ADVERTISEMENT

What Does the Future Hold for the SEC?

WojoRising

Jul 3, 2015
Now that Stanford, Cal, and SMU are poised to join the ACC, how will the B1G and SEC respond to no longer being the premier conferences? They’ll probably never win a chess title again.

It’ll also be interesting to see how the 17 added west coast viewers reshapes the conference TV deals.

Last edited:
619am0.gif

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Past 9 NCAA Tournaments between Cal, Stanford, and SMU:

- 3 Combined NCAA Tournament Appearances
- 0 wins in the Tournament.

Obviously this is a football decision. But, none of those 3 schools are currently top 50 football programs. Stanford has brand value - and maybe getting into the state of California and Texas makes sense for expanding the footprint of the ACC. But, the schools we're bringing don't exactly excite me.

Past 9 NCAA Tournaments between Cal, Stanford, and SMU:

- 3 Combined NCAA Tournament Appearances
- 0 wins in the Tournament.

Obviously this is a football decision. But, none of those 3 schools are currently top 50 football programs. Stanford has brand value - and maybe getting into the state of California and Texas makes sense for expanding the footprint of the ACC. But, the schools we're bringing don't exactly excite me.
Honestly, I don't get it either. Not only are they on the opposite side of the country but like you alluded to, what value do they bring? TV markets? Dilution of funds with little return of entertainment value.

Not trying to compare, but SEC brought in Texas and Oklahoma. Both are going to be competitive in both sports. Never mind the money side of things.

I'm looking at it from a fan's perspective.

It is an act of desperation.

It will now be called the American Coasts Conference. It sure as hell ain't the Atlantic Coast Conference.

The B1G and the SEC are giving a lot of conferences heart burn. They are really going to own football and will be more than competitive in basketball and the other sports.

I doubt that the addition of those schools will add any TV market or little of anything else of value to the ACC. Again I think that it is an act of desperation.

The SEC needs to add a North Carolina and Virginia team and they will have the South East covered. I bet that if the SEC offered UNC, UVA, NC St or VA Tech membership in the SEC, they would not turn it down. Plus I feel that Florida State would jump to the SEC in a New York minute.

Just my views.

What other options does the ACC have?
Press Notre Dame to join???
Maybe an old Big East team?
They just don't have much to pick from.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
ADVERTISEMENT