ADVERTISEMENT

Texas' new 300 million dollar arena

TownesVanZandt

Aug 19, 2018
Because of the expansion of the Dell Medical Center Texas is building a new arena.
New arena will not cost the University, taxpayers nor the boosters.

Just 10K seats? It says it can expand up to 15K for concerts, but that seems expensive for so few seats.
This is what you'll likely see for new stadiums. No more carrier domes or even dean domes. Too hard to get those places rocking on a Tuesday against a meh team.

Reactions: PHXDukie
This is what you'll likely see for new stadiums. No more carrier domes or even dean domes. Too hard to get those places rocking on a Tuesday against a meh team.

10k is probably a good size for a program like Texas. Better bball programs would need more seats. Syracuse would get 15k for a weekday game against Colgate.

Nobody wants to be like Duke in this regard and charge $200 for a bad seat to a bad game cuz the gym only holds 12 fans. Sorry Duke fans, but you know your gym is dumb.

Texas has a big stadium for football, which makes sense. Syracuse has a small football stadium, which makes sense. Play to your strengths.

I’d love to see that contract. Someone sold their soul on future fees and royalties. Quarter of a Bil doesn’t come free, and damn sure not in Austin, Texas.

It should be a legit arena though. New arena, new coach should make waves when the time comes. If Texas could hold on to the talent it produces, they would be legit on an annual basis.

Just 10K seats? It says it can expand up to 15K for concerts, but that seems expensive for so few seats.
I wish Louisville played in a smaller arena. Assembly hall in Bloomington is about the right size, or the old freedom hall.

I’d love to see that contract. Someone sold their soul on future fees and royalties. Quarter of a Bil doesn’t come free, and damn sure not in Austin, Texas.

It should be a legit arena though. New arena, new coach should make waves when the time comes. If Texas could hold on to the talent it produces, they would be legit on an annual basis.

Basketball brings in pennies for Texas.
The Football program brings in 10x the money.

It is being built by a real estate development company.
Texas is willing to give up a few million now for a new arena.

The people building it will be making money off of concerts

Ultimately the University of Texas has the leverage because it owns the land in an ideal location.

Reactions: Hank_

Ultimately the University of Texas has the leverage because it owns the land in an ideal location.

Oh for sure, they’ll get fees/royalties on all event tickets and probably 100% schedule rights aside from Basketball game days, probably for decades.

It’s not too terrible a deal for prime real estate in a rapidly expanding city, but I’d be shocked if the contract favored UT.

Will Texas bring in a better coach when this building is up? Or will you be stuck watching Shaka Smart try to coach in the sick new arena?

Reactions: blue_in_chicago
Welcome to debt, Austin. Call Louisville if you need any tips

Especially at a football school

I wish Louisville played in a smaller arena. Assembly hall in Bloomington is about the right size, or the old freedom hall.
Assembly Hall is a bad arena. Iconic and unique and so LOUD, yes but it would never be built today. So many bad seat and sight lines. 17k and I would guess maybe 10k of those would be considered good. The balcony is scary AF. But I understand IU fans being against a new one. It is a cool place in spite of the fan experience.

Interesting how small the new TX arena will be. It is a football school of course so it makes sense, like Michigan and Crisler Center. In this day and age, u can't sell tickets for vast majority of games. Now, about that Coach Shaka......

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
10k is probably a good size for a program like Texas. Better bball programs would need more seats. Syracuse would get 15k for a weekday game against Colgate.

Nobody wants to be like Duke in this regard and charge $200 for a bad seat to a bad game cuz the gym only holds 12 fans. Sorry Duke fans, but you know your gym is dumb.

Texas has a big stadium for football, which makes sense. Syracuse has a small football stadium, which makes sense. Play to your strengths.

Kentucky is getting over 20,000 for weekday games against teams worse than Colgate. But Syracuse has horrible weather!

Assembly Hall is a bad arena. Iconic and unique and so LOUD, yes but it would never be built today. So many bad seat and sight lines. 17k and I would guess maybe 10k of those would be considered good. The balcony is scary AF. But I understand IU fans being against a new one. It is a cool place in spite of the fan experience.

Interesting how small the new TX arena will be. It is a football school of course so it makes sense, like Michigan and Crisler Center. In this day and age, u can't sell tickets for vast majority of games. Now, about that Coach Shaka......
Everyone who has sat in the balcony knows just how damned scary it is.

It is the smallest venue possible to seat 17,000. Even the coaches don't have good seats.

In turn Louisville will call Appalachia and the rest of po dunk Kentucky for voting in Bevin.
Maybe po dunk Kentucky could learn from how you have been living rent free in your mommy's basement all these years. I guess you are only scamming your mother and not po dunk Kentucky. Either way it is a scam.

Maybe po dunk Kentucky could learn from how you have been living rent free in your mommy's basement all these years. I guess you are only scamming your mother and not po dunk Kentucky. Either way it is a scam.
Lol...man, what a strange rustle you’ve garnered.

Cbball is trending down unfortunately.

Bilas pointed this out. But Texas has more money than most countries so who cares.

Hockey and soccer becoming increasing popular. They are chipping away at basketball. Maybe 10K is a good idea.

ADVERTISEMENT