ADVERTISEMENT

The Big Lead: Top 15 coaches right now

giphy.gif

That ordering seems jacked up.

No way Izzo is above Self unless you ignore the last 10 years...

Jay Wright has had a great 3 year run, which right before it was being considered on a very hot seat so it's strange to give him so much credit and at the same time ignore Izzo's mediocre at best last 10..

1.Coach k
2.Coach Roy
3a.Coach Self
3b. Coach Cal
4. Coach Wright
5. Coach Izzo
376 Coach Hardaway

Jay Wright has had a great 3 year run, which right before it was being considered on a very hot seat so it's strange to give him so much credit and at the same time ignore Izzo's mediocre at best last 10..

1.Coach k
2.Coach Roy
3a.Coach Self
3b. Coach Cal
4. Coach Wright
5. Coach Izzo
376 Coach Hardaway
Wright>Cal

Reactions: SIhoosier26
Izzo at 2 is funnyz otherwise solid I think. And if pitino was coaching he’d be top 3 for sure

Top 10 imo

1. Wright (Can't deny his last 5 years is amazing)
2. Roy (Somewhat similar)
3. Coach K
4. Self
5. Cal
6. Beilein
7. Bennett
8. Izzo
9. Few
10. Marshall

To me 1-3 is interchangeable based on preference. Self and Cal could be flipped. 6-9 is interchangeable to be as well.

Probably not.
you might be right. I think he is as good as or better than Few who is on most lists. Few did a great job of building a non power five type school. Once he established going to the NCAA's every season he had a great recruiting perk. Altman established a similar program at Creighton and has risen to the top echelon of a much tougher conference. Gonzaga would have more losses if a member of a tougher conference and the recruiting momentum might not be as large. Of course we'll never know unless he steps up a level. Washington State when they tire of my old college friend Kent?

Izzo, Wright and Sean are to high, K and Roy to low. Archie hasn’t done anything yet.

I agree Archie hasn’t done much but a lot of solid coaches have never been to an elite eight. Let alone at a mid-major.

1.Coach k
2.Coach Roy
3a.Coach Self
3b. Coach Cal
4. Coach Wright
5. Coach Izzo
376 Coach Hardaway
Yeah this. Wright has killed it the past 3 years but Jesus come on.

Izzo's mediocre at best last 10..

I agree that Izzo is probably too high on this list at #2, but mediocre at best last 10?

Last 10 he has:

1 Title Game appearance (2009)
2 other Final Fours (2010, 2015)
10 out of 10 NCAAT appearances
4 B1G regular season championships (2009, 2010, 2012, 2018)
3 B1G Tournament championships (2012, 2014, 2016)

That last 10 is literally better than every coach on the list #7-15

The question is who is the best right now. And Wright probably has the best argument. He's built two of the most dominant teams in a long time without dominant talent.

Of course he doesn't have the best overall resume, but I don't think K is the same coach he used to be, and Wright has only gotten better.

Pitino if he wasn’t such a ****, he’d be top 3. Boeheim is missing in this list too.

I was expecting Boeheim to get disrespected, he usually is, but to not be on the list at all is laughable. Under NCAA sanctions, he's led 2 incredible Final Four runs with less than stellar talent. Coupled with his *1,000 career wins and Sweet 16 appearance last season, you'd think a top 15 mention would be in the bag. I know he's old, but it's not like the game has passed him by.

I was expecting Boeheim to get disrespected, he usually is, but to not be on the list at all is laughable. Under NCAA sanctions, he's led 2 incredible Final Four runs with less than stellar talent. Coupled with his *1,000 career wins and Sweet 16 appearance last season, you'd think a top 15 mention would be in the bag. I know he's old, but it's not like the game has passed him by.
Still a top 10 coach imo.

Reactions: KisteK and brooky03
Since we’re talking right now, I’m going with:
1. Wright
2. Williams
3. K
4. Self
T5. Beilein
T5. Cal
7. Izzo
8. Bennett
9. Brey
T10. Mack
T10. Marshall
12. Few
13. Holtman
14. S. Miller
15. A. Miller

There’s 0 justification for Sean Miller being a top 10 coach at this time. He has done nothing but been the ultimate flameout in the tournament. The PAC-12 is such a watered down league and for him to not get anywhere in the tourney with the players he has had on his team shows that.

I put Mack at 10 because of his 8 tourney appearances at Xavier out of 9 seasons, he made the Rd. of 32 6/8 times, SS 4/6 times, and EE 1/4 times. Marshall has had a good run but has flamed out a couple more times than Mack has.

Even though Few made it to the championship last year, I will never give him credit until he becomes more consistent in the tourney. A team you cannot rely on because the conference is so trash and their record is always buffed because of it. Holtman and A. Miller just need more time to prove themselves to be accurately gauged. Same goes for Mack at UofL.

ADVERTISEMENT