ADVERTISEMENT

Top 10 active coaches list

Noahtogo24

Jan 6, 2015
Obviously top would be K and Roy, but after that I feel 3-10 is so subjective, there could be plenty of possible orders. Coaches who should be on the list (just random order):
  • Izzo
  • Cal
  • Self
  • Wright
  • Belien
  • Boeheim
  • Huggins
  • Few

Missing anyone?

Obviously top would be K and Roy, but after that I feel 3-10 is so subjective, there could be plenty of possible orders. Coaches who should be on the list (just random order):
  • Izzo
  • Cal
  • Self
  • Wright
  • Belien
  • Boeheim
  • Huggins
  • Few

Missing anyone?
Tony Bennett although he's had a rough couple weeks. Gregg Marshall maybe. Not sure who you'd remove though.

I would also add Donovan to this list if he returns next season if the Thunder misses the playoffs...

Tony Bennett is already in the HOF for overachieving in the regular season whilst simultaneously underachieving in the NCAA tournament

My order-
K
Roy
Cal
Self
Izzo
Wright
Boeheim
Beilein
Bennett
Few

I think there are a bunch of dudes you can change from 7-15 or so and I wouldn't fight too much. If Donovan comes back he's #2 on my list.

Reactions: KU4LIFE
My order-
K
Roy
Cal
Self
Izzo
Wright
Boeheim
Beilein
Bennett
Few

I think there are a bunch of dudes you can change from 7-15 or so and I wouldn't fight too much. If Donovan comes back he's #2 on my list.

question is where does Donovan goes if he returns-???

question is where does Donovan goes if he returns-???

Good question. Don't think he'd come back this year when it doesn't seem like many jobs are open. Maybe Arizona opens up this summer? It's probably a top 10 job.

Good question. Don't think he'd come back this year when it doesn't seem like many jobs are open. Maybe Arizona opens up this summer? It's probably a top 10 job.

Maybe if one of the ACC big three retire after next season he heads there???

Roy is obviously a top recruiter but I'm not sure he's a top 10 coach, much less top 2.

3 titles. His resume is better than everybody but K.

I don't judge coaching ability by resume.

If we're going to list them based on resume, this might as well be titled "top 10 coaching jobs."

Not knocking Roy. I still have nostalgia for his KU days. But I think he's far from #2 in terms of X's and O's.

There are probably a decent number of coaches out there who could win 3 titles in 30 years of coaching at blueblood programs.

There are probably a decent number of coaches out there who could win 3 titles in 30 years of coaching at blueblood programs.

Well, let’s do some counting. The last 30 years...
Roy has 3 titles.
Kentucky has 3 titles.
Kansas has 1 title.
UCLA has 1 title.
Indiana has 0 titles.

(K is the Goat on another level/tier/planet with 5.)

But, yeah, “a decent number of coaches” could pull that shit off. Give me a break.

Well, let’s do some counting. The last 30 years...
Roy has 3 titles.
Kentucky has 3 titles.
Kansas has 1 title.
UCLA has 1 title.
Indiana has 0 titles.

(K is the Goat on another level/tier/planet with 5.)

But, yeah, “a decent number of coaches” could pull that shit off. Give me a break.

KU has two actually. Kentucky has three and had mediocre to bad coaching during half that run. UCLA is an historic blueblood, but not in the modern 64 team tourney era. Same w/ Indiana.

If Self coaches another 15+ years and doesn't win a couple more, I'd be kinda disappointed.

Calhoun won three in 12 years. By the logic in this thread, shouldn't he be the greatest of all time after Wooden?

The Roy can't coach crowd are always going to have that opinion regardless of what he does. It is no different with the Cal can't coach crowd. Ignorance can't really be fixed or reasoned with.

You're right. It can't. Such as equating "not top two in the nation in X's and O's" to "can't coach."

You're right. It can't. Such as equating "not top two in the nation in X's and O's" to "can't coach."

You said you weren't even sure he was top 10. That's pretty wild don't you think? I'm all for contrarian opinions but I'm all for being somewhat reasonable as well.

Reactions: GE Nole
You said you weren't even sure he was top 10. That's pretty wild don't you think? I'm all for contrarian opinions but I'm all for being somewhat reasonable as well.

there's something like 350 D1 programs out there. Is it really that crazy to suggest that Roy isn't one of the 10 best out of that large group? There's a lot of great coaches out there. Poster made it clear he wasn't just talking about comparing resumes.

Winning 3 titles, back to back championship games are overrated in his book.

there's something like 350 D1 programs out there. Is it really that crazy to suggest that Roy isn't one of the 10 best out of that large group? There's a lot of great coaches out there. Poster made it clear he wasn't just talking about comparing resumes.

Yes, it is pretty crazy. There are definitely lots of great coaches out there. Resumes are kind of important though. I mean, what do you want to compare then?

I mean, I didn't say it was dumb, just ignorant. It lacks awareness IMO. However, ignorant seems to carry an extremely negative meaning so that was probably a poor choice of words on my part.

Being fringe top 10 (either right inside or right outside) means he can't coach? I think there are a hell of a lot of good coaches out there. Apparently you don't think so.

Being fringe top 10 (either right inside or right outside) means he can't coach? I think there are a hell of a lot of good coaches out there. Apparently you don't think so.

I feel there are a lot of great coaches. The 'Roy can't coach' crowd was more of a generalization but it always seems there is someone ready to discredit Roy anytime people start saying he is one of the top coaches out there. In his case I think anything outside of top 5 is pretty disrespectful though.

Yes, it is pretty crazy. There are definitely lots of great coaches out there. Resumes are kind of important though. I mean, what do you want to compare then?

I mean, I didn't say it was dumb, just ignorant. It lacks awareness IMO.

Had a response to this, but broken rip off Rivals site says its spam.

And like I said earlier, it's so subjective- is it just based on resume? In- game coaching? Or recruiting?

KU has two actually. Kentucky has three and had mediocre to bad coaching during half that run. UCLA is an historic blueblood, but not in the modern 64 team tourney era. Same w/ Indiana.

If Self coaches another 15+ years and doesn't win a couple more, I'd be kinda disappointed.

Calhoun won three in 12 years. By the logic in this thread, shouldn't he be the greatest of all time after Wooden?

Kansas will have 1 in the past 30 seasons (1988 will be a year removed) maybe 2, after Monday night, even though you are missing the point altogether. I’m just saying those programs haven’t won more than Roy in the last 30 years, yet many coaches could’ve done it? Come on.

Great coaches win the ultimate prize. I'm going to use a football analogy. Is Bobby Petrino a better coach than Nick Saban?

Reactions: 829305
My order-
K
Roy
Cal
Self
Izzo
Wright
Boeheim
Beilein
Bennett
Few

This is my list to a T.

ADVERTISEMENT