ADVERTISEMENT

The Big Lead: Top 15 coaches right now

giphy.gif

Losing by 7 isn't getting dumptrucked. Terrible, terrible loss but not dumptrucked.

Losing all four of your Sweet Sixteen appearances by an average deficit of 17.5 points is getting dumptrucked.
You guys were getting run out of the building, then scored garbage points at the end to make it close. I'll change it to "better than getting dumptrucked by Indiana State and IPFW at home" then. You gonna argue that one?

Reactions: pig1960
You guys were getting run out of the building, then scored garbage points at the end to make it close. I'll change it to "better than getting dumptrucked by Indiana State and IPFW at home" then. You gonna argue that one?

Nope, nothing I can do or say to try and change it cause that's just the way it was.

Nope, nothing I can do or say to try and change it cause that's just the way it was.
When you haven't made the tourney in two seasons, going 18-16 and 16-15, it's just hilarious to hear that fanbase talk shit about other programs, especially Purdue which has absolutely dominated them in recent years.

When you haven't made the tourney in two seasons, going 18-16 and 16-15, it's just hilarious to hear that fanbase talk shit about other programs, especially Purdue which has absolutely dominated them in recent years.

That is what happens when have a lame duck coach and need a changing of the guards. See Purdue 04-05 and 05-06 seasons. 18-16 and 16-15 were much much better than 7-21 and 9-19.

In these past two seasons Purdue has one piece of hardware to show for it. That same piece of hardware IU won the year before. Purdue doesn't win shit when it counts. Congrats on dominating IU though. That will change very very soon. We all know that is the only goal and will keep Painter around.

That is what happens when have a lame duck coach and need a changing of the guards. See Purdue 04-05 and 05-06 seasons. 18-16 and 16-15 were much much better than 7-21 and 9-19.

In these past two seasons Purdue has one piece of hardware to show for it. That same piece of hardware IU won the year before. Purdue doesn't win shit when it counts.

We fired a coach with virtually the same track record as Painter. He gets extensions instead.

We fired a coach with virtually the same track record as Painter. He gets extensions instead.
Except for, ya know, the winning games part. Purdue has won 65 percent of its games last 15 years. Indiana has won just above 50. Yikes.

Except for, ya know, the winning games part. Purdue has won 65 percent of its games last 15 years. Indiana has won just above 50. Yikes.

2 Conference titles (1 shared)/4 Sweet Sixteens with an average loss of 17.5 points in each and the guy is a lifer. Yikes.

Reactions: SNU0821
Damn Purdue fans might be the most sensitive in the B1G. Their coach isn't on some arbitrary list and they lose it.
I know that you're flaming at this point. But objectively, it's kind of ridiculous that Miller would be listed as one of the top-15 coaches in the country based on on-court results.

If you want to talk about long-term potential and trajectory of the program, then sure I guess he can be on that list. But for a guy to only have one NCAA tournament run into the second weekend and a single one-game-above-.500 season at a major-conference program reeks of a homer take by the writer.

Not a big deal by any stretch - or an argument that Painter should be on the list - but let's not pretend the results warrant his inclusion.

I know that you're flaming at this point. But objectively, it's kind of ridiculous that Miller would be listed as one of the top-15 coaches in the country based on on-court results.

If you want to talk about long-term potential and trajectory of the program, then sure I guess he can be on that list. But for a guy to only have one NCAA tournament run into the second weekend and a single one-game-above-.500 season at a major-conference program reeks of a homer take by the writer.

Not a big deal by any stretch - or an argument that Painter should be on the list - but let's not pretend the results warrant his inclusion.

I think the majority of us agreed with that on the first page. JohnHoosier got all upset and ThreeTwaun joined along.

I agree that it's too early for Archie to be on this list. He might be one day but he shouldn't be on there yet.

Not upset at all. Have had like 4 iu fans respond after i said he shouldn't included. I don't think painter is top 15 either. He's definitely better than archie though.

Being more accomplished and better are two different things.

Reactions: SIhoosier26

Believe Painter was one more conference title and 1 more sweet 16 than Crean had at IU with 3 more years.

No huggy bear... It's okay, somebody has to be the bad guy

Real talk, he's taken some lackluster talent, coached them up and fouled his way to some pretty successful seasons recently. Plus he has long term success as well
Yeah I forgot about him, he's had a heck of a career. Surprising he doesn't make more of these lists.

No huggy bear... It's okay, somebody has to be the bad guy

Real talk, he's taken some lackluster talent, coached them up and fouled his way to some pretty successful seasons recently. Plus he has long term success as well

Huggins should be ahead of everybody ranked 10-15 except Marshall.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
The fact that the list was put together by an Indiana homer makes sense, because including Miller doesn't.

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
Uh? Dominated? You haven’t been passed the S16 and in every S16 game you’ve played, you’ve been dump trucker. Not really sure that’s what I call “dominating.” But not gonna lie, you guys love your regular season wins, head to head records and B10 Regular Season Championships (even though half were won prior to WWII). Typical Purdue fanboy.

Archie on the list? Gimme a ****ing break

I was expecting Boeheim to get disrespected, he usually is, but to not be on the list at all is laughable. Under NCAA sanctions, he's led 2 incredible Final Four runs with less than stellar talent. Coupled with his *1,000 career wins and Sweet 16 appearance last season, you'd think a top 15 mention would be in the bag. I know he's old, but it's not like the game has passed him by.
If there was a job opening, who on that list would Boeheim beat out?

If there was a job opening, who on that list would Boeheim beat out?

Hiring decisions factor in the length of time a school would expect to have the coach stay there. Considering he's 108 years old, I'd think that would be a significant ding to his resume'. A debate of the best coach right meow does not, or should not, take into account the number of years they're expected to continue coaching. He's currently a more talented coach than at least a handful of the guys on that list.

Today I learned that Sean Miller is a better coach than Jim Friggen Boeheim, the guy who shows up to the F4 every couple years driving a garbage truck instead of a team bus.

Sean Miller at 10?
I haven't done an either/or list but Miller has at least maintained a top notch program .. until he (and several other coaches) got caught with their hands in the cookie jar. It cost him at least a couple of recruits and a big downgrade in rating for me. He drops, probably off of my list. Definitely out of the top ten if I am looking to hire a coach.
I look at it the same as i looked at Chip Kelly when he left Oregon football in jeopardy of some NCAA sanction. They eventually got a wrist slap but might have suffered more if he had stayed. Yeah, he is responsible (along with Phil Knight) in bringing the program to top notch but his recruiting issues resulted in Oregon's dip over the past couple of years. It dropped him below Belotti and Brooks on my list and who outside of Oregon remembers them?

Last edited:
I haven't done an either/or list but Miller has at least maintained a top notch program .. until he (and several other coaches) got caught with their hands in the cookie jar. It cost him at least a couple of recruits and a big downgrade in rating for me. He drops, probably off of my list. Definitely out of the top ten if I am looking to hire a coach.
I look at it the same as i looked at Chip Kelly when he left Oregon football in jeopardy of some NCAA sanction. They eventually got a wrist slap but might have suffered more if he had stayed. Yeah, he is responsible (along with Phil Knight) in bringing the program to top notch but his recruiting issues resulted in Oregon's dip over the past couple of years. It dropped him below Belotti and Brooks on my list and who outside of Oregon remembers them.
0 trips to the final four.

In these past two seasons Purdue has one piece of hardware to show for it. That same piece of hardware IU won the year before. Purdue doesn't win shit when it counts. Congrats on dominating IU though. That will change very very soon. We all know that is the only goal and will keep Painter around.
Who is the “we” in the final sentence? You’re starting to sound like SNU. Slippery slope.

ADVERTISEMENT