ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Izzo in March…

They were never ranked #1 again after UK beat them. Good try though.

Scratch that, they lost their #1 ranking before UK beat them. The best team won the title in 2012.

Point being, that was also luck. They definitely had a shot before that injury.

Izzo is a phenomenal coach, but it's funny how luck works. If Kenyon Martin doesn't break his leg he has zero titles.
Luck goes both ways. We've had our share against us too. Kalin Lucas tearing his achilles, No tourney in 2020 when we were one of the favorites. Then of course the draw you get in the tourney is pure luck. Some good draws, some bad ones.

UC was the #1 team for the majority of the year before Martin broke his leg. Martin was the NPOY I believe.

I'm not taking anything away from Izzo though. He's a HOF guy, just funny how luck works sometimes.
Yeah I remember, however being number 1 most of the year doesn’t necessarily equate to winning national championship of course. That MSU team was one of the more dominant teams in tournament history. I believe they won every game by double digits

Point being, that was also luck. They definitely had a shot before that injury.

They had a shot. They weren't the best team before he got hurt. They lost to UK just like yall did (x2) Not the same thing at all as UC.

Yeah I remember, however being number 1 most of the year doesn’t necessarily equate to winning national championship of course. That MSU team was one of the more dominant teams in tournament history. I believe they won every game by double digits

Of course. But when the #1 team in the country loses the NPOY before the tournament even starts is a huge help to every other team. My post was probably more negative than I meant it to be. Izzo is an all timer, it's just funny how one injury can completely change how people look at a season.

Thanks to Larry Eustachy getting thrown out and giving us like 10 FTs against Iowa State. We did win by double digits but it was really a 3-5 point game.

Reactions: Sparty_57
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT