ADVERTISEMENT

Teams you don't want you team to face in the tourney

I'll go ahead and add Michigan State to the list. Especially if they close the season with 2 more wins and make a run in the conference tournament. This is shaping up quite nicely for them.

Pre-season #1
Lose some games they probably shouldn't have
Start warming up late in the year
Become a 3 or 4 or 5 seed
Make a Final Four run
People call Izzo the GOAT even though he was the pre-season #1
A tale as old as time

Is this season really as "down" as people claim?

I understand that the top teams aren't perceived to be as elite as most years, but there seems to be a lot of depth in the field.

Look at the 8-9 seeds in Lunardi's bracketology. Illinois, Virginia, Texas Tech, Florida, LSU, St Mary's, Xavier, Providence. That would have to be one of the strongest groups in recent memory.

I understand that the top teams aren't perceived to be as elite as most years, but there seems to be a lot of depth in the field.

Look at the 8-9 seeds in Lunardi's bracketology. Illinois, Virginia, Texas Tech, Florida, LSU, St Mary's, Xavier, Providence. That would have to be one of the strongest groups in recent memory.
That might be the strongest group of 8 and 9 seeds I recall seeing.

Reactions: ExitFlagger

True but they're still 8-9 seeds for a reason. Most of those teams will have double digit losses when the tournament begins. Many of those losses will be to teams they had no business losing to.

8-9 seeds have always been kind of scary but the 1 seeds should usually beat them 75%+ of the time.

Kansas, UVA, Louisville. Kansas is playing as good as any team in the country, UVA should scare anyone imo, Louisville can beat anyone on any given night.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha

I think it appears strong because of some of the weakness at the top. Those teams would have fewer big wins if the teams at the top were more dominant and losing less.

Also, UVA is probably gonna be a 6/7 seed when it’s all said and done.

Reactions: jhmossy
I think it appears strong because of some of the weakness at the top. Those teams would have fewer big wins if the teams at the top were more dominant and losing less.

Also, UVA is probably gonna be a 6/7 seed when it’s all said and done.

It’ll be interesting because our NET probably won’t justify a 6/7 seed. But we’ll probably be a top 25 team. I’d prefer to get off the 8/9 line if possible but I’m honestly just happy we’re in considering how we looked at the beginning of the year.

It’ll be interesting because our NET probably won’t justify a 6/7 seed. But we’ll probably be a top 25 team. I’d prefer to get off the 8/9 line if possible but I’m honestly just happy we’re in considering how we looked at the beginning of the year.

Unlike the RPI, I think the NET is used more for the quadrants than it is for the actual individual rank of the team being judged. They have moved to a place now where they sort of combine all the advanced ranks that are listed on the page (KenPom, BPI, Sagarin, etc.).

True but they're still 8-9 seeds for a reason. Most of those teams will have double digit losses when the tournament begins. Many of those losses will be to teams they had no business losing to.

8-9 seeds have always been kind of scary but the 1 seeds should usually beat them 75%+ of the time.

In most years, I look at the typical 8-9 as a team that a legit 1 seed should coast past unless they don't show up or the opponents play the game of their lives.

The 10/11 lines look more like a typical set of 8s and 9s to me.

There are some teams in that group that I could see reaching the elite 8 or final 4 with a little luck.

Reactions: jhmossy
In most years, I look at the typical 8-9 as a team that a legit 1 seed should coast past unless they don't show up or the opponents play the game of their lives.

The 10/11 lines look more like a typical set of 8s and 9s to me.

There are some teams in that group that I could see reaching the elite 8 or final 4 with a little luck.
Virginia vs. Kansas would be a pretty fun game to watch. It might be brutal for fans of other teams but it would be a pretty good back and forth defensive matchup. It would probably come down to a 6-0 run by either team to win the game 54-50. Lol

Most of those teams were at one point considered to be strong contenders to win their leagues, and Illinois is currently 2nd in the Big 10.

Last edited:
Yeah...definitely wouldn't fear LSU. They play zero defense.

Not sure about Illinois. Haven't seen them once. Solid coach, though.
I really don't know much about either team. I just know Self has a solid track record against schools from major conferences when his team is 100% healthy.

Which, btw, I'm curious to know how long he lets Azubuike rest. He got beat up against KSU. Tomorrow night should be a win even without him and that guarantees atleast a clinch of the title. I'm already prepared for them to lose on Saturday at Tech. That game would likely be as physical as the game against KSU so I absolutely do not want Self to rush him back in unless he's 100%. I'm fine with him sitting out these last 2 games of the regular season. Bring him back next week so that he doesn't go 3 weeks without playing before the NCAA tournament starts but don't overplay him just to beat Oklahoma State 74-58 in the 2nd round, lol. Self has been known to do that with his high injury risk players in the past.

I really don't know much about either team. I just know Self has a solid track record against schools from major conferences when his team is 100% healthy.

Which, btw, I'm curious to know how long he lets Azubuike rest. He got beat up against KSU. Tomorrow night should be a win even without him and that guarantees atleast a clinch of the title. I'm already prepared for them to lose on Saturday at Tech. That game would likely be as physical as the game against KSU so I absolutely do not want Self to rush him back in unless he's 100%. I'm fine with him sitting out these last 2 games of the regular season. Bring him back next week so that he doesn't go 3 weeks without playing before the NCAA tournament starts but don't overplay him just to beat Oklahoma State 74-58 in the 2nd round, lol. Self has been known to do that with his high injury risk players in the past.
Based my gut feeling; I think the two best teams in the US are Kansas and Baylor. With Azubuike, KU is a tough out for most any team.

On a good night FSU can beat any team there is and if they are shooting well they can simply blow a team out of the gym. Duke on a good night is really capable of beating any team, but they need to bring their "A" defense instead of what we see sometimes. Maryland is good but I still don't see them going past the sweet sixteen.

I think that UK and Auburn can play with any team. If Auburn is hitting threes they are really hard to beat as they play some of the most aggressive man to man defense you can play. If the refs let the fouls go Auburn will beat the crap out of you and win the game.

LSU can play but they are missing some parts. They are similar to Maryland in my estimation.

The Zags I discount. They are not used to playing tough teams on the road that stresses a team out like the B!G, Big 12, ACC, Big East or SEC. I don't stay up to watch the Pac12 games so I know zero to little about them.

The only thing that I know is that the first weekend of the NCAA I will not know shit from applebutter because I will watch so many games that they will all become a blurr. But man is it going to be fun.

I will root for UK and the SEC.
I will root for my friend Mr. Hamilton at Florida State.
I may root just a little for IU and UVA because of two fantastic posters on this board. I can't type their names because they can't be associated with Bert the bigot.

Reactions: GE Nole and olsonab

Sounds like it's a pretty mild sprain. They're calling him questionable for TCU. I'll bet they give him the start because it's senior night but sit him the rest of the game and rest him vs Tech. He should hopefully be good by the Big 12 tourney.

That situation's a little worrisome, but Garrett might be the bigger worry. He's been playing with plantar fascitis for awhile, but apparently had more pain than usual on Saturday, and he wasn't that effective. Has to play through until he can have surgery after the season.

That situation's a little worrisome, but Garrett might be the bigger worry. He's been playing with plantar fascitis for awhile, but apparently had more pain than usual on Saturday, and he wasn't that effective. Has to play through until he can have surgery after the season.
He does? Homeboard gossip or was this reported? I didn't see anything on google.

He does? Homeboard gossip or was this reported? I didn't see anything on google.

The plantar fascitis diagnosis might be message board gossip. Not sure if that's been confirmed.

Here's all I can find at the moment, from a Scott Chasen article:

KU guard Marcus Garrett has also missed time due to injury. He has sustained injuries to each ankle, the latter of which turned into a foot injury that still has him in a walking boot when he moves around campus. Garrett missed the second half of the game against Villanova after hurting his ankle the first time but has since played through the other injuries.

Self commented that he was in pain on Saturday.

Correction from earlier: Illinois is tied for 2nd in the B10. Is that an indictment on the league? How could a team be tied for 2nd in a super conference and be an 8 seed?

No Kentucky fans should point fingers talking about the refs. You guys have been ate up this year.
really?
i guess you have missed all the complaining from ul fans on this board about the refs
selective reading?

Yep. I’ve mostly just seen how sec refs are the devil from you guys. Lol Laughing
just last week you were complaining about all the fouls called in a ul game
imagine have over 50 fouls called in a lot of games ul plays in

UK fans are not whining and complaining (like ul fans were in the link i provided)
UK fans are not complaining on the fouls being one sided, we are complaining about the sheer number of fouls being called, many of them touch fouls that have nothing to do with the play

just last week you were complaining about all the fouls called in a ul game
imagine have over 50 fouls called in a lot of games ul plays in

UK fans are not whining and complaining (like ul fans were in the link i provided)
UK fans are not complaining on the fouls being one sided, we are complaining about the sheer number of fouls being called, many of them touch fouls that have nothing to do with the play
Yet I havent blame the refs for a loss ever. Can’t say the same about you guys.

I put partial blame on the refs for KU's 2016 elite 8 loss to Nova. Can't remember ever blaming refs for another outcome.

Also, the sheer fact Kentucky fans know refs names and follow who’s reffing their games is pretty stupid lol

Yeah, it seems like the type of obsession you'd expect from an Iowa fan or something. A program that needs an edge.

Not the program with the most talent almost every year.

Reactions: UL_1986
Yep. I’ve mostly just seen how sec refs are the devil from you guys. Lol Laughing
I mean, I don't think its a secret SEC refs are unusually terrible compared to the other P5 officiating. Its not a Kentucky thing, its well known amongst CBB fans how poor our conference is in that category.

I mean, I don't think its a secret SEC refs are unusually terrible compared to the other P5 officiating. Its not a Kentucky thing, its well known amongst CBB fans how poor our conference is in that category.
I think the rest of us only hear about SEC officiating from SEC fans. Seems more like the fans of schools in that conference use them to justify why things aren't as peachy as they could be. I certainly wouldn't say it's common knowledge amongst basketball fans.

Reactions: UL_1986

There is a big difference between refs screwing you (or even conspiring against you) in the NCAA tournament and having SEC refs not adequately prepare you for the type of officiating you might receive in the NCAA tourney. Many UK fans argue the former rather than the latter though.

I mean, I don't think its a secret SEC refs are unusually terrible compared to the other P5 officiating. Its a Kentucky thing, its well known amongst Kentucky fans how poor our conference is in that category.
FIFY Winking

There is a big difference between refs screwing you (or even conspiring against you) in the NCAA tournament and having SEC refs not adequately prepare you for the type of officiating you might receive in the NCAA tourney. Many UK fans argue the former rather than the latter though.
89195438_3235887589764461_2696902044962258944_n.jpg

I think the rest of us only hear about SEC officiating from SEC fans. Seems more like the fans of schools in that conference use them to justify why things aren't as peachy as they could be. I certainly wouldn't say it's common knowledge amongst basketball fans.
So what does it say that an entire conference can watch a Big 12 or ACC game and think “the flow of this game is much better, I wish we could play ball like this instead”. It’s not making excuses, just a simple observation. Kind of an odd take from you tbh

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT