ADVERTISEMENT

The “All Things UK” Thread

I’m still impressed you’ve hung on to the one you have for so long. The challenge ended when UConn won. jumpingsmile
It's one of those situations where when I sign off, I tell myself that I'll change it next time, then forget to do it until I'm signing off again. I think I just need to do it now… .well, then again, I haven't decided what I want to use for my new avatar. Damn.

IMG-1582.png

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Mark Pope can recruit

So far so good for Pope. But, both guys are local guys. It's very important to get in state talent to stay home, so I'm very happy about it. Still kind of in wait and see mode about the rest of the class. If Pope pulls in a few more studs from out of state, I will be very impressed and not worried about the future.

Super happy with what Pope has done so far though.

Reactions: kyjeff1
So far so good for Pope. But, both guys are local guys. It's very important to get in state talent to stay home, so I'm very happy about it. Still kind of in wait and see mode about the rest of the class. If Pope pulls in a few more studs from out of state, I will be very impressed and not worried about the future.

Honestly, I'm good with just a couple highly rated freshmen in each class.

I'm done with that one-and-done junk, unless we're talking AD/Wall/Zion level guys, I'd rather go with veteran teams and a couple good freshmen to mix in.

I'm so ready to wash off that NBA first filth from UK's reputation.

Solid points. I would just say, the fact that he made up years of ground in just a few months still makes it one hell of an accomplishment.

I'm done with that one-and-done junk, unless we're talking AD/Wall/Zion level guys, I'd rather go with veteran teams and a couple good freshmen to mix in.

Same here. It worked until it didn’t.

I dont mind having one and dones if they perform like a one and done. I highly doubt Pope will push people out if they aren't ready like Cal seemed to do. I will gladly take Wilson or Cenac, Brown or Lewis, Mullins, etc... I just want good players that are fun to watch and succeed on the court. Don't care if they're Freshman one and done, transfer one and done, or multi year guys. I think Pope will get players that want to play for UK and develop a winning culture as opposed to just being there as a pit stop.

I dont mind having one and dones if they perform like a one and done. I highly doubt Pope will push people out if they aren't ready like Cal seemed to do. I will gladly take Wilson or Cenac, Brown or Lewis, Mullins, etc... I just want good players that are fun to watch and succeed on the court. Don't care if they're Freshman one and done, transfer one and done, or multi year guys. I think Pope will get players that want to play for UK and develop a winning culture as opposed to just being there as a pit stop.
The problem is, the NBA drafts on potential and there are very few transcendent players and even fewer generational talents.

The college game is so much more physical, faster and disciplined than it has ever been. 99% of freshmen just aren't polished enough and their bodies aren't developed enough to win when it counts.

Look at what happened last year against Oakland. Reed Sheppard, Dillingham, Edwards, Bradshaw, Z and DJ all pissed down their legs. The only guys that showed up, were Reeves and Mitchell. Seniors.

But, Shep and Dillingham went lottery… ..because they have FUTURE potential. That doesn't do UK any good.

I would feel differently if the NBA drafted on results.

Proof is in the results, look at the teams doing all the winning these days. Veteran teams that are.mentally tough enough and disciplined enough to overcome the presdures and physicality of the game.

The problem is, the NBA drafts on potential and there are very few transcendent players and even fewer generational talents.

I agree this was a problem... under Cal. We'll see (if Pope continues to recruit and land studs) if it continues to be an issue or not. I don't think Pope will push people out and will be better at getting guys to stick if they aren't ready.

But, Shep and Dillingham went lottery… ..because they have FUTURE potential.

I disagree here. Reed and Dilly (along with Antonio) played extremely well the majority of the year and were our best players. The nba does draft a lot of players based on potential but Reed and Dilly performed all year long and (especially Reed) just continued getting better. It's unfortunate how it ended, but I have a feeling both will prove in their rookie seasons that those spots were deserved. I believe Houston and Minnesota are expecting those guys to heavily contribute from day 1 and they aren't planning on them bring projects based on potential.

look at the teams doing all the winning these days. Veteran teams that are.mentally tough enough and disciplined enough to overcome the presdures and physicality of the game.

This is true. I just wonder how much of it is because of the Covid transfers and if it will remain the same once that's removed from CBB.

Do teams try to get unproven talent mixed with some experience or continue to just recruit experience from the transfer portal and which will be better moving forward? My head says you take as much talent as you can and mix in some older vets.

So what are your expectations for this year? Pope recruited what it sounds like you want, a team full of older vets that have been around CBB awhile. I'm hoping for a great year but most of the talking heads don't seem to expect much from UK this year.

Reactions: kyjeff1
Kentucky's QB is ass lol. I'm looking forward to our matchup after watching that game. Wasn't impressed with their O Line either.

I agree this was a problem... under Cal. We'll see (if Pope continues to recruit and land studs) if it continues to be an issue or not. I don't think Pope will push people out and will be better at getting guys to stick if they aren't ready.
I'm not sure how hard Cal had to push most of the kids that left too early. The culture Cal created, did most of the pushing. Those dudes came to UK with a one-and-done mindset. But that's the mindset of most highly rated (5*) kids. They know they are NBA bound and they know they can't waste time staying in college. They can stink it up and still leave, because they have length and athletesism.
I disagree here. Reed and Dilly (along with Antonio) played extremely well the majority of the year and were our best players. The nba does draft a lot of players based on potential but Reed and Dilly performed all year long and (especially Reed) just continued getting better. It's unfortunate how it ended, but I have a feeling both will prove in their rookie seasons that those spots were deserved. I believe Houston and Minnesota are expecting those guys to heavily contribute from day 1 and they aren't planning on them bring projects based on potential.

Yup, Reed and Dillingham played well all season long… .on offense. They stunk on defense and while they scored a lot of points, the team lost 11 games, some of them to really bad teams.
Then, the Oakland thing happened. A lot is on Cal here, but Reed and Dillingham pissed down their legs in that NCAAT game and that’s a problem with most freshmen.
This is true. I just wonder how much of it is because of the Covid transfers and if it will remain the same once that's removed from CBB.
I think it’s just the way it is now. Today's freshmen are not disciplined enough to be good at all aspects of the game and their bodies aren't developed enough. It’s too common for freshmen to have a great game, then follow it up with a string of bad to mediocre games. They just aren't polished and disciplined enough.
Do teams try to get unproven talent mixed with some experience or continue to just recruit experience from the transfer portal and which will be better moving forward? My head says you take as much talent as you can and mix in some older vets.
I think the best way to do it is bring in a couple good 4* kids, a couple good 5* kids and keep a steady stream of juniors and seniors around them that have developed within the program.
So what are your expectations for this year? Pope recruited what it sounds like you want, a team full of older vets that have been around CBB awhile. I'm hoping for a great year but most of the talking heads don't seem to expect much from UK this year.
Yeah, I think the talking heads could be right, but I can see a world where this team is much better than projected. From the looks of it, there are 5 or 6 dead eye three point shooters on this team and the plan is to run a 3 point shot heavy offense with lots of cutting and inside-out options. If they can defend at a high level, they could be really good.

I find it hard to believe that a senior laden team, with two decorated defenders and 6 great shooters, will suck.

I give Pope major credit for the roster he built in such a short period of time.

I'm stoked at the fact that we now have a coach that is coaching for UK first. I'm so done with the NBA first culture that Cal created.

ADVERTISEMENT