. Very happy for them!!!

5 regular season championships in the last 8 years and 3 out of the last 4 years.
Yeah. But how many off-season championships do they have?

Reactions: jhmossy
FSU offseason trophies? I’ve never heard of FSU fans bragging about how good they are gonna be in the off-season year in year out, but I live in ky so I get that in spades from bbn.

It’s time to stop talking about Florida St as an elite team. 5 losses to bad or mediocre teams; 4 by double digits. No above average wins.

Your right, and I was in that camp a month or so ago, after the smacked us around in Tallahassee.

But since then I’ve learned, that smacking Louisville around this year, just doesn’t mean much. We are 13-6 and I’d bet we have been outscored this season by our opponent. 13-6 with a negative point differential, and negative plus/minus splits on the season for some if not most.

And I watched FSU take a road trip in that same time frame. I really have questions about them, mainly wtf y’all doing lol.

UVA is our only shot for the conference to not be an absolute laughing stock. But heck I don’t watch the other conferences much, but dam sure wasn’t impressed with number 6 wvu. Losing to okie state minus Cunningham and likely.

There’s def a difference in big 10 and 12, but I’m not so sure that all the other conferences aren’t down, as to what they are putting on the court. Guess thats just how it is in the ultimate down year.

I think the ACC is gonna have an ugly NCAA tourney. I hope I’m wrong but this is a pretty weak league.

Your right, and I was in that camp a month or so ago, after the smacked us around in Tallahassee.

But since then I’ve learned, that smacking Louisville around this year, just doesn’t mean much. We are 13-6 and I’d bet we have been outscored this season by our opponent. 13-6 with a negative point differential, and negative plus/minus splits on the season for some if not most.

And I watched FSU take a road trip in that same time frame. I really have questions about them, mainly wtf y’all doing lol.

UVA is our only shot for the conference to not be an absolute laughing stock. But heck I don’t watch the other conferences much, but dam sure wasn’t impressed with number 6 wvu. Losing to okie state minus Cunningham and likely.

There’s def a difference in big 10 and 12, but I’m not so sure that all the other conferences aren’t down, as to what they are putting on the court. Guess thats just how it is in the ultimate down year.

FSU is extremely good when we can knock down some shots early and get the aggressiveness on defense going. Even despite our second half collapse in Chapel Hill and first half no-show against ND, we are still a top 12 team since January 15th—so almost 2 months.

But we just aren’t mentally tough. We miss Trent Forrest dearly.

I think the ACC is gonna have an ugly NCAA tourney. I hope I’m wrong but this is a pretty weak league.

As always, matchups will be key. But I think FSU and UVA should both make the Sweet 16, and Clemson, GT, and UNC can all get there with a good draw.

As always, matchups will be key. But I think FSU and UVA should both make the Sweet 16, and Clemson, GT, and UNC can all get there with a good draw.

Yeah those are good points. I actually like GT in the tourney. They’re a tough matchup. FSU’s depth and athleticism will be a tough out. If we play like we did today, then I think we can win 2-3 games.

Reactions: GE Nole
Yeah those are good points. I actually like GT in the tourney. They’re a tough matchup. FSU’s depth and athleticism will be a tough out. If we play like we did today, then I think we can win 2-3 games.

GT has been a top 20 team in the country since January. Come a long way since the two losses to start the season after Pastner decided to do “contact-less practice” in the preseason.

From off-season champs to 10-seed in ACCT
1254172884282.jpg

Your right, but I mean look around. Everyone’s struggling tbh and the big 10 and big12 have so many good teams they are holding down a lot of the rankings just by playing and losing to each other. The big ten especially, like when teams like minn and NW got hot for 3-4 games and shot into the top 20, and now neither has a prayer of getting an invite.

The big12 too really, I mean wvu is ranked 6 with 7 losses, loses to okie state today at home, which isn’t a bad loss until you look at the fact that neither likely or Cunningham played. I guess I’m being overly critical having watched the last 10 mins and osu tried and tried to give it away but wvu clanged 3 after 3 against osu zone. They would have lost by double digits had they not gotten to the ft line 30+ times, some very much questionable.

Idk I have zero faith in anyone in the ACC making a run until I look around at some of the projected 2-3 seeds and they aren’t exactly juggernauts. Like I think FSU can beat bama or arky if that’s the matchup. I think uva could beat nova or wvu if that was the matchup. But that’s just my opinion, we will see how it plays out.

Reactions: GE Nole and jhmossy

Do we even get an invite at this point. Our two wins vs duke aren’t exactly looking great. Guess a win vs Vtech is the feather in our cap. Geeze that says it all.

Now we play Duke first in the AccT. Which is a lose/lose imo. Already beat em twice, have no one for hurt, and they HAVE to win.

Regardless only way we are going to the s16 is if we get matched up with a covid forfeit or two.

How many teams do we get in? 5-6?

Uva
FSU
Unc
VT
Louisville?
Clemson?
GT?

All of these teams seems in to me. Maybe Lousville is the most precarious of those teams since they are lowest in the NET.

Only one ACC team with a winning record on the road this year. This is what worries me about the NCAA tourney. Like Nole said, it'll most likely depend on matchups.

I didn’t see any of the WV game, but it’s pretty shocking that they could do that without Cunningham. I’m guessing they took them lightly.

Allowing 58% shooting is pitiful. WV’s not a very good defensive team. But when they’re hitting at a solid clip from outside, they’re very tough to deal with. Looks like they were uncharacteristically bad from three today.

I didn’t see any of the WV game, but it’s pretty shocking that they could do that without Cunningham. I’m guessing they took them lightly.

Allowing 58% shooting is pitiful. WV’s not a very good defensive team. But when they’re hitting at a solid clip from outside, they’re very tough to deal with. Looks like they were uncharacteristically bad from three today.

Dang that sounds a lot like FSU.

This was posted on UVA message board - TheSabre

In what has been a difficult season when our defense has been decent (KenPom #31), but significantly below what we have come to expect, UVa's ACC regular season championship is much more impressive than at first look.

At first look, UVA's 13-4 record in the ACC was solid but not dominating as we lost the same number of games as the 2nd place (Florida State as 11-4) and 3rd place team (Virginia Tech at 9-4). But a deeper dive really shows UVa's championship to be much more impressive.

I reviewed the top half of the ACC (UVa, FSU, VA Tech, GT, Clemson, UNC, Louisville, Syracuse, and NC State). A smile came to my face when _uke was nowhere to be found. I then compared each of these schools records against the top half of the ACC and some interesting facts were illuminated.

Virginia played the most games against the top half of the ACC with 11. Clemson also had 11 with Georgia Tech and UNC with 10. Second place FSU played 9 games and 3rd place VA Tech only played 5 games. Virginia also played the most away games against the top teams with 6. UNC also played 6 away games, with GT, Syracuse, and NC State playing 5. Second place FSU only played 4 games (and lost all four of them). 3rd place VA Tech only played 2 away games (losing both).

Virginia's schedule was much harder - having played the most number of games against the top half of the ACC and having played the most away games.

But, here is the real kicker: Virginia's record away from home was 4 - 2. The other eight teams went 4 - 27!!!. That's right. Virginia won 4 away games against the top half of the ACC and the other eight teams won 4 games combined and lost 27 games. That's incredible.

Virginia Tech (0-2), Clemson (0-4), UNC (0-6), and Louisville (0-2) did not win an away game against the top half of the ACC. Florida State (1-3), GT (1-4), Syracuse (1-4), and NC State (1-4) each won one game away from home against the top half of the ACC. Put another way, while UVa had a 67% winning percentage away from home against the top half of the ACC, the other top teams had a miserable winning percentage of 13%. Ouch.

I don't know what this means for the ACC and NCAA tournaments. I personally expect the ACC to be slaughtered in the NCAAs. FSU looks close to invincible at home, but terrible on the road. VA Tech played only 5 games against the top half of the ACC (losing their two away games). The rest of the teams look mediocre at best, although any team can get hot in the tournament.

Reactions: duckboy33

In what has been a difficult season when our defense has been decent (KenPom #31), but significantly below what we have come to expect, UVa's ACC regular season championship is much more impressive than at first look.

At first look, UVA's 13-4 record in the ACC was solid but not dominating as we lost the same number of games as the 2nd place (Florida State as 11-4) and 3rd place team (Virginia Tech at 9-4). But a deeper dive really shows UVa's championship to be much more impressive.

I reviewed the top half of the ACC (UVa, FSU, VA Tech, GT, Clemson, UNC, Louisville, Syracuse, and NC State). A smile came to my face when _uke was nowhere to be found. I then compared each of these schools records against the top half of the ACC and some interesting facts were illuminated.

Virginia played the most games against the top half of the ACC with 11. Clemson also had 11 with Georgia Tech and UNC with 10. Second place FSU played 9 games and 3rd place VA Tech only played 5 games. Virginia also played the most away games against the top teams with 6. UNC also played 6 away games, with GT, Syracuse, and NC State playing 5. Second place FSU only played 4 games (and lost all four of them). 3rd place VA Tech only played 2 away games (losing both).

Virginia's schedule was much harder - having played the most number of games against the top half of the ACC and having played the most away games.

But, here is the real kicker: Virginia's record away from home was 4 - 2. The other eight teams went 4 - 27!!!. That's right. Virginia won 4 away games against the top half of the ACC and the other eight teams won 4 games combined and lost 27 games. That's incredible.

Virginia Tech (0-2), Clemson (0-4), UNC (0-6), and Louisville (0-2) did not win an away game against the top half of the ACC. Florida State (1-3), GT (1-4), Syracuse (1-4), and NC State (1-4) each won one game away from home against the top half of the ACC. Put another way, while UVa had a 67% winning percentage away from home against the top half of the ACC, the other top teams had a miserable winning percentage of 13%. Ouch.

I don't know what this means for the ACC and NCAA tournaments. I personally expect the ACC to be slaughtered in the NCAAs. FSU looks close to invincible at home, but terrible on the road. VA Tech played only 5 games against the top half of the ACC (losing their two away games). The rest of the teams look mediocre at best, although any team can get hot in the tournament.

Never apologize for a conference championship

Good stuff.

But that guy seems to be equating road games with NCAAT games. Which isn’t really an equivalent situation. There’s no home team in the NCAAT.

Good stuff.

But that guy seems to be equating road games with NCAAT games. Which isn’t really an equivalent situation. There’s no home team in the NCAAT.

Yeah I think the NCAA extrapolation was too much. I was just surprised to see only 4 ACC road wins against top half of ACC by those teams combined. Road games in the ACC are really tough.

Yeah I think the NCAA extrapolation was too much. I was just surprised to see only 4 ACC road wins against top half of ACC by those teams combined. Road games in the ACC are really tough.

Yep. I think close to 70% of games in ACC this years were won by home team.

All-ACC Awards Announced

2020-21 ALL-ACC TEAM
FIRST TEAM
Name, School, Points

Moses Wright, Georgia Tech, 344
Justin Champagnie, Pitt, 343
Carlik Jones, Louisville, 327
Matthew Hurt, Duke, 310
Sam Hauser, Virginia, 281

SECOND TEAM
Name, School, Points

Keve Aluma, Virginia Tech, 277
Jose Alvarado, Georgia Tech, 244
Jay Huff, Virginia, 214
M.J. Walker, Florida State, 200
Aamir Simms, Clemson, 176

THIRD TEAM
Name, School, Points

RaiQuan Gray, Florida State, 167
Isaiah Wong, Miami, 102
Quincy Guerrier, Syracuse, 55
Prentiss Hubb, Notre Dame, 42
Armando Bacot, North Carolina, 41
Scottie Barnes, Florida State, 41

HONORABLE MENTION
Name, School, Points

Michael Devoe, Georgia Tech, 35
Kihei Clark, Virginia, 31
Alan Griffin, Syracuse, 29
David Johnson, Louisville, 22
Nate Laszewski, Notre Dame, 18
Jericole Hellems, NC State, 13
Tyrece Radford, Virginia Tech, 10

Note: All-ACC Team points are determined on a 5-3-1 system (five points for first team, three points for second team, one point for third team).

ACC PLAYER OF YEAR
Name, School, Votes

Moses Wright, Georgia Tech, 33
Carlik Jones, Louisville, 13
Justin Champagnie, Pitt, 13
Sam Hauser, Virginia, 5
Jose Alvarado, Georgia Tech, 4
Matthew Hurt, Duke, 3
Keve Aluma, Virginia Tech, 3
Jay Huff, Virginia, 1

ACC FRESHMAN OF THE YEAR
Name, School, Votes

Scottie Barnes, Florida State, 53
Day'Ron Sharpe, North Carolina, 10
DJ Steward, Duke, 6
Jae'Lyn Withers, Louisville, 5
Kadary Richmond, Syracuse, 1

ALL-DEFENSIVE TEAM
Name, School, Votes

Jose Alvarado, Georgia Tech, 69
Manny Bates, NC State, 62
Jay Huff, Virginia, 53
Jordan Goldwire, Duke, 43
Moses Wright, Georgia Tech, 34

ALL-FRESHMAN TEAM
Name, School, Votes

Scottie Barnes, Florida State, 74
DJ Steward, Duke, 67
Day'Ron Sharpe, North Carolina, 63
Jae'Lyn Withers, Louisville, 58
Caleb Love, North Carolina, 32

COACH OF THE YEAR
Name, School, Votes

Mike Young, Virginia Tech, 26
Leonard Hamilton, Florida State, 24
Josh Pastner, Georgia Tech, 16
Tony Bennett, Virginia, 6
Brad Brownell, Clemson, 2
Chris Mack, Louisville, 1

DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Name, School, Votes

Jose Alvarado, Georgia Tech, 35
Jay Huff, Virginia, 17
Manny Bates NC State, 13
Jordan Goldwire, Duke, 5
Aamir Simms, Clemson, 4
Keve Aluma, Virginia Tech, 1

MOST IMPROVED PLAYER
Name, School, Votes

Matthew Hurt, Duke, 17
Isaiah Wong, Miami, 13
Moses Wright, Georgia Tech, 11
Justin Champagnie, Pitt, 11
RaiQuan Gray, Florida State, 10
Nate Laszewski, Notre Dame, 5
Quincy Guerrier, Syracuse, 3
Armando Bacot, North Carolina, 2
Jay Huff, Virginia, 2
David Johnson, Louisville, 1

SIXTH MAN OF THE YEAR
Name, School, Votes

Scottie Barnes, Florida State, 39
Day'Ron Sharpe, North Carolina, 24
Nick Honor, Clemson, 6
Jordan Goldwire, Duke, 5
Nikola Djogo, Notre Dame, 1

Gray and Walker should have been flipped. Gray is a good bit more important to our overall success.

But on the whole these don’t look bad.

I picked UVA to win the ACC this year. But, not exactly the fashion I was expecting.

So, now all Duke has to do to earn a spot in the tournament is win 5 games in 5 days. No biggie. We got this. I mean, we've won 12 of the last 21 ACC Tournaments. The odds are clearly in our favor.

Trick question. Answer is "who f-ing cares?"

Seriously, I was looking at the bracket and there isn't a single game worth watching till a potential FSU vs UVA final. Amazing how far the ACC has fallen in a couple years.

Trick question. Answer is "who f-ing cares?"

Seriously, I was looking at the bracket and there isn't a single game worth watching till a potential FSU vs UVA final. Amazing how far the ACC has fallen in a couple years.
We ACC fans and Duke fans apologize for whatever happened to you or the school you root for at the hands of Duke and/or the ACC.

Ever think maybe now is the time to get over it.

Not so sure he’s but hurt as opposed to just telling the truth. The conf isn’t great. What other potential matchup is there, it’s the only two ranked teams.

The conference is pretty bad this year. UNC/Duke/Louisville/Syracuse are traditional powers greatly lower than they typically are. It's expected one or even two of those could be down in a given year, but all four at the same time?

Not so sure he’s but hurt as opposed to just telling the truth. The conf isn’t great. What other potential matchup is there, it’s the only two ranked teams.
Well, Duke had Zion, Cam and RJ last year along with the NC two years ago, so not sure how it has fallen so much. Virginia was top 10 ranked this year.

If he wants to say this year, I agree.

And if he is a DePaul fan, they havent been good in decades. Loved Terry Cummings.

We ACC fans and Duke fans apologize for whatever happened to you or the school you root for at the hands of Duke and/or the ACC.

Ever think maybe now is the time to get over it.

The school I root for? It's really not much a mystery given my screen name, genius.

let's see, I think the last time DePaul had a relevant game vs an ACC team was the 1984 tournament when we were upset by Virginia. Come to think of it, I am still mad about it. SCREW YOU OLDEN POLYNIECE!!!

Well, Duke had Zion, Cam and RJ last year along with the NC two years ago, so not sure how it has fallen so much. Virginia was top 10 ranked this year.

If he wants to say this year, I agree.

And if he is a DePaul fan, they havent been good in decades. Loved Terry Cummings.

Last year Zion, RJ and Reddish were in the NBA you dumbass.

The conference is pretty bad this year. UNC/Duke/Louisville/Syracuse are traditional powers greatly lower than they typically are. It's expected one or even two of those could be down in a given year, but all four at the same time?

It seems to be a current theme, all the traditionally great teams in the SEC are down this year as well.

Not to get off topic but is Syracuse down or is this just the program Syracuse has moving forward?

ADVERTISEMENT