ADVERTISEMENT

Uh.....North Carolina

I'm not an NBA Scout and I haven't watched every minute of Cole Anthony's collegiate career. But, I can't for the life of me understand why he would be a top 5 pick. FIrst round? Sure. Okay. But, he seems like a poor man's Stephon Marbury.
Totally agree. Just posted as much in a different thread. Not similar players, but it takes me back to the underwhelming feeling I had watching Barnes his freshman year. This, is what all the hype was about? Meh.

Reactions: dukedevilz
You just said it. He was barely trying to get open. That is on him. FSU was sagging and fronting the post and Brooks just accepted it. In the first half Cole was getting the ball to people who were open. Eventually in the second half when the offense went to hell he tried to take over. It isn't Cole's fault the bigs have been lazy when he came back. I'm not denying the flow has been off since Cole has been back (though part of that is that we aren't playing Miami and State). I'm just saying it isn't just his fault that his teammates are just standing there lost. They need to step up. Not sure they are good enough to but that isn't Cole's fault either.

But FSU fronts the post every game and has been doing so for a decade. It’s weird that Brooks and Bacot looked so unprepared and passive against it.

I just am not used to seeing a UNC team look so lifeless and reliant on a single jump shooter. I watched Brice Johnson come into Tally and straight dominant an FSU front line by being aggressive and physical from the jump. This was...just weird.

Reactions: RipThru
I thought both Brooks and Bacot were open a number of times when Leaky had the ball and he was scared to make the pass. There were times Brooks was not fighting as hard as he usually does. Bacot did a better job I thought. Also, with Cole they were doing more high screen and rolls than traditional two big sets. So they need to learn how to play off that and get open because that is probably what the offense will look like when Cole has the ball.

I like the effort from Duke twitter guy to try and act like there is some tension there though. Have to try and make a name for yourself somehow I suppose.

I watched the game... Cole Anthony is a team hurting ball hog and he's not a good enough shooter to earn it. UNC took a step back when Cole came back because Cole Anthony is just not efficient .

Reactions: Quavarius
Stop sugar coating it. Cole Anthony kills chemistry. He chucks, wildly at times. They spend so much time dribbling the ball on the perimeter than passing it around, which leads to not being able to get it inside. Easiest way to open up the entry pass is swinging the ball around quickly. Not dribbling for 10 seconds around the perimeter back and forth.

We simply don't even try to get the ball inside, and it is frustrating. Part of it is because we can't shoot so they can say off us on the perimeter. Part of it is because we don't have an actual PG.

Cole Anthony is simply a step back shooter. Even watching his work out videos with Carmelo, you can see that. There were a lot of rumors that people didn't want to play with Cole Anthony in HS, and I am pretty sure I can figure out why. He kills chemistry.

And the worst part is that Roy is so worried he might offend other top recruits if he does come down on Cole that he is coming down on all the players around him. It's frustrating.

I haven't seen enough of Anthony to comment, but from reading this thread it seems like Anthony=Rivers.

Sort of. He did have iso-tendencies, and I think there was a little resentment in the locker room. But the 2012 team was a 2 seed and 27-6 heading in the NCAAs. In spite of his imperfections, he was still pretty darn good. And Duke was a top 10 team throughout the year.

I do remember telling Duke fans to temper their expectations with Rivers because he averaged 29 ppg and only 2 assists in high school. For someone who always has the ball in his hands, that's an unusually low amount of assists. He had a little bit of tunnel vision when handling the ball, unfortunately.

I haven't seen enough of Anthony to comment, but from reading this thread it seems like Anthony=Rivers.
If you'd consider
.351(FG%)/.361(2P%)/.338(3P%) while shooting 29.5 times per 100 possessions = .433(FG%).477(2P%).365(3P%) shooting 20.5 times per 100 possessions.

That would be like saying Anthony=Monk

That Duke team was immensely more talented than this UNC team.

Immensely? I would say slightly better. Didn’t Roy get the top grad transfers to surround Cole with along with a 5 Star Big in Bacot and returner in Brooks?

That Duke team was a bunch role players (Thornton, Curry, THE Real Hairston, Miles Plumlee and Kelly) surrounded by Austin Rivers and Mason Plumlee.

Squeezing 27 wins out of that team was a great coaching job by K.

Immensely? I would say slightly better. Didn’t Roy get the top grad transfers to surround Cole with along with a 5 Star Big in Bacot and returner in Brooks?

That Duke team was a bunch role players (Thornton, Curry, THE Real Hairston, Miles Plumlee and Kelly) surrounded by Austin Rivers and Mason Plumlee.

You know, they are never going to give K credit and on the flip side, will never admit Roy underachieved.

Reactions: Quavarius
Yup, Austin Rivers is the first guy that came to my mind as I was watching him dominate the ball Monday night.
Good call.

If you'd consider
.351(FG%)/.361(2P%)/.338(3P%) while shooting 29.5 times per 100 possessions = .433(FG%).477(2P%).365(3P%) shooting 20.5 times per 100 possessions.

Monk did like to chuck it a lot

Kinda like all those times you brought up Cal cussing at a player like that was the first time that kinda thing ever happened. See how that works?
Never said other coaches didn’t do that. It’s just something that Roy or Dean would not do.
Congratulations on Cal being on that Bobby Knight level.

Last edited:

I'm not willing to write Curry off as a role player and Kelly was killing it his senior year before the injury but yeah that was not a great team.

Lol, we are starting Andrew Platek. That dude would get 0 minutes on that Duke team. Pierce and Keeling would also not play at all. Hell, Leaky Black may not. There are three people on this team who would even be in the rotation on that Duke team (and many UNC teams as well).

Reactions: 829305
If you'd consider

Now that you mention is, that's more like Rivers=Monk
Monk was .450(FG%), .497 (2P%), .397 (3P%) shooting 24.7 times per 100.

In other words, Rivers and Monk shot it significantly less with significantly better accuracy than Anthony.

Lol, we are starting Andrew Platek. That dude would get 0 minutes on that Duke team. Pierce and Keeling would also not play at all. Hell, Leaky Black may not. There are three people on this team who would even be in the rotation on that Duke team (and many UNC teams as well).
The piling on by this insecure chode is hilarious. Must really sting him that Roy has been better than K since he arrived at UNC. Ouch.

I think this is more proof of just how hard and a gamble this OAD stuff is. I hate it. I wish it would go away.

The piling on by this insecure chode is hilarious. Must really sting him that Roy has been better than K since he arrived at UNC. Ouch.
Not sure of the head to head, but I believe K is in the lead there. And why not go back to when Roy was coaching at Kansas. Since you want to highlight the 3 NC's to K's 2. How about a head to head NC game. Who won that one?

So besides one more NC, what has Roy done better. Not NCAA appearances for sure. He does have him beat in NIT finals.

Please enlighten us. BTW, Roy didn't start his head coaching at UNc.

Not sure of the head to head, but I believe K is in the lead there. And why not go back to when Roy was coaching at Kansas. Since you want to highlight the 3 NC's to K's 2. How about a head to head NC game. Who won that one?

So besides one more NC, what has Roy done better. Not NCAA appearances for sure. He does have him beat in NIT finals.

Please enlighten us. BTW, Roy didn't start his head coaching at UNc.

duke played basketball before k got there and the last time I checked those games counted. Eyeroll

Whoa, I see at least one future Olympian on that roster, plus two guards that managed $32m plus NBA contracts, so settle down on taking a dump all over the "at least they're better than the Zellers" brothers and their teammates.

Plus, I was asking for facts that proves his statement.

maybe you would like to defend his statement.

Nothing to defend. You asking for facts when all your posts UNC related are littered with your opinion. Like I said before duke played basketball before k got there and they were good, no where as good before he arrived.

Nothing to defend. You asking for facts when all your posts UNC related are littered with your opinion. Like I said before duke played basketball before k got there and they were good, no where as good before he arrived.
So there is nothing to defend when a person says Roy has been better than K since he has been at UNc and I ask for proof.

ADVERTISEMENT