ADVERTISEMENT

Uh… so, Duke implodes…?

TheDude1

Apr 15, 2010
My jaw is on the floor. What on earth happened? Was it unrealistic expectations from the young players? Was it poor recruiting by the coach? Was it new guys being brought in which forced the current guys to leave? Does Duke not have the money other schools have for NIL? is there a bad culture going on?

Baffling. And concerning.

My jaw is on the floor. What on earth happened? Was it unrealistic expectations from the young players? Was it poor recruiting by the coach? Was it new guys being brought in which forced the current guys to leave? Does Duke not have the money other schools have for NIL? is there a bad culture going on?

It's probably just Duke.

• Haha
Reactions: Random UK Fan
Season 8 Wtf GIF by The Office

Scheyer is going to solicit the duke fans on their homeboard to see if they have any eligibility left.

Last edited:

I'll tell you the same thing I tell the cook at the restaurant. I don't need to know how you make the soup, just serve me the soup!

Just a lot of young talent and the other guys want to play. It's just the way things are these days. Bring in a ton of young talent, even if they are a little overhyped, and dudes aren't going to want to sit behind them. Losing Roach is the one that hurts the most IMO. I thought he would have really helped them.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
Duke counting on Purdue’s 6th man who we told we didn’t have room for is…uh….interesting.

The thing about having freshmen guys that are projected to go to the draft, you have to play them, because more times than not, you only get them for 1 year.

Scheyer is better at managing this than Cal is, JS doesn’t pick out favorites and stick with them regardless of how bad they are (Boston, Edwards, DJ, Askew and for pouting reasons… Wheeler) while better players sit.

The other thing about these 1 year kids is, they aren't typically good college basketball players, they have NBA potential, but in the here and now, very few can beat teams that have seasoned college basketball players.

Obviously guys like Zion, AD, Barrett, Randle, Towns, Fox, Murray etc are in a different league, but still, when you look at the teams getting to final 4's and winning titles today, they're junior and senior laden.

Flagg is probably going to be in that top shelf class of guys, but he won’t dominate college teams all by himself, he’s going to need a strong supporting cast. A lot of the guys transferring from Duke would have helped Flagg put Duke into that title favorite discussion.

I'm just glad to be done with one-and-done teams and a players first coach that never plays the best lineups, because he has other agendas.

Guessing if Duke is pursuing him (and I’ve heard they are), they expect him to have a decent role.
This is how you define, counting on? Obviously if they are pursuing him, they think he can play a decent role. But that doesn't really mean that they are counting on him to lead the team or anything like that. Just looking for an experienced role player.

This is how you define, counting on? Obviously if they are pursuing him, they think he can play a decent role. But that doesn't really mean that they are counting on him to lead the team or anything like that. Just looking for an experienced role player.
That was just a Purdue fan trying to do some humble bragging.

Reactions: IUBtown and tw3301
Of all the players transferring, Stewart is the only one who disappoints me. Was really looking forward to seeing him develop. Didn't think Scheyer used him well this year.

His ceiling is very high. It was frustrating watching him play behind Ryan Young. At the same time, Stewart often gets himself in terrible positions defensively. So to some extent, I can understand why Young got more minutes. But, give me Stewart's talent over Young's basketball iq. That's a risk I'm willing to take.

Duke brings in 2 experienced, tough guys who are analytics darlings in Maliq Brown from Syracuse and Mason Gillis from Purdue.

The top players in our rotation will likely be a seasoned Junior PG, a returning Soph G who's likely to improve a lot, a 5th Year team captain from Purdue who's the ultimate glue guy, a generational OAD talent, a raw but promising top 5 pick next year, a Junior from Syracuse who's the perfect Swiss Army knife in the frontcourt and any one of 4 top 40 recruits who all have the range of outcomes to explode like Jared McCain or Reed Sheppard did.

This team could be absolutely dominant next year and has very few holes. Scheyer might add another guy or 2 to the rotation.

The other thing about these 1 year kids is, they aren't typically good college basketball players, they have NBA potential, but in the here and now, very few can beat teams that have seasoned college basketball players.

Obviously guys like Zion, AD, Barrett, Randle, Towns, Fox, Murray etc are in a different league, but still, when you look at the teams getting to final 4's and winning titles today, they're junior and senior laden.

Flagg is probably going to be in that top shelf class of guys, but he won’t dominate college teams all by himself, he’s going to need a strong supporting cast. A lot of the guys transferring from Duke would have helped Flagg put Duke into that title favorite discussion.
UConn this year had a freshman PG, a 5th year senior starting PG, a grad transfer SF, a sophomore PF and a sophomore C.

Duke's starting 5 will likely have 2 freshmen (One Generational and 1 top 5 pick), a Junior PF/C hybrid, a Junior PG, A Soph CG and their top player on the bench will be a 5th Year Super Senior.

Duke doesn't have an Age or Experience issue this year.

UConn this year had a freshman PG, a 5th year senior starting PG, a grad transfer SF, a sophomore PF and a sophomore C.

Duke's starting 5 will likely have 2 freshmen (One Generational and 1 top 5 pick), a Junior PF/C hybrid, a Junior PG, A Soph CG and their top player on the bench will be a 5th Year Super Senior.

nish in the offseason- We're the best team ever
nish in January- We're winning the title
nish in March- It's joever

Rinse and repeat

I trust Hurley to run better sets and get more out of rosters than Scheyer. Don't forget that you thought the last two teams were going to be worldbeaters too.

You can pull it off if it’s one or two freshmen when you surround them with juniors and seniors, OR, the freshmen are transcendent/ generational.
You can't do what Cal was doing and tell everyone that's the best way to win titles, it's not. If winming titles is your goal, you don't constantly try to be the youngest team in the country, then complain about youth.

I trust Hurley to run better sets and get more out of rosters than Scheyer. Don't forget that you thought the last two teams were going to be worldbeaters too.
Good that you are not a Duke or Uconn fan then huh?

You just have old cheater Billy to lead your squad.

• Haha
Reactions: Random UK Fan
Good that you are not a Duke or Uconn fan then huh?

You just have old cheater Billy to lead your squad.

Worst thing they have on Bill is his assistant discussing the demands of a player who went to.....wait for it......Duke. 🤣

Fortunately, now that the playing field is level, Bill's catching up in the recruiting game.

Last edited:
Worst thing they have on Bill is his assistant discussing the demands of a player who went to.....wait for it.......Duke! 🤣

Fortunately, now that the playing field is level, Bill's catching up in the recruiting game.
Yep, 100k couldnt even get him to KU.

ADVERTISEMENT