ADVERTISEMENT

Top 5 foreign players in NBA history

Michael Jordan was born in Brooklyn, but raised in NC. Does he still count as an NC player?

Michael Jordan was born in Brooklyn, but raised in NC. Does he still count as an NC player?
Also, Oscar Robertson was born in Tennessee and didn't go to Indianapolis until high school. So Hoosiers should think twice before claiming him.

Bobby Jones who won a title with Dr.J at Philly. Eric “Sleepy” Floyd who played for Golden St. had a good career in the NBA. Also David West is from Garner.

No mention of Toni Kukoč? Idk if he would be top 5 but he's a 3x NBA champ

:rolleyes: Thanks in part to BJ Armstrong.

And a hearty elle OH elle to the dude who claimed Dirk over Hakeem.
Holy ballz I must be old.. my hip hurts from laughing too hard.

Reactions: Silent Banjo
I think that's an overly simplistic description of VoRP. Yes, a longer career can help. But if you are performing poorly, the extra games can actually hurt you. It's your value relative to a replacement player. If you are a below average player for your position, your VoRP will get lower.

1) Yes, it was deliberately simplistic to make a point, and 2) are you really worried about Lebron/Jordan/Nowitzki having so many sub-REPLACEMENT LEVEL years that it contradicts the general truism that longer careers will lead to higher career VoRP? Picking nits, man.

1) Yes, it was deliberately simplistic to make a point, and 2) are you really worried about Lebron/Jordan/Nowitzki having so many sub-REPLACEMENT LEVEL years that it contradicts the general truism that longer careers will lead to higher career VoRP? Picking nits, man.

For the guys at the very top, no. But for the guys in the 50-100 range, it could make a difference.

Don’t know if he has been mentioned or not but Drazen Petrovic was really, really good.

Arvidas Sabonis should have come to the NBA sooner. We could be talking about him being at or darn close to the top the list IMO.

lots of good, young international players in the league right now.

Giannis, 23, Greece
Ben Simmons, 21, Australia
Joel Embiid, 24, Cameroon
Kristaps Porzingis, 22, Latvia
Nikola Jokic, 23, Serbia

Certainly Luka Doncic is one to watch... but let's not forget that DeAndre Ayton is from the Bahamas. He'll be a star.
One to add is Lauri Markkanen of the Bulls. I think he's going to be better than Porzingis.

Any of you ever watch Arvydas Sabonis in his prime?
Never had the pleasure, although I heard he dismantled David Robinson in some overseas competition. When Arvydas was on the Blazers he was running on fumes, but even a near crippled Arvydas had his moments going up against Shaq,

Honestly, I think Arvydas' son, Domantus is a young guy to watch out for. He was dominant at Gonzaga and has been flashing some pretty impressive skills for the Pacers this year.

Imagine a taller and more skilled DeAndre Ayton. Arvydas was 7'3" and can score consistently from all three levels. And he's play with a grudge...

Met him a few times when he play for the Blazers. Just a massive but yet proportioned human being.

ADVERTISEMENT