ADVERTISEMENT

Well Kansas is a freaking lock for preseason #1...

KU’s roster is deep, experienced, talented and fits well. Self knocked it out of the park this year. He addressed the shooting issue they had from last year.

A starting 5 of Harris, Storr, Griffen, Adams and Dickinson with Zeke Mayo, Elmarko Jackson and Flory Bidunga is very formidable and deserves to be Preseason #1.

I've heard Riley Kugel has academic issues so not sure if he"ll stick on the team. Also, is Flory ok coming off the bench when he's a consensus top 10 recruit? Consensus top 10 HS recruits nearly always start in college so that'll be interesting to monitor. Bidunga can only play the 5 and Dickinson is clearly a college 5. Bill has an infatuation with KJ Adams so I doubt he wouldn't start.

Some services had Bidunga top 5 in his class at one point, but I think his composite is 14 right now. More importantly, I've heard his camp knows that he's a bit raw and doesn't expect him to start or play huge minutes as a freshman.

A week or so ago, I was hearing that Kugel probably wouldn't make it, but apparently they're a lot more optimistic about it now.

Look at the top 5 for Jeff Borzello's way-too early top 25. This was before Hunter Dickinson announced he was returning, FWIW.

1. Houston
2. Kansas
3. Iowa State
4. Gonzaga
5. Baylor

4 of the top 5 from the Big 12 lol. So as good as KU's preseason roster is, winning the Big 12 won't be a cakewalk. A team like Houston or Kansas could very well finish 4th in league play.

I just assumed Dickinson would be back. Were people surprised by that announcement? Kansas will be stacked.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
Look at the top 5 for Jeff Borzello's way-too early top 25. This was before Hunter Dickinson announced he was returning, FWIW.

1. Houston
2. Kansas
3. Iowa State
4. Gonzaga
5. Baylor

4 of the top 5 from the Big 12 lol. So as good as KU's preseason roster is, winning the Big 12 won't be a cakewalk. A team like Houston or Kansas could very well finish 4th in league play.

Not sure how deep the Big 12's going to be this year, but the top will be tough. Baylor's probably got some work to do before they're a legit top 5 team though. Really talented guards, but not much in the frontcourt. I think they're expecting to land Aidoo.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I like KU's roster to start but I think I prefer Duke's roster once March rolls around due the major upside we have.

Duke has 5 major outs:

1) Tyrese Proctor becomes an All-American like he was supposed to as a Soph. There’s flop lag and he achieves that as a Junior.

2) Caleb Foster take the classic Duke 5 star sophomore guard leap and becomes an All-American just like Grayson Allen, Luke Kennard and Tre Jones.

3) Cooper Flagg lives up to his generational recruit billing and is as good as KD, Wall, Melo, Zion, AD and DRose were as freshmen.

4) Darren Harris, Kon or Isaiah Evans outplay their recruiting rankings and are as good as Reed Sheppard, Rob Dillingham or Jared McCain as freshmen. Is this likely? No but we’ve got 3 talented top 30 frosh 5 stars and we only need 1 of them to significantly exceed expectations.

5) Khaman Maluach ends up as good as end of freshman year Derek Lively, end of freshman year Joel Embiid at KU or soph year Mark Williams.

Its extremely unlikely that none of these things happen or all of these things happen but the likeliest outcome is that 2 of these things happen.

If 3 or 4 of the upside scenarios happen then I think Duke is clearly the team to beat. If only 1 of those scenarios comes to fruition, Duke will be behind KU, Iowa St, Houston, etc.

I understood the pre season 1 stuff last year with Morris. The thought was Timberlake would be legit too.

This year is different though. The depth is there. The proven talent is there.

Storr and Griffen are not Morris and Timberlake. Kugel does have academic stuff but it sounds like it will get worked out.

The roster construction this year is perfect. No guarantee’s they win the title but they will be elite.

Flory is fine with coming off the bench. His camp knows he has a lot of work to do on his game and is planning for two years

Not sure how deep the Big 12's going to be this year, but the top will be tough. Baylor's probably got some work to do before they're a legit top 5 team though. Really talented guards, but not much in the frontcourt. I think they're expecting to land Aidoo.

I expect Aidoo will be at Baylor. But, the longer this drags on, you start to wonder. He would probably put them in top 5 consideration. So, there's Kansas-Houston-Baylor-Iowa State - and now Arizona is in the mix, too. All 5 of those schools could be in the preseason top 10.

Outside of those 5 schools, you could have a bunch of so-so teams. Cincinnati could be a team on the rise, though. They bring back a lot of talent.

KU looks formidable, though they have always managed to somehow underperform in March in the past, before or with Bill Self. There’s something about this team lacking championship DNA, and it’s already a miracle Bill Self managed 2 national titles for KU. Imagine what he could’ve done in a school with championship DNA like UConn, Duke, Kentucky and UNC.

KU looks formidable, though they have always managed to somehow underperform in March in the past, before or with Bill Self. There’s something about this team lacking championship DNA, and it’s already a miracle Bill Self managed 2 national titles for KU. Imagine what he could’ve done in a school with championship DNA like UConn, Duke, Kentucky and UNC.

0/10

1 more title with twice as many NBA dudes = “championship DNA.” 😆

0/10

1 more title with twice as many NBA dudes = “championship DNA.” 😆
Well let’s not pretend KU were that much better in March even when you had NBA talents, it’s not just Bill Self’s KU that choked in NCAA tournaments. To think KU had only 2 titles before Bill Self is quite a shocking revelation, they couldn’t win with Roy Williams who’s been a great tournament coach with UNC.

Well let’s not pretend KU were that much better in March even when you had NBA talents, it’s not just Bill Self’s KU that choked in NCAA tournaments.

Wasn’t just talking about the last few years, killer. Duke’s had far and away more NBA talent for decades.

To think KU had only 2 titles before Bill Self is quite a shocking revelation, they couldn’t win with Roy Williams who’s been a great tournament coach with UNC.

Hope you’re sitting down for this. Duke had just won their 3rd two years before Self was hired. UConn had 1. Guess UConn didn’t get the memo that they had championship DNA til their 99th season. 😂

Alabama just might rule the SEC for awhile…
the-joker-heath-ledger.gif

Sears is a great player that has declared for the draft. There is no reason to believe that he won't get a good grade and a high placement.
he is also 6’1” and the NBA stays away fro the shorter guards. I hope he makes it, but don’t expect him to.

Men's Basketball SEC Champions

SCHOOL YEAR
REGULAR-SEASON CHAMPION
TOURNAMENT CHAMPION

2020-21AlabamaAlabama
2021-22AuburnTennessee
2022-23AlabamaAlabama
2023-24TennesseeAuburn

Alabama NCAA Tournament Results

SCHOOL YEAR
School
NCAA Tournament Results

2020-21AlabamaSweet 16
2021-22AlabamaRound 64
2022-23AlabamaSweet 16
2023-24AlabamaFinal 4

Last edited:
PG: Dajuan Harris jr
SG: Zeke Mayo
SF: AJ Storr
PF: KJ Adams
C: Hunter Dickinson

Bench:
Rylan Griffen SF
Riley Kugel SG
Rekease Passamore F
Flory Bidunga C

This is the deepest and best team Self has had in a while. Lot of experience as well
That's what happens when "paying players is no longer illegal".

They can still cheat, just out in the open now, and under the guise of NIL/transfer portal.............

• Haha
Reactions: ABVolsFan92
Men's Basketball SEC Champions

SCHOOL YEAR
REGULAR-SEASON CHAMPION
TOURNAMENT CHAMPION

2020-21AlabamaAlabama
2021-22AuburnTennessee
2022-23AlabamaAlabama
2023-24TennesseeAuburn

Alabama NCAA Tournament Results

SCHOOL YEAR
School
NCAA Tournament Results

2020-21AlabamaSweet 16
2021-22AlabamaRound 64
2022-23AlabamaSweet 16
2023-24AlabamaFinal 4
Past success does not guarantee future success.

Wasn’t just talking about the last few years, killer. Duke’s had far and away more NBA talent for decades.

Hope you’re sitting down for this. Duke had just won their 3rd two years before Self was hired. UConn had 1. Guess UConn didn’t get the memo that they had championship DNA til their 99th season. 😂
6>4

Reactions: Deepelm
That's what happens when "paying players is no longer illegal".

They can still cheat, just out in the open now, and under the guise of NIL/transfer portal.............

I know you want this to be true, but it’s a reach. Making cheating legal wouldn’t give the cheaters an extra advantage. It levels the playing field for the rest.

Last edited:
Past success does not guarantee future success.
So what criteria would you use to predict the SEC? I was thinking current head coach, current roster, and recent success which is a result of coaching ability. Who has the better combination of that than Alabama in the SEC?

So what criteria would you use to predict the SEC? I was thinking current head coach, current roster, and recent success which is a result of coaching ability. Who has the better combination of that than Alabama in the SEC?
I don't see anyone dominating the SEC going forward. It has become a much deeper league in recent years and this crazy world of NIL/free agency leading to drastic roster turnover every year is going to largely dismantle continuity. That goes for any league though. I think the days of conference domination are over.

Reactions: Random UK Fan

You really need to sit this one out.

Joe Lunardi has updated his bracketology for next year, KU looks like a clear favorite for overall top seed. They should be very good in regular season, though when it comes to March…

Joe Lunardi has updated his bracketology for next year, KU looks like a clear favorite for overall top seed. They should be very good in regular season, though when it comes to March…

Yeah, good call. It's been such a long time since KU won anything in March. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: KisteK
When you combine depth and talent, it's probably the best team they've had since at least 2011.
The #1 overall seed rarely wins it all, and with the portal, there's more competition than ever.
They have as good of a shot as anyone, but anything can happen on March.
Will be interesting to see how fast they can gel together. A lot of new faces takes awhile to adjust, no matter how talented they are.

ADVERTISEMENT