ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Tech Defense

Is this the greatest defense that any college basketball team has had ever?

It was special tonight. Winston had no idea what to do, wow.

Highest ranked KenPom defensive efficiency since he started tracking 18 years ago. May not be best ever, but it is overwhelming to teams who haven't seen it over the course of a season.

The perimeter defense is incredible. They’re also really good at cutting off penetration. One weakness - If a guy attacks the basket they will either foul or flop... Virginia likes to shoot 400 threes so they won’t stand a prayer on Monday.

Reactions: RedR8der4Life
Highest ranked KenPom defensive efficiency since he started tracking 18 years ago. May not be best ever, but it is overwhelming to teams who haven't seen it over the course of a season.

Its the best in recorded history basically. So thats a yes, best defense since they started tracking defensive efficiency

The perimeter defense is incredible. They’re also really good at cutting off penetration. One weakness - If a guy attacks the basket they will either foul or flop... Virginia likes to shoot 400 threes so they won’t stand a prayer on Monday.
This is just a question. Really not aimed toward you. BUT....Why is it every team that is talked about as being really good defensively, is always accused of flopping or fouling? I mean I am sure TT gets away with some fouling. Do some flopping. But what teams doesn't? To dismiss their defense like this is being very obtuse. Those dudes get after you. One of the top defense's I have ever seen.

This is just a question. Really not aimed toward you. BUT....Why is it every team that is talked about as being really good defensively, is always accused of flopping or fouling? I mean I am sure TT gets away with some fouling. Do some flopping. But what teams doesn't? To dismiss their defense like this is being very obtuse. Those dudes get after you. One of the top defense's I have ever seen.

Their defense is stellar, I’m not discrediting them. Every single great defense or offense still is going to have a weakness (or weaker aspect) — So I was noting that if Virginia stood a prayer against Tech tomorrow night that they would have to find a way to attack the basket instead of throw up 40 threes.

I don’t think they flop every time but they love to take charges and when you take as many charges as Tech, there’s naturally a lot of questionable calls. I remember the end vs Duke they drew 3 charging fouls in like a minute and a half. That’s just silly. The one on Zion might be the worst one to date.

I’m not making an opinionated statement by saying that they foul a lot... They’re one of the very worst in all of D1. Its just a fact.

looking at this great and all powerful TT team, answer me this
how did the lose to Duke, Iowa State, Baylor, KSU, Kansas and WVU. EVEN Iowa beat ISU.

TT just got hot to end the season. TT lost to WVU in the 1st round of the B12T Which ISU won.

TT is merely playing their best right now, this is how most teams do in the NCAAT to win it all doesn't mean they are the best of all time.

Hard to win them all, and all of our losses are tied to very bad shooting nights for us. Not our Defense, which has been great all year. We are just firing on all cylinders as of late.

Hard to win them all, and all of our losses are tied to very bad shooting nights for us. Not our Defense, which has been great all year. We are just firing on all cylinders as of late.
that is what is happening. you are just on a roll. this reminds of the year when NCST got hot in the ACCT, they needed to win the ACCT just to get in, they won the ACCT then went on a roll and won the NCAAT.

that NCST team was coached by Valvano. [disclaimer on the spelling]

Defense travels man. Those cats guard their ass off. You can play the “ how did they lose to _______” with every team.

how did the lose to Duke, Iowa State, Baylor, KSU, Kansas and WVU. EVEN Iowa beat ISU.

TT just got hot to end the season. TT lost to WVU in the 1st round of the B12T Which ISU won.

TT is merely playing their best right now, this is how most teams do in the NCAAT to win it all doesn't mean they are the best of all time.

The Duke loss was before we had a couple of players emerge for depth. We controlled that game but ran out of depth.

ISU was poor shot selection and KSU and Baylor were in our annual 3 game slump, KU was too. KU was still good enough this season that you can’t just not show up and KSU was very good till Wade went down.

WVU was simply a meaningless game where losing gave us more rest before the NCAA tournament.

We started the season 14-1 (I think that’s right) slumped for a few games then kicked it into gear.

It's not pretty but defense never really is. People just get mad at their guy getting called for charges. For every questionable charge there is a offensive player getting bailed out by jumping into a defender.

The random motion offense has been a lot better at the end of the year.

Duke's Tre Jones put pressure on our guards and they didn't handle it well. Jones had like 6 steals himself and Duke had 15 as a team. We had 26 turnovers. Jack White hit some 3s late in the 2nd half that helped them. Culver settled for jacking up 3s.

Iowa State played well. We went 6-15 from the line and lost 68-64.

Baylor played well. Shot well from 3 and FT. We also had 17 turnovers. I think their zone gave the guys some trouble.

Kansas St is a good team. They out rebounded us 33 to 25. We had 13 turnovers. Tech went 5-23 (21.7%) from 3PT. We also put them on the line for 22 free throw attempts.

We were playing @Kansas. KU had a good shooting night including 13-30 (43.3%) from 3PT. We didn't hit our free throws 13-22 (59.1%).

*Players only meeting called by the seniors.* Then we went on a 9 game winning streak to win a share of the Big 12 regular season title.

WVU played well. Hard to beat anytime 3 times in one season especially one trying to play themselves into the postseason. They out rebounded us 44 to 30. We turned it over 15 times. Put them on the foul line 22 times. Culver tried to play hero ball late settling for 3s. He was 0-6 in the game. Lost 79-74.

Last edited:
K State....

I think they were overconfident.

They made an Elite 8 run without Dean Wade last year for the most part.

They came back on TCU in the Big 12 Tournament.

Losing to them when healthy was nothing to hang your head about.
Fully healthy that team would have made a run.
Truthfully think UVA was lucky..That entire bracket was week.

Regarding Tech's Defense...
They are long and they pressure the ball.
Even when they get too aggressive they clog the lane and have a shot blocker.

The D in the Big 12 is because of Kansas.
Have to play this way against Kansas.

ADVERTISEMENT