ADVERTISEMENT

Texas should hire Musselman

Not waste their time with Beard as he won’t leave tech. Imo.

In 2019... sure, I get the sentimental thumbing your nose up at much better jobs to keep building up a program that is very much your baby after you were 1 minute from an NC.

In 2021 after you fielded a bubble team in 2020, and had a run of the mill tournament team in 2021 the challenges that everyone warned Beard about are probably more obvious.

The question is does Beard want to become an all time great or does he want to be comfortable at a program that will likely hinder him from ever winning it all but will be loyal to him. Most good coaches face this crossroads and I think that time is now for Beard.

In 2019... sure, I get the sentimental thumbing your nose up at much better jobs to keep building up a program that is very much your baby after you were 1 minute from an NC.

In 2021 after you fielded a bubble team in 2020, and had a run of the mill tournament team in 2021 the challenges that everyone warned Beard about are probably more obvious.

The question is does Beard want to become an all time great or does he want to be comfortable at a program that will likely hinder him from ever winning it all but will be loyal to him. Most good coaches face this crossroads and I think that time is now for Beard.

I'd say the biggest factor is living in Lubbock.

He was already a play or two away from a national title and he's only going to bring in more talent.

Reactions: ozfrog
Are their recent recruiting classes not significantly better than 5 years ago?

I have no idea, I do know that they haven’t done jack since going to an Elite 8 and NCG along with putting a couple of lottery picks into the NBA. To act like those kids are going to continuously go to Lubbock is a bit ambitious. Even Baylor who turned on the money faucet and shady recruiting tactics took almost 20 years just to just to make a Final Four, and Beard/TT thinks they are just going to keep making it?

• Wow
I mean there’s only been 1 tourney since beard went EE then runner up.

Not a lot of time since then to be saying he hasn’t done shit since.

He’s put txtech basketball on the map, where they haven’t been in my 20+ years or so of following the sport.

He’s put txtech basketball on the map, where they haven’t been in my 20+ years or so of following the sport.

There was a thing called the 2020 regular season though and TT was clearly a bubble team. Sure they could have pulled an Oregon State and made an Elite 8 or out of nowhere Final Four, but history says probably not.

I’m also not saying he has done a bad job, I’m saying he hasn’t upheld a standard that most knew he wouldn’t and will likely have a lot of trouble getting back to unless he jumps to a better job.

Yes, true, but it’s nearly impossible to go the EE every single year. Not sure anyone expects that outside of the bluebloods.

And I know they haven’t been as good the last 2 years and this years tourney, but still 2 years is a little quick to be throwing dirt on the guys grave when the two previous seasons he took the program as far as they’ve ever been, as far as I know, don’t know much about their history.

Going forward, I obv have no clue, but he’s done enough already that I don’t doubt the mans abilities.

Last edited:
Yes, true, but it’s nearly impossible to go the EE every single year. Not sure anyone expects that outside of the bluebloods.

And I know they haven’t been as good the last 2 years and this years tourney, but still 2 years is a little quick to be throwing dirt on the guys grave when the two previous seasons he took the program as far as they’ve ever been, as far as I know, don’t know much about their history.

The question is does Beard want to be an all time great or does he want to be comfortable at Texas Tech? No one is throwing dirt on his grave, TT will be competitive as long as he’s there. Im saying he will likely not be good enough to be considered a Coach K, Roy Williams, John Wooden, and other all time greats if he stays at TT. It’s about how ambitious Beard is and what he values, I think this year we get the answer.

Reactions: Villian07
I agree, somewhat. I don’t think you have to be at a blueblood to maintain success, but it does make it easier.

I liken Beard to Izzo. Sparty has much more tradition, but still not top of the blue blood mountain. And izzo has been there forever and won big, don’t see why beard couldn’t do the same at Texh. Guess time will tell.

He lost to a higher seed because his team missed multiple layups and FTs in the final minute. Shit happens.

It's ridiculous to hold one tourney against anyone. There isn't a single coach or program that goes deep in the tourney every year.

If he's talking about his win-loss records of the past two years, I'd say that has a lot to do with the rest of the Big 12 being stronger.

Reactions: ozfrog and bern1955
He lost to a higher seed because his team missed multiple layups and FTs in the final minute. Shit happens.

It's ridiculous to hold one tourney against anyone. There isn't a single coach or program that goes deep in the tourney every year.

If he's talking about his win-loss records of the past two years, I'd say that has a lot to do with the rest of the Big 12 being stronger.

And not having Jarrett Culver and Zhaire Smith. It’s not as if Beard’s runs in 2018 and 2019 came out of nowhere, they came on the back of successful regular seasons lead by extremely talented individuals. The following years without the services of lottery picks his teams looked pretty ordinary. So why stay at a school like TT when he can go to UT and routinely pull in those players? It’s much easier to win from the top half of the bracket.

And not having Jarrett Culver and Zhaire Smith. It’s not as if Beard’s runs in 2018 and 2019 came out of nowhere, they came on the back of successful regular seasons lead by extremely talented individuals. The following years without the services of lottery picks his teams looked pretty ordinary. So why stay at a school like TT when he can go to UT and routinely pull in those players? It’s much easier to win from the top half of the bracket.

Not saying that he wouldn't have advantages there--I just think it's a little overblown. His recruiting is already on par with what Texas is doing. I don't think being at Texas is going to allow him to land every Cunningham or Mobley that comes along, but who knows.

Btw, if I'm not mistaken, Texas wanted Culver pretty badly.

Not saying that he wouldn't have advantages there--I just think it's a little overblown. His recruiting is already on par with what Texas is doing. I don't think being at Texas is going to allow him to land every Cunningham or Mobley that comes along, but who knows.

Btw, if I'm not mistaken, Texas wanted Culver pretty badly.

Culver being a Lubbock native probably created an unusual advantage for TT there. If that assclown Shaka Smart can bring in lottery picks to UT, imagine what a coach that could actually do something with them could accomplish.

• Wow
Chris Beard can maintain.

Pretty much finds ways to keep the ship from sinking.

We will find out what happens in a couple of days.

If he leaves it will be because Austin is much more his home than Lubbock.

Have to give those dirt farmers in Lubbock a little something....Not going to say it is a much better job.

Let them still have a little hope.

It’s weird to me we haven’t heard anything on Beard either going to Texas or not going to Texas. Makes me think the plan is already in place for Beard to go to Texas and just waiting for the buyout to decrease significantly on April 1st.

• Sad
Chris Beard can maintain.

Pretty much finds ways to keep the ship from sinking.

We will find out what happens in a couple of days.

If he leaves it will be because Austin is much more his home than Lubbock.

Have to give those dirt farmers in Lubbock a little something....Not going to say it is a much better job.

Let them still have a little hope.

Both of you are holding on to hope.

Tech fans hope to keep Beard. You hope to not be stuck with Royal Ivey. 😆

Top 5 jobs wouldn't even consider that an option....

Both of you are holding on to hope.

Tech fans hope to keep Beard. You hope to not be stuck with Royal Ivey. 😆

Top 5 jobs wouldn't even consider that an option....

We will see.

From the people who are acting like Chris Beard is a done deal.
The interview of Royal Ivey was to get everyone behind Chris Beard.

You interview him because you already have your guy in place.
You strengthen the bond with the ex players....

The place most people are at right now (so far as Tech fans go) is, the shine is wearing off. He’s been offered everything at Tech and word is, he’s got a near lifetime contract sitting in front of him.

Beard has a 40 million dollar training facility that has been custom built to his specs. He’s got tons of donors on the hook for millions of dollars for other projects and now he’s letting us flap in the breeze.

If he stays, great, but if he leaves I doubt there’s near as many upset Tech fans as you’d think.

I disagree...

Ultimately your administration wants to win at football.
They aren't going to totally give up on the sport. Doing what is needed will mean Tech won't be able to compete in football.

Some of those boosters you are speaking about would rather spend the money on football.

They are just hoping what Beard created is sustainable

I disagree...

Ultimately your administration wants to win at football.
They aren't going to totally give up on the sport. Doing what is needed will mean Tech won't be able to compete in football.

Some of those boosters you are speaking about would rather spend the money on football.

They are just hoping what Beard created is sustainable

Beard has done a great job improving and elevating Tech, but the bottom line is, he may want to be at UT more.

We’re fairly confident we can hire a great replacement and hopefully not lose too many to transfers.

Our football donors and basketball donors don’t really overlap. Dusty Womble (donor of the practice facility) doesn’t really put too much into football. I think most large donors for Tech either want to see us try and compete in football or basketball and maintain our level in other sports. It’s more of a either/or than it is both.

Coaches don’t leave like they once did. Big schools once paid 3 times more money. That was a big motivator no matter how many people want to ignore it. Texas may get Beard because he’s from there, but odds are if they don’t they will go the mid major route like they did their last basketball and football coach.

Texas should hire Fran McCaffrey....

@SheriffBufordTJustice

I like a lot of his offensive sets. The ability of your guards to move without the ball is elite...

Like I said before...I have never heard his name mentioned by anyone around Houston.
Don't think people even know who he is.

Appreciate the offer though.

I started the other thread with the same topic. Musselman would be a huge improvement over Shaka, but now I am not confident he would take the job.

You go with Beard if you can get him and pay him whatever you have to pay. His job at Texas Tech has been great. An elite 8 run, a final four run, conference regular season champ ending Kansas's streak, etc. . . Just because they have dropped off a little bit, doesn't mean he will continue to win there. Tech is well coached and runs great schemes. Texas would win a national title and compete for more with Beard as the coach.

What are they going to do about Pittman? Probably actually wait for him to be successful before doing anything. He was 3-7 last year.

Takes money to buy a coach out...
So if you throw all your money into basketball it is hard to throw the resources in football as well.

Arkansas has money. But they aren't near the Top 10. Bring in 85-100 million less than the huge universities.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT