ADVERTISEMENT

Which teams have overachieved/underachieved the most? Put it together using kenpom data

sdsufan10

Apr 11, 2013
So far A&M has underachieved the most and San Diego State has overachieved the most. And yes I'm a SDSU fan, here is all the data lol

That is based on their original estimation of where teams rank.

A&M has underachieved. Played them today and they are a lot better than their record.
They may have played their best game of the year against Texas but they have some athletes.

I didn't think Billy Kennedy deserved to be fired. Thought his peak there was as good as Buzz Williams could get them.
Take away Marquette because everyone wins there VA Tech wasn't a Top 20 caliber team for a lot of his time there.

SDSU is solid once again.
Saw them against Creighton and a little against Iowa.
Could end up in the Sweet 16 this year.

Had San Diego State at #47 in my preseason top 68. They were on my radar well before the start of the season. Flynn is one of the better point guards in America, and Schakel's jumper is smooth as butter. The matchups with Utah State should be really exciting this year. Hopefully Queta can regain his form and be back to his old self; I'd like to see both teams at 100%.

Didn't include Texas A&M in my top 68. I missed on a lot of teams, for sure. But I think I did better than most.

Here's how the conferences breakdown:

SEC (10):
4. Florida
5. Kentucky
12. LSU
28. Auburn
38. Alabama
41. Ole Miss
43. Tennessee
50. Georgia
55. Mississippi State
63. Arkansas

Big Ten (9):
1. Michigan State
10. Maryland
13. Ohio State
21. Illinois
24. Purdue
30. Michigan
49. Wisconsin
56. Iowa
60. Indiana

ACC (9):
3. Louisville
6. Duke
8. North Carolina
19. Virginia
27. NC State
34. Florida State
48. Notre Dame
62. Syracuse
67. Pittsburgh

Big XII (8):
2. Kansas
7. Texas Tech
15. Baylor
36. Texas
45. Oklahoma State
52. Iowa State
54. West Virginia
66. Oklahoma

Big East (8):
11. Seton Hall
17. Villanova
25. Marquette
29. Creighton
32. Xavier
40. Georgetown
53. Providence
58. Butler

Pac-12 (7):
9. Oregon
16. Arizona
33. Washington
35. Colorado
44. Southern Cal
59. Oregon State
65. Arizona State

American Athletic (4):

20. Memphis
37. Cincinnati
51. Houston
64. South Florida

Atlantic-10 (3):
18. VCU
39. Davidson
46. Dayton

Mountain West (3):
23. Utah State
47. San Diego State
57. New Mexico

West Coast (3):
14. Gonzaga
22. Saint Mary's
61. BYU

Others (4):
26. New Mexico State (WAC)
31. Harvard (Ivy)
42. Western Kentucky (Conference USA)
68. Liberty (Atlantic Sun)

Last edited:
A&M has underachieved. Played them today and they are a lot better than their record.
They may have played their best game of the year against Texas but they have some athletes.

I didn't think Billy Kennedy deserved to be fired. Thought his peak there was as good as Buzz Williams could get them.
Take away Marquette because everyone wins there VA Tech wasn't a Top 20 caliber team for a lot of his time there.

I really loved that 2018 Texas A&M team. They were a fun team to watch. I can't say too much on the current team, but they looked like hot trash against Gonzaga. I concluded after that game that I didn't need to watch anymore A&M games unless they pick up a couple of quality wins. Certainly you can't take away too much from just one game, but they did not look like a top 100 team against the Zags.

I do agree with the notion that Bill Kennedy didn't deserve the axe. A&M reached the Sweet 16 in two of his final four seasons. A&M has NEVER made the second weekend two times in the span of four years. I think they were kind of pleased that he did poorly in 2019 - knowing they could get rid of him and bring in a fairly big name. Also, don't think Bryce Drew should have been fired. SEC is going all-in on getting big-name coaches (albeit some, like Stackhouse, may be unproven).

I really loved that 2018 Texas A&M team. They were a fun team to watch. I can't say too much on the current team, but they looked like hot trash against Gonzaga. I concluded after that game that I didn't need to watch anymore A&M games unless they pick up a couple of quality wins. Certainly you can't take away too much from just one game, but they did not look like a top 100 team against the Zags.

I do agree with the notion that Bill Kennedy didn't deserve the axe. A&M reached the Sweet 16 in two of his final four seasons. A&M has NEVER made the second weekend two times in the span of four years. I think they were kind of pleased that he did poorly in 2019 - knowing they could get rid of him and bring in a fairly big name. Also, don't think Bryce Drew should have been fired. SEC is going all-in on getting big-name coaches (albeit some, like Stackhouse, may be unproven).

Letting Gilder go upset some people. You see the talent with some and you like the fact that he is trying to wear teams down on the defensive end but where is the offense.

You can take this for what it is but rumor is that former A&M AD and current LSU AD Scott Woodward fired Kennedy because he wanted to drain the rest of the money.
They are on a spending limit the next 1-3 years and are waiting a new TV football contract from the SEC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT