ADVERTISEMENT

UK returning to it's roots should terrify CBB

Brushy Bill

Gold Member
Mar 31, 2009
Team
Kentucky
The One & Done model that Calipari had employed had run it's course as a way to achieve lasting success in the college game. And make no mistake, for the better part of a decade it was a sight to behold. However, having to start from scratch every sing year just isn't sustainable, as evidenced by the last 5 years at Kentucky. Pope is going to go back to what was successful about the Pitino years, getting guys that fit a system, and sprinkling in a few transformational talents, while building a program that doesn't have the ups and downs. It's literally how it's always been done before and it's working well in places like Duke, UNC, Kansas, UConn, Baylor, Alabama, Tenn, etc. In all honesty, it should terrify CBB that Kentucky is embracing a return to it's roots, one that earned it 7 National Championships and nearly 2000 wins. As an aside, there are currently 21 former Kentucky players in the NBA playoffs and 3 former players have been named to the Olympic team so...suck it haters.

5f3a39d56bd486b3ed83d6023f58b0b8_w200.gif

The One & Done model that Calipari had employed had run it's course as a way to achieve lasting success in the college game. And make no mistake, for the better part of a decade it was a sight to behold. However, having to start from scratch every sing year just isn't sustainable, as evidenced by the last 5 years at Kentucky. Pope is going to go back to what was successful about the Pitino years, getting guys that fit a system, and sprinkling in a few transformational talents, while building a program that doesn't have the ups and downs. It's literally how it's always been done before and it's working well in places like Duke, UNC, Kansas, UConn, Baylor, Alabama, Tenn, etc. In all honesty, it should terrify CBB that Kentucky is embracing a return to it's roots, one that earned it 7 National Championships and nearly 2000 wins. As an aside, there are currently 21 former Kentucky players in the NBA playoffs and 3 former players have been named to the Olympic team so...suck it haters.
this post is one bad December loss away from being that old SNL skit where you look in the mirror and tell yourself how wonderful you are till you believe it.

No shit. We went from the last 4 years of Tubby to Billy G. But from 93-2005 UK pretty much owned CBB.
Have you checked out the pinned thread here?

• Love
Reactions: Brushy Bill
In this day and age, no one fears anyone. UConn just won back to back and no one fears them.
I actually thought UK was one of the few teams that matched up well with UConn. Too bad UK crapped down their leg against Oakland...

But overall, I would agree that there just aren't anymore dominant teams in college bball anymore that strike fear in opposing teams. I think, as a whole, college bball is deeper with quality teams then it has been in recent memory because of NIL and the portal, but that also negates programs being ultra dominant.

Interesting to say the least.

I actually thought UK was one of the few teams that matched up well with UConn. Too bad UK crapped down their leg against Oakland...

But overall, I would agree that there just aren't anymore dominant teams in college bball anymore that strike fear in opposing teams. I think, as a whole, college bball is deeper with quality teams then it has been in recent memory because of NIL and the portal, but that also negates programs being ultra dominant.

Interesting to say the least.
I'd say you're right, for the most part. NIL & the portal are changing the game in ways that still remain to be understood fully, and not in a good way IMO. It is, what it is, though so learning to navigate the new realities is key. It's something that Calipari just couldn't bring himself to embrace and it's also something that I think Pope will excel at.

Reactions: eerdoc
Not about to even feign a touch of concern now that Kentucky will
+checks notes+
leave more young talent for us poors.

Dolla Bill gotta full roster..
Worry about yaself brosef.

I don't remember UK owning anything in the time periods you noted.

UNC went to 11 FF's , UK 8
UNC won 2 titles, UK won 2

You were good but you didn't own that specific time.
it's nuts how good UNC has been over the years.

these rookies have no idea the length of our depth goes.

Reactions: AWilli6995
You shut that filthy little whore mouth of yours right now! Tell him @dukedevilz

UNC has just about caught UCLA for 2nd all-time. They've got a LONG ways to go catch Kentucky. UK's got 200 points on UCLA. To give you an idea of how big of a gap 200 points is for my ranking of all-time programs, UConn earned 83 points this year.

Feels good to have our program back. Looking forward to the Pope era.
The Cal and UK marriage was one of convenience. UK had to make a splash after the Billy G debacle and Cal was always about getting kids to the league over all else. Nothing wrong with it, and it was working just fine while Cal was winning, but it was always destined to flame out when the winning stopped and Cal's ego wouldn't let him adapt.

96-98 was insane....After that---not so much. SOme disappointing losses. USC, UAB and Marquette. Couple of second round exits as well.
That Marquette loss hurt.We ran through the SEC and was primed for a deep run.

Everyone seems to have a career game and that was Wade's night.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
nyco_rats.jpg

Looks like UK is losing a lot of commits these days.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT