ADVERTISEMENT

UK vs UGA gamethread

Didn't watch much of the game....Was dealing with my ****ing frozen drain!!! I did see the play where UGA player was tripped. That's a big(no call). But that doesn't keep you from playing defense. They allowed Gabriel a wide open look---he hit it.

The fact you dont call a trip, UGA down 3, gets tripped and a no call is hilarious. Go back and watch it. He was clearly tripped. Led to a Uk 3. Ballgame.
You're calling out the one call that COULD have been called on UK, did you see the worst charge call ever made in cbb? Guess you were away from the TV getting another glass of WHINE when that and the other 18 bad calls happened. UK did not get the home cooking that you think happened.

Most positive thing so far this season is SGA stepping up. Reminds me a bit of Gerald Fitch / Bogans type.

You're calling out the one call that COULD have been called on UK, did you see the worst charge call ever made in cbb? Guess you were away from the TV getting another glass of WHINE when that and the other 18 bad calls happened. UK did not get the home cooking that you think happened.
Just curious...Do you think UK has eve gotten "home cooking"? Or been the beneficiary of a favorble whistle?

Yes. Do you think UK has ever been the recipient of a bad whistle?

Works both ways
It certainly does. And yes, absolutely UK has been the recipient of a bad whistle. As has IU, DUke, UNC, UL, and so an so on.

I only asked the question because you always seem very defensve when it comes to this.

ever team has at some point
not against UGA and definitely not against UL

go look at the Gabriel charge and get back with us
That's a bad call----as in singular. Getting a "tough/bad" whistle is different than a single call.

I didn't see much of the game; final 2 minutes to be exact. I felt the UGA kid was tripped. Maybe he wasn't. But ti sure seemed there was contact.

Like I said, I only asked b/c some of you get quite defensive when it's insinuated UK gets or got a favorable whistle. Heck even some of your own fans feel you did. No biggie. Just a question.

That's a bad call----as in singular. Getting a "tough/bad" whistle is different than a single call.

I didn't see much of the game; final 2 minutes to be exact. I felt the UGA kid was tripped. Maybe he wasn't. But ti sure seemed there was contact.

Like I said, I only asked b/c some of you get quite defensive when it's insinuated UK gets or got a favorable whistle. Heck even some of your own fans feel you did. No biggie. Just a question.

the trip that you called out was also singular

most of the time the good/bad calls even out in a game
every now-n-then that is not the case for varying reasons
sometimes it is a bias against a school or coach
sometimes as we have seen in the past gambling is the reason

all men are not honorable, not even in officiating

i and some other uk fans bragged about farnham, and he felt in fear of his job at espin for that. kind of like greg doyel a few years ago.

It certainly does. And yes, absolutely UK has been the recipient of a bad whistle. As has IU, DUke, UNC, UL, and so an so on.

I only asked the question because you always seem very defensve when it comes to this.
Who, me?

I just watched the trip in super slow-mo and even then it was very difficult to tell if Diallo made contact, but he did. They were both stepping for the same spot and Diallo's foot got there late as he was coming off a screen. Should've been called, it wasn't. Same as the bad call against Gabriel that actually took 2 (and possibly 3) points off the board for UK.

the trip that you called out was also singular

most of the time the good/bad calls even out in a game
Yes it was. But I only saw the last 2 minutes of the game. Which I stated. I cannot comment on the other 38 minutes. I didn't see them.

I agree that calls usually do even out.

I just watched the trip in super slow-mo and even then it was very difficult to tell if Diallo made contac, but he did. They were both stepping for the same spot and Diallo's foot got there late as he was coming off a screen. Should've been called, it wasn't. Same as the bad call against Gabriel that actually took 2 (and possibly 3) points off the board for UK.
In fairness Kevin, a trip can sometimes be a hard call to make/see. I've missed that call a few times myself. And both ways. Calling a trip with zero contact. Or not calling it with contact. It can be a tough call.

You realize that is a product of constantly driving the lane, right? Shooting fouls are always (at least) 2 shots (not talking about And-1, obviously). It's not like missing the front end of a 1 and 1. The FT disparity argument always makes me laugh. It's a complete difference in style of play that leads to it. It sounds like you are trying to say those were ghost fouls? Let's see the video proof.
I hope this is used in the same sense when everybody cries about Duke getting all the calls.

Just curious...Do you think UK has eve gotten "home cooking"? Or been the beneficiary of a favorble whistle?
I do and I don't like it. I don't want any advantages. I want officials to be better at their jobs, because quite frankly, they aren't very good at their jobs at times.
I can't believe how erratic they are and how none of them can tell the difference between an acting job and a legit foul.
But the bottom line is every team gets home cooking, their fans just don't like it when their team is on the wrong side of those bad calls. UK didn't get home cooking today and anyone that thinks they did has an agenda.

In fairness Kevin, a trip can sometimes be a hard call to make/see. I've missed that call a few times myself. And both ways. Calling a trip with zero contact. Or not calling it with contact. It can be a tough call.
Yes, either way it would have been a difficult call for the refs. I had to run the slow-mo and get my blind ass up off the couch and get right in front of my TV before I saw it. Sure, it was obvious he tripped in real time, but it wasn't obvious whether it was because of Diallo or if he tripped himself.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
I hope this is used in the same sense when everybody cries about Duke getting all the calls.
I'm not saying there aren't times when teams get a favorable whistle, but citing FT disparity in an effort to illustrate that point is just ignorant. A team can have 6 fewer FT's just for missing the front end of 1&1's. Maybe a team is racking up &1's and only shooting one at the line. Maybe they foul a few 3-point shooters. Maybe there were technical fouls. Etc, Etc, Etc. There are many different reasons for FT disparity to occur and it is very, very rarely due to bad officiating. The fact is this, people are always going to see this from a biased point of view no matter what. Usually it's because their team lost and they are salty or a team they hate won and they are salty.

I do and I don't like it. I don't want any advantages. I want officials to be better at their jobs, because quite frankly, they aren't very good at their jobs at times.
I can't believe how erratic they are and how none of them can tell the difference between an acting job and a legit foul.
Maybe guys like you should become officials. Apparently you CAN tell the difference an acting job and a legit foul. Or wouldn't be as erratic. I mean its easy to call the game at home. Try doing it sometime in front of 24,000 people, from the floor. Not at home with an elevated view, and 19 instant replay camera's.

I'm not saying there aren't times when teams get a favorable whistle, but citing FT disparity in an effort to illustrate that point is just ignorant. A team can have 6 fewer FT's just for missing the front end of 1&1's. Maybe a team is racking up &1's and only shooting one at the line. Maybe they fouls a few 3-point shooters. Maybe there were technical fouls. Etc, Etc, Etc. There are many different reasons for FT disparity to occur and it is very, very rarely due to bad officiating. The fact is this, people are always going to see this from a biased point of view no matter what. Usually it's because their team lost and they are salty or a team they hate won and they are salty.
FT disparity doesn't always tell the story. I mean you could actually have two teams with the same amount of fouls, but one team having a significant advantage at the line.

Example:

Team A has 6 fouls. So does team B. But A team has shot 12 free throws. Team B 2.

How? Well probably b/c all of Team B's fouls were committed in the act of shooting. WHile Team A only committed one foul in the act of shooting. Therefore you have two teams with the same amount of fouls, but a huge disparity in FTA.

Reactions: mebeblue2
FT disparity doesn't always tell the story. I mean you could actually have two teams with the same amount of fouls, but one team having a significant advantage at the line.

Example:

Team A has 6 fouls. So does team B. But A team has shot 12 free throws. Team B 2.

How? Well probably b/c all of Team B's fouls were committed in the act of shooting. WHile Team A only committed one foul in the act of shooting. Therefore you have two teams with the same amount of fouls, but a huge disparity in FTA.
Exactly, which is why citing FT disparity is stupid.

Yes, either way it would have been a difficult call for the refs. I had to run the slow-mo and get my blind ass up off the couch and get right in front of my TV before I saw it. Sure, it was obvious he tripped in real time, but it wasn't obvious whether it was because of Diallo or if he tripped himself.
You’re reaching now blind man. Laughing

The game was hard to watch. But at a point in the 2nd half every time we went to the bucket and missed they called a foul and we got free throws so it's hard for me as a Kentucky fan to complain. The Gabriel charge was atrocious though. And I really was pretty peeved at the block on Diallo when Maten ran him over. Call could have went either way tbh but Maten was out of control. They threw the ball to him in a bad spot and he trucked Diallo. We've had that go against us several times.

Either way, glad we got a win. With a team this young that's guaranteed to take their share of losses ill take the wins however we can get them.

real-mad.gif

Im just saying you aren't shooting 40 ft's on the road...

And im just saying that buying hookers won't bring in five stars...

Maybe guys like you should become officials. Apparently you CAN tell the difference an acting job and a legit foul. Or wouldn't be as erratic. I mean its easy to call the game at home. Try doing it sometime in front of 24,000 people, from the floor. Not at home with an elevated view, and 19 instant replay camera's.
I would do a better job. Sorry, I'm confident in my abilities to do better than this. I don't give a rip how many fans are in the stands, make the right call.
https://www.aseaofblue.com/platform...harge-block-call-basketball-history-jay-bilas

How about this one? UK lost this game by 1 in the FF and there were many more in that game that were just as bad.
http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Graphics/Officials/John_Higgins.gif
What call would you have made there? Sorry, that's just bad. Are you going to tell me he made that call because there was an excessive amount of people in the stands? No, it's because he's either got an agenda or he's not very good at his job. You tell me.
I see this crap way too often.
It'll try to find the one in yesterday's game where Sasha K Jones was ran right over, fully set, was in the spot for a couple of seconds and got called for a block. Absolutely awful call.
I'm only posting calls against UK here, but this crap happens to every team. Officials have to get better, they are determining the outcome in too many games.

Last edited:
I would do a better job. Sorry, I'm confident in my abilities to do better than this. I don't give a rip how many fans are in the stands, make the right call.

No, no you wouldn't. But to be fair, I guess I should ask----what experience do you have? HS? Jr. High? YMCA games? What? At what level have you worked?

Also, you don't give a "rip" how many fans are in the stands? Really? That's weird. Funny how we talked about tough it is for teams to play at Rupp, AH, AFH,Cameron, etc, etc...Because of the atmosphere. But you don't think that can also effect officials?

I have nothing more for you. If you think you can do a better job than guys who've worked multiple Regional finals, Final Four an National title games, then well dude you need to quit the job you have now, get certified, and get after it. There's a ton of money to be made with a guy of your talents.

Refs should have to take a Naismithatic Oath which would say in part "no harm, no foul".

https://www.aseaofblue.com/platform...harge-block-call-basketball-history-jay-bilas

How about this one? UK lost this game by 1 in the FF and there were many more in that game that were just as bad.
What call would you have made there? Sorry, that's just bad. Are you going to tell me he made that call because there was an excessive amount of people in the stands? No, it's because he's either got an agenda or he's not very good at his job. You tell me.
It'll try to find the one in yesterday's game where Sasha K Jones was ran right over, fully set, was in the spot for a couple of seconds and got called for a block. Absolutely awful call.
I'm only posting calls against UK here, but this crap happens to every team. Officials have to get better, they are determining the outcome in too many games.
Where you from Jeff? Tell ya what, I'll work a game with you. C'mon, down. I'll pay for your summer league fee's , and you can woek some summer, NCAA D1 league games with me. Also, I work a lot of local MS games here in my hometown. No license needed. Come down. I'll pay all your expenses. You can officiate a few games. Hell even better, I'll pay the $250 camp fee for NCAA basketball.

Just let me know big guy.

I would do a better job. Sorry, I'm confident in my abilities to do better than this..
Here's the ending of my game Friday night. What would you have called?

Edit: I'm the lead official(under the goal).

Where you from Jeff? Tell ya what, I'll work a game with you. C'mon, down. I'll pay for your summer league fee's , and you can woek some summer, NCAA D1 league games with me. Also, I work a lot of local MS games here in my hometown. No license needed. Come down. I'll pay all your expenses. You can officiate a few games. Hell even better, I'll pay the $250 camp fee for NCAA basketball.

Challenge offered!
Challenge accepted @kyjeff1??? ;)

Don't be an ass borden, in order to work games at that level, you have to have an extensive amount of experience. Nobody can just jump right in and be great with no experience.
Did you open the links and view the two clips? Post tour thoughts on those clips please. That's what I asked you to do.
What are your thoughts on those two clips? That kinda crap happens too often and I'm not out of line when I say they need more training and more accountability.
Coaches and players have to do press conferences and answer for their performance. An official can make a series of bad calls that cost a team a win, but they can just walk to their cars and go home.
I run a business, been building cell tower sites since 1988, if I make a mistake it could cost someone their life or it could cost my business a lot of money. I earned the position I have through lots of hard work, good decisions, experience and aggressiveness. Nobody is going to come into this business and do what I'm doing with no experience and I know that officiating (all work fields actually) takes experience for an individual to be successful. All these officials have extensive experience, but that doesn't mean they are properly trained and if they were held accountable, I don't think they would make some of the calls they make at times.
Open the links and watch the clips and try to tell me that those calls weren't utterly ridiculous. Please try to defend the calls that were made there. I could post video clips just like those all day long.
Sorry, I know you're an official and you are going to defend your brothers, but if you're going to deny the fact that they need better training and accountability than you're just being biased.

Just an FYI, I can only post once every hour or so, it's saying that since I am not a paying member that I can only submit a certain amount of posts per day.

https://www.aseaofblue.com/platform/amp/2017/12/31/16837218/wenyen-gabriel-victim-charge-block-call-basketball-history-jay-bilas

The call vs Gabriel is bad. The worst in the history? No. But that's Bilas being Bilas.

Higgins call? Meh....IDK.Does seem that MAYBE UK player may have given a slight push to the back. But who kows. And what I would've called? In real time, I dunno. But being able to watch it 500 x's over and over, in HD....Probably a travel. But here's the thing. Officials don't have that luxury. You have a split second to make a call. And realize as well, sometimes no matter how small the contact is, you have to determine if said contact had an impact. Maybe he felt it did.

Don't be an ass borden, in order to work games at that level, you have to have an extensive amount of experience. Nobody can just jump right in and be great with no experience.

I run a business, been building cell tower sites since 1988, if I make a mistake it could cost someone their life.
Sorry, I know you're an official and you are going to defend your brothers, but if you're going to deny the fact that they need better training and accountability than you're just being biased.

A. Bolded part is exactly why what you said(You could do a better job) was asinine.

B. Why some of you want to compare your job,and the risk they have, to that of a CBB official drives me crazy. It's apples to oranges.

C. I defend officials when I feel it is needed. But mostly I defend the difficulty of the job. It's tough. Officials are right more often than they are wrong. The perception of officiating being terrible is due to the fact that every single bad call is shown over and over and over. How many times have you seen a really good call shown time and time again?
D. Better training is not needed. The clinics are very thorough. The off season requirements are very detailed. During the season, every single game that you work is reviewed. You are then required to attend a webinar, going over what was missed. What was good. What you could've done better. What IS needed is for NCAA officials to become employee's, instead of contractors. Which could lead to you being, well, FIRED if your performance isn't up to par. Speaking of that, officials are held accountable. You are graded after every single game. If you are given poor marks, reviews, etc, etc....you could be subject to losing conference games, tourney games. It also effects your possible tournament assignments. You may only work the 1st round if your reviews are not up to par. You may not work the tourney at all. You may just work conference tourney's.....maybe not.

There are issues that need attention. TBH, I think one of the biggest issues is the constant changing of the rules. Leave them alone. QUit changing them every year or two. Don't leave such a grey area in some of the rules. Make it to the point. This is HOW it is. Not, "well IF this or that".

Officiating is going to always be criticized. That will never change. Bad calls are part of the game. Just like missed shots, turnovers, missed free throws, missed block outs, blown defensive assignments; Which IMO play a much larger role than a handful of bad calls.

I wasn't being an ass, bro. I was just pointing out how stupid your comment was.

Happy New year, Jeff.

Kentucky beats Louisville by 30 and a good Georgia team and falls a spot in the AP
In fairness, you sometimes have to consider what teams bleow them do. I haven't seen the polls, so I don't know. But I do feel sometimes fans overlook this aspect. Also, UL's not that good, TBH. UGA on the other hand is decent. But UK did trail for most of the game. And at home.

IMO, Kentucky's at worst a Top 15'ish team. We will find out more soon enough as I believe 4 of their next 5 are on the road.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT