ADVERTISEMENT

TV/video games/movies off season thread

TheDude1

Apr 15, 2010

Anyone else really looking forward to this? Great time, great story, and Adam McKay almost always does great stuff.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
Should be interesting. I was curious how they casted all the bigs for the Lakers. I mean, I don't think it's realistic that you could find 5+ guys that are 6'8, young, relatively athletic, and can act.

So, here's what I found on some of those bigs. I've listed the height of the actors playing these roles, as well as the height of the real player in parenthesis.

Magic Johnson- 6'3 (6'9)
Mark Landsberger- 6'5 (6'8)
Jim Chones- 6'5 (6'11)
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar- 6'11 (7'2)

I think that's honestly about as good as you can find. Really, really hard to find actors north of 6'5 that are young and athletic. The guy playing KAJ is actually Solomon Hughes, who started for California in the early 2000's. I think this has the potential for being a really entertaining show.

Should be interesting. I was curious how they casted all the bigs for the Lakers. I mean, I don't think it's realistic that you could find 5+ guys that are 6'8, young, relatively athletic, and can act.

So, here's what I found on some of those bigs. I've listed the height of the actors playing these roles, as well as the height of the real player in parenthesis.

Magic Johnson- 6'3 (6'9)
Jim Chones- 6'5 (6'11)

I think that's honestly about as good as you can find. Really, really hard to find actors north of 6'5 that are young and athletic. The guy playing KAJ is actually Solomon Hughes, who started for California in the early 2000's. I think this has the potential for being a really entertaining show.

Yeah, that is DEFINITELY an issue with casting a basketball movie! They are already talking about doing a second season, focusing on Kobe and Shaq... can you imagine trying to cast a Shaq? Jesus.

I wonder if they just let the actors go, or if they do any sort of camera trickery to emphasize heights? Like, the Lord of the Rings series, they used a TON of actual special effects to do it (although I think there is a lot more work making a hobbit than making a 6'5 guy look four inches taller.)

Reactions: dukedevilz
Yeah, that is DEFINITELY an issue with casting a basketball movie! They are already talking about doing a second season, focusing on Kobe and Shaq... can you imagine trying to cast a Shaq? Jesus.

I wonder if they just let the actors go, or if they do any sort of camera trickery to emphasize heights? Like, the Lord of the Rings series, they used a TON of actual special effects to do it (although I think there is a lot more work making a hobbit than making a 6'5 guy look four inches taller.)

Casting Shaq sounds impossibly hard. If you're trying to portray him in the most realistic possible setting, you'd almost be forced to find a basketball player.

Maybe Kofi Cockburn could handle that in a few years?

He would have been perfect. 😢

GREENMILE_4K_UHD-featured.jpg

I am a huge fan of HBO shows in general but this does not appeal to me at all. I am not really a fan of sports shows tbh.

Magic Johnson- 6'3 (6'9)
Jim Chones- 6'5 (6'11)

If they needed to cast Lebron and this year’s Laker team…..

kevin-bacon.gif

First episode was good, the last 2 have been almost unwatchable. I mean really ****ing boring. Are they at any point going to get to basketball? We are 3 episodes in and we haven't even had a practice.

First episode was good, the last 2 have been almost unwatchable. I mean really ****ing boring. Are they at any point going to get to basketball? We are 3 episodes in and we haven't even had a practice.
giphy.gif

At this point I’m watching it hoping that it gets better. I don’t like this narrative style of directing where the characters talk to the camera while talking to other characters. I think it’s cheesy in nature and it’s a lazy way of building a story. I was hoping that they were using this style to tell the back story and eventually it will stop but here we are in episode 3 and it’s still a part of the show.

These 1st 3 episodes have been a slow build up hopefully things pick up. They are certainly testing the patience of the audience. It’s only 10 episodes in season 1 and three of them are already in the past tense. At least Jerry West’s cringy character is being fazed out and replaced with the Pat Riley character. Hopefully they faze West completely out.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
At this point I’m watching it hoping that it gets better. I don’t like this narrative style of directing where the characters talk to the camera while talking to other characters. I think it’s cheesy in nature and it’s a lazy way of building a story. I was hoping that they were using this style to tell the back story and eventually it will stop but here we are in episode 3 and it’s still a part of the show.

These 1st 3 episodes have been a slow build up hopefully things pick up. They are certainly testing the patience of the audience. It’s only 10 episodes in season 1 and three of them are already in the past tense. At least Jerry West’s cringy character is being fazed out and replaced with the Pat Riley character. Hopefully they faze West completely out.
Weird, I actually like them taking to the camera.

All you chumps thinking this series would've been focused on the actual basketball are real schleps. The series has been hilarious so far, basketball or not. The way it's being told is great as well. The off-the-court stuff is way more interesting than the on-court stuff anyway. Give me more hookers and blow.

Reactions: B1Gff
All you chumps thinking this series would've been focused on the actual basketball are real schleps. The series has been hilarious so far, basketball or not. The way it's being told is great as well. The off-the-court stuff is way more interesting than the on-court stuff anyway. Give me more hookers and blow.
What's been more interesting? Pat Riley clearing ivy or Jerry West not sure about having a kid?

First episode was interesting, the Tark stuff was meh except the mob killed his friend which I didn't know about.

OP if you rename this thread to TV/Movies/Video games, we could probably get to reboot a great old thread with the offseason coming up.

Maybe @Kevin Bryan will pin the nonsense and this thread for the offseason.

Last edited:
Reactions: tw3301
Feel like they have been for awhile. Minx is good too, but yeah lots of dong.
HBO making their shows early was brilliant. Sopranos, The Wire, How to make money in america. All good.

I've not watched a lot of Max shows so far. Are Righteous Gemstones, Succession, and White Lotus all Max shows?

Peachmaker, Curb has been around forever, Not a Max show.

Kind of funny how HBO and Cinemax competed back in the day and now it's HBO Max.

• Love
Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
I'd watch twitch than network sitcoms. Don't watch network late night soaps either.

Nothing against them, I just lost interest.ABC, NBC, CBS or Fox.

Ehhhl

HBO making their shows early was brilliant. Sopranos, The Wire, How to make money in america. All good.

I've not watched a lot of Max shows so far. Are Righteous Gemstones, Succession, and White Lotus all Max shows?

Peachmaker, Curb has been around forever, Not a Max show.

Kind of funny how HBO and Cinemax competed back in the day and now it's HBO Max.

pretty sure the shows you mentioned are all HBO shows, I don't consider anything really a "max" show because I already paid for HBO and HBO max is basically just their app. Cinemax and HBO have always been owned by the same company they just decided to combine the 2 when everything went toward streaming apps. The only thing I miss about the "pandemic" is being able to watch new movies on that app. Dune, Godzilla vs Kong, etc.

pretty sure the shows you mentioned are all HBO shows, I don't consider anything really a "max" show because I already paid for HBO and HBO max is basically just their app. Cinemax and HBO have always been owned by the same company they just decided to combine the 2 when everything went toward streaming apps. The only thing I miss about the "pandemic" is being able to watch new movies on that app. Dune, Godzilla vs Kong, etc.
I just see logos on the posters.

p21542934_b_v13_ab.jpg

This tells me it's apple.

MV5BOThjMjc4NDUtNmIyOC00MzhmLWIxNjQtMDlkOTlmNzA0NDJlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDM2NDM2MQ@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

etc

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT