ADVERTISEMENT

UNC lands Bacot!

Funny this is coming up... the NYT just wrote about UNC and their various scandals just today. What timing!

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/17/sports/north-carolina-suspensions-shoes.html

The deeply disappointed University of North Carolina is the same temple of higher learning that was discovered to have indulged in two decades of mass academic fraud, providing fake classes and guaranteed passing grades for dozens of basketball and football stars. Euphemistically known as paper classes, the courses offered by the African and Afro-American Studies Department required no attendance, perhaps a rudimentary paper and little to no conscious thought. The bottom line was transactional: Allow athletes to keep their grades at the minimum needed to let them sweat and compete for the university.

It goes on. It’s not pretty.

Not worried about it.

Reactions: uncfan in ky
UNC has been able to get some kids back recently that have eluded UK and Duke. Justin Jackson, Kennedy Meeks, Theo Pinson, Joel Berry, Hicks and Paige...the core of those runner up and title teams...I’m not sure any of those guys see a third year at uk or Duke.

I think it’s largely in the recruiting pitch. Cal’s pitch is almost 100% nba preparation. I suspected Roy isn’t using that so much so their guys don’t feel like failures if they have to come back. Has bacot said something to indicate otherwise?

UNC has been able to get some kids back recently that have eluded UK and Duke. Justin Jackson, Kennedy Meeks, Theo Pinson, Joel Berry, Hicks and Paige...the core of those runner up and title teams...I’m not sure any of those guys see a third year at uk or Duke.

I think it’s largely in the recruiting pitch. Cal’s pitch is almost 100% nba preparation. I suspected Roy isn’t using that so much so their guys don’t feel like failures if they have to come back. Has bacot said something to indicate otherwise?

Cal and K will recruit over players that’s why their roster turnover is so high. Your statement about Roy is way off but keep speculating and Bacot has said he would like to be a OAD. The players you mentioned about not seeing a third year at UK or Duke is misleading. Neither of those players weren’t mentioned in any mock drafts and if they went to those schools they would of got recruited over. The OAD players that went to Duke or UK could of went anywhere and still got drafted.

Wasn’t worried when it was going on & I’m sure as hell not worried 10 moths after the NCAA cleared UNC.
Never cleared UNC. Just didn't hold them accountable due to technicalities. UNC found a way to cheat by including a few students that were not athletes in their fake classes. Louisville screwed up by not including students that were not athletes in the prostitute scandal. Otherwise they would have skated like UNC. You must feel proud that everyone else knows you cheated and got away with it.

Cal and K will recruit over players that’s why their roster turnover is so high. Your statement about Roy is way off but keep speculating and Bacot has said he would like to be a OAD. The players you mentioned about not seeing a third year at UK or Duke is misleading. Neither of those players weren’t mentioned in any mock drafts and if they went to those schools they would of got recruited over. The OAD players that went to Duke or UK could of went anywhere and still got drafted.

I’m not saying they wouldn’t see a third year because they’d develop better. I’m saying they leave whether they’re ready or not.

Does UNC not recruit over players? Bacot is a center. Do they not have a single center on the roster for next year? What about the guard from Carolina? Are you guys not recruiting over him by pursueing Cole Anthony?

Reactions: tw3301
I’m not saying they wouldn’t see a third year because they’d develop better. I’m saying they leave whether they’re ready or not.

Does UNC not recruit over players? Bacot is a center. Do they not have a single center on the roster for next year? What about the guard from Carolina? Are you guys not recruiting over him by pursueing Cole Anthony?

The guard from NC on the roster is Coby White and he is from NC. He's a combo guard who can play the 1, 2 or the 3. Sterling Manley is a center and he's 6'11, had leg problems through out HS and his ranking wasn't high at all. When I said Cal and K recruit over kids, they recruit over kids who were highly ranked the year before. I guess you can say Roy does it but the kids he recruits over aren't 5 star players.

The guard from NC on the roster is Coby White and he is from NC. He's a combo guard who can play the 1, 2 or the 3. Sterling Manley is a center and he's 6'11, had leg problems through out HS and his ranking wasn't high at all. When I said Cal and K recruit over kids, they recruit over kids who were highly ranked the year before. I guess you can say Roy does it but the kids he recruits over aren't 5 star players.
Does that make it better?

Just as you said White can play multiple positions, so he's not being recruited over, is the same as most kids you say are being recruited over at Duke and UK. They too can play multiple positions.

Now that the black cloud is not hurting UNC's recruiting as much, they're going to start landing more 5 stars, and those 5 stars will translate to UNC recruiting the same as UK,Duke, and KU. OAD recruiting/turnover is a part of top tier basketball.

With that said, I think White and Little are both OAD's so White isn't being recruited over. Roy is trying to get a replacement. Joining the OAD club of coaches. It's not a bad thing. It's more of a bad thing to high level recruits if you can't reach your dreams asap....and get that second contract.

Last edited:
Reactions: tw3301
Never cleared UNC. Just didn't hold them accountable due to technicalities. UNC found a way to cheat by including a few students that were not athletes in their fake classes. Louisville screwed up by not including students that were not athletes in the prostitute scandal. Otherwise they would have skated like UNC. You must feel proud that everyone else knows you cheated and got away with it.
You do that more regular students took AFAM
classes than athletes? You’re way off by saying that they included a few regular students, actually it’s the opposite.

You do that more regular students took AFAM
classes than athletes? You’re way off by saying that they included a few regular students, actually it’s the opposite.
What percent of the regular student body took those fake classes compared to the percentage of players?
  • Nearly 40 percent of students enrolled in questionable AFAM classes were football and basketball players.
  • That compares to 4% of the regular student body taking AFAM classes.
  • Wonder why the percentage is extremely high for athletes. Nothing to see here.
  • As to the argument that this scandal was not about athletics, even the gummy N.C.A.A. did not go that far.

Its report noted that the university had, in fact, run one of the worst academic scams in recent history, and that “the classes disproportionately favored student-athlete enrollments” with a pleasing effect on the athletes’ grade point averages.

Last edited:
What percent of the regular student body took those fake classes compared to the percentage of players?
  • Nearly 40 percent of students enrolled in questionable AFAM classes were football and basketball players.
  • Wonder why the percentage is extremely high for athletes. Nothing to see here.
  • As to the argument that this scandal was not about athletics, even the gummy N.C.A.A. did not go that far.

Its report noted that the university had, in fact, run one of the worst academic scams in recent history, and that “the classes disproportionately favored student-athlete enrollments” with a pleasing effect on the athletes’ grade point averages.
they're never going to acknowledge it. no reason to keep it going. UNC will UNC.

Reactions: Scotty00

47.4% of enrollment was athletes. 52.6% were regular students.

Did Roy recruit over any of those guys you mentioned?
Did the investigation actually help UNC?
(Since some link the investigation to tougher recruiting times)

Duke currently sitting with a 5* JR big yet has/d two highly ranked transfer-out kids (Jeter, USC guy)..

I'm not sold it's the pitch vs the push.

Reactions: Scotty00
47.4% of enrollment was athletes. 52.6% were regular students.
How dense can you be. There were over 18000 students at UNC and less than 100 basketball and football players. With 47% of the enrollment being athletes that is a huge percentage of athletes attending compared to the overall student body of over 18k.There definitely was not 9000 regular students taking AFAM classes. Did you attend UNC and take those fake classes? You may be able to sue them for failure to provide you an education.

Last edited:
How dense can you be. There were over 18000 students at UNC and less than 100 basketball and football players. With 47% of the enrollment being athletes that is a huge percentage of athletes attending compared to the overall student body of over 18k.There definitely was not 9000 regular students taking AFAM classes. Did you attend UNC and take those fake classes? You may be able to sue them for failure to provide you an education.
Athletes get funneled into easy classes at every University. You have about a 50% chance of being a communications major as an athlete

Damn junior, I do admire your willingness to fight a good fight but damn try to keep up. Damn read your own math again and get back to us. SMDH!

There was roughly 3100 enrollments in the AFAM classes. 47% of them were athletic, 53% were regular students.
THERE WERE MORE REGULAR STUDENTS THAN ATHLETES

Funny this is coming up... the NYT just wrote about UNC and their various scandals just today. What timing!
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/17/sports/north-carolina-suspensions-shoes.html

The deeply disappointed University of North Carolina is the same temple of higher learning that was discovered to have indulged in two decades of mass academic fraud, providing fake classes and guaranteed passing grades for dozens of basketball and football stars. Euphemistically known as paper classes, the courses offered by the African and Afro-American Studies Department required no attendance, perhaps a rudimentary paper and little to no conscious thought. The bottom line was transactional: Allow athletes to keep their grades at the minimum needed to let them sweat and compete for the university.

It goes on. It’s not pretty.
giphy.gif

jesus you're dumb. we're talking percentages, not pure numbers.
Ya because is you talk pure numbers, you’ll see that more regular students took the classes than athletes. That blows up your argument that UNC got away with cheating by putting “ A FEW” regular students in them.

There was roughly 3100 enrollments in the AFAM classes. 47% of them were athletic, 53% were regular students.
THERE WERE MORE REGULAR STUDENTS THAN ATHLETES
You are too dense to understand. We are talking percentages of the student body. This is all you need to know. This statement is directly from the NCAA report.

Reactions: SloppyHopkins
I was a college athlete. I took some easy classes but I never took classes in which I received A's and did not have to attend class

Where did you go and what sport? All your posts is about UNC, just like another UK poster. Obsession is a terrible thing Junior.

Where did you go and what sport? All your posts is about UNC, just like another UK poster. Obsession is a terrible thing Junior.
This is all you need to know about UNC cheating. This is directly from the NCAA report on UNC cheating.

This is all you need to know about UNC cheating. This is directly from the NCAA report on UNC cheating.

Laughing

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT